Obama: The FBI is investigating the Boston bombing as an “act of terrorism”

posted at 1:21 pm on April 16, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

President Obama was cautious about using the loaded word in his first address in the few hours after the bombing last night, but this morning reported that the FBI is now investigating the attack as the “act of terrorism” that it was. From the WFB:

I’ve just been briefed by my national security team, including FBI Director Mueller… on the attacks in Boston. We continue to mobilize and deploy all appropriate law enforcement resources to protect our citizens and to investigate and to respond to this attack. Obviously, our first thoughts this morning are with the victims, their families, and the city of Boston. We know that two explosions gravely wounded dozens of Americans and took the lives of others, including an eight year old boy. This was a heinous and cowardly act, and given what we now know about what took place, the FBI is investigating it as an act of terrorism. Any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror. What we don’t yet know, however, is who carried out this attack, or why; whether it was planned and executed by a terrorist organization, foreign or domestic, or was the act of a malevolent individual. … It will take time to follow every lead and determine what happened, but we will find out. We will find whoever harmed our citizens, and we will bring them to justice. We also know this: The American people refuse to be terrorized.

The president went on to mention the countless acts of kindness that occurred in the aftermath, from the bystanders and first responders rushing to attend the wounded to the marathoners continuing right on to hospitals to donate blood. (‘Murika.)

His new SecDef Hagel said much the same thing earlier in his own comments about the first successful explosive-driven terrorist attack on American soil since 9/11, iterating that any incident with explosive devices is going to be treated as such:

Like all Americans, the thoughts and prayers of our people at DoD and all of Washington are with the people in Boston today, especially the families and the victims and those injured by what appears to be a cruel act of terror. As the president said yesterday, we still do not know who did this or why, and a thorough investigation will have to determine whether it was planned and carried out by a terrorist group, foreign or domestic. It’s important not to jump to conclusions before we have all the facts, but as the White House said last night, any event with multiple explosive devices, as this appears to be, is clearly an act of terror and will be approached as an act of terror.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Let’s get down to brass tacks. You have no idea at all what we Conservatives are about, of ourselves.

The only claim you have about us, from liberal propaganda, is nothing but bullsnot.

Liam on April 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I think it’s fair to say that I’m exposed to plenty outside of ‘liberal propaganda’. E.g., I do spend some time here.
I do not think conservatives are all about the same thing. As I’m sure you’re aware…many stripes…many who claim the name.
In general I find Michael Moore, MSNBC, & Kos as annoying as you do. I don’t hate…or even dislike George Bush. (Though that seems to be a conservative position these days.)
I don’t consider myself a liberal (though don’t reject the label…what would the point be?).
As misgudied as liberals often are, I prefer what it is that guides them then that which does (largely) ‘conservatives’.
That said, I’m all for good ideas.

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Some of us can pronounce them all right :)…

jimver on April 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Apologies. :)

Axe on April 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I thought we were being nice cluing him in. I guess educating them pisses them off.

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Ha.
Man, listen to yourself!
Sorry I’m not here 24/7.
I mistakenly thought Senator Casey – but should have known who RWM was referencing.
I grant you the ring for PA knowledge.

(Also…I am indeed leaving now. But you know I’ll be back…so you’ll have every opp. Have a good evening.)

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I refuse to call them ‘progressives’.

They’re not.

Liam on April 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yes they are. They are the children of the social progress movement. Like Marx before them…

I’m careful to call them Progressives to be sure that family line is maintained. They are trying to hide it when they call themselves anything else.

Take them back to at least 1900.

Axe on April 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I just call them what they are, socialists or leftists.

It gets right to the fact of the matter and makes the family line back to Marx very clear.

If I get tired of calling them socialists and leftists I take a break and call them pinkos for awhile.

I also recognize that not all liberals are socialists and leftists, though most of them are. The non-socialist liberals are useful idiots.

farsighted on April 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

for the record, i regret adding the “with glee” part.

sesquipedalian on April 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Too late for that.

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Take them back to at least 1900.

Axe on April 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

farsighted on April 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Axe is correct. Progressives go back to the 1800′s to the time when Hegel’s statist philosophy was imported to the U.S. It has mutated and permeated thinking here.

It is important to maintain that statist family line.

INC on April 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

nobody in their right mind would watch a marathon on tv.

sesquipedalian on April 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Your fellow Democrats in Massachusetts would disagree. Boston’s WBZ TV 4 carries wire to wire coverage of the Boston Marathon every year. And last year, their ratings were huge-their coverage of the “Elite” part of the race was #1 in its time slot, and that included in all the various demographic groups. In fact, the TV coverage of the race got every single demo in the 18-34 age group.

F-

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Have we ruled out Yankee fans?

Happy Nomad on April 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Actually, at tonight’s Yankees game, the Yankees fans will sing Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” during the 7th inning stretch in support of their fellow baseball fans in Boston. That tune is played at Fenway during every Red Sox home game.

Del Dolemonte on April 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

G. W. F. Hegel had a pervasive influence on John Dewey and other American educators and progressives—Woodrow Wilson for one.

In Liberal Fascism, Jonah Goldberg writes:

The godfathers of the liberal God-state were the philosopher G. W. F. Hegel and the scientist Charles Darwin. Hegel had argued that history was an unfolding evolutionary process, and the engine driving that process was the state. The “State is the actually existing, realized moral life…The divine idea as it exists on earth,” Hegel declared in The Philosophy of History. “[A]ll worth which the human being possesses—all spiritual reality, he possesses only through the State.” The movement of the state through time was the “march of God on earth.” (p. 218).

Luke Martin has summarized Hegel’s philosophy in Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. In the quote below, the emphases are his, but I’ve taken out his embedded links. If you’re interested in further reading on Hegel, Martin can give you a place to begin.

He advocated a kind of historically-minded Absolute Idealism…in which the universe would realize its spiritual potential through the development of human society, and in which mind and nature can be seen as two abstractions of one indivisible whole Spirit….

…He saw history as as a progression, always moving forward, never static, in which each successive movement emerges as a solution to the contradictions inherent in the preceding movement. He believed that every complex situation contains within itself conflicting elements, which work to destabilize the situation, leading it to breakdown into a new situation in which the conflicts are resolved….

In political and social terms, Hegel saw the ultimate destination of this historical process as a conflict-free and totally rational society or state….He did not expound in any detail, though, on his vision of the ideal state, and how such a state might avoid sinking into authoritarianism and Totalitarianism.

INC on April 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

“The Refounding of America” by Tiffany Jones Miller was published in NR deadtree last fall. It was online, but they have taken it down—which I can hardly believe. It should have been left up as a public service! I did find via the Wayback Machine.

The “progressive” label is back in vogue; politicians of the Left routinely use it to describe themselves, hoping to avoid the radical connotations associated with being “liberal” in the post-Reagan era. The irony in this is manifold, especially because the aim of the movement to which the name refers, the late-19th- and early-20th-century progressive movement, was anything but moderate.

If the progressive label seems less radical today, it is only because progressivism is less well known than its liberal progeny. It was initially an academic phenomenon far removed from American politics. Particularly in the post–Civil War American university, professors — many of whom had obtained their graduate training in German universities, and whose thought reflected the “intoxicating effect of the undiluted Hegelian philosophy upon the American mind,” as progressive Charles Merriam once put it — articulated a critique of America that was as deep as it was wide…

INC on April 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM

INC on April 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Marx basically agreed with Hegel’s theory of history and extrapolated it into economics.

And the notion that Darwin was a “godfather of the liberal God-state” is ridiculous. Darwin was a scientist and a biologist, not a political theorist or a philosophy of history theorist.

Since I do not want to get side tracked into a discussion of Darwin I’ll leave it at that.

farsighted on April 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

What exactly would that be?

The Schaef on April 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I grant you the ring for PA knowledge.

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Did you mistakenly think Senator Casey was pro-life also? You are such a BSer.

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM
What exactly would that be?

The Schaef on April 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Not being responsible for anything they say or do.

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I grant you the ring for PA knowledge.
verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Did you mistakenly think Senator Casey was pro-life also? You are such a BSer.
hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Well, yes…I did mistakenly did think that.
I accepted what RWM told me…my fault as I had the wrong Casey.
Man, we’re really dissecting this one.
And RWM set me straight. Not sure why you’re in the middle of this really.
RWM is fully capable.
She gives good thread.

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM

To RWM,
Re: my 9:15 reference to you in response to Hawkdriver.
I was trying to be humorously complimentary, but reading it after posting, my closing line seems crass.
Apologies.

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Well, yes…I did mistakenly did think that.

Obviously.

I accepted what RWM told me…my fault as I had the wrong Casey.

Good on ya.

Man, we’re really dissecting this one.

It was an important point.

And RWM set me straight. Not sure why you’re in the middle of this really.
RWM is fully capable.
She gives good thread.

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I know you forget what you write, who’s exchanging with you and even sometimes who you’re commenting as, but you were exchanging with me in that thread also. I didn’t know there were limits to what I’m allowed to address. I realize when you get your ass is handed to you, you feel like moving on to the next sucker who isn’t reading the dripping condescension in your exchanges, especially the more embarrassing exchanges; but all you have to do is just explain when you’re pretty much exhausted what you’ve got and most polite folks who comment here will move on. I know I will.

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

when “you’ve” pretty much …

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

hawkdriver on April 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Well I am exhausted.
So you’ll move on?

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Hippie at IOTW is probably spot on, pointing out that (christian) President Revenge is very comfortably throwing around the word terrorism when speaking of Boston, which will now be endlessly regurgitated by his sycophant Pravda Media comrades.

This is a pretty good indication that the Country Club Marxist has privy to the inside information, and knows this was a domestic bombing and doesn’t have to worry that his rag head brothers who share his desire to destroy- sorry - transform America, are going to be front and center in the Jihadi haters spotlight.

No, Chrissie and fellow commies will be unencumbered to go back to the Right- wing or Tea Party insinuations.

Lovely.

FlaMurph on April 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Terror, Not Terror..I still recall Ft. Hood!

RUMOR CHECK: WAS FT. HOOD SHOOTER NIDAL HASAN PROMOTED, GIVEN A MEDAL IN JAIL? Lt. Colonel, Doctor Nidal Hasan to you…See Daily Blaze or the always reliable Duffel Blog.

BTW, if Fort Hood was workplace violence, was any investigation undertaken to prevent same in the future?

IlikedAUH2O on April 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM

verbaluce on April 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

What exactly would that be?

The Schaef on April 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Simple.

Unrestrained Emotion (progressive liberal) vs. Cause and Effect Logic (conservative)

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on April 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

The coverup continues….

Saudi national cleared.

Now hunt down a right-wing, heterosexual, Republican Christian male as the scapegoat.

This is a farce.

Remember Richard A. Jewell?

patch on April 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM

So after complaining about all this unwarranted treatment, when asked a direct, non-rhetorical question about the philosophies driving support of Democrat policies… verbaluce has naught to say?

The Schaef on April 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM