CNN: Tsarnaev’s mother added to TIDE list, too

posted at 10:41 am on April 26, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It’s getting difficult to keep up with the Boston Marathon bombing case without a scorecard.  A week ago, the media reported that the FBI received one warning about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, but found nothing of concern at the time in 2011.  Next we discovered that Russia issued multiple warnings to the US about Tamerlan, and this morning that the Joint Terrorism Task Force got alerted to the return of a “suspected militant” on his return — a warning that went nowhere.  Now CNN also reports that Tamerlan wasn’t the only Tsarnaev on Russia’s radar, and that the CIA had added his mother to their Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment (TIDE) database (via JWF):

Zubeidat and Tamerlan Tsarnaev had previously fallen under the suspicion of Russian authorities concerned they were following radical ideologies.

Russian authorities had raised concerns to U.S. authorities about her and her son, sources told CNN. But a U.S. official said that the Russian’s case at the time was “thin.”

Zubeidat Tsarnaev said the FBI had visited her family “several times” in 2011 with questions about her older son’s “Islamic interests.”

U.S. authorities did add Zubeidat Tsarnaev and her older son to the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, or TIDE, database in 2011 — a collection of more than a half million names maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center, an intelligence official said.

Er, won’t that make her return to the US a wee bit awkward? Actually, that may not be a big problem. Zubeidat had already refused to return, but her husband Anzor had agreed to come back to cooperate in the investigation. Shortly after this came to light, his trip to the US got postponed … indefinitely:

The parents of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects have left their home in Dagestan for another part of Russia, the suspects’ mother Zubeidat Tsarnaev told CNN Friday. She said the suspects’ father, Anzor Tsarnaev, is delaying his trip to the United States indefinitely. …

Their father, Anzor, was to fly to the United States as soon as Friday to cooperate in the investigation into the attacks. But his wife called an ambulance for him Thursday.

She told CNN’s Nick Paton Walsh that her husband was delaying the trip for health reasons. She wouldn’t
elaborate.

Anzor Tsarnaev agreed to fly to the United States after FBI agents and Russian officials spoke with them for hours this week at the family’s home.

Meanwhile, the police chief of Watertown disputed reports that Dzhokhar was unarmed when he was captured:

Finally, if you missed this earlier, be sure to catch the story of the carjacking victim. The Boston Globe has an extensive narrative of the crime that finally exposed the Tsarnaevs, which should be read in full. “Danny” was amazingly lucky, but also amazingly cool when it counted:

Suddenly, Danny’s iPhone buzzed. A text from his roommate, wondering in Chinese where he was. Barking at Danny for instructions, Tamerlan used an English-to-Chinese app to text a clunky reply. “I am sick. I am sleeping in a friend’s place tonight.” In a moment, another text, then a call. No one answered. Seconds later, the phone rang again.

“If you say a single word in Chinese, I will kill you right now,” Tamerlan said. Danny understood. His roommate’s boyfriend was on the other end, speaking Mandarin. “I’m sleeping in my friend’s home tonight,” Danny replied in English. “I have to go.”

“Good boy,” Tamerlan said. “Good job.”

The SUV headed for the lights of Soldiers Field Road, banking across River Street to the two open gas stations. Dzhokhar went to fill up using Danny’s credit card, but quickly knocked on the window. “Cash only,” he said, at least at that hour. Tamerlan peeled off $50.

Danny watched Dzhokhar head to the store, struggling to decide if this was his moment — until he stopped thinking about it, and let reflexes kick in.

“I was thinking I must do two things: unfasten my seatbelt and open the door and jump out as quick as I can. If I didn’t make it, he would kill me right out, he would kill me right away,” Danny said. “I just did it. I did it very fast, using my left hand and right hand simultaneously to open the door, unfasten my seatbelt, jump out…and go.”

Be sure to read it all. CNN interviewed Eric Moskowitz, who is standing in for “Danny,” who’d prefer to remain anonymous for as long as possible:

Comments

Terrorism runs in muslim families.

Pork-Chop on April 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

But a U.S. official said that the Russian’s case at the time was “thin.”

She talks as a jihadist every time she opens her mouth. Anybody ask her a question or two?

forest on April 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

There’s just not much reason to follow this or believe much of any of it anymore.

He is, he isn’t. She is, she isn’t. There’s more, there isn’t. He did, he didn’t. Tomorrow will be a whole new round of contradictions to today’s ‘facts’.

Midas on April 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

But a U.S. official said that the Russian’s case at the time was “thin.”

forest on April 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, but she’s a “Knock off Jihadi”

Just ask our Vice President….

ToddPA on April 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

“If they are going to kill him. I don’t care. My oldest son is killed, so I don’t care. I don’t care if my youngest son is going to be killed today. I want the world to hear this. And, I don’t care if I am going to get killed too. And I will say Allahu Akbar!” – Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, mother of the Boston Marathon bombers.

This villainous lunatic witch had better be banned from this country for life. Why do we let people like this in? I think there are more deserving immigrants out there than evil, barbaric crap like her.

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My favorite one was when she was all emotional in the interview and asking why she went to America for asylum… All I could think about is we’re wondering the same thing lady.

Illinidiva on April 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

And yet the Obama Administration has offered the mother immunity from prosecution if she wants to visit her son…

Marcus Traianus on April 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Well, my conclusions are now fully jumped out.

Funny, I was right all along. I (and anybody with half a brain) had called correctly it by 3:30pm on April 15th. And yet, our rat-eared coward has yet to even call it terrorism let along Islamic terrorism. Why do you suppose that is?

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I bet Psycho Matthews would love getting an interview with her. That way, they could both bash Republicans and Christians, all in the name of free speech.

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Circus.

Bishop on April 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Terrorism runs in muslim families.

[Pork-Chop on April 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM]

When it first came out they were brothers, some outlet reported on the the propensity of older brother/younger brother influencing one another. I don’t think it covered mother-son relationships.

Time for an update of that. We also need an update on the America Culture is responsible for this alienation.

Dusty on April 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I think a goodly number of illegal aliens would be more deserving. (And, I am adamantly anti-illegal immigration and oppose all forms of amnesty.)

GWB on April 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

CNN desperate for ratings gives continuing attention to crazy foreign media whore…

No…I wasn’t talking about Piers Morgan…But since he fits the description too CNN is being consistent.

workingclass artist on April 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

All in the family.

fourdeucer on April 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I think she is a nasty piece of work but so much of her behavior appears to be mugging for the cameras.

Who’s going to pay for the funeral? The family? I doubt it.

Blake on April 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

What’s happening to wifey-poo? I still think she’s dirty.

Blake on April 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Dusty on April 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yeah because clearly the Tsarnaev brothers were led astray by Snookie and Jay-Z and there was nothing in their native Chechen culture that would explain how these two men became Islamic terrorists.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM

The LSM are making the whole story as over-complicated as they can. Is it really ‘news’ that a fervent Muslim who raised two sons to commit an act of terror is, well, a fervent Muslim?

The LSM should go back to its usual staple of dumbazz questions, like, “How do you feel about having your legs blown off by two misguided immigrant boys? There were here legally, you know.”

Or, “Does having your legs blown off in any way change your support for president Obama’s immigration reform plan?”

Or, “Do you hold any malice toward these unfortunate boys who allegedly set off a bomb that blew off your legs, or do you feel a sense of the American tradition of empathy for them?”

Inquiring minds want to know!

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Danny had come to the United States in 2009 for a master’s degree, graduated in January 2012, and returned to China to await a work visa. He came back two months ago, leasing a Mercedes and moving into a high-rise with two Chinese friends while diving into a startup. But he told Tamerlan he was still a student and that he had been here barely a year. It seemed to help that Tamerlan had trouble understanding even Danny’s pronunciation of the word “China.”

This is the kind of immigrant we need. Not welfare-loving, America-hating pigs.

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Is every Muslim a ticking terrorist time bomb?

Are they all Cafeteria Muslims until they get the Jihad Fever and go full Islamist?

How can you predict which latent terrorist will emerge from the Islamist cocoon next?

Given Islams’ 14 century history of barbarity and bloody murder, should every Muslim be considered a potential threat? Why not?

News to the fools: When they start talking jihad and spouting “Allahu Akbar!” it is too late, they have the fever, and there is only one cure.

novaculus on April 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Can we stop importing these people now?

happytobehere on April 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

This is the kind of immigrant we need. Not welfare-loving, America-hating pigs.

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

There is pork inthe treetops! I am in total agreement with the fish.

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I hear she gave books to her two darling boys for Eid Al-Fitr…one was called “Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom.” and the other “My Pet Goat…looking for love in Islamabad”

Such a loving mother.

HumpBot Salvation on April 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Is every Muslim a ticking terrorist time bomb?

novaculus on April 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

If I didn’t know better I would think that you are suggesting we should treat Muslims as we treat zombies.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

“How to make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom”

Electrongod on April 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

It has been a week since the brothers Grimm have been identified, and the CIA,FBI and DHS are still spitting out new, discovered info on the pair and their family. The dots have not been connected and never were close to being connected.
No policy, program or system will protect us if information is not acted upon. Sadly, we had information.

Jabberwock on April 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ed should have mentioned that there was no “Coexist” bumper sticker on the back of Danny’s (the carjack victim) car. It is extremely important that we conservatives get stories right if we are going to convince anyone else about what we believe.

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

So today terrorist the younger was armed? Anyone else dizzy with all the backtracking in this case so far?

changer1701 on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

You nitpick like a liberal. Who cares if the bumper sticker existed or not? Danny is not the story; the bumper sticker is not the story. It’s only the irony that caught any notice, and it made the rounds for a tee-hee or two.

Quit nagging like a typical crybaby liberal, wouldya?

It’s boring.

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We Conservatives? You overestimate yourself.

kingsjester on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Yeah, but she’s a “Knock off Jihadi”

Just ask our Vice President….

ToddPA on April 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Biden is a joke. As he would say, It’s the truth, I’m serious, I’m not joking.

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Ha! Chechlish meets Chinglish.

Dusty on April 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Just, you know, asking questions.

novaculus on April 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

The HERO (and I don’t use that term lightly) who is almost singularly responsible for fingering these mad dogs:

[Audio] BOSTON BOMBING HERO JEFF BAUMAN: “HE’S DEAD AND I’M STILL HERE”

TheBigOldDog on April 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We Conservatives? You overestimate yourself.

kingsjester on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

KJ I read it the opposite way.

Thuja underestimates us.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Marcus Traianus on April 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

But the German family who simply wants to home school?
Deport them…in fact, spend the time and energy to change their status in order to do so.

Smart Power!

Mimzey on April 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

But a U.S. official said that the Russian’s case at the time was “thin.”

forest on April 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Reminds me of the movie National Treasure … Agent in charge: “How about now?”

Dasher on April 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quit nagging like a typical crybaby liberal, wouldya?

It’s boring.

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Who cares? Mark Steyn did in a column. Adam Carolla did on the Bill O’Reilly show. It makes us look stupid and gives people license to ignore what we say.

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Er, won’t that make her return to the US a wee bit awkward? Actually, that may not be a big problem. Zubeidat had already refused to return, but her husband Anzor had agreed to come back to cooperate in the investigation. Shortly after this came to light, his trip to the US got postponed … indefinitely:

Send them both to Gitmo. They can’t keep KSM in goats. Maybe he’ll enjoy some Russian outlander.

RovesChins on April 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Who’s going to pay for the funeral? The family? I doubt it.

Blake on April 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I’m sure she will be seeing a financial windfall as the mother of a couple jihadi martyrs.

HumpBot Salvation on April 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ha! You’re about as conservative as one of Rachel Maddow’s farts.
You believe in murdering the innocent.
You’re as delusional as this terrorist b!tch mother.

RovesChins on April 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

But his wife called an ambulance for him Thursday.

After poisoning him?

She looks and sounds like the Wicket With of the North. Her “allahu akbar” is freaky!

PattyJ on April 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The Police Chief says: “it is his understanding” that bomber # 2 had a weapon. The BPD/Watertown PD were on a mission to “kill” for killing one of their own. The only reason they stopped shooting was due to a cross-fire situation and the FBI HRT/SWAT was not in place yet.

The boat contains over 50 bullets on the port side and the fence on the starboard site has over 15 bullets. It would appear that they were shooting from three sides and endangered themselves.

The below pic clearly shows the bullet holes. It is amazing that bomber # 2 is alive:

luckybogey on April 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Still, so what? I wouldn’t care if Rush brought it up (he didn’t far as I know), because it’s not a factor in the story. Now, if the Bomber Brothers allegedly had one, and it’s not true, I could see your point to a degree. Otherwise, it’s just another urban legend that’s good for a passing laugh.

Posturing? Pffft! YOU are the one freaking out over the matter, not me.

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

luckybogey on April 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wish the younger one was toes up too.
That would really put a bug up the terrorist parent’s butt.

RovesChins on April 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

luckybogey on April 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Great photo!

Blake on April 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

That’s quite a few “potential Al-Q affiliates” for a core group of two dozen religion hijackers isn’t it?

BL@KBIRD on April 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

So many stories. So many “corrections”.

Why doesn’t someone just start telling the truth.

GarandFan on April 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Jeepers, a whole family of lone wolves.

petefrt on April 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM

But his wife called an ambulance for him Thursday.

After poisoning him?

PattyJ on April 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

His ‘wife’? Funny that, I read reports saying that they were divorced or separated or something, and that they lived in different areas of Russia or Dagestan since they left the US.

jimver on April 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Be sure to read it all. CNN interviewed Eric Moskowitz, who is standing in for “Danny,” who’d prefer to remain anonymous for as long as possible.

Danny’s ordeal reads like a scene out of a Hollywood movie, in which a couple of not too bright terrorists car jack a smarter guy.

farsighted on April 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Why doesn’t someone just start telling the truth.

GarandFan on April 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

That would confuse and confound liberals.

Liam on April 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Gotta confuse the story…

No one remembers the complex story and the. You can make a simple statement to classify it… Like “they were domestic terrorists…”

Skywise on April 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

He doesn’t know?!

That gun is primary evidence of an attempt to kill cops!!

somebody has it… Right?!

“Top men”

Skywise on April 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Always a fool, Colmes, the lost.

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Skywise

His statement gave him an “out” and at the same time he protects his police officers.

On another note, I found it interesting that Danny (M-B owner) said that “Tamerlan told him that he [Tamerlan] killed the officer.”

I can see Jahar’s defense already. He will say that he did not shoot anyone and has not touched nor fired any weapons and that Tamerlan made him place one bomb and he was only attempting to get away from the police trying to kill him without due process.
Prediction: Jahar will not get the death penalty and might even get out of jail before he is 40 years old…

From Jahar’s Twitter account:

A good lawyer knows the law; a clever one takes the judge to lunch. Apr 06, 2012

luckybogey on April 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

When is this woman, who is supposedly grieving for her dead son, going to make arrangements to have him buried? Or is the US going to have to pay for that too?

scalleywag on April 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I actually care about GOP victories in 2014 and 2016. I think you just want to posture. [emphasis mine]

thuja on April 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

IRONY ALERT.

Talk about posturing! Caring about GOP victories doesn’t make you any more conservative than going to church makes me “Christian.” Try again, ghoul.

gryphon202 on April 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

When is this woman, . . .going to make arrangements to have him buried? scalleywag on April 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Feed ‘him’ to the fishes!

“Let’s Roll”