Rush Limbaugh to Rubio: Why are we doing something on immigration that Democrats are salivating at?

posted at 6:01 pm on April 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Rushbo, I assume from the second clip below that Rubio didn’t persuade him in the first. He didn’t persuade me either. I’ve held off on posting over the last few days even though fellow border hawks Conn Carroll and Mickey Kaus have been tearing into the Gang of Eight’s plan because I wasn’t sure if the border-security “triggers” in the bill were as flimsy as they seem. There are two triggers, one right away to legalize illegals after DHS proposes a security plan and then another five or 10 years from now that’ll trigger the green card/citizenship process once the border is substantially secure. Opponents claim that the second trigger is phony: If DHS hasn’t hit its security target after five years, a “border commission” takes over and gets to try. After five more years of that, unless I’m missing something, the green-card process is triggered whether or not the commission’s succeeded. (If you read this post, you know all of this already.) I’ve been waiting for Rubio to explain why that’s incorrect, but skip below to 7:25 and listen. He doesn’t say it’s incorrect. What he says is that, if the “border commission” is necessary (which it will be), he trusts that the governors of Texas, Arizona, etc., will come up with something to make this work. There’s no absolute requirement that the border in fact be secured before the path to citizenship begins, just an assurance that we’ll get 10 years of effort of greater or lesser seriousness to make it happen. I thought Rubio’s whole shtick before this process began was that he’d walk away from a bill that didn’t make amnesty contingent upon actual border security. And yet here we are.

There is a potentially meaningful requirement in the bill for E-Verify, but there’s a loophole there too. Evidently, after 10 years, if the bill’s tied up in litigation (which it will be), the feds can begin the green-card process even if E-Verify hasn’t been universally imposed yet. That’s really all the “trigger” is — a 10-year wait period before amnesty begins in earnest, presumably acceptable to the Republicans in the Gang of Eight because it gives the party a full decade plus another five-year green-card waiting period after that to try (and fail) to turn those soon-to-be citizens into GOP voters. Ironically, Rubio insists here to Limbaugh that “If we are doing this for political reasons, we’re going to be disappointed.” That’s fair enough if you’re getting a meaningful policy victory from it, i.e. real border security. But we’re not. So what are we getting? No wonder Americans are so skeptical about reform.

Do note that, per Politico, supporters of the bill are pleasantly surprised by the lack of pushback they’ve gotten so far from the right. If you want to stop this train, you’d better speak up. It’s leaving the station. I’ll leave you with this from amnesty shill Frank Sharry, in case you’re still skeptical that the so-called triggers are as weak as they seem: “The triggers are based on developing plans and spending money, not on reaching that [border-security] effectiveness, which is really quite clever.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Forget Rubio.

SirGawain on April 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Rubio’s obsession will immigration be his downfall.

joekenha on April 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Rubio’s proposals are not impressing me. I Dont like 800 pages of ANYTHING put into law. Its not that complicated.

TX-96 on April 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Less than nothing as this will only serve to increase Democrat margins of victory.

Kataklysmic on April 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

cripe…
eeyore flag raised…

cmsinaz on April 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Rush did a great job today. Mark Levin still continues to throw softballs (reminiscent of Obama in his MOM Jeans). How Levin can be so tough on the other seven members and French kiss Rubio is beyond me.

Mark, conservatives don’t place their ancestry before the future of the United States nor do they conspire to destroy the country for their own political gain.

bw222 on April 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

What’s the point in commenting here if comments never show up? You guys are awesome.

SirGawain on April 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I quite agree, but then if you yourself weren’t ready to comment today than many on the right are likely in the same position.

At this point I am not sure that it makes a difference to my RINO Senators.

earlgrey133 on April 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Rubio is so naive. Schumer ate him for lunch.

ctmom on April 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM

earlgrey133 on April 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

i’ve got mccain and flake so i’m already sol

cmsinaz on April 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Who elected this fat clown? Who cares what he thinks. I’m sure the Guatemalan houseboys who roll his cigars don’t.

lostmotherland on April 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yesterday on Levin, Rubio made the point that “obviously future congresses can change legislation—so it’s on us to elect the right people.”

Today on Rush he went on and on about things that will happen in the future, shit backwards on his “strict border security or I’m done” from three months ago.

I tried to listen today to see if there was anything good. There is not and he is not.

arnold ziffel on April 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

This dovetails nicely into the democrats long game of getting overwhelming majorities in the future, that’s why they’re salivating. Remember, their goal is flip Texas, and this amnesty bill will help mucho mas.

Red Creek on April 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I’m hoping that others don’t foul themselves by getting too close to this Rubio disaster. I’m talking to you, Paul Ryan.

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

For what it’s worth, it was good to see both men talking about their competing philosophies without yelling or name calling. I’m worn out by that.

itsspideyman on April 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

It wouldn’t matter if the physical border were hermetically sealed. We have tens of millions of aliens come through here every year on visas of all sorts. Without serious interior enforcement the rest is totally meaningless. Totally. Meaningless.

And the whole crux of this treasonous bill was to not do any interior enforcement and give a good argument as to why it would never be done again. The whole “border security” issue is a ruse. But, they couldn’t even get that part … which shows how utterly inept and incompetent these worms are.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Such a shame Rubio had a lot of promise and threw it all away.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I listened to this today. I think Rubio did it to reach out to a large audience and present his position, which he did. I don’t think he’s going to get the reaction he thought though. I think he stepped in it big time today. A lot of people heard him and I don’t think a lot of them liked what he had to say. Just my opinion.

Oldnuke on April 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Rubio is so naive. Schumer ate him for lunch.

ctmom on April 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Rubio is not naive. He’s a treasonous worm. He’s fairly stupid, too, but mostly treasonous. He thinks he is the government to represent the interests of aliens – and ILLEGAL aliens, at that.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Knock, knock, hello, is anyone home? Because he is salivating over it too, you big dummy!

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Well Rubio has been real disappointing eh? They don’t call the GOP the stupid for nothing.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

AP: I thought Rubio’s whole shtick before this process began was that he’d walk away from a bill that didn’t make amnesty contingent upon actual border security. And yet here we are.

Very true. But if you remember back to the Florida GOP primary, Crist was the one pushing amnesty while Rubio was opposing it.

bw222 on April 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I’m really starting to resent Rubio. He thinks I’m stupid.

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s hard to believe that Rubio was once considered presidential material. Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

merlich on April 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I listened to Rubio on Rush and he still didn’t make a dent on my resistance to his plan. They are basically admitting the borders are open now. They will give the guardians of that failure another 5 years and then turn it over to a commission directed by the border state governors. Obama/Holder have thwarted every effort of Jan Brewer’s administration already.

Create the commission now and let them work for five years and THEN we’ll talk.

DanMan on April 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Just imagine that Christ had beaten Rubio and was now doing exactly what Rubio is doing. Would anyone here, or Rush Limbaugh, or Mark Levin, be at all confused as to what Christ was doing?

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

If you want to stop this train, you’d better speak up.

Good Lord man, I’ve already stomped up and down on Ed Morrissey’s Big Mac and howled into every ear I can get to and a couple needed long-distance.

They don’t care. They’ve already decided I’m everything Geraldo said I was, and that I have to be overcome for the good of the country. Again. Like Obamacare.

And I’m done with them. Them includes Rubio, if he steps off the cliff, the one he’s stepping off of. Some of these guys are going to be in for a serious shock come election time. Not all of them, but a few of them are going to be surprised by all the fuss.

Axe on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I dont trust anything they say or anything they promise to do and thats the bottom line on anything they say they’re passing. I used to just feel this way about the left but I feel that way now about both parties. They spent like drunken sailers during the Bush years. Washington is an immoral cesspool

ldbgcoleman on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Rubio was waaay too clever by half on Rush this morning…He might as well change parities now.

According to Rubio – Since they won’t leave…we have to change our laws.

Tail Wag Dog

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I agree with this take. Try calling your senator and asking a couple of mundane questions about eliminating the incentives that attract illegals. You will not get an answer. They have trained their staff to ignore you.

DanMan on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Good question. The Democrats want amnesty because they want more literally un-American voters. Real Americans should say NO!

WannabeAnglican on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Paul RINO has already fallen off that bridge. He’s pushing amnesty with his new bestest buddy, Congressman Guitterez:

bw222 on April 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM

In a sane world, a nation that was $16+ Trillion in debt would be spending its valuable homeland security dollars on projects like implementing a Visa-exit system and a universal E-verify system ASAP, before it even considered spending scarce resources on legalizing millions of people who are in our country ILLEGALLY!

Senator Rubio is unfortunately hopelessly naive.

wren on April 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Rubio is the face of the Gang of Eight and therefor the most dangerious to the American Republic. They made him so as they think people who don’t want tens of millions of invaders in the country are so stupid as to be conned by him. Wake up Limbaugh, and Levin – you are dealing with Obama’s Tag Team Partner in the destruction of the Republic. Don’t be fooled by his jive talk – you weren’t fooled by Obama’s.

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

“Law enforcement officials from around the country coalesced on Thursday against the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” immigration bill, arguing that it did not solve of the nation’s immigration law problems and railing on the senators involved for not including law enforcement experts in their creation of the bill.

“Almost one month ago, we asked for a meeting with the Gang of Eight to discuss law enforcement concerns,” Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents’ union president Chris Crane said at a Thursday press conference. “They told us they weren’t taking meetings but they were meeting all along with special interests and pro-amnesty groups. Finally, after public pressure grew, I got a late Monday night meeting with Sen. Rubio the day before this almost-1,000-page bill was introduced. I raised my many public safety concerns and pleaded with him not to drop the bill until these public safety concerns with law enforcement were addressed. They dropped it anyway.”

Crane went on to say that he thinks the bill will “put the public safety at risk without doubt. It fails on interior enforcement, it’s amnesty first, enforcement perhaps never.

“Unfortunately, I do not believe that the Gang of Eight is a group that we can trust with a matter so important to the safety of American communities and security of our nation,” Crane said…”

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The GOP held Rubio out as a shield to defend themselves from the critics screaming about hispanics will play a huge part in the future of politics.

Rubio is used up. Good riddance.

portlandon on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Senator Rubio is unfortunately hopelessly naive.

wren on April 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM

A 10 year old ain’t that naive. He’s Obama’s Mini-me.

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Once you start reading the bill it is pretty obvious. It’s a left-wing wet dream.

Wigglesworth on April 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I listened to the whole interview during Rush today. It’s the first time I’ve really tried to pay attention to Rubio. What a waste.

I’m done voting Republican now. No more money. No more votes. Maybe no more votes for anyone.

oldroy on April 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

According to Rubio – Since they won’t leave…we have to change our laws.

Tail Wag Dog

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Since child molesters won’t stop molesting children, we must make child molestation legal. Rubio insults everyone’s intelligence every time he opens his pie hole.

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

We may have to wake up and understand that there is no good solution. That all solutions are bad solutions

We are entering an era of large scale mass databases. E-verify, and all the stuff they want to track for visa holders, etc. Layer upon layer of information.

Just like the gun bill. I mean seriously, people in the US probably think that they would just put bad guys into the database. No…sorry, everyone’s records…that is how you do a background check

Same here. Just like everyone had to fill out the I-9s…and then the I-9s had to be checked.

So again…what is the issue? And is the cure worse than the disease.

r keller on April 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Can’t figure out why this guy wants to throw his political career under the bus. All for an issue which won’t win a single Hispanic (read Mexican) vote and will lose a lot of Republican votes.

Have the democrats found a skeleton in the closet and are blackmailing?

MaiDee on April 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

R etreated
U tterly
B ecause
I m
O btuse

Hang that sign on Rubio’s political career. He’s done.

Conservchik on April 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Today we must all be aware that political expediency and latino ethnicity takes precedence over rule of law and constitutional procedure. However you say – WHAT THE – what does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio… indicating that only a two-faced, I mean a bi-faced, I mean a bi-lingual hombre can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t drink water.

Amigos – comrades – friends, we are gathered here as an edifice of the great glory that is now vanishing and the intuitive feeling, based on the assumption as Mencken once said, “He who underestimates the American voter will never go broke.” This is merely a small indication to behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might project .. I mean go forward … out of the mouth … i mean .. the future…we’ve got to rip up the constitution so we can rip down those outdated borders!

Ladies and Gentlemen. The time will come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority latino nation , then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that especially when the booze runs out …

And the bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the prize to Marco Rubio for his EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of this man’s genius…he told me so himself and repeatedly …that he could change perceptions by calling his plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTY …in other words, he could have been more specific, but rather than to allude to an articulation of the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow first world existence. God damn!

Marco Rubio’s . EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 450 of them … million live in the United States and Mexico which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the RNC … I mean the DNC and it’s subsidiary the RNC, the organization for the $1,000 in affirmative action latino scholarships they’ve given out…this afternoon .. they took in over $4,000,000, but they do have expenses for their consultants you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Drone Commander of the World – and also I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and thank you. …

RasThavas on April 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Why?

Good question. Why is Rubio pushing AMNESTY, one of obama’s and democrats’ top priorities?

Well, the answer is simple; Rubio is an obama-style opportunist who actually believes that adding 20 MILLION new democrat voters / welfare recipients through INSTANT AMNESTY, will put him in the White House in 2016 – even though his INSTANT AMNESTY plan will destroy what is left of America. Rubio is a filthy TRAITOR to his party and his country.

Pork-Chop on April 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Crist, please, Charlie Crist. “Christ” usually refers to somebody else.

J.S.K. on April 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I think the push back from the Right is coming quickly now that gun control legislation is toast.

WannabeAnglican on April 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Crist, please, Charlie Crist. “Christ” usually refers to somebody else.

J.S.K. on April 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Thank you. My mistake. May the saints preserve me.

VorDaj on April 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The GOP will never get the black vote or the Hispanic vote. You have to offer G’ment freebies for those. Just forget about it and move on.

Old eagle on April 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Why isnt there more pushback. Call your congresspeople everyone. Now.

Flapjackmaka on April 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Hey, let’s be fair to Obama. Obama’s immigration plan is likely to create more voters of his own party if it takes effect — it may not be good for the country, but he is trying to help his own party. I can’t say the same for Rubio.

J.S.K. on April 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I listened to Rubio on Rush and it was clear that there was no real enforcement in this bill. Rubio also suggested that if his bill wasn’t passed then Obama might just grant some executive order amnesty. Though that wouldn’t have the force of law which is why the RINOs and Dems need this phoney immigration “reform”. What Rubio’s veiled attempt at blackmail told me is that he knows conservatives aren’t buying his argument. I called my worthless RINO Senator yesterday and told him I didn’t vote for him to give amnesty to lawbreakers and that I expect the rule of law to be upheld. I also told him if amnesty passes I will no longer support the GOP and instead will vote for third party candidates.

Hera on April 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Rubio: Schumer has adopted out plans because he wants our support = 12 Pinnochios.

bw222 on April 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I listened to the entire interview. Rubio is a repugnant liar.

Mr. Arrogant on April 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Mark1971

That ship sailed has sailed:

Paul Ryan Working With Progressive Luis Gutierrez To Help Pass Amnesty

xblade on April 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Call the house especially. Get some momentum against this bill and it dies. I remember when it was a slam dunk that Bush was going to pass it.

Get up and call!

Flapjackmaka on April 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

that headline says all that needs to be said. if a republican gets support from say mark pryor it can be him moving right to try and not seem so liberal back home. but when you have chuckie schumer jumping in whole-heartedly it means you have gone way off the rails. you need turn around and run. McCain never learned it when kennedy came a callin. Rubio needs to figure it out and fast.

chasdal on April 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Anyone supporting rubio is a democrat and or anti American. Time to dump Rubio. He can’t be that stupid.

aniptofar on April 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

In a word ‘CRUZ’

AmeriCuda on April 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Perhaps Rubio is walking this one as close to the cliff as he can get…possibly to gain the most facetime possible…and then turn around and dump the soup back into Obama’s lap and walk away the consevative hero.

Keep in mind he IS a politician. He ought to have an awesome plan, if he indeed is our guy in 2016.

birdhurd on April 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Basically what the GOP establishment is doing is trading open borders, minimal enforcement and amnesty for a 10 year period where the issue can be taken off the table for elections. It is a treasonous action and dumb politically because people like me will never shut up about securing the border and enforcing our laws. The left is still going to politicize the issue no matter what. The GOP hopes they can just say well we passed an immigration plan and it is being implemented so let’s wait the 5 or 10 years before saying it failed.

Wigglesworth on April 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Secure the borders First!

Four words easily understood anywhere but in Wash DC.

Instead we are getting the same failed bill as in 1986, sure it’s gussied up a bit, but at it’s heart it’s exactly the same. Immigrants get served immediately and border security comes… tomorrow… maybe later… Never!

RJL on April 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Moving beyond Shamnesty for a moment … consider this. I listened to Rubio for 10 minutes on Rush’s radio show, and was startled at how weak his position is, and how weak his presentation is. He stumbled through the whole thing.

If all it takes to make Rubio sound like a rookie is a skeptical ear — and I had one today — then he’s not the guy. At least not yet. His defense of this asinine, pointless amnesty scam is pathetic. He sounds like Chuck Scummer or Dickless Dick Durbin.

Jaibones on April 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Get up and call!

Flapjackmaka on April 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

As if Boner will do anything to stop it. If he can’t get repub votes, he’ll happily do it with the dems and a couple of his fellow rinos.

bofh on April 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Do note that, per Politico, supporters of the bill are pleasantly surprised by the lack of pushback (I don’t believe this frankly) they’ve gotten so far from the right. If you want to stop this train, you’d better speak up.

Telephone

You may phone the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. A switchboard operator will connect you directly with the Senate office you request.

MELT THE PHONES!!!

PappyD61 on April 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Secure the border first?Absolutely.But this nation has been invaded by more than 11 million illegals,so how about we secure the nation at the same time we secure the border.Round them up and send them home!

redware on April 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM

The border will NEVER be secure by either party. They both love paying their landscape and housekeeping help under the table apparently.

If you believe they are serious, look at this image and tell me that.

PappyD61 on April 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM

In a word ‘CRUZ’

AmeriCuda on April 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yep.

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The Gang was too busy looking up each others’ sphincters for data

Rubio is used up. Good riddance.
portlandon on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Too bad Rubio lied for them. He’s the only one with fingerprints. The other three GOPs in the Gang are all hiding under the rock while they send out the stooge. Will not forget Rubio blew out their old boy Crist. They will hold you close and cut off your nuggets at the same time while they milk you

Suckered West, and got Thaddeus McC to make a fool of himself, before they cut the rope

The Rube is expendable. Unless he pulls it off. Then he is owned because conservatives like me wouldnt give him a piece of toilet paper, much less a vote

Can’t stand the SOB

entagor on April 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I can’t stand Rubio.

voiceofreason on April 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Mark Levin defends his buddy…

This immigration bill sucks and holding the nation hostage for this small minority of law breakers of whom many don’t even want to be citizens anyway is deplorable.

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Why isnt there more pushback. Call your congresspeople everyone. Now.

Flapjackmaka on April 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Join NumbersUSA and send FREE FAX’s, telephone campaigns, and lots of timely information.

No charge to join, contributions optional.

Very easy to use and very effective!!!

And read this poll to see why Rubio, McCain, et al are all insane, unless they want to destroy the GOP and the country.

Instead of appealing to the 40% of Hispanics who favor law enforcement instead of amnesty and KEEPING the conservative base, the GOP establishment is fruitlessly trying to out-pander the Democrats in chasing after the 54% who favor amnesty and LOSING the conservative base. Of course, the 54% are already committed Democrats.

And oh, yeah — what about standing for principle, the rule of law, unemployed Americans, etc.????

Do the math, Rubio.

fred5678 on April 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Gang Of Ocho’s Immigration Bill Dishes Out $50 Million To Help Illegals Fill Out Amnesty Paperwork…

“The Senate’s Gang of Eight immigration bill offers $50 million in taxpayer-funded assistance to help illegal immigrants file for the multi-stage amnesty offered by the controversial bill.

The proposed spending is intended to help illegals get “registered provisional immigration status,” which is the first stage of the legalization process.

The money can be given to activist groups to support immigrants who need help “completing applications and petitions, including providing assistance in obtaining the requisite documents and supporting evidence … applying for any waivers for which applicants and qualifying family members may be eligible,” according to Section 2106, beginning on page 131 of the complex 844-page bill. [...]

Also, in more good news for illegal immigrants, the $50 million may be just a down payment. Section 2106(d)2(A) of the law provides a five-year authorization to congressional appropriations committees to spend even more taxpayer funds to help activist groups guide illegal immigrants in their quests for green cards as well as access to taxpayer aid and welfare programs…”

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Are they salivating? From what I have heard a lot of Democrats think the bill is too tough…but maybe Rubio actually thinks this is the right thing to do.

Needless to say the only thing Rush has to do is preach to the choir and make money…but Rubio does have to answer to voters and most voters seem to support the ideas laid out in his plan..Rush on the other hand can aid and abed the Democrats in their idiot war on women campaign by calling Fluke a slut and the right still loves him. After all, he is responsible for running anything but his mouth.

The truth is that Rush and a lot of other people need to realize that times are changing and young men like Rand Paul and Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan are the people making policy now..not a bunch of talk radio shock jocks who thus far have done more to help the Democrats than the Republicans.

Do the math, Rubio.

fred5678 on April 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

And exactly how does maintaining the status quo help the unemployed?

Terrye on April 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM

It is a vast improvement over any other plan out there…and btw, Mickey Kaus for all his hardliner posturing is a Democrat.

Terrye on April 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Under the immigration reform bill, some employers would have an incentive of up to $3,000 per year to hire a newly legalized immigrant over a U.S. citizen.

In avoiding one controversy — the cost of providing millions of newly legalized immigrants with ObamaCare subsidies — the Senate “Gang of Eight” may have risked walking into another.

The bipartisan legislation released Wednesday dictates that those granted provisional legal immigrant status would be treated the same as those “not lawfully present” are treated under the 2010 health law.

That means they would neither be eligible for ObamaCare tax credits nor required to pay an individual tax penalty for failing to obtain qualifying health coverage. It also means some employers would face no penalty for failing to provide such workers affordable health coverage.

For employers who don’t offer insurance, fines are based on full-time equivalent staffing levels, so distinctions between citizens and visa holders don’t matter…”

Read More At Investor’s Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/041713-652257-immigration-reform-meets-obamacare-employer-mandate.htm#ixzz2QrTegZxP
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

“But employers who do offer insurance also can face fines. If the coverage costs a worker more than 9.5% of pay, it is deemed unaffordable and the worker becomes eligible for ObamaCare’s exchange subsidies.

These employers would have to pay the government up to $3,000 per full-time worker who receives ObamaCare subsidies.

Some employers have said they would seek to limit ObamaCare fines by shifting some workers to part-time, which the law defines as fewer than 30 hours.

The immigration bill, as written, would provide another path for avoiding fines by hiring of legalized immigrants as full-time employees, since they wouldn’t be eligible for ObamaCare for a decade or more.

Millions of immigrants given provisional legal status would be eligible for permanent residence after 10 years under the bill.

A playing field tilted toward legalized immigrants is surely not what the bipartisan group of Senators intended, and it may be possible to craft a legislative fix. But it may not be simple, either politically or administratively…”

Read More At Investor’s Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/041713-652257-immigration-reform-meets-obamacare-employer-mandate.htm#ixzz2QrU4TOuP
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Is Rubio gets so easily rolled by Schmucky Schumer, imagine what a real man like Hillary Clinton would do to him in a national election. NEXT!

Rockshine on April 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM

The truth is Democrats are probably hoping that people like Rush wreck this plan…that way they can ruin Rubio, replace him with a Democrat and beat Republicans over the head with the issue. After all, the issue has worked wonders for them thus far.

Terrye on April 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The math is actually quite simple: you want a porous border then you can’t have a welfare state. You want a welfare state? Then you can’t have a porous border. Neither are ideal but I’d love some politician to have the guts to bring this up and put the supporters of both to attempt to make a logical argument for either.

ptcamn on April 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM

The immigration bill relies on DHS. Too bad it doesn’t eliminate the DHS and eliminate Janet Napolitano’s job.

Dasher on April 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Terrye on April 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Let me get this straight: The libs want the Schumer/Rubio Amnesty Bill to fail, so they can beat him in his next election using this issue?

Sounds good to me. I’ll sacrifice Jeb’s boy for a win here. Heck, I’d throw in Toomey to sweeten the pot.

TitularHead on April 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I’m getting war weary. I’ve been fighting with open border Republicans since the 90′s and it is just so disheartening that we have to go through this again.

Amnesty was the weakest link in President Bush’s war on terror and the idiots in Washington never connected the dots between our porous borders and the ability for terrorists to enter the country unmolested. Instead, we’ve had years of being called racist because we want a secure border so that we know who is coming into the country and why they’re here. We have to endure strip searches at airports because of the terrorist threat, but evidently the terrorists are too dumb to just cross over the border and start cells here.

Writing my Congress critters for the umpteenth time. Once more into the breach.

Ibanez Lotus on April 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

People are finally starting to wake up to Rubio and his pandering agenda. Calling all of my representatives – repeatedly.

Panther on April 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

LOL Yeah I’d be more then happy to get rid of Rubio if amnesty goes down too.

Hera on April 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Well what do you know? Marco Rubio transforms himself into Marco RINO right before our very eyes.

Nomas on April 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Writing my Congress critters for the umpteenth time. Once more into the breach.

Ibanez Lotus on April 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I know how you feel. I spent countless hours battling the 2006/2007 bills and it was only public outcry that stopped it. Bush’s last words before the vote were “see you at the signing”. And here we are again. But I’ll keep calling, faxing and emailing until my fingers bleed. Amnesty is one of the few hills I’m willing to die on.

TxAnn56 on April 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM

itsspideyman on April 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

NO YOU’RE NOT!

;)

Midas on April 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Ibanez Lotus on April 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

TxAnn56 on April 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Keep up the fight.

renalin on April 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Terrye on April 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Terrye, this is an 844 page bill. Do you even have any idea what is hidden in it?

I admit I don’t, but Lamarr Smith, whom I respect, claims it’s far worse than he thought it would be.

bw222 on April 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM

This is much like the debate with the anti-gun nuts. There are plenty of laws on the books to deal with the illegal alien problem. What makes anyone think they’ll enforce new laws, unless it will benefit them politically.

The existing law isn’t “broke.” It is more than adequate to deal with the problem. The problem is the corrupt and gutless politicians we send to D.C., who refuse to enforce the law.

TitularHead on April 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Where is the evidence that Obama is in compliance with current immigration law?

All employees, citizens and noncitizens, hired after November 6, 1986 and working in the United States must complete a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.

All means all.
Must means must.

Where is Obama’s Form I-9 and acceptable hardcopy documentation?

ITguy on April 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Rubio: No experience, no job, no career, no accomplishments, no nothing outside government. He is a joke. America needs an assimilation policy, not an immigration policy. There is no hard core indoctrination in any of this legislation. Leave your heritage and ancestry at the border and become a 100% American Patriot, or go home. Instead , these illegals will continue to live in the US as Mexican nationals for decades.

Tripwhipper on April 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

RUSH: I happen to like Senator Rubio very much. He’s a force of nature. He’s a force of energy. Folks, he is a genuine conservative and full-throatedly, full-heartedly, wholeheartedly believes in it. He really does.

Really? Seriously? On what frackin’ planet Rush? Why do these guys feel the need to suck up to Rubio so much?

jnelchef on April 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM

This time (because I agree with her) she is spot on. :-)

Can you imagine how Rubio would faint in a debate in 2016 with Hillary or Cuomo or Biden?

He’d make Romney seem like Genghis Khan.

….and I’m sick and tired of hearing Rubio and his story. We know already, his parents came from Cuba. Okay great, but you’re not the gop version of Obama. You’re just a younger Jeb Bush without the rolodex of names to pull from.

When Republicans start lying like Democrats, you can guess they are pushing an idea that’s bad for America. During his William Ginsburg-like tour of the Sunday talk shows last weekend, Sen. Marco Rubio was the Mount Vesuvius of lies about his immigration bill.

Here is how Rubio explained the powerful border-enforcing mechanism in his bill on “Fox News Sunday,” which he denied was merely a meaningless goal:

“Basically, Homeland Security will have five years to meet that goal. If after five years, Homeland Security has not met that number, it will trigger the Border Commission, who will then take over this issue for them.”

So the water torture awaiting the Department of Homeland Security if it fails to secure the border is … ANOTHER GOVERNMENT COMMISSION WILL BE CREATED! Take that, Homeland Security! Ha — we have you now!

The only thing more frightening than “another government commission” is a “strongly worded letter.”

Rubio said his comprehensive immigration plan isn’t amnesty because “amnesty is anything that says ‘do it illegally, it will be cheaper and easier.’” But, he assures us, it’s “cheaper, faster and easier for people to go back home and wait 10 years” — as the law currently requires — “than it will be to go through this process that I’ve outlined.”

Then why is he doing it? If it’s “cheaper, faster and easier” for illegals to apply for citizenship under current law, what exactly does Rubio’s plan accomplish?

Is it to encourage illegals to go home and apply through normal channels? You know, since that’s so much easier. Then why does he oppose enforcing the law on the books now? He dismisses enforcement of current law as trying to make “life miserable to them so that they’ll self-deport,” which he claims won’t work.

Does his plan make them just a little bit miserable so maybe some of them will “self-deport”? (Which doesn’t work, according to him.) Or is he lying about it being “cheaper, faster and easier for people to go back home”?

Rubio keeps trotting out the canard about the bounty of taxes we’re going to collect from millions more minimum-wage workers when illegals are legalized, stoutly asserting: “In order to keep this legal status, you must be gainfully employed and you must be paying taxes.”

It’s as if he’s talking to someone who has never been to America and is unfamiliar with its tax system.

By “paying taxes,” Rubio means “filing a tax return and getting a payment back from the government in the form of the earned income tax credit.” Another term for what Rubio calls “paying taxes” is “receiving welfare” — which newly legalized illegals will start receiving right away under Rubio’s plan. The only tax they’ll pay is the same tax they pay now: sales tax.

But, incomprehensibly, Rubio swore up and down that the newly legalized illegal immigrants won’t get government benefits: “And then they don’t qualify for any federal benefits. This is an important point. No federal benefits, no food stamps, no welfare, no Obamacare.”

How on Earth does Rubio plan to enforce this “important point”?

Just three weeks ago, the U.S. Senate voted down a proposal to prevent illegal immigrants from receiving benefits under Obamacare. At the time, Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez sneered at Republicans opposing Obamacare for illegals, saying, “This is not a great way to try to do your outreach to the Hispanic and immigrant community.”

Forcing Republicans to spend the next two decades arguing that poor Hispanic children shouldn’t have access to government benefits like health care and food programs sounds like a terrific way to win over the Hispanic vote!

Is it going to be easier or harder for Republicans to deny welfare to 20 million newly legalized illegal aliens than it is for them to simply say that people who have broken our laws should not be on a fast-track to citizenship?

Also, is Rubio planning to stop his newly legalized illegal aliens from having children? The children of illegal aliens become automatic citizens under our current insane interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

(It seems that, after the Civil War, what the framers of the 14th Amendment had at the top of their agenda was not invalidating the Dred Scott decision and confirming the citizenship of former slaves, but ensuring that, a century hence, the children of any foreigners who manage to sneak into the country illegally and give birth would become full-fledged U.S. citizens.)

As I’ve noted before, Hispanic women have a higher illegitimate birthrate than any other ethnic group in the country, including blacks. Currently, 71 percent of illegal immigrant households with children collect federal benefits.

In California — which will be America if Rubio’s plan goes through — 82 percent of households headed by an illegal immigrant are on welfare, as are 61 percent of households headed by legal immigrants, according to the March 2011 Current Population Survey by the Center for Immigration Studies.

If you think Republicans are Hispandering now, wait until the children of 20 million illegal aliens start to vote. Rubio’s amnesty isn’t just bad for America, it’s the end of America.

Viva United States of Mexico!!

PappyD61 on April 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Sorry Rush is just a waterboy for the Bush family. And he’s currying favor from Rubio. If Marco was a Democrat then Rush would be calling him out for his flip flops.

Rush, you failed on this one.

PappyD61 on April 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

r keller on April 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Where is Obama’s I-9? Is he above the law?

ITguy on April 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Methinks Rubio envisions himself as the Hispanic Obama.. the first Hispanic President with 90+% of Hispanics voting for him just because of ethnic pride.

Someone whispered in his ear that supporting and selling amnesty (it is what it is) would enable him to be the next President (someone in the Gang of 8??) and he is now convinced it will happen so to hell with America and it’s interests.

I’m at the point that I don’t even want to vote anymore.. it seems so useless right now…

unaffiliated on April 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

And exactly how does maintaining the status quo help the unemployed?

Terrye

Exactly who is saying maintaining the status quo helps the unemployed and is the solution to the illegal immigration problem?

and btw, Mickey Kaus for all his hardliner posturing is a Democrat.

Terrye

Man, I didn’t know that. I guess amnesty for 20-30 million is a good idea after all then. Man, what was I thinking, lol.

I guess we can add Kaus the democrat to the list of people who can do something you can’t: Think.

So, Rush helping democrats more than republicans is bad, but Rubio-Paul-Ryan helping democrats more than republicans is good. That’s the level of brilliance we’ve come to expect from you. Maybe one day you’ll figure out it’s not about helping the republican party, but about saving the country. Liberalism isn’s a good thing if it comes from young blood republicans instead.

By the way, have you officially come out of the closet yet, or are you still pretending to be a republican?

xblade on April 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM