Oh, my: Mark Sanford caught trespassing at his ex-wife’s home in February?

posted at 9:21 pm on April 16, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Remember how some Republicans have expressed concern about what past experience tells us is the distinct possibility of Mark Sanford’s campaign imploding on itself?

Shaking my head. So much.

Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford must appear in court two days after running for a vacant congressional seat to answer a complaint that he trespassed at his ex-wife’s home, according to court documents acquired by The Associated Press on Tuesday.The complaint says Jenny Sanford confronted Sanford leaving her Sullivans Island home on Feb. 3 by a rear door, using his cell phone for a flashlight. Her attorney filed the complaint the next day and Jenny Sanford confirmed Tuesday the documents are authentic.

The couple’s 2010 divorce settlement says neither may enter the other’s home without permission. Mark Sanford lives about a 20-minute drive away in downtown Charleston.

Pro tip: When you are about to run in a special election in which you are trying to stage a recovery from a mind-boggling display of poor judgment, avoid further displays of poor judgment at all costs.

We already knew that the Colbert Busch camp was going to be hammering Team Sanford on everything that was wrong with the “Appalachian Trail”-governorship debacle, but something like this might provide further ammunition for that line of attack. The incident happened after he consulted on his campaign with his ex-wife in January, but before the primary and then the runoff at the beginning of April — I can’t even begin to speculate about what possible excuse Sanford might have for having been there, but I think it’s safe to say they were hoping this wouldn’t become public. No comment from Team Sanford yet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The GOP is killing itself by backing this dirtbag.

rplat on April 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Another selfish politiican ala our Missouri idiot.

Zomcon JEM on April 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Who says he violated a court order, you and the former Mrs. Sanford? Pardon me, but I’ll withhold judgement for now.

M240H on April 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

“The couple’s 2010 divorce settlement says neither may enter the other’s home without permission.” Try reading before whining.

katy the mean old lady on April 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I read it all. Apparently, you didn’t notice that there is no substantiation for the accusation other than the former Mrs. Sanford’s word.

But hey, go ahead and join the stone-throwers.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

A very long time ago, according to family history, my grandfather bailed out of jail his younger sister-in-law’s husband. He brought the man home at dinner time and announced to her in front of the family, ‘Evelyn, here’s your crook’. That was a time and age when people called it as it was and weren’t afraid to do so. Not sayin’ Sanford’s a crook but he did cheat and lie to his wife and the people of SC who elected him to office. I still find it amazing that the good state of SC, where I still have family, couldn’t find a reputable conservative to run for this seat.

Kissmygrits on April 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

see, this is what happens when “conservatives” mistake forgiveness for wisdom. Just like gingrich, you morons rush to forgive, but lack wisdom to see that this man is a disaster for the country. Heckava job, guys.

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

And this is the best the GOP has to offer in SC? Really?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Hey, didn’t south carolina nominate gingrich (3x cheater) instead of romney (squeaky clean) in 2012? I think I see a pattern here…..

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hey M240H who’d you support in the primaries?

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

‘Breaking & Enternig’….tresspassing… I said it before and I will say it again — Anyone who would vote for this pathetic, hypocritical, and sick/creepy LOSER is INSANE! Does he really represent YOU? Does he mirror who you are & what is important to YOU? Do you think he cares about ayone except HIMSELF? Don’t be an ignorant ‘SHEEP’ or a ‘facilitator’ for this dirtbag and other dirbags like him!

easyt65 on April 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hey, I thought we were big on family values. I guess conservatives only care about fidelity when the sinner is a democrat. Show a some character guys.

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hey M240H who’d you support in the primaries?

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I sent the other R $20. However, it’s become apparent that he too is a man of very questionable character.

My only point here is not to defend Sanford, but rather to not further dim his election chances on the word of a disgruntled former spouse. I’d rather have a dirtbag R than Stephen Colbert’s sister in that seat.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

sanford should pull out now and get the other r in as soon as possible. he wont. but he should.

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

… lotta “concern” trolling going on here.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

whatever.

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yeah, disregard the validity of my arguement by calling me a troll. Great idea for winning elections. Why did we lose in 2012 again? Oh yeah, idiots like Huckabee telling us to forgive Aiken, idiots like palin telling us to forgive gingrich, and idiots like you telling us, well, you get the picture…..

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Say there Genius who won the 2012 Nomination? Oh that’s right, Mr Severely Conservative, Mr. Electable….do you have any photo’s from the Romney Inaugural Ball?

JFKY on April 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

So you actually think gingrich could have won? Really. Wow. Perhaps santorum as vp?

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

drballard on April 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

But you haven’t put forth an argument, only the statement ‘Don’t support that scum Sanford’. If you find the Dem nominee more palatable at least have the huevos to admit it. Sanford is the Rep nominee and that is not going to change.

And GFY, idiot.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

No but your point was a Non_sequitur…”Oh Palin supported Gingrich….” who lost…to the guy who LOST. So I don’t see how your “point” proves anything….

And M240H stop with the “bitter ex-” theory…what we KNOW is he got charged with it….

JFKY on April 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

JFKY on April 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Well, it’s another “Stephen Colbert’s sister” supporter … great, just freaking great. /sarc

And that’s all it boils down to- a choice for the lesser of two evils. No divine intervention is on the way; choose, the dirtball or the socialist.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

JFKY on April 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Actually, we know the green room story link too. Which has the story from Mark himself.

I did indeed watch the second half of the Super Bowl at the beach house with our 14 year old son because as a father I didn’t think he should watch it alone. Given she was out of town I tried to reach her beforehand to tell her of the situation that had arisen, and met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone when she returned and told her what had happened.

So the court says you can’t enter her house without permission beforehand, and you admit you entered her house without her permission beforehand.

But don’t worry, M240H is certain that you’re innocent; your ex must have tricked you into claiming you were guilty when you’d never do anything wrong.

I mean who could think Mark Sanford would do what he wanted and not consider the feelings or legal ramifications on others…

Certainly nobody who loves him enough to ignore his past actions like M240H.

gekkobear on April 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

gekkobear on April 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Concern troll is concerned.

M240H on April 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

So you make a claim it didn’t really happen.

I show Mark himself agrees it did happen.

When did factual information become “concern trolling”?

When you didn’t want the facts to be true?

gekkobear on April 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM