Boy Scouts propose lifting ban on openly gay Scouts, not leaders

posted at 2:42 pm on April 19, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Also breaking today: This is a proposal that would go from the executive council to the Boy Scouts of America voting members in May, , and if approved, go into effect in January 2014:

The Boy Scouts of America would no longer deny membership to youth on the basis of sexual orientation, but would maintain its ban on openly gay adult leaders under a proposal it is considering, the group said Friday…

“If approved, the resolution would mean that ‘no youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.’ The BSA will maintain the current membership policy for all adults,” Boy Scouts public relations director Deron Smith said.

The Boys Scouts have been considering a change in the longstanding policy against allowing openly gay members. In February, the Boy Scouts’ national executive board postponed a vote on lifting its outright ban on openly gay Scouts and troop leaders and ordered a survey of its members on the issue.

The Boy Scouts have been mulling a version of this proposal for a while, but the parameters changed in response to a survey it commissioned of members:

Earlier, the BSA had indicated it might give local Scout units the option of admitting gays as both youth members and adult leaders, or continuing to exclude them

The BSA said Friday it changed course due in part to results of surveys sent out this year to members of the scouting community.

The survey, according to CNN, showed a generational split with older leaders preferring the exclusion policy and younger parents and teenagers favoring lifting the ban. More from ABC on the survey:

Gay-rights groups have demanded a complete lifting of the ban, while some churches and conservative groups want it maintained in its entirety, raising the likelihood that the new proposal will draw continued criticism from both sides.

Indeed, the BSA, in making its announcement, estimated that easing the ban on gay adults could cause widespread defections that cost the organization 100,000 to 350,000 members.

The review, said a BSA statement, “created an outpouring of feedback” from 200,000 respondents, some supporting the exclusion policy and others favoring a change.

“While perspectives and opinions vary significantly, parents, adults in the Scouting community and teens alike tend to agree that youth should not be denied the benefits of Scouting,” the statement said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Ernst Röhm would have been so proud of the BSA.

timberline on April 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Seriously? are you mashing this garbage out in a nut house? You people are sick.

tom daschle concerned on April 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

It’s obvious by your pseudonym you adore Tom Daschle, Senator from South Dakota. Both of you are died in the wool liberal left-wing radical extremists.
Tommy boy must be proud of you, nutjob.

timberline on April 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

According to LGBT advocates, everyone is either gay, questioning, or in denial.

Ward Cleaver on April 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Other than – possibly – the T, isn’t the rest of it pretty much redundant?

Wouldn’t homosexual cover it?

But, they love the euphemisms.

They love them some euphemisms.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I don’t bash. I challenge. Sorry if you can’t hang.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I remember you. You’re a vile bigot and poor speller.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Oh look, it’s Mr. Please Stop Talking to Me.

What a chump.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yet here you are in thread after thread espousing your personal animus toward gays and their life choices. Who knew hypocrisy could be so amusing?

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

And I’m confused by the term, homophobic.

I don’t fear homosexuals.

I, simply, recognize their desires as being utterly sinful, and that said desires should be regarded as same.

That’s not fear.

Not in the least.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I think this is when Hog accuses you of actually being afraid of homosexuality because you are secretly gay yourself.

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’m not the grammar expert you are so maybe you can tell me what an ungay rant is.

Oh crap, I just finished my sentence with a preposition. I hope you wont call me a bigot.

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It’s when you nag someone so much that they become “ungay.” :)

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

But you accept the Bible as authoritative on sexual matters and morality?
whatcat on April 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Herring of Red
Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No, intellectual dishonesty on your part. You make claims about what Jesus thought about XYZ, but you have no source – you suddenly disown the source when things don’t work out, as evidenced above.

At any rate, Jesus sure didn’t seem to have much of an issue with the annihilation of a homosexual community:

Luke 17:29 -
“The day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.”

whatcat on April 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

RE: ungay
I’m sure you know it when you see it.

RE: preposition
Maybe that’s what’s really causing all that ungay frustration. Perhaps you should dangle your prepositions more often.

RE: hope
Don’t act like one and you won’t have to worry.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I’m sure Hog wouldn’t mind if a 19 year old boy took his 15 year old daughter camping. Hog isn’t a bigot you see.

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Tolerance of all, except for those whose opinions don’t mirror mine.

Liberal law with singular exemption.

BobMbx on April 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Tommy boy must be proud of you, nutjob.

timberline on April 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

timberline, I erred! I made a presupposition and then acted on it. And got burned. I assumed you weer insinuating that the BSA of today that does not allow openly gay members are to be compared to NAZI’s, which you would agree is fallacious, insincere, and insidious – Hence my hyperbolic reaction.

I plead ignorant to knowing that Herr Rohm was homosexual, and that your comment had an alternate imposition than the one I assumed.

My apologies, from the office of my nut house.

tom daschle concerned on April 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

RE: ungay
I’m sure you know it when you see it.

RE: preposition

RE: hope
Don’t act like one and you won’t have to worry.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

My ungaydar is on the fritz. Help me out here. What are you talking about?

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

As someone said one time, it’s not homophobia, it’s homonausea. Ward Cleaver on April 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I notice you clowns ignored this challenge to your phony morals: You’re God. Which do you consider worse, homosexuality or infidelity? Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Don’t act like one and you won’t have to worry.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I was a bigot? How?

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My ungaydar is on the fritz. Help me out here. What are you talking about?

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Ungaydar.. Wouldn’t that be a straightdar. LOL!

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM

tom daschle concerned on April 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

tdc, for the record, I’ve always considered you to the right.

Or, at any rate, I’ve tended to agree with you on a lot of your posts.

Don’t make me question my leanings!

Sidebar – There was actually an island, in the Baltic Sea, where the Brown-shirt elites would vacation, and scamper about in their homosexual dalliances.

All hush-hush, of course.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hey liar, I never “disown” The Holy Bible. Let me know when you or if you intend to stop lying about my comments. When and if you do we can converse. Until then remember that lying is not a virtue. That God you pretend to serve with your false anger does not appreciate your arrogance.

Judgment is for the Lord, not the Tea Party.

I’m amused at the gall it must take for you to have such fixed notions of my beliefs just because I treat gay men and women equally as I do other citizens.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

“Hi, I’m a 19 year old boy and I want to go camping with your 15 year old daughter”
“No”
“Bigot!” /libtards
gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

There are 15-19 year old “boy” scouts? Do they never grow up?

Marcus on April 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I was a bigot? How?

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It’s advice for the future. If you continue to misapply my remarks I will simply ignore you and you’ll be back to the circle **** of bitter old-guys pretending to be Republicans.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

There are 15-19 year old “boy” scouts? Do they never grow up?

Marcus on April 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Scout leaders

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Find me a thread where you don’t bash Christians.
nobar on April 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Wow. If a Latino said that to you about trending Republican anti-immigrant bashing remarks you would dismiss the charge. Why should what you consider bashing now be taken seriously?
I don’t bash. I challenge. Sorry if you can’t hang.
Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

You can challenge without being a jackass.

nobar on April 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This is such a bad idea – too bad it’s the kids who will end up paying for it. They better up their supervision on camping trips then, because they are inviting the wolves into the hen-house.

Free Indeed on April 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

There are 15-19 year old “boy” scouts? Do they never grow up?

Marcus on April 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Boy Scouting, one of the traditional membership divisions of the BSA, is available to boys who have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old or have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10, or who are 11, but not yet 18 years old. The program achieves the BSA’s objectives of developing character, citizenship, and personal fitness.

Some people never grow up, the dog eater for one.

tom daschle concerned on April 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I guess they’ll have to have a new level of scouting — the Paw Paws.

unclesmrgol on April 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

You claim to serve god but will willingly overlook sin, when it is your duty to convince others to not sin anymore?

And he’s calling us hypocrites.

nobar on April 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Why does this remind me ( as many other issues ) of a
walnut and a pick ? Simplistic yes but that’s where it all
begins .
Pick , pick , pick …….

Lucano on April 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Boy Scouts are known for dressing in short shorts and neckerchiefs to go camping. They strive sometimes wear decorated-sashes.

I’m just sayin’.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I never “disown” The Holy Bible.
Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

So then answer the question: do you accept what you’ve called “The Holy Bible” as being authoritative on matters of sexual morals?

Or are you getting your special revelations directly from God himself? Like hearing voices or seeing apparitions that tell you the score?

whatcat on April 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Judgment is for the Lord, not the Tea Party. Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

John 20:23, “Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.”

Inter alia.

Akzed on April 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I was a bigot? How?

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Apparently gwelf, he thinks that you “show personal animus towards gays and their life choices” but he never called you a bigot..

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I’m just sayin’.

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Isn’t this a bigoted hateful remark? You come here to lecture us and denounce us as hypocrites but feel free to trade in stereotypes.

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. I guess I’m “acting” like a bigot in his mind without actually “being” a bigot. Hog is quite the philosopher.

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I know you’re snarking, dude, but “is” isn’t a preposition.*

There are 15-19 year old “boy” scouts? Do they never grow up?

Marcus on April 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Why does that seem surprising? Cub Scouts are first through fifth grade. Boy Scouts continue up until the boy turns 18. Venture Scouting (which is coed) is ~14 through 21. (Venture participation can overlap with Boy Scout participation.) They all fall under the purview of the Boy Scouts of America.

And, yes, as soon as a boy turns 18, he can sign up as a leader. He cannot become a full-fledged leader until he hits 21, however. (Sort of an apprentice leader.)

* “A preposition is something you don’t end a sentence with.”

GWB on April 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Hog is quite the philosopher.
gwelf on April 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, but I think you’d pretty much have to be when you’re getting special revelations about sex from Jesus. Gotta share the insight, doncha know.

whatcat on April 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Some people never grow up, the dog eater for one.

For one thing, no one ever required that he had to grow up and he allowed, if not encouraged into becoming a narcissistic petulant man-child. For another, he never had the initiative nor the incentive to grow up intellectually himself.

hawkeye54 on April 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Both of you are died in the wool liberal left-wing radical extremists.
Tommy boy must be proud of you, nutjob.

timberline on April 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It’s spelled “dyed” you imbecile.

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

And I’m confused by the term, homophobic.

I don’t fear homosexuals.

That’s not fear.

Not in the least.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The bigger problem is in acquiescing to their terminology. “Homophobic” is simply a made-up word, literally meaning “fear of the same”, which makes no sense. There’s no “sexual” in either “homo” (Greek) or “phobic” (Greek again).

If they want to keep using made up words to smear the 95% percent of the population that follows nature, then we can start using “homophile” to label them.

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I don’t think you intended to say that.

I do think that you meant it.

weaselyone on April 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I hope the BSA understands that if they do this they will need for the GLBT comunity to step up and replace the contributions they will lose from peple like me. Back when they were pushed out of the United Way funding, stopp all my United Way contributions and began sending 100% of that to BSA. If BSA becomes part of the same sickness that befell the UW, I’ll look for another way to support what I think is the best future for young Americans.

MikeA on April 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Oh, and before anyone starts bashing me as a biggot or worse, frack you. This is my money and my choice and I don’t give a damn what gay people think I should do with it.

MikeA on April 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM

BSA bends over and grabs its ankles for the gay mafia.

BuckeyeSam on April 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

And I’m confused by the term, homophobic.

I don’t fear homosexuals.

That’s not fear.

Not in the least.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

And the conversation shifts from pederasty to pedantry.

In other news, this whole thing is a kind of a tempest in a teapot, no? What percentage of 10-18-year old boys are out gays who want to join a conservative, religious organization focused on traditionally “masculine” activities?

And those that do join are going to do so in communities and troops where they’re orientation is not an issue. No teenage boy, straight or gay, wants to spend their spare time around people who don’t like them.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Besides, Baden-Powell was totally a closet case.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Well, I’m glad to know that a homosexual adult is a danger, but an adolescent homosexual is not. W T F is wrong with you BSA?

Mr. Grump on April 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Yet, here you are.

HumpBot Salvation on April 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yet, here you are.

HumpBot Salvation on April 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Been a long time since I was a teenage boy — and, for that matter, a teenage Boy Scout.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Is there anything positive going on with this country?? Anything at all??

sadsushi on April 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Then why the push for BSA to allow something that barely exists?!?

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Just terrible. Allowing a gay kid in the scouts. What kind of message does that send? We’re telling all the other scouts that homosexuality is not a communicable disease that you can get by sitting next to them. In fact, the Fred Phelps Institute of Pathology has done studies that prove that homosexuality is contagious and the early onset symptoms are a lisp and a weak handshake, followed by an appreciation of musical theater, and finally just before death, a collection of deep V-neck T-shirts appearing on the victim’s chest.

Jesus, come to slay this wicked world!

keep the change on April 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Woah, you work at the same science lab as Al Gore?

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Then why the push for BSA to allow something that barely exists?!?

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Bingo!

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You’re homosexual. Which do you consider worse, Evangelical Sharia or Islamic Sharia?

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

The latter: the one that actually exists and is enforced by actual national governments with tanks and guns.

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Besides, Baden-Powell was totally a closet case.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yes, I know so was Abe Lincoln, Joan of Arc and Jesus.//

History based on a clear case of projection is not history mmkay..

melle1228 on April 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Brave
Clean
Reverent

Nutstuyu on April 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Don’t forget “tasteful”!!

And, and, “sentimental”!!

And, it must be said, “occasionally naughty!”

smellthecoffee on April 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Why don’t they just start up a “gay” scout group of their own? Could buy pup tents by bulk.

whatcat on April 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

That’s not the liberal way. Liberals don’t start their own organizations. They take over what somebody else built.

Why do you think all the mainstream Protestant denominations have been taken over by liberals? You or I, if we disagreed with the current doctrines and practices of an organization, might start a new one. Liberals would rather worm their way into positions of power and take it over.

Which is why for most of those mainstream Protestant denominations that have been taken over, there now exists a new evangelical version. Because when the liberals took over the organization, the non-liberals reacted by starting their own.

Relevance? If the BSA compromises by giving the liberals what thy want, then the BSA will start looking like mainstream Protestant denominations: empty.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Right no gay leaders. Period! But Gay scouts? You mean at 11 there are gay kids?

jake49 on April 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

thats a really ignorant statement. there’s no age when someone turns gay. people are born gay and that can manifest anytime.

nonpartisan on April 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

“Ignorant” would mean it is contrary to knowledge. So how can it be an ignorant statement when there is no proof that people are born gay?

I wonder what your life would be like if you had the capacity to reason….

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The destruction of American traditions continues apace.

Bitter Clinger on April 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

You’re referring, of course, to the proud American tradition of making some people out to be second class citizens.

alchemist19 on April 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, let’s send 13-year old boys on camping trips with openly ga 17-year-olds. I’m sure nothing will ever happen.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Silly.
Either lift the ban or don’t.
I honestly wasn’t aware they had a policy denying membership to kids who identify as gay.
Maybe next they’ll tell us they’re lifting the ban on bilingual short statured kids from Ohio.

verbaluce on April 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, cause that’s exactly the same thing.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I am an Eagle Scout, a member of the Order of the Arrow (essentially, the Boy Scouts’ honor roll), and am a local Scout Commissioner. I can speak with some authority on this.

The distinction between youth and adults in terms of inclusion/exclusion of “avowed homosexuals” was one of several options considered, and was likely deemed necessary in light of at least two factors. One is the wide disparity in maturation among boys in pre- and early adolescence. The other is the trend towards public schools actually encouraging “questioning” youth to come out of the real or imagined closet. The need for acceptance, and the tendency towards accepting a “label” as means thereof, can be a very strong one. How this will play out in implementation will depend in large part on the unit, the parents, and the sponsoring institution, particularly those which are houses of worship (constituting 70 percent of sponsors).

n a 2005 article in First Things magazine by Father Paul Scalia, a priest of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington, the case is made against school administrators who encourage students to favor any inclination toward same-sex attraction.

“[I]n practice this agenda means more than just an end to the name-calling. It means the approval of homosexuality and, in a new form of name-calling, an insistence that adolescents who experience same-sex attractions ‘come out’ as homosexual … This is, to begin with, a failure of common sense. Such categorizations feed into the adolescent penchant for labels … the most charitable thing we can do for such youth is to love them as God’s own images …”

The good Father goes on to remind us that children, including adolescents, are not miniature adults, but are works in progress in terms of emotional and psycho-sexual development, the responsibility of which originates with the parents, not the schools or to the state.

Perhaps the above can provide some insight as to why the BSA decided to make this distinction in their decision.

manwithblackhat on April 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Besides, Baden-Powell was totally a closet case.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

That the father of the world Scouting movement was a homosexual with a penchant for young boys, has never been substantiated (other than being fodder for rags like the NYT), his interest in drawings of unclothed young males notwithstanding.

Or was Michaelangelo gay because he carved a naked David?

manwithblackhat on April 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

nonpartisan on April 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

A convenient fiction that lets people avoid feeling guilty for their own choices or uncomfortable about the choices of others. The truth is that “sexuality” is nothing more than a learned behavior, a habit that anyone can change if they so choose.
Pretending that people are born that way keeps those who have chosen to live a homosexual lifestyle (or one similar to one) from acknowledging that they have wasted their own life.

Count to 10 on April 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

And the conversation shifts from pederasty to pedantry.

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

There’s no requirement that people use their language correctly. Decimate still means “to kill one out of every ten.” The fact that it is so often misused, or used metaphorically, changes nothing.

And “homophobe” does literally mean, “someone who fears another of the same kind.” By way of comparison, “heterophobe” would mean “someone who fears another of a different kind.” This would make heterophobe a synonym of xenophobe.

Not that it especially matters. The real case against homophobe is that it’s an invented word to attempt to imply that anyone who does not accept homosexuality completely is therefore hateful, and afraid.

And since you don’t have to fear homosexuality or hate it to reject it as unhealthy, immoral, and inherently inferior to normal human nature, it’s a complete waste of a word.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

nonpartisan on April 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You better hope that isn’t true because if it is found to be so, they eventually will map it genetically and you’ll need a whole army of Gosnells to keep up with the sexually oriented abortions. Maybe then the Gays will become Pro-life. NIMBY will invade the straight pro-gay block.

rik on April 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

No more than three hours after quipping here that “transgender” youth might well win the right to wear girls clothes in the Boy Scouts that Hot Air confirms it. This isn’t a “hate” issue. It’s about intimidating others to accept and swallow their beliefs for them to crash your party. There’s something else going on here. Those who were in the scouts in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s would likely recall that there was few harassment going in a troop outside normal bullying, and any suspect “homosexual” or “sissy” boys were hardly ever called out for ridicule. The “brotherhood” and basic manners was often too strong to allow that. If there was any homosexually leaning scout in your mist then they simply kept silent and didn’t strut it like they’re almost obliged to today. That silent system worked well for all till the ’70′s when coming out of the closet was an admirable and “honorable” thing to do. The Girl Scouts have always had a less demanding task of turning girls into women than the Boy Scouts had of turning boys into men, so any “transgender” boy would be received by them almost by natural affinity.

jamesgreenidge on April 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Are they going to force them onto the normal Scouts, or start a separate “Poop Troop”?

BigAnge on April 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM

jamesgreenidge on April 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

According to my wife, the girl scouts already accept boys.
Well, at any rate, Alpha Phi Omega, the “Boy Scout Fraternity”, became co-ed, and is now called “the dating service fraternity” by it’s own members.

Count to 10 on April 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

So now will all the other folks banned from the Scouts get to sue? What about the guys with live-in girlfriends and the men who cheat on their spouses, no need to keep any of those old standards around anymore.

Funny, isn’t it how the homofascists are the only group who demand total acceptance?

StubbleSpark on April 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Toss those flaming faggots on the fire
Brightly pass an evening so gay
Then be sure the fire’s out
Like a butt grabbing boy scout
Then close your eyes and wipe your tears away

On my honor I will do my duty
To offer up my booty
And be politically correct

Damn them all for screwing up Boy Scouts

DaMav on April 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM

jake49 on April 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Don’t forget the phony “gay gene” that got thrown into the echo chamber years and years ago.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Boy Scout Organization…….DEAD.

PappyD61 on April 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

If homosexuality is actually a genetic disease why aren’t we trying to find a cure?

DaMav on April 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

No, it means “fear of sameness” and all your pretentious whining doesn’t change that.

And it isn’t “latinate” — the two stems are from Greek.

unclesmrgol on April 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

DaMav on April 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Can you imagine the exploding heads if a gay gene is found and people start aborting their children because of it?

unclesmrgol on April 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

An interesting point — being able to identify the gene through amniocentesis. Heads exploding indeed lol.

DaMav on April 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM

This decision surprises me and breaks my heart. I thought we had created enough uproar to keep the current policy. Our son just made Eagle Scout – we haven’t even had his Court of Honor yet. He worked so hard for this honor. And he just finished 6 months of being Senior Patrol Leader while finishing his Eagle Scout requirements. I guess soon he and his dad, an assistant scoutmaster, will both be leaving the organization. It’s really sad but we must put our Christian moral values first.

sherrimae on April 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

The sex change badge should be interesting.

profitsbeard on April 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

younger parents and teenagers favoring lifting the ban.

Those most likely to be influenced by Hollywood.

“Well, the fellas on Glee seem really sweet.”

itsnotaboutme on April 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Homosexualists continue to run amok. It’s not going to stop. Whatever they can’t infiltrate if not intrude upon (little difference, really), they will attack for that purpose.

They remind me of Jihadis. They loathe what others have and need to possess it and appear to destroy it in the process.

Good luck, Boy Scouts, you should stick with your values, principles and goals.

Lourdes on April 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

sherrimae on April 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Yes. DITTO.

Lourdes on April 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM

jake49 on April 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

They can form their own Homosexual Activist Troop. Because that’s where that’s headed, quickly and obviously. They’ll be knocking on doors and harassing and insulting anyone who they THINK just might be “homophobic” and have a Bible in their house.

Lourdes on April 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM

The homosexual protest has become more of a vainglorious mob out to destroy everything that doesn’t look like them.

Saltysam on April 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

manwithblackhat on April 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Um, what? o_O

I recently read about how the founder was likely a racist who admired fascism. This is quite surprising to me:

bluegill on April 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Capitalist Hog on April 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

You fool. Evangelicals will not kill you for your actions.

Mr. Grump on April 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

There is no requirement that the contemporary English meaning of a word exactly reflect its latinate roots. “Decimate,” for example, is no longer used to mean “reduce by one-tenth.” “Homophobia” means hatred of/prejudice against gays simply because it does, and all your pretentious whining doesn’t change that. urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

But there is a requirement that Greek prefixes not be confused with Latin ones, and all your pretentious psuedo-etymological whining doesn’t change that.

Akzed on April 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

BS need to forget being politacally correst and keep what they have now. If so called gay kids, such a fad now days, let them start their own organization.

Bullhead on April 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

urban elitist on April 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

This reflects a very provincial attitude and I would guess that “urban elitist” hasn’t spent much time around gay kids in rural red America. (Hint: they exist there, too.) Everyone wants to join the boy scouts, and 4-H/FFA. It’s what farm kids do. A kid who discovers six years after joining cub scouts that he might be gay shouldn’t be made to feel like he has to quit scouts. And only 3% of the US population is gay anyway, so of course no GLBT-related policy is going to affect that many people.

alwaysfiredup on April 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM