As expected: Tsarnaevs discussed bombing Times Square, sources say

posted at 1:21 pm on April 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

So this is what Dzhokhar meant when he said they were headed to Manhattan to “party.”

The surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect has told investigators that he and his brother discussed detonating the rest of their explosives in Times Square, senior law enforcement officials told NBC News on Thursday.

The surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, initially told investigators that they planned to go to New York to party after the Boston attack, one source said. The New York police commissioner also gave this account Wednesday.

Under subsequent questioning, the officials said, Tsarnaev said that the brothers had discussed a follow-up attack on Times Square.

The officials cautioned that the idea was undeveloped. One senior official described the plan as “aspirational at most.”

Not sure what “aspirational” means in this context. They had working bombs on them when the cops caught up to them. If they had left Boston sooner, the only thing stopping them from executing the plan was the NYPD’s ability to spot something fishy before the feds had publicly identified them. By “aspirational,” I think all NBC’s sources are saying is that the Tsarnaevs hadn’t fully committed to doing it, or doing it in Times Square specifically, yet. If they’d made it, though, I wonder if their M.O. would have been different. One of the small but important flaws in their marathon plan was putting the bombs on the ground, which kept the blast low and produced lots of severed legs but no severed heads. Would they have learned from that and placed the bombs higher next time to maximize fatalities? Another thing: When did Dzhokhar tell the cops that they were thinking about bombing Times Square? Sounds like new information, but according to the AP and Fox News, he supposedly clammed up after that magistrate gave him the Miranda warnings. Maybe he’s talking again.

While you mull that, enjoy mama Tsarnaev wondering if maybe the blood on the sidewalk at the marathon was paint. Apparently she saw a video to that effect, so you know there must be something to it. Rest assured, Tsarnaev sympathizers will try to spin this away as a grieving mother being unable to face painful truths about her sons, but I’d be more sympathetic to that explanation if I hadn’t read stuff like this:

The mother of Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev knew as early as 2011 that her son had been radicalized and sent text messages to family in Russia suggesting he was willing to die for Islam, the FBI told lawmakers this week according to two officials with knowledge of the Capitol Hill briefing.

That’ll be spun away too as evidence only that Tamerlan was willing to go to Chechnya and fight the Russians, not that he was willing to blow up eight-year-olds here, but that’s goofy. Just this morning, the BBC reported that European intelligence is biting its fingernails over hundreds of native-born Muslims heading off to Syria to fight. What they learn there, ideologically and technologically, comes back home with them. If I had to bet, I’d bet that it was mama Tsarnaev’s texts that were intercepted by Russian intel and that spurred them to contact the FBI initially about Tamerlan in 2011. Why the feds didn’t take that more seriously, I still don’t understand. Neither do members of Congress.

Watch the second clip below too of the mother blaming “America” for taking her sons from her. America took them in, gave them an education, gave them welfare, gave her youngest son scholarship money, and yet here we are. “Why did they kill him? Why did they have to kill him? They got him alive. He was in their hands,” she said at her press conference. As a rebuttal to that, I’ll leave you with this:

Mike Doucette, 27, a chimney sweep who lives on the street, described seeing one brother shot and fall to the ground. He was still moving when the other brother went “screaming up the street” in the S.U.V.

“I yelled to the cops, ‘Watch out!’ ” Mr. Doucette said in an interview. But the car hit the wounded brother, he said, and “his body was tumbling underneath.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We need a reprise of that great poem about running over your brother. Anyone save it?

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

He blew right over that speed bump.
I hope this mother is tortured until the day she dies.

RovesChins on April 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Liam on April 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

“insane” is the operative word here.

itsacookbook on April 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Will the 19yr old get another murder charge for willfully running over his brother?

NickelAndDime on April 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Hell, I’d vote to give him an award for that.

Resist We Much on April 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

How many television channels is this woman going to appear on? I’ve already seen numerous photos of her that are posed.

Blake on April 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

So, are the russians buying into this ladies, BS?

Blake on April 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Why the feds didn’t take that more seriously, I still don’t understand.

C’mon, Allah. You aren’t that naive.

Resist We Much on April 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

[NickelAndDime on April 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM]

Road rage.

Dusty on April 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I think this woman was into it up to her eyeballs. She radicalized him. It may have even been more than that. He looked just like his Father when Dad was young. I know that sounds gross but these people aren’t exactly civilized.

There’s a lot more that can be said about this. Abandoned by Mom and Dad? No jobs?

Vince on April 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM

It’s sounded like the CIA took it more seriously and that the FBI didn’t. Who controls the keyboard on the TIDE computer?

Dusty on April 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Vince on April 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Wait until the defense starts presenting her to the jury as a nasty piece of work. She will go ballistic.

Blake on April 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

The old crone yelled out “Allahu Akbar!”

Translation:

SCOREBOARD!!!

Red Creek on April 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM

[NickelAndDime on April 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM]

Road rage.

His defense attorney: “Please, your honor, be gracious and spare him for his mother’s sake, as he is now her only living child!!”

hawkeye54 on April 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Why the feds didn’t take that more seriously, I still don’t understand.

C’mon, Allah. You aren’t that naive.

Resist We Much on April 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Always the benefit of the doubt.

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Mama Tsarnaev is a shoplifting, lying, terrorist-sympathizing LOSER. Uncle Ruslan must burn with shame anytime that side of the family opens their crazy mouths.

EarthToZoey on April 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Hey, what’s the status on Mama getting into the country for the funeral?

While I’m at it, what’s the status on the funeral?

Dusty on April 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

So, are the russians buying into this ladies, BS?

Blake on April 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Snort. If I were he I’d be trying like hell to get back here and stay here. Somehow I think old Lord and Taylor will be a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Why the feds didn’t take that more seriously, I still don’t understand.

C’mon, Allah. You aren’t that naive.

Resist We Much on April 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Always the benefit of the doubt.

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Chalk it up to banhammerphobia. :-)

Resist We Much on April 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Anyone want to get a facial from Mama?

DrStock on April 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The mom is a real gem.

RedRedRice on April 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

What a despicable lying pos cretin this woman is. She is ugly too.

I wouldn’t want to run into either of her sons unless I was driving a car or a bus.

SparkPlug on April 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Evil, barbaric, worthless terrorist family.

Don’t want people like this in our country!

bluegill on April 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

SparkPlug on April 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Hahaha, exactly.

bluegill on April 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I hope this mother is tortured until the day she dies.

RovesChins on April 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

+1000 – but let her take her grief with her, back to her home country – she’s insulted us enough. Get the hell out.

Hill60 on April 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

In this case the apples didn’t fall too far from the tree….

Caper29 on April 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Video’s like this simply reinforce why we need to quit importing people like this – who in their right mind thinks doing this is in the best interest of the US?

celt on April 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

celt on April 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Agree. No more muslim immigration. Do it for eight-year old Martin Richard.

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Mama sounds like a scam artist. Daily beast interview with woman who got facials from mama

In my last year of college I was getting a facial from her, and asking her about why she had originally come to the United States with her family about eight or ten years previously. She told me that she and her husband had been lawyers and political activists in Russia. They had fled the country after “something that her husband did.

So mama was an activist. Just a little old community organizer from chechenya. In chechenya, the black widows, the women terrorists are encouraged. The Moscow theater bombing, I think also the subway bombing were black widows

Mama and Daddy both bail out of the country before the bombing. The ‘kids’ called Mama while on their spree to ‘tell her they love her’

Throw Tamerlan’s american wife into this lying mix. She called up her husband to warn him his picture was being shown on tv as the bomber. She didnt call the authorities

According to those officials, Dzokhar Tsarnaev told interrogators that the information that set in motion the series of events leading to Tamerlan’s death and Dzokhar’s apprehension came in a phone call from Katherine Russell Tsarnaeva to her husband. “She notified him and there certainly didn’t seem to be any notion of surprise – just a report that ‘you’re being watched,’” said one official with knowledge of the investigation. Tsarnaev had seen the photographs and videos distributed by the FBI on television and called her husband to give him a heads up.

After receiving that phone call, authorities believe, Tamerlan decided he could not continue to hide from law enforcement and triggered the brothers’ bizarre flight from authorities – a wild chase that included the murder of an MIT police officer, a convenience-store robbery, a carjacking, shootouts with police officers, the death of Tamerlan and the capture of Dzokhar.

Yeah, innocent bystander

entagor on April 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Ukrainian Rutgers student arrested taking two IEDs into New York just a week before Boston Marathon bombing

Just eight days before three people were killed and more than 260 people were injured in the Boston Marathon bombing, a Ukrainian student was arrested in New Jersey carrying two homemade devices.

Sharke on April 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Islam is my faith, Caucasian’s my race. I left some skidmarks on my big brother’s face. #apoemfordzhokhar
12:52 PM – 22 Apr 2013

I don’t know if this is the one you meant but there are many other poems in the HOTAIR archives for April 22.

talkingpoints on April 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

12:52 PM – 22 Apr 2013

talkingpoints on April 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Still LMAO over that one.

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Just an editorial question. Could we maybe get away from personalizing terrorists by just using their first names as if they are friends or colleagues?

What’s wrong with live terrorist and dead terrorist?

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I think it is insensitive to the families of those who died, the 30 plus who lost limbs and the nearly 200 who were injured to be treating this like some reality TV program.

fight like a girl on April 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

On the one hand, I see some of these Muslims who literally jump for joy after one of theirs kills Americans (or Israelis, Jews, Christians), but then they start denying that the event ever happened, or they claim the terrorist attack was a conspiracy of the U.S. government.

How can these Muslims on the one hand claim responsibility for the acts and show pride in it, but two seconds later, claim they (or Islam or their Muslim family member) had nothing to do with it????

What is the deal with the mental gymnastics where some Muslims want credit for terrorist attacks and deaths in the name of Islam, but then turn around and do not?

TigerPaw on April 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The guys had blown up bombs in the middle of Boston and gunned down a police officer in cold blood, how much more inspired did they need to be. Why is the media always downplaying these sociopaths?

Cindy Munford on April 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Cindy Munford on April 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Let’s not forget the police officer who was critically wounded as well.

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

What’s wrong with live terrorist and dead terrorist?

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Roadkill and Roadkillenabler?

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

TigerPaw on April 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Oh, this is an easy question to answer. Muslims blow stuff up, kill people, whatever. The community rejoices because they love it. But then they play the “radical Islam” card and claim that these people don’t represent the religion of peace. Some would call it hypocrisy, I call it bait and switch.

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Roadkill and Roadkillenabler?

katy the mean old lady on April 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

That works too but if we are going in that direction I would prefer:

Speeder and Speed Bump.

Happy Nomad on April 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

#apoemfordzhokhar 12:52 PM – 22 Apr 2013

talkingpoints on April 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Aye, that’s the one. Thanks.

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Isn’t Mama Tsarnaev back in the U.S.?

Here’s hoping a Boston bus driver recognizes her in the crosswalk …

M240H on April 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I doubt she’s ever coming back since she’s presently a fugitive with unrelated felony charges.

NorthernCross on April 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Who gave this woman the right to speak? Did she get approval from the mullahs first?

LaughterJones on April 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Sharke on April 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

good link, thanks

entagor on April 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

There’s only one piece of music that this women inspires.

Trout Mask Replica.

profitsbeard on April 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

“If they are going to kill him. I don’t care. My oldest son is killed, so I don’t care. I don’t care if my youngest son is going to be killed today. I want the world to hear this. And, I don’t care if I am going to get killed too. And I will say Allahu Akbar!” – Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, mother of the Boston Marathon bombers.

This is what we’re dealing with.

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Deport this lowlife now!

kregg on April 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM

“When I, a thoughtful and unblessed Presbyterian, examine the Koran, I know that beyond any question every Mohammedan is insane, not in all things, but in religious matters. I cannot prove to him that he is insane, because you never can prove anything to a lunatic—for that is a part of his insanity and the evidence of it.”
– Mark Twain

JAM on April 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I always have said, after reading that piece of vile trash, that if the Devil had ever written his own book, the koran was it.
Maybe the Devil did write it. That would explain a lot.

This is what we’re dealing with.

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Another reason to restrict further &/or deny immigration from all muslim countries.
The problem with islam is that it’s not just a religion. It’s a political ideology & it is incompatible with Western ideals of Liberty & Freedom.
Their own book commands them to displace all other religions & govts in favor of the caliphate.
I’m not in favor of religious discrimination, even to satanist, wiccans, etc. But in this case, considering that muslims by default believe in the overthrowing of a govt for sharia, I guess I’m open to some harsh considerations regarding their immigration.
Of course in the end, any immigrant who comes here needs to be forced to assimilate or they they need to be deported.

Badger40 on April 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Badger40 on April 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Sounds good to me. Especially the last line

bluegill on April 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Sung as a ballad, sotto voce

Jo-far, Jo-far, why’d you run me over with that car?
I-bled, you-fled, then you skidded on my head

Hmm-hmm, Hmm-hmm

Jo-far, Jo-far, the police filled me full of bullet holes- but I wasn’t dead, and with Obama probably eligible for pa-role

Hmm-hmm, Hmm-hmm

Jo-far, Jo-far, we know that mommas a lunatic- she must have been hit in the head with a brick

Hmm-hmm, Hmm-hmm

Marcus Traianus on April 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Dusty on April 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM

How about the Westboro morons announcing they will picket the victims’ funerals? You will not they were intelligent enough to stay AWAY from little Martin’s funeral.

PJ Emeritus on April 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

What say we ship Mom off to Saudi Arabia?

With a Bible in her luggage.

mojo on April 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

So, are the russians buying into this ladies, BS?

Blake on April 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Actually, she’ll prove to be a bonanza of a honeypot for the Speznatz IYKWIMAITYD.

AH_C on April 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM

This women seems to be perfect for a tenured position at Columbia U. Wouldn’t be surprised if she lands an office next to Ayers.

Chessplayer on April 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

One possibly positive result of this whole horror story is that Americans, maybe even a few liberals, can see just how crazy Muslims can be. Even young nice looking ones you’d think from previous behavior were “moderate”. I strongly believe Islam simply makes many simply insane.

Chessplayer on April 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

“The NYPD might have stopped the Tsarnaev brothers before they started.”

While the Boston Police Department responded effectively to last week’s marathon bombing, terrorism experts say that the attack, which killed three and injured more than 200, might well have been prevented had the perpetrators lived in New York City. . . .

Judith Miller, City Journal headline

go bloomberg?

maverick muse on April 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Just to say something nice about this poor women. She does have the classic good looks of Marty Feldman.

Zorro Olmer on April 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

“The NYPD might have stopped the Tsarnaev brothers before they started.”

Judith Miller, City Journal headline

Bwahahaha. The mayor who couldn’t keep NYC safe from a snow storm last year nor a “super” (NOT) storm Sandy? Yet he and his Keystone Kops would have single-handedly stopped the T-bros? What by nanny-ing them with bans on fireworks & guns? Oh wait, didn’t Boston have same?

AH_C on April 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

It’s really too bad this delusional hating hag doesn’t wear a burka. Why did she even go to America, she asks? The answer is so that she could take advantage of all the free welfare goodies and spend her time perfecting her hate of the infidel and nurturing her sons into murderous action.

maryo on April 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

If Obama had a mother, she would look like this.

Zorgon on April 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Why would he cop to it? Something isn’t sequitur with this.

They report this guy’s assertions like everything he says is the unquestionable truth. I’ve never seen that sort of thing before with an interrogated terrorist, or any criminal suspect. Even waterboarded terrorists have what is said verified before it is believed.

But then on this New York thing, he changes his mind? If you are taking everything he says as gospel, why did you get him to change his original New York version? If you had some evidence that contradicted his New York and he changed after being shown the evidence, then that was the only thing he said that you had the ability to corroborate, and on that he lied. So why would anything he says be believed?

The alternative is that he lied and then felt bad about lying and called the interrogators back and said: “hey, I feel bad because I told one lie but everything else I said was true and I’d like to fess up to that lie and tell you what really happened, now.”. Seems unlikely that he’d do that.

If neither of those things happened, then there are important people who wanted the new New York story because it fits part of their agenda. All I can guess about that is that it means more taxpayer money for these New York politicians, lawyers and mafioso types who soaked us after Sandy, or more excuses for limitations on freedom for New York so they pleaded with the suspect to go with the Time’s Square narrative.

Buddahpundit on April 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM