Report: Boston bomber used at least one pressure-cooker IED

posted at 2:41 pm on April 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Not a pipe bomb after all, per one source who spoke to the AP. The explosives were reportedly placed in a pressure cooker, which in turn was placed in a backpack. And they came with accessories:

The metal fragments found in marathon-goers — 20 pieces, or 30 or more in some people — are too uniform, Dr. George Velmahos, trauma chief at Massachusetts General Hospital said during a morning press conference. They look like pellets or nails, something meant to do harm.

“My opinion is that most of them were in the bomb,” Velmahos said. “I think it’s unlikely they would be so consistent if they were pulled out from the environment.”…

Surgeons at Mass. General removed the lower limbs of several patients, some of whom came in so injured that they were considered “almost automatic amputees,” Velmahos said.

In those cases, he said, “we finished what the bomb started.”

What’s a “pressure-cooker IED”? The best summary I’ve found in googling is this undated bulletin (PDF) from Homeland Security posted on a Coast Guard website:

The Department of Homeland Security is issuing this information bulletin to alert frontline border inspectors and agents, state and local officers, and other first responders that there is continued interest by terrorist organizations touse innocuous items to package improvised explosive devices (IEDs.) A technique commonly taught in Afghan terrorist training camps is the use/conversion of pressure cookers into IEDs…

Typically, these bombs are made by placing TNT or other explosives in a pressure cooker and attaching a blasting cap at the top of the pressure cooker. The size of the blast depends on the size of the pressure cooker and the amount of explosive placed inside. Pressure cooker bombs are made with readily available materials and can be as simple or as complex as the builder decides. These types of devices can be initiated using simple electronic components including, but not limited to, digital watches, garage door openers, cell phones or pagers. As a common cooking utensil, the pressure cooker is often overlooked when searching vehicles, residences or merchandise crossing the U.S. Borders.

Terrorists have been using them for more than a decade, most frequently in Nepal, Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan. They were used in the 2006 Mumbai attack, and a very crude version was part of the car-bomb attempt in Times Square in 2010. Michael Yon wrote about them just a week ago and explained why they’re so common to that region:

In Nepal, Pakistan, and India, pressure cooker bombs have been common. The pressure cookers can make powerful IEDs.

Many Nepalese (during my 13 trips there, I have gotten an earful) were angry because police and Army would seize their pressure cookers and not return them.

This might sound strange or inconsequential from afar, but for people who live at high altitudes with little fuel, pressure cookers are as important as running water. It is difficult to cook well and cheaply without a pressure cooker.

Pressure cookers are ubiquitous over there so they don’t arouse suspicion. Al Qaeda’s Yemeni-based “magazine,” “Inspire,” has also recommended them to budding jihadists. Via Ace, the Jawa Report noted this passage from Inspire after Naser Jason Abdo’s bomb plot against Fort Hood was foiled:

The explosion that results from this device is a mechanical one. It results from the pressure caused by the gases and therefore it only works if contained in a high pressure environment. So you may use iron pipes, pressure cookers, fire extinguishers, or empty propane canisters….

The pressurized cooker is the most effective method.

So essentially it’s a larger version of a pipe bomb, with the cooker’s tight seal helping to magnify the force of the blast. Per the Jawas, a pressure cooker, shrapnel, and battery-operated clocks were found in Abdo’s hotel room; per the latest from Boston, the bomber yesterday likely used timers, not cell phones, to detonate the bombs.

I wonder how many FBI agents are tasked right now with gathering the records of all pressure cookers sold in the Boston area over the past, say, six months. And I wonder if the bomber was dumb enough to buy two in the same purchase, which might stick in a clerk’s memory, or if he bought them individually.

Update: Little more from Fox News:

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a pressure cooker was attached to a wooden board in at least one of the blasts. The pressure cooker acted as the timer, the source said, and attached to the board was a bottle filled with nails, ball bearings and BB’s. That device was placed inside a black nylon backpack and then dumped in a garbage can, according to the source.

A third source said that the FBI is scanning cellphone tower records for the “moment of detonation.” If the moment of detonation is positively identified, the corresponding cellphone number can be traced.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Funny there is almost no publicity about the UK pressure cooker bomber trial which is on this week

I only found out about it by searching UK news outlets for al qaeda busts

entagor on April 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Not one libbo at work thought jihadis would use cooking equipment for bombs, they ruled out jihadis because of the cookers.

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

So does that mean it was REALLY a pressure cooker, or merely a device designed to withstand high pressures up until rupture?

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Most homemade explosives really don’t explode, but burn very rapidly. There is a difference between a detonation, an explosion, a deflagration, and a burn. In order to jump from a burn to an explosion/detonation you need to contain the energetic material long enough to develop pressure and temperature enough to get the material to detonate.

Pressure cookers are one kind of device, another is a pipe (for pipe bombs); both work well for bombs like the ones from yesterday. You won’t be bringing down a building with a pressure cooker, btw. Although water heaters are very explosive, and many homes have been absolutely leveled by them. Its pretty rare today, but still happens.

If you have a ready-made explosive such as TNT or C4, you don’t need temp or pressure to produce a detonation. Its ready to go. Which is why such materials are heavily controlled.

BobMbx on April 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Rice cooking is probably not the best use of a pressure cooker but I know a good recipe for beef chuck roast if you want.

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Best laugh of the day. Got to go start dinner. God Bless Boston. Even the Red Sox.

oldroy on April 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Letter that has tested positive three times for Ricin was sent to Republican Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi.

Resist We Much on April 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

****************** Breaking ******************!!

Report: Letter sent to Sen. Roger Wicker tests positive for ricin, sources tell @politico -

4 mins ago from http://www.politico.com by editor
==============================================

@politico tweeted:
politico
#BREAKING: An envelope sent to an office of Sen. Roger Wicker included a substance that has tested positive for Ricin, two sources say.

18 mins ago from twitter.com by partner

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Improvised Rice Cookers?
Sounds like a Calle Ocho thing.

kregg on April 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I have 2 high capacity pressure cookers.

[BobMbx on April 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM]

I have three, one for canning and another for the smaller meals. Both are stove tops, not electric.

The third is an old one with a removable weight which I still use. It’s large but not large enough for canning and I don’t usually cook meals that large anymore.

Dusty on April 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

More: Senate Majority Leader Reid says letter with ricin or another poison sent to Sen. Roger Wicker – @AP

2 mins ago by editor

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Every summer my mom would drop me and my brother off at Nannie’s house in the country for a month or more. The last two weeks were shelling peas, shucking corn, picking peaches, etc. Then they’d can all that food for another week. I was terrified of the pressure cooker but we had canned fruits and vegetables for the winter.

“Don’t touch that! It could blow up!”

Fun times I tells ya. The first goal of those summer trips was getting our “Indian feet”.

DanMan on April 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Are you my unknown bro? Same experiences and I’m scared to death of them too. However, I prefer it blowing up to botulism.

katy the mean old lady on April 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

GatewayPundit has photos which may, MAY, ID the perp.

Dusty on April 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Even though pressure cooker IEDs were basically invented by ME terrorists and used frequently in the ME, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. They were used to kill US troops there, but jihadists would never use them against US citizens here, right?

It’s called denial of reality, or stupidity. Lefties are experts at reality denial.

farsighted on April 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

More: Letter sent to Sen. Wicker was intercepted at off-site mail facility; further tests ongoing – @NBCNews

1 min ago by editor

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Never used a pressure cooker, but both my grandmothers did.. so I know how they work.. just never felt the need. But the youngsters here never heard of them?.. every supermarket which sells buckets of chicken in their deli has a pressure fryer in the back, frying up a hundred pieces at a time.. they’re the size of a washer drum.

I’m no expert on IED’s.. but I had some training in improvised explosives. The training was in setting booby traps should we have to evacuate an AFB to make the facilities difficult for the enemy to use. Everything from tripwires, to planting a Claymore under a ceiling tile and wiring it to a light switch.. under a car seat to the ignition.. The Air Force didn’t like giving up it’s stuff without making it painful to the enemy.

The improvised stuff?

I’ll keep that to myself.

mark81150 on April 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Heard so called “experts” on NBC declaring it was obviously a black powder pipe bomb,.. when the FBI says they haven’t yet identified the actual explosive used… if it was so obvious NBC… why has the FBI not said so?

More it has to be Teabaggers.. white supremacists BS from the media ghouls..

They are praying to their false idol it’s not another muslim bombing.. desperate to have it be someone on the right so they can smear us all.. can”t even wait and see.

mark81150 on April 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The preferred technique in “Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom”

unclesmrgol on April 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

More it has to be Teabaggers.. white supremacists BS from the media ghouls..

mark81150 on April 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You said it brother.

Isn’t it amazing?

itsspideyman on April 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

mark81150 on April 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Plus they are terrified Dear Leader might be legitimately criticized and perceived as being weak on combating Islamist terrorist attacks against US citizens within US borders.

If it turns out jihadists were behind this attack, and even worse — horror of horrors for this admin — that it was al Qaeada, it will be very hard to spin it.

Which is why they will do all they can to avoid explicitly attributing it to Islamist terrorists even if all evidence poiunts that way. They will stonewall just like they did with Benghazi. After Benghazi they might think they can get away with it. They might be right. They might not really want to find out who is responsible for at least a couple of years.

farsighted on April 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

18 mins ago from twitter.com by partner

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The fact that it was sent to a Republican Senator from Mississippi on the Armed Services Committee, only further proves this was the work of right-wing extremists, because of reasons.

But of course, even though this appears to be politically motivated, there aren’t a lot of people who watch the Senator open his mail on national TV, so per sesqui, this probably isn’t terrorism either.

The Schaef on April 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

And honestly, other than national security buffs what American men would have one, know what to do with one, or even know what a pressure cooker was?

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

No benefit of the doubt for you.

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Lourdes on April 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Damn, that sounds GOOD! I’ll dig old Nellie out of the appliance graveyard and give it a try.

katy the mean old lady on April 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

um… most of us over 45 years old…. They were common in the 60′s kitchens when I was a boy.

mark81150 on April 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

um… I’m 55 years old and I recall a pressure cooker being used maybe once or twice when I was a kid. They may be experiencing a revival, but they were not truly common then let alone now. My husband is 71 and he did not recall his mother using or owning one. My kids have never seen one used and found the idea of one a bit daunting.

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Not a staple of modern American kitchens, but super popular elsewhere: http://missvickie.com/library/whistling.htm

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I’m about your age and my grandmother and mother used their pressure cookers all the time. My wife uses one frequently as do my 24 and 30 year old kids.

Aviator on April 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My mom used one at least weekly as did my mother-in-law. We live at high altitude, so maybe that’s why.

I used mine quite a bit until I lost it in a tragic accident on the lake when it and all our unregistered guns fell over-board.

Lily on April 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM

FBI RELEASES COOKER IMAGE:

Boston Marathon Bomb Photos

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My mother wouldn’t have one in the house. I approach mine as if it were a cobra.Everyone else in the family thought we were cowardly idiots.

katy the mean old lady on April 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hmmmm…….

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 18m

Bombmakers have long used pressure cookers as lethal devices http://nbcnews.to/111surR
View summary

canopfor on April 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Check out these photos.

Buy Danish on April 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Isn’t it scary that the guy(s) or woman(s) behind this and responsible for placing these bombs yesterday are on the loose…like how are they saying that there is no threat of any follow up when they are saying that there was no warning of an attack yesterday So if they had no warning before then why would they have warning now? Therefore, there could be an active threat. This is scary sh***t. Or maybe the cops are onto him and are playing a game with him through the media, so that he thinks they are not onto him- and trying to box him into a trap? Mhmmmm

aebloo on April 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Aviator on April 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Same here. I use one all the time as did my side of the family. My wife’s mom is 81, never used one and neither did her own mom. Course they grew up in MI where retards abound.

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM

clnurnberg on April 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

No benefit of the doubt for you.

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

kaboom, lol

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I don’t know if this is reliable information, but I just head on the news (radio) that the serial number of the pressure cooker survived the blast, which means they may be able to trace it to the buyer.

Personally, I find it hard to believe you could read the serial number, given the picture of the damaged cooker, but who knows?

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

oops. I have my mom’s pre-63 pressure cooker with no serial number. Or at least I did, until last weeks canoe-camping trip.

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I may be wrong but unless things have changed someone is full of it. I have two pressure cookers—90′s and the second from 2006 and they no have serial numbers.

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM

arnold ziffel on April 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM

It’s micro-imprinted on the bottom of the weight after you bring it up to full steam the first time!!!!!!

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Everyone should run out and buy a pressure cooker… then when DHS comes for a visit, invite them in for some beef stew.

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My pressure cooker has a serial number on a metallic tag. I seriously doubt if it would survive an explosion, though.

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I blame North Korea just because I can.

When people try to blow up my as$$ I get a little defensive

F15Mech on April 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Pull it off…you go to jail. Faster than the mattress felons.

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

There would be no paper trail if the perp paid for the pressure cooker cooker in cash. All they could do would be to ID the place he bought it, which could have been amazon.

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

The Rogue Tomato on April 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Remember, they got a VIN off the rear axle of the Ryder truck used in Oklahoma City, and that was a monster bomb. A stamping should be survivable, printing less likely.

I think it’s more likely that someone saw a number on the cooker and assumed it was an SN. It’s more likely a UL number or some kind of model or production data without the uniqueness of an SN.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

How long before we get federally mandated background checks and a registry for people who buy a pressure cooker?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on April 17, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Even if there is a SN why in the world would anyone assume that it could be traced to a person or even a store. I do not ever recall having a checkout critter look for serial numbers on appliances at checkout.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Not to sound like Alex Jones or anything… But to me it’s increasingly looking like the Regime would rather NOT FIND the perps if it’s Al-Queida (and it has all the fingerprints of them, even a bomb design that Al-Queida featured in their “magazine” and very similar to the IED’s used in Iraq).

The Regime IS GOING TO BLAME A RIGHT WINGER. Even if there are bloody footprints LEADING TO mecca.

wildcat72 on April 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Pull it off…you go to jail. Faster than the mattress felons.

WryTrvllr on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

First thing I did when I bought a new mattress set was cut those labels off. It’s my damn property, and it’s where I sleep. I can do with it what I damn well please.

wildcat72 on April 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM

wildcat72 on April 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Textbook “poisoning the well”.

Congratulations! You’ve successfully inoculated yourself against having to accept the possibility that anyone other than a muslim committed the bombing.

Such is the methodology of the closed mind.

chumpThreads on April 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM

1 Let’s require registration, background check and locator ankle bracelets for anyone buying pressure cookers, nails, ball bearings, tee shirts (rags for Molotov cocktails), gasoline, hammers, saws, batteries, wire, extension cords, clock radios, cell phones, walkie talkies, electronic books, common household products, gelatin, (have I left anything out?).

Then let’s hire 100,000 more UGI’s (Useless Government Idiots)-at high pay and even higher pension and medical benefits-like those morons who held a lengthy Boston press conference telling each other how great they are and, oh, btw, “we’re cluseless.”

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM

With partial information and a process of elimination, it is surprising (and slightly scary) how quickly you can narrow down a list.

If the pressure cooker was recently manufactured in the USA and had a serial number or batch number applied then I expect it would be possible to narrow the search down to no more than a dozen purchasers, fairly easily, even though the last record of the serial/batch number is likely to be of the carton being loaded onto a pallet at the factory.

The destination of the pallet would be known.

Some purchasers would have sent in warranty cards, which would reveal roughly when that batch arrived on the shelves and of which shops.

Other purchasers using credit accounts, credit cards, could be identified by register records at wholesalers and the like.

Knowing the shops and the dates (and possibly even the times), other cash purchasers might be identified from CCTV records (although this is less likely as CCTV records are usually only kept for a few days).

For the few purchases that cannot be fully traced a retail clerk might remember something of the people who bought them.

Of course if the pressure cooker were an ancient imported one, bought at a rummage sale then any serial number is likely to be much less useful.

YiZhangZhe on April 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Let’s use common sense-if you were going to buy a pressure cooker to make a bomb-

1 you WOULD pay cash
2 You WOULD NOT mail in a warranty card.

Hence untraceable.

The idea is absurd-after the pressure cooker explodes in a bomb–you’re going to rely on the warranty for a refund?

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

1 you WOULD pay cash
2 You WOULD NOT mail in a warranty card.

Hence untraceable.

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Recall that the 1993-WTC bombers tried to get their deposit back from the blowed-up Ryder rental truck, claiming it had been stolen?

We are not dealing with big-brains here.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We are not dealing with big-brains here.

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Possibly true but the same applies to many of our government officials. remember Benghazi.

My own theory-a disaffected young Middle Eastern male (possibly Pakistani or Arabic)(or 2 or 3)-either home grown or on student visa (possibly expired)who grew to hate America through either the teachings of his Imam or some liberal college professor at Harvard, Boston University, MIT, Tufts, Northeastern or any other local area college.When caught, the liberal media will say IT’S ALL OUR FAULT FOR CREATING THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH HE GREW TO HATE US. WE OWE HIM AN APOLOGY.

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I wonder where Obama’s homies, Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn, were. Is Kathy Boudin still “teaching” at Columbia? Was this an extra credit project? Questions.

“I don’t regret setting bombs.”—Bill Ayers

NoPain on April 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

chumpThreads on April 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM

That is totally not what he said.

And you have the audacity to grumble about closed minds?

The Schaef on April 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

1 you WOULD pay cash
2 You WOULD NOT mail in a warranty card.

Hence untraceable.

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The warranty cards allow investigators to know where a particular batch of cookers ended-up and, equally usefully, where they didn’t end-up. It allows them to know where and when a particular batch were being sold, and that means they then know which shops they should make enquiries at. That leads to a process of finding the other items from the batch and ruling them out of the investigation, which narrows down the enquiry.

As for your points 1 and 2, I wouldn’t count on them because (a) in my experience many of the criminally minded are plain stupid, and (b) the person using the cooker as a bomb might have stolen it from the person who bought it, (c) the card being used for payment could have been stolen, (d) the identity of the bomb maker could have been completely forged in the first place so that the trail would lead to a fictitious person.

Your refund idea is absurd, I agree.

If you want to understand how this kind of investigation is done, look-up the investigation of the Clipper 103 attack (Lockerbie Boeing 747 crash, 1988) — it is all well documented in the public domain — and see how the tiniest bits of evidence were traced around the world to reconstruct what, where, when and ultimately who. Then keep in mind that that investigation started 25 years ago and forensics has moved on a lot since then.

YiZhangZhe on April 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM