Report: 60-70 dead in Texas fertilizer plant explosion; Update: 5-15 dead, 160 injured

posted at 12:02 am on April 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

First came the fire, then the blast. Assuming the EMS reports are correct, a terror attack on U.S. soil is responsible for only the second-largest mass-casualty event this week. Dwell on that.

Unbelievable:

West EMS Director Dr. George Smith says as many as 60 or 70 people died and hundreds were injured Wednesday night in a fertilizer plant explosion in West.

A rescuer earlier said he knew of five deaths.

Meanwhile, emergency crews were pulling back late Wednesday night because of concerns about the possibility of a second explosion…

The fire started in an anhydrous ammonia tank and spread to the building, authorities said.

It gets worse and worse. More than 60 people are in the hospital, 44 in serious condition. Among the dead, per CNN, are five firefighters and one cop. The explosion apparently sent fire onto the local middle school and … a nursing home. I’m afraid of what I’ll see when I open up news websites in the morning.

If you’re having trouble imagining how big a blast is needed to do that sort of damage, here you go. No one dies on camera but the video’s profoundly distressing, needless to say. Proceed with caution.

Update: Another vivid gauge of the power of the explosion.

Update: If you’re up late and following this overnight, stick with the Houston Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, KHOU, and KWTX for updates. From the DMN:

“It was a small fire and then water got sprayed the ammonia nitrate, and it exploded just like the Oklahoma City bomb,” said Jason Shelton, a clerk at the Czech Best Western Hotel in West. “I live about a thousand feet from it and it blew my screen door off and my back windows. There’s houses leveled that were right next to it. We’ve got people injured and possibly dead.”…

Bill Bohannan, who told the Waco Tribune-Herald he witnessed the devastating blast of the explsion while visiting his parents.“Every house within about four blocks is blown apart,” he said.

A horrible thought: This may end up being worse than the Texas City disaster.

Update: CNN says a hospital nearby in Waco has been told to prepare for at least 100 injured patients. This is a sharp, and dispiriting, point too:

Update: You’ve got to be kidding. There’s also a fire at a tank battery in Oklahoma City that’s threatening a propane tank — and it was caused by a lightning strike.

Update: At least 200 people injured, says ABC, and 40 are critical. Help from the Red Cross and state agencies is on the way, but in the meantime local first responders are so overwhelmed that cops are carrying some of the injured to the ER in the back of their squad cars. The local football stadium’s being used as a triage center.

Update: Mercifully, the early EMS report appears to have overestimated the death toll. Officials now say five to 15 people are dead and that 160 are injured.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Wow is right. You could tell just by the size of the fire that something awful was going to happen. How far do you think they were from the plant?

Blake on April 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Good.

Sweet.

Lord.

catmman on April 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Could anyone survive the initial fire? They sure couldn’t survive the explosion.

Blake on April 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

OH MY GOD!

SouthernGent on April 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

My jaw is on the floor. Speechless.

Jackalope on April 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

This is heartbreaking. So many casualties. I work in manufacturing. There is a constant battle back and forth between the company and laborers that work at these kind of places. We put our lives on the line every time we clock in. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Of course risk is mitigated by engineering controls and what not, but the fact still remains that if something were to go catastrophically wrong, it is OUR LIVES on the line.

tom daschle concerned on April 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Any news how long after the fire started that the explosion happened? I can’t imagine anybody surviving the explosion.

midgeorgian on April 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The events of this week have been nothing short of horrible each day.

I fear for what tomorrow could bring.

Pray for Boston
Pray for West Texas

Pray for America

Blu3Yeti on April 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Sad thing is this probably won’t get any headlines as mush because the media doesn’t think the story is as sexy as terrorist attack. If you can’t tie right wingers to it right away it is a non story for them.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

West, Texas is well known as a little Czech community. That’s the ethnicity of the majority of the town. Sad, it’s such a friendly place to stop along I-35 with the billboards “A little bit of the Czech Republic in Texas”.

Marcus on April 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I used to go there for West Fest every year when I was in college. That is absolutely tragic. Prayers all around.

stvnscott on April 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Speechless. I just hope this doesn’t turn out to be deliberate…

Sharke on April 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My Lord, please watch over them.

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My heart is torn for them. God bless.

thebrokenrattle on April 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Tragic

Imrahil on April 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

holy crap =( that’s so sad..my prayers are with the victims families and survivors..not much good going on right now..just so stinking depressing

sadsushi on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Unbelievable

@AsalamaTweetum

Opinionnation on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

If you can’t tie right wingers to it right away it is a non story for them.

The Notorious G.O.P on April 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM

The angle will be anti-tax red staters asking for federal aid.

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Think of all the first responders who were at the fire, then the explosion. I feel sick.

Jackalope on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The video was amazing and a reminder to get away and how dangerous 1st responders jobs are.
God Bless all.

Live a day at a time to its fullest.

losarkos on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

The kid in that video is likely to suffer from damaged hearing, if not total deafness, for the rest of his life.

Sharke on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Hearing that child broke my heart.

hawkdriver on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

5 firemen and 1 cop are dead.

Schadenfreude on April 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

===============================================================

AP,Heightend Alert Me thinks!

Oklahoma Bombing Anniversary is on Friday 19TH!

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

May they be strengthened and comforted by the Hand and Eye of God.

Anybody making the I-35 trek to DFW knows West is the place where you stop and get kolaches for breakfast. It is a nice, sweet community. This is so tragic.

Sekhmet on April 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Prayers for America.

itsspideyman on April 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Blake on April 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Unlikely.

That was the equivalent of a small FAE going off at low level…a fireball that size would have had to consume LARGE quantities of available oxygen in that area after “cooking off”.

That those people were still *alive* and not toasted should give you an idea on how far away they were.. and still look at the fireball.

I guarantee you that NASA or any satellite pointing at Waco at that time would have seen it too…hell, I’d lay even money on it.

BlaxPac on April 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

This is so tragic… my heart and prayers go out to the good folks of West, TX…

Scrumpy on April 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Who will be the first liberal to blame Rick Perry?

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

When I first seen it trickle across breaking news,
my ears perkled up,then,it strated to roll in,

heres the first reports:

BREAKING: There has been an explosion in West, we have a crew on the way and will keep you posted.

Just In: Reports of a fire at West Middle School. We have a crew on the way.

Reports of a fire at Intermediate Middle School in West. As of now, unsure if related to the plant fertilizer explosion.

The explosion is in West, TX about 15 north of Waco. The is the West region of Texas.

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

That’s horrific.

This was deliberate sabotage. I feel it in my bones.

SagebrushPuppet on April 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

The people of West are mostly Czech and are some of the finest, friendliest folks you will ever meet. While the beer, sausages, and kolaches are to die for, the people are what make West really special. West is one of the brightest spots in Central Texas.

Truly a tragedy. I am nearly speechless.

stvnscott on April 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

****** Twitter Activated ************

Results for #westexplosion

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Explosion charted as far as Amarillo, 350 miles away.

pambi on April 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Who will be the first liberal to blame Rick Perry?

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

DBear already blamed capitalism and lack of regulations. Ghouls will be ghouls.
Just pray.

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

********* BOSTON EMS SHOUTOUT ****************

Boston EMS ‏@BOSTON_EMS 29m

Our thoughts are with emergency responders and medical staff working the West, TX disaster.
Retweeted by NBC DFW

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Very well said. I totally agree with you.

Truly a tragedy. I am nearly speechless.

stvnscott on April 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Agreed, once again. :o(

kakypat on April 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

May The Lord keep everybody in West safe tonight. May He heal the injured and console the families of the dead with The Holy Spirit.

My prayers go out to each and every person there.

Theophile on April 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Man. Wow. Go on YT and compare this to a MOAB exploding, I think this is bigger.

Big props to anyone who can work at a place like that, basically a giant Oklahoma City bomb always waiting for an accident to happen.

Bishop on April 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Awful.

Prayers are ascending for everyone in the area. May God bless and protect them.

AZCoyote on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Seriously, WTH is going on???!!

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Our poor country. God have mercy on those in need.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Bishop on April 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

There was a major fire first, so hopefully the place was evacuated before the explosion. I think they underestimated though just how far a potential explosion might reach.

NotCoach on April 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

That’s horrific.

This was deliberate sabotage. I feel it in my bones.

SagebrushPuppet on April 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I would guess that it was an accident. Some of the stuff they put in fertilizer is highly flammable and if proper safety protocols aren’t followed…

Going to bed hoping and praying that the casualties aren’t as bad as I think they’re going to be.

Othniel on April 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Explosion charted as far as Amarillo, 350 miles away.

pambi on April 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I am in Lubbock. I didn’t feel it, but I believe this. That explosion on the video was crazy.

Theophile on April 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Geez, that pic of the apartments is chilling. What the hell is going on this week? Terrorism, plant explosions, Obama melting down on live TV. And it’s only Wednesday night.

Doughboy on April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Live a day at a time to its fullest.

losarkos on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Amen. Seems we are getting daily, sometimes hourly, reminders of that wise approach.

Serious prayers going out to my fellow Texans in West.

4Grace on April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

That’s horrific.
This was deliberate sabotage. I feel it in my bones.
SagebrushPuppet on April 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Fertilizer plant near Waco in mid April. Of course, it will have conspiracy theorists chattering.

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

NotCoach on April 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Then someone royally effed up in that decision, those facilities are non-nuclear megatonners with what they produce and what they produce with. Usually their Halon and sprinkler systems are better than what exist on aircraft carriers, something went very very wrong in there.

Bishop on April 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Rep. Bill Flores, who represents this area of Texas, on CNN right now. Was asked about sabotage and he says he doubts it was sabotage.

NotCoach on April 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Pray for Texas

Oil Can on April 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Aaiiieee.

Rest in Peace to those who have perished and God Bless to their survivors and families.

Terrible news, terrible.

Lourdes on April 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I saw a news report saying cars driving along I-35 were actually blown into other lanes.

Marcus on April 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Our poor country. God have mercy on those in need.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Cindy Munford:

GOD BLESS AMERICA,with Love from Canada!

Btw,Good Evening,we have been hitting and missing on threads!:)

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

…Pray!

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Note to self: Rather than videotape burning fertilizer plants, drive as far away as fast as possible….

cynccook on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Un-freaking-believable. God help these people.

The Rogue Tomato on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Who will be the first liberal to blame Rick Perry?

Mark1971 on April 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Dbear kinda already spewed his hate in the QOTD

El_Terrible on April 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Doughboy on April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

CNN is reporting that there is video footage of a bayonet lug entering the facility through an unguarded back door.

Bishop on April 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Doughboy on April 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

You forgot the ricine laced letters.

txhsmom on April 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Bishop on April 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Quite a few places would fall in that category…and not all of them are places you would consider “dangerous”…

Ever see a video of a farm grainrey or sugar silo going off?

Back in the day when being young and stupid went hand in hand, the fun you could have with Propane cylinders, a .30-30 and a few other items in a field were…interesting to say the least.*

*=I cite this only as anecdotal and of course would NEVER condone such behavior…even when questioned by the field owner on WTF we…i mean…THOSE kids were up to.

BlaxPac on April 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Houston News ‏@abc13houston 4m

#westexplosion RT @abc: The town of West has a population of about 2,800.

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I read you…..your constant support is valued more than you will ever know. It’s one thing to whine about politics but when people die or get hurt, it’s devastating. It’s not good to feel helpless.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I really don’t believe in coincidenses…

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I wonder how the fire started?

bitsy on April 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Gov. Perry!

keyetv ‏@keyetv 57s

#WestExplosion RT @GovernorPerry: Thoughts and prayers with everyone in West, TX. Thx to all the first responders on the scene.

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Blood is desperately needed. Anyone in the area who can donate. please do.

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Link? I’m in Austin.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Hearing that child broke my heart.

hawkdriver on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I’m going to assume the child is OK. The alternative, that dad took time to upload his video to youtube while his kid was injured, would make me drive down there and kick his ass.

Ronnie on April 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

*************Crap De JaVu ********************:)

Stephanie J. Stephanie J. ‏@slj 2m

Chilling. RT@dre_diggity: 66 years ago today. NYT front page, April 17, 1947: http://nyti.ms/17qwl3X #WestExplosion

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

What a tragedy. We didn’t hear it here, but we’re a couple of hundred miles away.

Bad weather coming tomorrow, too.

trigon on April 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I really don’t believe in coincidenses…

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing.
Whoa.

Ronnie on April 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

“There are lots of houses that are leveled within a two-block radius,”

Remind me not to buy a house within a 2 block radius of an anhydrous ammonia plant.

pedestrian on April 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Jackalope on April 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My first thought too. Probably everyone in the area was there…

katy on April 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Link? I’m in Austin.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

KCB:Skim the Twitter links,theres a bunch:)
===========================================

rach ‏@DFWMommy2one 9m

RT @NBCDFWPeter: Ypu can donate blood tomorrow at Waco Donor Center – 4332 W. Waco Drive. #westexplosion

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

pedestrian on April 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

People are devatated! Many are dead… You are an ass.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

So we have:

1) Boston bombing
2) Ricin letters
3) fertilizer plant explosion in TX
4) Weird attack in California Someone cut some fiber optic cables and then fired a high powered rifle at an electricity substation.

I am gonna need more tinfoil.

bitsy on April 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Texas fertilizer plant explosion, April 2013

At least 200 people injured in Texas, plant explosion, 40 critically, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson says – @ABC

2 mins ago from abcnews.go.com by editor
=============================================

Texas fertilizer plant explosion, April 2013

Video: User-published video of the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas – Youtube’s Paul Lannuier

6 mins ago from http://www.youtube.com by editor

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Thanks!

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ohhhh…

Prayers going out to all the people in West, Texas.

PatriotGal2257 on April 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Just WOW,Texas Churchs,Car Dealerships,
almost every business is open,and welcoming
anyone who needs help,and a place to stay!

Truly HeartWarming,..God Bless Texas!:)

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

People are devatated! Many are dead… You are an ass.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

A simple calculation shows that about 153,000 people die each day. Enjoy your melodramatic newscasts.

pedestrian on April 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Technically,this blast was kinda like the Meteor Blast over Russia,
in that,.. “ShockWave Damage from the Explosion!!!

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

People are devatated! Many are dead… You are an ass.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Why? He made a valid point. You have to be out of your mind to set up home that close to a plant with such potentially explosive properties. Let alone build a school.

Sharke on April 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

pedestrian on April 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Gosh you are doing amazing things with that liberal arts degree! You think sooo..DEEP! You are amazing! Never stop being you. Do I really have to//?

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I was looking on google maps and the address they gave for the fertilizer plant is like five hundred feet from from the town’s middle school whereas the probable nursing home destroyed was about 300 feet away. The hospital is right behind the nursing home, so use of that is out of the question.

Anyway, thank God, school wasn’t in session when it happened.

Dusty on April 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM

West, Texas is a small town…about 2800 people.

Ya’ll Pray for these folks.

live coverage:

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

People are devatated! Many are dead… You are an ass.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

pedestrian on April 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

People are devatated! Many are dead… You are an ass.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Sharke on April 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

You really want to defend a sick individual like pedestrian?

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Good night RC.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

And Thanks!

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

The news is stating that this is a Oklahoma
Bombing,in scope,and bigger in blast radius!

By damage of homes!!

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

A hotline has been set up for an people looking for loved ones possibly injured in the explosion. Here is the number: (254)202-1100.

Katfish on April 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Good night RC.

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

And Thanks!

KCB on April 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Stay safe, Ken.

RovesChins on April 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Good Gawd,an entire Apartment building complex,near the blast site,
levelled and right down to the ground!!

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Link? I’m in Austin.
KCB on April 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

From Donna Karl at Carter BloodCare in Waco

BLOOD IS NEEDED TO TREAT THE VICTIMS OF THE EXPLOSION IN WEST!

DO NOT GIVE TO RED CROSS. THE BLOOD THEY DRAW DOES NOT STAY LOCAL.

Blood Drive at Providence Hospital will be open 11:00am-5:00pm and the Donor Center will be open at 9:00am (4002 W Waco Drive, corner of Waco Dr and New Rd by On The Border Restaurant) . We are at Corsicana HS also tomorrow and Friday. Please remind folks that we will need blood and especially platelets over the next several days as people are being treated so if they can’t donate tomorrow, we are open on Friday and Saturday. My phone number is 254-297-4002. I will be onsite at my office at 7:30am.

It is imperative that we get donations not only tomorrow, but over the next several days as blood products have an extremely short shelf life. Please donate! Call me if you have ANY questions. 254-297-4002.

lonestar1 on April 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Count me in with the tin-foil conspiracists , but I’m crying “false-flag”.

This and the Ricin attack- and Sandy Hook, and Dorner and Laughner the BP oil spill and how many other damned things that have happened in the last few years that really raise eyebrows of anyone paying attention- are just too damned convenient. This administration always seems to have some stunt ready to go; either to get bad news off the front page, or to manage perception of events out of their hands, or to further their agenda.

…a terror attack on U.S. soil is responsible for only the second-largest mass-casualty event this week. Dwell on that.

-Annalpundity

Yeah, imagine that. See how easy it is to drive the news cycle?

sartana on April 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

How can these responders who live near a fertilzer plant not have better equipment.

Mormontheman on April 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

The news is stating that this is a Oklahoma
Bombing,in scope,and bigger in blast radius!

By damage of homes!!

canopfor on April 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Volunteer firefighter on the scene called into WBAP…He said it leveled at least 5 blocks from what he could see.

The mayor said “We need your prayers…a lot of people won’t be be with us in the morning…”

workingclass artist on April 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM