Animal-rights activists trash years of autism research in Milan lab raid

posted at 9:21 pm on April 24, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Had this crime been perpetrated by a roving band of evangelicals who object to scientific treatment of autism and schizophrenia, you might have heard a lot about it this week. As it is, that would never happen, and it was animal-rights activists who did the damage. Will the reputation of their cause and mainstream activists have to contend with their actions?

Activists occupied an animal facility at the University of Milan, Italy, at the weekend, releasing mice and rabbits and mixing up cage labels to confuse experimental protocols. Researchers at the university say that it will take years to recover their work.

Many of the animals at the facility are genetic models for psychiatric disorders such as autism and schizophrenia.

No arrests have been made following the 12-hour drama, which took place on Saturday, although the university says that it will press charges against the protesters.

Officials know the organization responsible, they negotiated with them, and have photos of them posted on their social media sites in the act of their crime. Should be pretty easy to prosecute them unless the Italian system is too busy working on Amanda Knox’s extradition:

Five activists entered laboratories in the university’s pharmacology department on Saturday morning. The lack of signs of a break-in suggests that the activists may have used an illegally acquired electronic card, says pharmacologist Francesca Guidobono-Cavalchini, who works there. They prised open the reinforced doors of the facility on the fourth floor, and two of them chained themselves by the neck to the main double doors such that any attempt to open the doors could have endangered their lives.

They posted pictures of themselves on their organisation’s website, where they also declared that they would stay for as long as it took to get agreement to leave with all the animals. The facility hosts around 800 animals, mostly genetically modified mice but also some rabbits, according to Martino Bolognesi, a structural biologist at the university. The activists had brought supplies of food and sleeping bags.

But hey, they’re just there to help the animals:

Some of the mice they removed were delicate mutants and immunosuppressed ‘nude’ mice, which die very quickly outside controlled environments.

Oops. Screw the humans, too:

Michela Matteoli, a neurobiologist who works on autism and other disorders and lost most of her own research in the attack, says that she found some research students crying in the disrupted facility on Monday morning.

“It will take three people at least a year to build up the colonies we had of mouse models of different psychiatric diseases,” she says.

There are, of course, plenty of animal-rights organizations that do good work without being totally insane. I’ve fostered pets for some of them in my community. But animal-rights and environmental extremists have proven to be be capable of lots of damage and widespread, documented criminal activity. Yet they rarely get the press, say, a picture of a rude sign at a Tea Party rally might get. Maybe our more mainstream animal-rights friends could muster some loud denunciations of such tactics to prevent further losses of valuable research. A series of posters, maybe, featuring wasted celebrities stumbling out of swanky nightclubs—Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton, etc. “I’d rather get smashed than smash a lab.”

Although, I sure as hell wouldn’t trust PETA with the mice these guys got away with. Maybe we could chill with the credence we give those guys while we’re at it, too, huh Hollywood? They’d kill your teacup pups quick as look at ‘em.

As a bonus, April is Autism Awareness Month. Way to go, guys.

(Here are a couple links for helping those affected by autism, while these guys are busy tearing down.)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Sorry but I figured…

CW on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Good friend with an autistic child. Barely talks. No bonding.

I’d snap the necks of a 1,000 lab rats to ease her pain. Without hesitation.

It’s not cool. I don’t know about aspbergers, but this wasn’t that. This kid will never be posting like you. He’ll always need care.

……………..

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

WORTH REPEATING.

CW on April 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM

That’s because we decided we didn’t want them, minus possibly the cure for cancer. If half the effort at making electronic toys for adults had gone into such things, you might well see a few of them.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Likewise functional models for medical testing; the point is, we *dont* have them, so saying we *should*, so therefore should abandon alternatives is… well, not logical.

Midas on April 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I’m not going to pretend to know what a parent of a low-functioning autie is feeling/going through. Asperger’s is almost in a category by itself.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I wonder if schizophrenia doesn’t have more to do with mass killings than we know.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I love animals, too. I get it. But I’ll take a child over a lab rat.

For womens make-up? No. For curing disease? Yea.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I don’t know if schizophrenia is directly related to sociopathic behavior. In fact schizophrenia is supposed to effect 1/3% of the population, or 3 in every thousand. Go to a ball game and at least 200 people in the crowd will suffer from it in some form. They can’t all be mass murderers.

danielreyes on April 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

In this day and age, the researchers should be able to do their work using computer models. Testing on animals should be no longer necessary.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I agree that Asperger’s is not your major problem. Ignorance and stupidity are your major problems.

Over50 on April 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

ALT- day by day, I watched part of her heart die. I was her friend and used to babysit. (I love kids) she had triplets. 2 girls and a boy. The girls were fine. He wasn’t. She didn’t understand it. I researched autism, a lot. She’s a smart lady, but accepting it came hard.

I love those kids. They could use ME as a lab rat if I could cure him.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

My younger son is a high-functioning autistic. These self-indulgent, first-world-grievances twits can all die in a fire.

Sekhmet on April 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Over50- eff off. ALT is good people.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

AnI used to work with medical lasers for dermatology and eye surgery and I can say many lab animals were sacrificed unnecessarily for the simple purpose of demonstrating to physicians how the different color lasers reacted with organ tissues. You could have used an apple, banana, pear, or orange and demonstrated the same laser effect.

Animal sacrifice is invaluable for modern research, but it should be done only when necessary and not simply when it’s convenient.

HopeHeFails on April 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

A lot is done because grant money is the basic way to make a living and maintain your credentials. There is all kinds of redundant and stupid research. If you do not use an animal, you aren’t testing.

I walked out of a comparative anatomy class, because I refused to crucify a frog, just to cut him open and see what a beating heart looked like. Lab master agreed later. He told me of the several hundred member class only a few refused. Lazy prof needed to fill lab hours

There is so much cruelty, it is sickening. To see some good exmples go to all-creatures.org scroll down to The Cat to see the part people don’t want to think about.

entagor on April 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

danielreyes on April 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Wow, I had no idea it was that prevalent. I could readily believe it about bi-polar but not so much schizophrenia. You learn something new everyday.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

High-functioning spectrum folks like ALT and my son need some working with. And who doesn’t to a certain extent?

But some folks with autism sit and bang their heads against a wall. All Day. Every Day. Those folks need a cure.

Sekhmet on April 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I’d snap the necks of a 1,000 lab rats to ease her pain. Without hesitation.

The idea that it is moral to cause suffering to others so that your own kind can benefit was the thinking that allowed Nazi doctors to do experiments on prisoners. The calculus is the same. They’d snap the neck of a thousand Jews if it meant saving the life of an Aryan. Once you justify the suffering of those you consider inferior such that you can achieve a greater good, then you become a vector for evil.

It is terribly sad that the same people who think experimenting by killing and torturing millions of sentient lifeforms is okay, are the same people who get all morally bent out of shape if someone vacuums an embryo. And the only defense they have to that is to say, in effect, Yah, but that’s only a Jew, THIS is an Aryan! That’s the amoral calculus.

All I can say, is that I hope all you people get reincarnated as lab animals. Karma’s a b1tch.

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Have you ever met people who say they see other people in the room, hear voices? That’s a form of schizophrenia. Joan of Arc is thought to have had it, or maybe she really did hear the voice of God.

danielreyes on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Sekhmet on April 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Had a co-worker take her little guy to the doctor for a cold, saw a pediatrician she had never seen who told her to go the a neurologist because her son was autistic. Everyone was offended but it turned out he was right. I left the company so I don’t know how it worked out but they were working hard on some kind of therapy using rigid repetitive lessons.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM

danielreyes on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I’ve heard of them but never met them. Or at least to my knowledge, they may not have shared.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

The only b1tch was your mother, you infanticide-promoting toad.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My friends child “rocked”. Sucked his thumb. No eye contact. A list of trouble. Violent episodes. No speech.
Any research that could have gotten him higher level…would have been nice.

Or maybe avoided it altogether.

What causes it? Why so many more now?

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I think Hitler thought that Jews were the cause of all the problems of the world, I don’t think they thought there would be any great revelations from the mass gas chambers. Nice try though. You are in just as much danger of this karma you worry about as any of us.

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

KTC
I knew one of you would come around the thread comparing human babies to lab rats.
You’re all so predictable.

americanmama on April 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

MelonCollie on April 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Hadn’t even thought of that, I wonder if he is pro ‘choice”?

Cindy Munford on April 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Good friend with an autistic child. Barely talks. No bonding.

I’d snap the necks of a 1,000 lab rats to ease her pain. Without hesitation.

They’re rodents. We can spare a few.

I’ve seen that slow pain of realization that your child is mentally disabled, severly. At 4,, his vocabulary was about 10 words. No mother bond, and that was the worst. Violent episodes towards his sisters sporadically.

A few rats/mice to cure that? Hell yea.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

This Aspie might agree with you.

Bob's Kid on April 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

It sure is . . . . . . ( s i g h ).

listens2glenn on April 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Italians are notorious for abandoning their pets every August when they go on vacation. Driving around you constantly see these poor, starving creatures on the side of the road. Why don’t these animal rights activists just do something positive and adopt the abandoned pets? Because doing something outrageous gets these pathetic losers some attention.

Jayrae on April 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Keep the change,, really? You’re making that leap, not me.

It’s a lab rat. Not zyclone-B. See the difference? A biopsy, not the oven.

I’m Cherokee. I only kill animals for a reason.

Fool.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Reincarnation doesn’t exist ….. and animals are NOT “people, too”.

listens2glenn on April 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Reincarnation? Really?

I can see that you’re new to the concept of all life being suffering. This is probably your first human incarnation. So, first accept suffering. It is the way of the wheel. Embrace it, understand that all living beings suffer, people, animals, even plants suffer. The only escape from suffering is to reach nirvana. Unfortunately nirvana is not a path open to animals until they achieve personhood.

Souls incarnated as animals giving their lives for the betterment of higher souls are rising in each incarnation. Therefore, scientist are assisting these ennobled souls enter a higher state, enabling them to be that much closer to nirvana and their release from suffering.

danielreyes on April 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM

That’s not a bug it’s a feature.

SoRight on April 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

You ever dealt with autism firsthand keep?

Just wondering. You see, I can debate it with ALT. With respect.

Do you have kids?

wolly4321 on April 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Animal-rights activists trash years of autism research in Milan lab raid

Animals will probably have the last laugh and rule the planet some day. Of course, while wolves are eating the bunnies, there won’t be anyone around to feel sorry for them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I wonder how these guys feel about fetal stem cell experimentation?

Cindy Munford on April 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I’m good with fetal stem cell research. umbilical cord.Post birth.

Just don’t kill babies.

wolly4321 on April 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Once convicted may their sentence feature an aluminum bat that renders them unable to track anything with both eyes and leaves a permanent trace of spittle from the corner the mouth.

dmann on April 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Put these rwo in a room with a 1000 sewer rats and see how much love they can give them

booger71 on April 25, 2013 at 1:48 AM

There is a tremendous difference between animal welfare organizations and animal rights organizations.

VerbumSap on April 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Your support of the actions of these reprobate twits has just doomed my cousin to death.

Thank you very much, wh0re.

UODuckMan on April 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM

MelonCollie on April 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That was uncouth and uncalled for! Take that back!

Good friend with an autistic child. Barely talks. No bonding.

I’d snap the necks of a 1,000 lab rats to ease her pain. Without hesitation.

……………..

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Can I buy you a cold one?

Chaz706 on April 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I’m also extending my offer to keep the change.

Chaz706 on April 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM

What a shame. My Charlie has autism. Rocks incessantly, smells things, wears out the tops of his pant legs rubbing his thighs. He’s verbal though. Repeats the same lines from Sponge Bob over and over. He will never understand, let alone post, on any blog. Every day is another therapist appointment. It wears you out, mentally and physically, but you never stop because you love the kid so much. This was a pointless act of cruelty toward people masquerading as animal rights activism. Stupid and counterproductive.

Ted Torgerson on April 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM

UODuckMan on April 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM

How DARE you call me a whore!
I ALSO am on the autstic spectrum-but as I’ve said…I like animals. I agree that what they did is a crime. Just because I’m not keen on animal testing doesn’t make me a whore.
Hey Ed:You ban people whn they call YOU nasty names-while how about the same for a long-time commentor like me?
WHORE?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

seniority. ROFL.

tom daschle concerned on April 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Sorry, Twerp. I’m not on board with the whole “animal rights” business. I’m on board with animal welfare, and it sounds like the folks at this Milan lab had it covered. The Tanach says that humans have dominion over the beasts of the field and the birds of the air. ;)

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

In their moral confusion and general ignorance, these people think they acted with virtue. The real enemies of knowledge and easing of human pain are the news people glorifying their actions, and the teachers and “community activists” who taught them.

MTF on April 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I’m usually with you, ALT, but not here.

If the climate can’t be accurately modeled because of all the real-world intricacies, neither can diseases. At some point, you’ve got to actually TRY what you posit will work.

I’d prefer we not do the ‘trying’ part on people.

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

well, attacking humans IS bigger news than saving some mice

nonpartisan on April 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Such as when police brutally beat abortion protesters in the 90′s?

Read the section entitled, “Brutality Against Rescuers.” Police brutality against peaceful anti-abortion demonstrators was a frequent phenomenon in the 90′s, almost completely ignored by the mainstream media, much like the Gosnell trial is being ignored now.

dkmonroe on April 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM

You clip their wings so they can’t fly. You really are a dumb@ss.

RickB on April 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You gotta understand..that’s the same idiot that thought you use paintball guns for skeet shooting…

BigWyo on April 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’ve a good friend who has two boys who drew severe Autism. A few dozen bunnies, mice, or liberals who are used to find a treatment/cure are worth it.

Also, these children that ‘freed’ the animals (to die) didn’t care about the animals. They cared about ‘doing something’.

I do have to agree ALT has Aspbergers, lack of communication and empathy are not uncommon for people who suffer from that.

The_Livewire on April 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

So anyone that eats a living thing to servive (remember, plants are living things) are like nazis. Because, like this whole experenting on animals to find cures, eating is something we do to servive.

DethMetalCookieMonst on April 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I happen to be a big fan of Doctor Temple Grandin’s work in animal welfare and husbandry. She happens to be autistic, but that’s neither here nor there.

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I’m not sure if I should be more frustrated that you just compared Jews to lab animals or that you compared me to a Nazi.

Either way, you’re clearly not here for a rational discussion.

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Either way, you’re clearly not here for a rational discussion.

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Rational discussion is not a strong suit for people that base their entire worldview on irrational emotion, like animal rights whackos.

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Genesis 1:26 (ESV)

Clueless, wussified, Liberal schmucks.

kingsjester on April 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Clueless, wussified, Liberal schmucks.

kingsjester on April 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Sad thing is, some of those bleeding-heart animal rights idiots claim to be conservative (as evidenced by the posts on this very thread).

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Easy with that broad brush, there gryph. Do you allow for no divergence of thought on any issue under the ‘conservative’ label?

alt’s pretty reliably conservative. That we disagree on animal testing doesn’t make her an animal rights idiot. I think it makes her wrong, but ‘wrong’ isn’t the same as ‘stupid.’

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Alt’s a good person, who is passionate about animals. However, I do not see her intentionally ruining a lab engaged in such important work, like these fools did.

kingsjester on April 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

millions of sentient lifeforms
keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Prove it. What’s the research that even hits that they are sentient. There is nothing that even comes close to showing that any animal other than humans is sentient. Not even the poo flinging, cannibalistic and murderous chimps. Not even the much revered dolphins. I have a sister-in-law that was the director of a zoo for over a decade and she used to say that the only people that think animals are sentient are ones that never work with them on a daily basis. My daughter was going to university to become a vet and she says pretty much the same.

A long time ago I saw a cartoon that showed how animal lovers thought of animals. The first pane had a mouse dead in a trap and had the title “How the average person thinks of mice.” The second panel had a mouse in a suit, holding a briefcase and sitting at a bar. The bartender was asking him if he wanted another drink and the mouse replied, “No thinks I have to get home. The wife needs the car to bring the kids to baseball practice.” That pane had the title, “How animal lovers think of mice.”

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Remember that for these brain-dead maniacs the answer to autism and other conditions is abortion and euthanasia in order to save the animals. It makes total sense to them.

You can send the Thread Winner Award to Minneapolis and just leave it laying around. I’ll find it.

princetrumpet on April 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Animals will probably have the last laugh and rule the planet some day.
Dr. ZhivBlago on April 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We pretty much already do.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

princetrumpet on April 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yes it does make sense to them and the reason way is that most if not all of these extremist hate humans and think we are a virus that is harming the goddess Earth. They are pagans and some, not all, are dedicated to the elimination of humans from the planet so that the planet will be able to re-balance and live on as it was intended to.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I am sorry. I was referring more to the animal rights whackos who would defend Kermit Gosnell. I didn’t have Twerp specifically in mind when I said that.

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

um, I’m a dood

nonpartisan on April 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Is that your sex or your gender?

steebo77 on April 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

No worries, I figured that’s what you meant. And yeah, eff those people. All of them.

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I’ve got a comment in extended moderation for some reason.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM

wth moderators was wrong with that comment?

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Liberals and the gay community seem to be okay with AIDs/HIV research on animals. Animals as large and as intelligent as chimpanzees are routinely infected with the virus and batteries of experimental drugs are used on them.

I’ve always thought it curious that GLAAD in particular campaigns to end animal testing for cosmetics on animals. But GLAAD has very little on record about all the animal research done since the early eighties to combat AIDS/HIV.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Seems no links allowed from Avert?

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Seems no links allowed from Avert?

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Down, boy! Your post went through. ;)

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The intelligence of progressive liberals is amazing.

ultracon on April 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Now if they had been militant pro-lifers invading an abortion clinic, you’d see some coverage.

Drained Brain on April 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

well, attacking humans IS bigger news than saving some mice

nonpartisan on April 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Oh, the irony is thick there……

thats a load of bull, since quail can fly

nonpartisan on April 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM

And the stupid, too….

Wow. So, no bird or creature capable of flight has ever been flattened by a motor vehicle?

Resist We Much on April 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Obviously doesn’t live around here. I see big lumps of feathers and guts on the road all the time from seagulls and vultures and geese.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

And, how are they supposed to know if the model works? Application. As we’ve seen with things like climate modeling, there’s a lot of opportunity to get it wrong – way wrong. And, you’re wrong about no one getting hurt – lots of people were hurt by this action, including the researchers who have had years of their work destroyed.

So much for the WKRP Theory.

Del Dolemonte on April 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Domestic turkeys generally can’t – they’re too dang big. But, yeah, I’ve see turkeys fly – one right by my face.

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

That’s when you pull/push the door extra hard…

Nutstuyu on April 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Down, boy! Your post went through. ;)

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

No it didn’t. There’s still a link that won’t post.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

No it didn’t. There’s still a link that won’t post.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

FWIW, I think you made your point.

gryphon202 on April 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM

wolly4321 on April 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Peace, wolly.

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

No, it’s not. Animals are not humans.

keep the change on April 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Sorry, but cats and rats are not sentient creatures. Take your idiotic moral equivalence and shove it. Oh, and I’m definitely declaring Godwin on this one.

danielreyes on April 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Deftly turned. Deftly turned, indeed.

I’d prefer we not do the ‘trying’ part on people.

Washington Nearsider on April 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

At least not the first time it’s out of the model.

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM

No it didn’t. There’s still a link that won’t post.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I’m seeing a link in your 9:41AM post. To www_avert_org/hiv-animal-testing.htm

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on April 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

All sides reject me. I eat living things, that would be prey in the wild. I want them to have a decent life before I eat them, so I am against farm cruelty. I think hunting gives a better life to animals, than most farms

I despise animal rightists, but will not condemn Gosnell. Born alive babies must be rescued.

I believe life begins at conception, so disapprove of using embryos for research

I call euthanesia murder. Suicide is a conscious choice between man and God, but assisted suicide morphs to euthanesia, so I condemn it. I have seen euthanesia with consent morph to without consent. In the Netherlands kids as young as 12 can be euthanized if they want it and their parents consent. How valid is the decision of a 12 year old?

I am against lab cruelty. That means isolating sociable creatures like dogs, cats, monkeys in cages for life, testing and dissecting them. That also means a big chunk of the often redundant make work testing done on lower life forms like rats.

Use humans if you want testing. Volunteers?

God gave man dominion. That means man has the power. Man also was given the right to choose between good and evil. When someone wants something badly enough, the ends justify the means, to them. This is what I see in left wing Peta abortionists, in people who fear they will be denied euthanesia so open pandora’s box, and the people with cruel disease who would do anything to find a cure.

Push someone’s button on their needs and they go ballistic

entagor on April 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

correction, sorry

I despise animal rightists but who will not condemn Gosnell. Born alive babies must be rescued.

entagor on April 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Wild turkeys on the other hand fly pretty good. I have a flock that shows up in my yard every so often and I’ve seen them fly up to the top of 60ft pines and a distance of a couple of hundred yards. Kind of impressive to see such a large bird in the air. I used to have free ranging domestic chickens and they fly pretty good as well. If I didn’t want them flying I would have to clip their wings. They are also not shy when looking for handouts of food and would swam and jump up to the shoulders of visitors and expect food from them.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

You don’t seem like it.

CW on April 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM

He’s probably a sitzspinkler.

Ward Cleaver on April 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

entagor on April 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Ditto. Woefully misguided priorities, thanks to a lifetime of leftist indoctrination.

hawkeye54 on April 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Well, the good news is, reseachers are making the change of using lawyers in their experiments instead of rats.

There are three reasons for this:

1) Lawyers are more plentiful than rats.

2) The lab assistants do not get attached to the lawyers.

3) There are some things a rat just won’t do.

JackM on April 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No it didn’t. There’s still a link that won’t post.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I’m seeing a link in your 9:41AM post. To www_avert_org/hiv-animal-testing.htm

GWB on April 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Different link.

hawkdriver on April 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I spent more than 10 years talking with animal rights activists and supporters, examining their arguments and reading their literature. Not a single one that I met was a pagan. They are well-represented on the other side, though–big into the “circle of life” and all.

There were a few bizarre groups that embraced the “Jesus was a vegan” junk, however (including but not limited to the Essene Jesus hoax). It’s fascinating the lengths these people will go to misrepresent and flat-out make stuff up to support their point of view. Nothing is sacred to them, least of all truth.

VerbumSap on April 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

“If it had been done by evangelicals” is one of those hypotheticals you can use freely because … it is never done by evangelicals. Just like the phrase, “if Bush had done it,” referring to yet another of Obama’s actions that Bush would never have done.

Such phrases are meant as “thought experiments.” In effect, we’re asked to imagine “if such a thing had been done by X,” even though in most cases the X in question would have regarded such an action as clearly indefensible.

But while we’re doing these “thought experiments,” we should probably make the point that evangelicals would simply never do this.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Absolutely horrible. As a parent of two children with ASD I am horrified that vital research into understanding and eventually curing my children of this disease was set back years by a bunch of uneducated ill-informed eco-hippies. These kids deserve prison time and a good beating, as a start.

wearyman on April 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Reminds me of the beginning of 28 Days Later when animal rights extremists “liberated” lab animals infected with the virus that lead to the zombie infestation.

Daemonocracy on April 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

But those two in the pic look as if they were infected before entering the facility.

Why do such people always appear so slovenly and vacant-eyed.

Bishop on April 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Probably vegans.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I worked in medical research for years. If their protocols are similar to those in the U.S., the rabbits will be tattooed in the ear with an identifying number, so those should be able to be sorted out, if they’re still in the laboratory.

Mice don’t live that long, so any experiments that need to be repeated won’t take more than months.

So all may not be as bad as it may seem, so far as the loss of data.

If these animals were released, and if they had white fur, they’re already dead. Laboratory-bred animals have had their natural instincts largely inbred out of them, and being bright white against whatever background these morons placed them…well, let’s just say that every bird of prey or stray cat in the vicinity ate VERY well that night!

Solly on April 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have Asperger’s-but am against using animals in testing.

I have family with schizophrenia. I’m in favor of killing as many rats, dogs, pigs and monkeys as it takes.

Gotta go with the pro-animal people this time.

They want you dead. If you’ve ever benefited from medical research, they want you dead. If you have AIDS/HIV, they want you dead. If you’ve ever eaten at McDonalds, they want you dead. If you do business with a bank, they want you dead.

If we really believe that animals have the same right to be free from pain and suffering at our hands, then, of course we’re going to be, as a movement, blowing things up and smashing windows … I think it’s a great way to bring about animal liberation … I think it would be great if all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses, these laboratories, and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow. I think it’s perfectly appropriate for people to take bricks and toss them through the windows … Hallelujah to the people who are willing to do it.”
- PETA Campaign Coordinator/convicted terrorist Bruce Freidrich

They are ignorant, violent genocidal fanatics no better and no different from Al-Qeada. they want nothing less than to kill us all.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Computers aren’t as powerful as you think. All PCs, iPads, smartphones and laptops in the world working together couldn’t simulate the functions of a single rat let alone hundreds of them required for a single study.

Alberta_Patriot on April 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Screw them, replace the animals with these single-brain celled humans.

Othniel on April 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Screw them, replace the animals with these single-brain celled humans.

Othniel on April 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The SUSA should allow people caught trespassing on research grounds specifically for the purpose of destroying/hindering said research to be stripped of all rights and be used as lab rats.

It would almost never be invoked, and then only for soap-deprived losers attempting such domestic terrorism.

MelonCollie on April 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You know, this reminds me of the movie 28 Days Later where some animal rights activists break into a scientific lab where they were studying the “rage” virus. The activists broke in and found all the chimps caged up but the chimps were infected with the virus which causes uncontrolled rage to where they want to kill all “living” things.

Someday, some dumbass activist is going to do something similar where they loose a virus on the world that it clearly isn’t capable of dealing with.

Imagine if the Soviet or US stockpiles of biological agents were to get out… Mayhem and madness.

SauerKraut537 on April 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Thank your gods that I wasn’t there, dorks, because I’d later be making a statement to the police that “honestly, officer, I didn’t see those people when I slammed the doors open multiple times.”

Bishop on April 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

“Oh, my bad. I thought there was some lint or something caught in the mechanism.”

Lily on April 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Love ya, Bishop, but Lily wins for this win. Lint in the mechanism? LOL.

idalily on April 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

meh. We’d all be dancing to our DNA one way or another.

tom daschle concerned on April 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The Fluffy Bunny Liberation Front strikes again!

mojo on April 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

from my post last night:

Just talked about this in pharmacology this week. The dream is “in silico” in which potential drugs are “tested” by computer modeling their “fit” in the receptor they suspect is the correct target. They’re making lots of progress but its just as feasible as “clean coal” as a stand-in for the complex processes modeled by research animals. It takes 10-20 generations to back-cross these special knockouts/knockins and it’s very expensive as you can imagine.

The experiments themselves rely on the absence of “confounding factors.” They have to start from scratch and most of the mice will have to be euthanized. Bang up job, Luddites.

The closest they are right now is just this single ligand/receptor modeling. There is almost no way to use a computer to model the actions of what occurs when one thing happens since much of the cell’s exact pathways aren’t known. It’s not fully realized. It cannot be computer modeled. It’s a pipe dream right now. I am telling you…it isn’t even close. Add the complexities of whole organism physiology? I know you love animals. But lab rats and mice and rabbits, etc. are only used in studies (in the U.S….I imagine it’s the same in other first-world countries) that have Ethics Board approvals. If the experiment is superfluous, they’ll reject it. If it’s cruel, they’ll reject it. You can’t experiment unless you describe the protocols in detail to the boards.

Almost no pharmacological testing is done on primates. It’s too expensive and there are too many confounding factors. Once a drug is shown to be safe in animals, they try healthy people, then afflicted subjects. Then they have a gimundo trial. And thanks to rats, we now know much more about neurological disorders, including ASD, schizophrenia, psychosis, social avoidance.

and for solly:

So all may not be as bad as it may seem, so far as the loss of data.

If they bought already pre-modeled mice, they’d just order more. But if they back-crossed their own, it’d take several generations to get the ones they need. But the problem is that even if they are tattooed, the protocol is interrupted. Many experiments track how much feed per day, conditions, all kinds of things, right? So if the experiment was interrupted, it isn’t likely they can just pick up where they left off…the whole thing is fubar because they could never be sure Rabbit Z didn’t get some food he wasn’t supposed to have, etc. I’m sure it’s an utter disaster for them.

winoceros on April 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

SauerKraut537 on April 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I see I wasn’t the only person wondering how long until this happens.

MelonCollie on April 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I see I wasn’t the only person wondering how long until this happens.

MelonCollie on April 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

And when that day happens, and activists get an earful from people like us for doing something so stupid, the argument will be turned on us saying that we ought never to have meddled with nature like that.

SauerKraut537 on April 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Just open the doors. Cut the Internet connection to the lab. Open the doors a very little bit at a time. Let them unlock themselves or suffer. I’ve had it up to here with those bozos.

{\,/}