Fox News poll: Why yes, most Americans would like a gun when there’s a manhunt going on outside

posted at 12:41 pm on April 24, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Well, get a load of this. On Sunday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein appeared on Fox News to discuss last week’s attack in Boston and terrorism in general, and Chris Wallace wondered whether the people in locked-down Boston last week, with concerns that “this fellow might be on the loose, might break into their house, might take hostages — would people like to have had guns?” “Oh, some may have, yes,” replied Feinstein.

But it isn’t just “some” Americans who would be partial to having the means to defend themselves from violent criminals on the loose in their neighborhood; as it turns out, a large majority of them do, including half of the people in even non-gun-owning households.

If you were in that situation, would you want a gun at your side?

Most American voters say yes, according to a new Fox News poll.

Sixty-nine percent say if they were in a situation similar to Bostonians, they would want a gun in their house.

That includes a large 88-percent majority of those in gun-owner households, as well as 50 percent of those in non-gun homes. …

In general, more voters think protecting the constitutional right to own a gun is a higher priority than protecting citizens from gun violence (53-42 percent).  That’s mostly unchanged since January, when it was 51-40 percent.

But Feinstein went on: “Oh, some may have, yes, but if where you’re going is, do they need an assault weapon, I don’t think so. … You can use a 12-gauge shotgun and have a good defensive effect, and there’s the element of surprise. Now you’ve got police all over the place in Watertown, so, I don’t really think that this is applicable. I think, there are people that want to make this argument, but a 12-guage shotgun, there are many weapons… that are available to people for choice without an assault weapon.”

…Wow. Firstly, I’m not sure what that non sequitur about “the element of surprise” was about, since you can have an element of surprise with an AR-15 just as well as a shotgun, and secondly, the police can’t be everywhere at once, and I’m sure many of them would appreciate a responsible and armed citizenry that effectively expands the reach of their apprehending capabilities. I still can’t wrap my head around where she’s getting this completely arbitrary “assault weapon” definition, since guns that can be used for effective self-defense can be just as effective at violently “assaulting” people, and vice versa — and enough with this brazen nonsense that an AR-15 isn’t an excellent, manageable choice for self-defense. As Katie Pavlich pointed out last night, it absolutely and demonstrably is:

Jasper Brisbon, 32, wandered up to a couple late Friday at the Lynnewood Apartments as the pair spoke outside their unit. Brisbon, they told police, appeared to be on drugs. He stared at the pair for several minutes before the couple decided to go into their apartment, police said.

But as they entered their home Brisbon jumped between them, forcing his way in.

The male of the couple ran to get a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle and insisted Brisbon leave. Brisbon refused. Instead, as the man yelled “Stop! Stop Stop!” Brisbon moved menacingly toward the man, police said.

The man fired a shot striking Brisbon in the torso and immediately called 911, police said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bitter clingers.

CDeb on April 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Well Duh…

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

90% of DiFi’s brain has been sequestered.

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Coming from a woman who had a concealed carry permit….

EnglishRogue on April 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

“Now you’ve got police all over the place in Watertown, so, I don’t really think that this is applicable.”

Maybe, but they weren’t in peoples’ homes, protecting them from an invader. She’s an idiot.

Ward Cleaver on April 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Just get a shotgun and shoot through the door into whatever is on the other side.

Easy.

Good Lt on April 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

DiFi: Liberalism at its depth.

Bitter Clinger on April 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yeah but some homeowners probably could have used some Civil protection against the police in Watertown..

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So this is no longer a ridiculous biden gaffe. It is an official talking point. Wow is right.

Spectreman on April 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

All firearms are basically machine guns if you consider they are composed of simple machines like the screw, wedge, wheel & axle, inclined plane and lever.

fourdeucer on April 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

“Oh, some may have, yes, and as the superior ideology I practice compels me to do, I have decided for them”

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You’ll have to pardon Lady Di. She’s senile and really wants to relive the past, when the AWB was in effect and her’s was a household name (or curse depending on your view).

GarandFan on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Why yes, people should have shotguns to defend themselves. Ahem.

DTTS on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Geee- were all those police and SWAT and military guys toting around shotguns? Nope – M4′s or whatever. So, those guys need M4′s but we peons should only have shotguns. That makes sense.

Free Indeed on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Yes, but DiFi and her ilk will decide who among us that would like a gun might be allowed to have one, what type, how many bullets can be loaded in it, how many bullets we are allowed to have at any one time, how much in taxes its going to cost us to have one, and the privilege in owning guns bestowed upon us by our benevolent political elites subject to revocation and seizure any time it pleases them.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Chris of Rights on April 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Shut Up.

Try your own advise.
When theres a manhunt for your rights, advocated by the like of you, why don’t you try shouting thru the door instead of yabbering the same crap on television?
It might work. Give it a try.

Mimzey on April 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Spectreman on April 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I laugh, because I watched that video with women getting knocked to the ground using a 12 gauge. My husband and I recently went to buy a handgun, and I got to hold an AR-15– That line of thinking is so ludicrous. I am 5 ft nothing, and the AR is lighter and much easier to handle like it was almost built for a woman in mind. :)

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Free Indeed on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Feinstein has transitioned into one of the stupidest scumhags in DC. It’s a shame they don’t retire when they have a drop of decency left. May the creches engulf all of them, soon.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

That is, if they are available at all. Your helpful and courteous 911 operator will get back to you on that one. Just remember, kids, it isn’t your place to take the law into your own hands with guns…..just wait out the crisis, leave the gun duels to professionals, if and when they come, and pray for the best possible outcome.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Guns are the only tried and true method of stopping a terrorist trying to enter your home. Hanging cloves of garlic on your windows is not always effective.

MaiDee on April 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Feinstein has transitioned into one of the stupidest scumhags in DC.

What transitioned??? She’s been that way ever since she was SF mayor….and probably before that. She merely changed location.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Blunderbuss.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Hanging cloves of garlic on your windows is not always effective.

MaiDee on April 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

That’ll probably keep DiFi away, though.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Blunderbuss.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think a GE M134 mini gun would be more fun! :)

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Police may have been “all around the place” in Wattertown, but that doesn’t mean they could have gotten there in time if the terrorist broke into their home….Think about the old guy and the boat.It could have turned out very differently if he choose to enter the house and the guy wasn’t armed….

sandee on April 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Blunderbuss.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

that’ll do in a pinch.

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

In Boston, they lock down the entire city and advise ‘Shelter in Place’ for one terrorist. In Texas, they’d just have announced ‘Open Season’ and been done with it. It would have been a commercial length version of ‘The Running Man’.

michaelo on April 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Actually, I just want to be able to shoot through the front door when the Schwann’s guy rings the bell.

Thomas More on April 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Now *that* is gun control!

Free Indeed on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Exactly! If those weapons are unnecessary, then the police can safely get rid of them, correct?

GWB on April 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thomas More on April 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

And the Kirby Salesman..

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Watertown was on lock down for hours with cops of every sort running around literally going door-to-door. Yet, it was a guy whose wife wouldn’t let him smoke in the house who noticed that his boat cover had blood smears. Yeah, sane people wouldn’t think they need weapons in that situation.

And BTW- Some dessicated prune from San Francisco doesn’t get to decide these things. The right to keep and bear arms is a civil right enumerated in the Constitution (one of the few things in DC older than this hag).

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My 18 year-old son observed that the guy in Boston could have saved the police a lot of trouble if he had had a gun in his hand when he found the second bomber passed out in his boat. He would have been able to keep the kid covered while called 911 and police could have walked up and arrested him without incident. It would have saved the kid the throat injury that he suffered when he tried to shoot himself to avoid capture.

But that’s just crazy talk. It would have been better if he would have just blasted through the side of the boat with his 12 gauge.

Problem solved.

Lily on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I’d prefer a P-90. Ergonomic, Lefties can use w/o modification, 90 rounds, no waiting.

Plus they’re damn sexy.

The_Livewire on April 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I still would like to know what the purpose of the no-fly zone over Watertown was.

Who knows….maybe the most un-prepared muslim terrorists in nearly a decade had one of these squirreled away.

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Heh. She’s stupid. Imagine if you were the guy whose house overlooked the initial gunfight between the cops and the brothers.

At the range from where he snapped pictures, I’d rather have an AR-15 than a shotgun to take them down. I’m mean one could use deer slugs, but it would brisker shooting it what with the noise, recoil and if not semiauto, having to pump it. At least you could get several 223 rounds off before they even knew where you were shooting from.

AH_C on April 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

LOL. Like I’m going to solicit defensive firearms tactics from a senile old dingbat who wouldn’t recognize a shotgun from a BB gun even it grew wings, flew up and bit her on the ass.

tommyboy on April 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Isn’t it interesting, how the political pigs in perpetuity never let the People choose?

For those who choose not to be armed, be unarmed.

For those who choose to be armed, be armed – with the firearms that you see fit.

Now, was that so hard?

They are nothing but political pigs in perpetuity, who demand that they lord over us.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Drats

BobMbx’s Lunch Post (take 2)

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Remind us again who actually discovered the hiding place of the terrorist. So all those police participating in the manhunt really weren’t of value until told where he was. Just think ( idle speculation) what if he had broken into the actual house rather than hide out in the boat. What would have happened to the residents while the massive manhunt was going on.

chemman on April 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Clear the air for police copters and drones? For sure keep the newsies away.

AH_C on April 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Problem solved.

Lily on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

That is crazy talk. We’re talking about MA here. The cops would likely arrest him for brandishing a weapon outside his home- even if he was covering a Islamic terrorist.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM

GarandFan on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

One thing they have accomplished is that all their fanatical suggestions for implementing onerous new gun legislation has resulted in shortages across the board for certain firearms, ammo and accessories. Usually when I go to the range there are at least a half dozen other people shooting, last Monday I had the range to myself for a couple hours.

fourdeucer on April 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM

But she’s “seen the bullets that implode”!

Curtiss on April 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Dianne Feinstein is not an expert on personal or home defense in general, nor is she knowledgeable about my particular risks, threats, defenses, ability to respond, or law enforcement resources available to respond to me or their time to do so, nor anybody else’s. As such, she is not in a position to know what is reasonable for me when the defense of my own life is at stake, and she is not in a position to decide when she isn’t willing to take personal responsibility for my safety nor allow me or anyone else to hold the government responsible for it. And that goes for Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, Mike Bloomberg, and all the rest of the gun-grabbers. They won’t put up, so they can just shut up.

And if you want a good reason why you might need an AR-15 or more than a 10-round magazine, read this.

Socratease on April 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Blunderbuss.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think a GE M134 mini gun would be more fun! :)

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

If you have a large enough foyer or front hallway, a good old fashioned Napoleonic style cannon can be effective as well.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

BobMbx on April 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

That crossed my mind when they announced it. The conclusion I came to was they didn’t want the media copters to find him before the cops did, would have been too embarrassing.

Oh, and DiFi is an idiot of unequalled magnitude.

D-fusit on April 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

How different would have been the situation if the homeowner discovered Tsarnayev was near by the bomber kicking in his door instead and was left without means to defend himself by MA liberals?

Or suppose he had a shotgun and went to get it, while Tsarnaev grabbed the wife and used her for a human shield? At least with an AR you can put a round into a criminal’s head in such a circumstance, but you dare not try with a shotgun.

Gun grabbers aren’t only willfully ignorant of guns in general. They also lack any kind of idea of different possible circumstances.

Liam on April 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

And bayonets. Don’t forget bayonets.

tommyboy on April 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

As a former member of the Marine Corps let me just say that had the knuckle heads in CT or CO used open bore shotguns loaded with either buck shot or slugss there would have been more dead than there were. When clearing a building Shotguns are superior to “assault weapons” because they can clear a room with a single shot. AR-15s are best suited for engaging enemies 50 or more yards away. With any rifle style weapon being used in close range you increase the survivability of your target because the bullet often passes right through without a lot of damage.

In addition most petit women and some small men would have trouble firing a 12 guage shotgun. They have one heck of a kick.

This is why troops in Vietnam would fight over combat shotguns. As a result of the jungle the fighting was usually in close.

This is the problem with idiots who have never owned/fired/or read capabilities of weapons making decisions about gun control. There assumptions are wrong.

huskerthom on April 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

And bayonets. Don’t forget bayonets.

tommyboy on April 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Sure. Load ‘em into the cannon, along with some old silverware, broken drill bits, and anything else you can find under the workbench.

Chain-shot makes a hell of a mess too.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Ah, clear the porch with a taste of grapeshot. :)

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I could see where those not familiar with firearms might recommend a shotgun for personal safety. But, those that are familiar with many types of firearms may choose an AR15 or pistol of choice. The point is, they should have the choice and not be told what to choose.

DDay on April 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Heh. Before the AR-15 got redefined as an ‘assault weapon’ by the propagandists (because it looked like Hollywood’s idea of dangerous), it was recommended by my local gun shop as a nice lady’s gun, being so light, and using a small caliber bullet, 22.

This family of guns used to be the lady’s choice in Olympic shoot and ski type events

Sad to watch politicians and their lap dogs, the MSM, changing the story continuously as the prior story gets shut down. It is damnable lying to your face that is worse then their lies

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

They cannot let you choose, because you may choose wrong. From owning a gun, to Big Gulps, the dirty masses must not be unleashed.

These politicians fear liberty. They crave obedience

entagor on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Feinstein has transitioned into one of the stupidest scumhags in DC.

There is so much competition to be the stupidest in DC, I doubt DiFi would make into the top 25 stupidest there. I mean, there are many, many contenders.

May the creches engulf all of them, soon.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM

It’s April 24. I don’t think we’ll see a lot of creches around until Christmastime.

J.S.K. on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Coming from a woman who had a concealed carry permit….

EnglishRogue on April 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This says it all. No further comment.

slickwillie2001 on April 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

J.S.K. on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You picked one meaning.

I meant the places where they take care of children, or in this case the incontinent elderly.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

J.S.K. on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Except, most of them were stupid in the first place. She wasn’t at one point.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

entagor on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Don’t forget how you might spend a tax cut correctly either.

/this crap goes way back with the dems

AZfederalist on April 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Might NOT spend a tax cut correctly

FIFme

AZfederalist on April 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

MCain and the other 3 idiots who voted with him, go to Hades, pronto, and burn in the hottest section, you fools.

That both senators from AZ voted thusly is very telling.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Heck yeah a 12 gauge is okay with me. Just let me get some rock salt and bacon rind. Lots of bacon rind. Good enough for my granny, good enough for me.

Jomama on April 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Turns out that on the final vote Flake changed his mind, and went against his buddy, Gifford’s husband, one of the biggest idiots in the land.

Flake voted to get the monster item out of committee, or some such.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Coming from a woman who had a concealed carry permit….

EnglishRogue on April 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This says it all. No further comment.

slickwillie2001 on April 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

She has to carry…..never know when a common peasant might get close enough to make eye contact with, or heaven forbid, touch Lady Di, which may require extreme measures.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

For the correct record:

Four Republicans – Toomey, Susan Collins (Maine), Mark Steven Kirk (Ill.) and John McCain – voted for the background check expansion, while Reid and four Democrats – Max Baucus (Mt.), Mark Begich (Alaska), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.) and Mark Pryor (Ark.) – voted against it.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

What is with Democrats and their weird preoccupation with shotguns?

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

These politicians fear liberty. They crave obedience

entagor on April 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Right now they crave obedience. They dream of the time they demand and get it with severe consequences for those of us who refuse to obey.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Was Reid’s vote procedural, so he can bring it back up again?

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I’m sorry, you just outed yourself as a gun-ignoramus.

Socratease on April 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

What is with Democrats and their weird preoccupation with shotguns?

I dunno. Is it some sort of subconscious symbol for them?

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Only 88%? Must be a lot of marital discord in 12% of households. And it amazes me that 50% confess to being sheep. I mean, I know there are a lot of sheeple out there, but 50% know they are.

Fenris on April 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Dianne Feinstein, gun and self-defense expert. Who knew? Hey DiFi, you don’t tell me what I need and I wont tell you to mind your friggin’ business.

RadClown on April 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

69 percent would want a gun
35 percent lied
6 percent are too stupid to live

aniptofar on April 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Next time you look into a cop car, note the 12ga shot gun attached to the dash. The police usually refer to that as a riot gun. (PS Difi, they don’t shoot through the door)
I’ll take a SPAS 12 for my 12ga. It’s semi auto with a folding stock and pistol grip. Oh by the way, it’s black.
I note that you said “sir” to Chris… mam.

growl on April 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Be the only one on your block with a Bazooka… then, be the only one on your block!

Hill60 on April 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Scatter-gun legislation. Yes, yes, I believe that fits.

AZfederalist on April 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I’m sorry, you just outed yourself as a gun-ignoramus.

Socratease on April 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Maybe they’re anti-skeet guns and have additional room-clearing power in each pellet.

rogerb on April 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I note that you said “sir” to Chris… mam.

growl on April 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Wrong California idiot — that one was Boxer

AZfederalist on April 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Fenris on April 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I object to being called a sheeple. I don’t own a gun although we have been thinking about getting one. Partly because of the pain in the A$$ and uselessness it was to have one when we lived in military housing. My husband retired in February, so we have been thinking about getting one, but we also have to go through a ton of classes since we have a 14 year old and a five year old who do not have training around firearms, and I am a complete gun illiterate. As for home protection, I have a wonderful Boxer dog that turns into Cujo when strangers come around..

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Hey DiFi, the reports I read stated that the police had just finished searching that area and were leaving when the home owner found the alleged killer.

So DiFi, once again you are factually wrong.

RJL on April 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It says nothing about the hassle involved in getting one. It says if you were in that situation, would you like to have one. Like that poll that supposedly says 90% support stronger background checks, you’re answering a different question.

Fenris on April 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

‘Dessicated prune…’ I like that.

Biden, Schumer, Feinstein… It boggles the rationale mind that these three (and far too may of their ilk) are the ‘Leaders of the Free World…’

CaptFlood on April 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m sorry, you just outed yourself as a gun-ignoramus.

Socratease on April 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Magic bullet gun theory.

Resist We Much on April 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

even it grew wings, flew up and bit her on the ass.

tommyboy on April 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I hear tell them sceeery high cap assault mag clips can do that – all by themselves – that’s why they have to be banned….

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I’m sorry, you just outed yourself as a gun-ignoramus.

Socratease on April 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I wouldn’t go quite that far with a combat vet.

They all have good uses – depending on the situation.
If you need to take out a moving burglar in the dark and are concerned about other people in the house, a shotgun with smaller shot can stop him with less chance of a pellet penetrating the drywall. If there’s a potential hostage situation, or some distance, I’d want precision.
That’s why I “celebrate diversity” – one of each, all of them. And I’ll choose the appropriate weapon(s) to have in hand depending on the circumstances.

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My wife had never handled a gun (except for BB guns with cub scouts) until she took her first handgun class last month. She has her own guns now, and is shooting quite well, at least at short range with her .22 pistol – 10 shots all within a pie plate sized target at about 10 yards.
Have the whole family take a basic NRA class, and get the kids started down the right path now.

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I prefer a Bazooka….hell, I figure I might as well
take out the next door neighbor’s fencing, mailbox, and
assorted yard ornaments while I’m at it….

ToddPA on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Blunderbuss.

CurtZHP on April 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think a GE M134 mini gun would be more fun! :)

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

E pluribus unum

All good ideas but crowd sourcing is the way to go; if it was good enough for Grandpa, it’s good enough for me.

;->

Specifically, North Carolina used to have an “Outlaw Statute”. The governor could declare any highly dangerous felon (i.e. aggravated murder on steroids) a legal outlaw. Once declared an outlaw, anyone was within their rights and was held harmless under the law for killing the outlaw on sight.

The last time it was used (see link) the POS contacted his lawyer and arranged to surrender himself to authorities within 24 hours of the newspaper article shown in the link.

He followed in the footsteps of the other 19 outlaws declared during the history of the statute who all decided it was better to be in jail than a “fish in a barrel”.

PolAgnostic on April 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

but, but, but …

… if they just stopped making them, eventually they would all be empty and useless!!!

/sarc … just doesn’t cut it … /brain dead liberal idiocy

PolAgnostic on April 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

That’s funny, I seem to remember while listening to the emergency band during the hunt for these terrorists, the police officers were all looking for a fellow officer with a rifle so that they could better combat the terrorists during the gunfight… so yeah..

ShadowsPawn on April 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

DiFi can’t not use the “assault weapon” name for two reasons. First is she’s just plain stupid. Second, once she acknowledges the “assault weapon” name is just words, she loses the whole argument. That goes back to the first reason, she’s too stupid to realize she’s lost the argument.

TulsAmerican on April 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

but, but, but …

/sarc … just doesn’t cut it … /brain dead liberal idiocy

PolAgnostic on April 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I’m thinking of putting out an ad in craigslist that anyone here in Colorado who has a used up empty, and therefore useless, high cap assault mag clip, can give them to me and I’ll dispose of them in an appropriate manner.
I’m sure anyone who thinks like difi would be relieved to get rid of those dangerous things….

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

PolAgnostic on April 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I’ll bet if they did that in Boston, they would have gotten the scumbags within an hour.

Have you seen the photos some guy took through his window of the shootout right in front of his house (when #1 got killed)?
Imagine if that guy had an AR-15 instead of a cellphone camera?
(and no fear of the cops arresting him for taking out the terrorists?) The whole affair could have ended right there at the first shootout.

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Is California out of walls?

tom daschle concerned on April 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

At heart, all gun control is about making sure the law abiding can’t defend themselves.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

About 200 rounds were exchanged in the late night police bomber boys fire fight. Imagine if the police were limited to 7 rounds Senator? Fool.

diogenes on April 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Bureaucratic “logic”. This reminds me of a time when my husband and I crossed into Canada on the way to Alaska. We had 2 kinds of pepper spray, a personal and “bear” spray. The two are identical except that the “bear” spray had 10x more of the active ingredient than the personal one and it had a picture of a bear on the can. The border agent confiscated the personal spray. He said it was meant for people. He let us keep the “bear” spray because was for bears. He knew that because the can had a picture of a bear on it. Sadly, I am not making this up…….

kimbergrl on April 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Just in case you missed it Senator (and Gov. Cuomo)

diogenes on April 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

dentarthurdent on April 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Thank you.. That is what we are gping to be doing..

My sister in law owns a gun store in Florida so we are waiting to get down to her to buy a gun cheaper and then transfer it to Tennessee.

I think we are looking at a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 or a Smith & Wesson 9mm.

melle1228 on April 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM