Immigration bill hearing pushed to Friday to give Congress time, you know, read it

posted at 10:01 pm on April 16, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

There’s been a lot of talk about whether an immigration bill would have any hearings at all, nevermind whether lawmakers might actually have time to read the massive legislation before the hearing. It’s, of course, in the interests of those who like what they know about the bill to speed the process so those factions who don’t like it don’t have time to rally in opposition. Or, as in the case of a version of the health care bill, they don’t start finding and publicizing things like the infamous Cornhusker Kickback. It looks like common sense is prevailing at the moment:

A spokesman for Florida Sen. Marco Rubio says a hearing scheduled Wednesday in the Senate on the comprehensive immigration reform effort being pushed by the the Republican and seven other senators will be postponed until the end of the week.

“BREAKING: Lots of concern there wouldn’t be enough time to read bill before Wednesday’s Judiciary hearing, so hearing’s been moved to Friday,” Rubio spokesman Alex Conant wrote on Twitter.

A text of the massive bill, which was crafted without public scrutiny by a bipartisan group of senators popularly called the ”Gang of Eight,” has not yet been released. NBC News reported Monday that the Gang of Eight’s members are “racing to complete” the legislation and hope to present it formally on Tuesday.

Tuesday to Friday seems much more reasonable than an overnight deadline for reading this monster of a bill. There will be another hearing on the bill Monday. The delay comes thanks to critical news coverage and complaints from lawmakers about the tight turnaround.

Sen. Marco Rubio, who knows any Republican support for the bill will have to be earned through attempts at an open process, had been pushing for multiple hearingsa request flatly denied by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT). He backed off Monday:

On Monday, Leahy made a gesture to those critics, delaying a previously scheduled hearing from Wednesday to Friday, and scheduling one more for next Monday.

“Over the course of the next week, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold two hearings on a forthcoming, bipartisan proposal to reform the Nation’s broken immigration system,” Leahy said in a statement. “I look forward to reviewing the bill, holding prompt hearings on the legislation, and proceeding to debating and marking up legislation on this important issue.”

Supporters of the bill are trying to navigate tricky political waters that have drowned prior attempts to pass an immigration overhaul. Even debates over process have the potential to scuttle a deal.

My skepticism of this bill comes, less from its content, about which I’m ambivalent and uncertain, and more from my utter lack of confidence that Congress can manage or even understand complex systems that it’s been spending the last half a century making more and more complex. In light of that concern, one hearing is better than none and two is better than one, but I still have very little confidence that anyone understands the current system in full or can accomplish what would need to be done to make it simpler and fairer. Same goes for the tax system. The beauty of a federal government so large and complex is that the number of people who understand any given system has dwindled to two Congressional Research Service employees, three subject experts, and the handful of regulators and actors whose livelihoods rely on understanding it. That’s not to say that all legislators or staffers are ignorant of the laws they’re passing. Some of them work very hard to translate possible solutions into complex legalese and then explain it again to the public, but the idea that large bills can actually pass through Congress with those solutions intact seems more and more unlikely with every broken Obamacare promise and every negative consequence of its making. In the case of Obamacare, a bunch of legislators who didn’t fully understand the system or what it would take to implement their plans made a lot of promises, dropped a problem in all of our laps, congratulated themselves for doing something because the status quo wasn’t acceptable, and just continue to make the same promises as their Frankenstein falls apart before our eyes.

And, that’s what Sen. Marco Rubio is up against, even with Republicans who might not be hard-liners on the subject of immigration. Bill authors can promise all day long that certain obstacles will make the bill’s legalization process more onerous than going back to one’s home country to stay in line. But common sense suggests if people aren’t traveling back home when no legalization process is in place, why would they start when one is implemented? They can promise six ways from Sunday that border security and a border fence will come to be, but there is a perfectly obvious history of the federal government breaking that promise that makes people doubt. The fact that one of the triggers is a “commission” on border security is not inspiring of confidence if you know anything about commissions in Washington.

Rubio addressed some of those concerns in a conference call today, in which Erika Johnsen was a participant, and he included several assurances that the bill process would not be fast. He noted that the Senate has already agreed to two hearings, and he hopes for more. He described the negotiated “Gang of Eight” bill as a starting point, not a finished product to be rammed through, adding that he doesn’t think it will even be in committees and on the floor for weeks or months.

He said that his first priority is to be clear about what is in the bill and what isn’t, and that he doesn’t want to shield the bill from public input, but hopes the public will improve it. We will learn much more about the bill in the coming days, and I will listen to its authors’ descriptions and defenses of it. But as with Obamacare and Manchin-Toomey, I am not terribly keen on the idea that we have to pass something because we have to pass something, and the federal government’s dismal track record of making good on its promises will play into my evaluation. That’s where I need convincing more than of anyone’s good intentions or the fact that a problem currently exists. I concede both, but we should know by now, they aren’t enough to make a plan work. Actual deliberation will help, though, and I appreciate Rubio’s attempts to make it happen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

It’s quite possible that’s what will happen. We have to unleash primary hell in 2014. If all these RINO incumbents make it through and are reelected we are finished. I won’t vote for any of these RINO scumbags in the general election. Let the democrat win. I will write in Mickey Mouse. I don’t care. Let it burn! If we had a red state democrat up for reelection in SC no way he would vote for amnesty.

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Hey, Mary Katharine Hamm, I think there is a typo in the headline.

bluegill on April 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

…WHO SHIT?

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Paul Ryan announced he supports “comprehensive immigration reform” shortly after the 2012 election.

As I said Mimzey, you really need to start paying attention.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Thats a whole different thing than chumming with Luis.

Mimzey on April 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Oops I bracketed in the wrong spot. Should be this;

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Hey, Mary Katharine Hamm, I think there is a typo in the headline.

bluegill on April 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Actually, the word “to” is missing.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Dire, let me know when you want to talk about the Wyoming oceanfront property.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Rubio will not run for POTUS as a Democrat..So I guess we need to talk about the ocean front property then..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Hey, Mary Katharine Hamm, I think there is a typo in the headline.

blueball on April 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Actually, the word “to” is missing.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

…(make her guess…where?)

KOOLAID2 on April 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Mimzey on April 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Unfortunately, in Washington most members of Congress support one another to shaft us. Look at how John McCain, Miss Lucy and Marco Rubio are best buds with Chuck Schumer. Schumer is every bit as sleazy as Guitterez. The only difference is that Schumer is Jewish and Guitterez is Hispanic.

The only member of the Senate that I trust right now is Ted Cruz.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I posted this on the other thread, but I have to do it again. This is too good to pass up.

Paul Ryan has a new soul mate. Don’t click on the link unless you have a strong stomach.

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM

This really is sickening. The GOP – plumbing new depths each and every damn day.

Oh, and this too:

- While in RPI status, immigrant is ineligible for any means-tested public assistance, certain tax credits, or benefits under Obamacare.

lynncgb on April 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Yeah. As if they’re really not gonna provide health care for anyone that needs it. (EMTALA). It’ll be for the cheelren, dontcha know.

bofh on April 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

From the Deseret News:

But others, such as David Morales, a “Dreamer” who is one plaintiff in the ongoing legal challenge to HB497, Utah’s immigration enforcement law passed by the Legislature in 2011, said he’s “pretty content” with the proposed federal reforms, particularly the focus on youth brought to the country illegally by their parents. They would be able to apply for a green card in five years and citizenship immediately thereafter.

Is this new? That’s the first I’ve seen about any 5 year plan.

lynncgb on April 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM

And don’t forget the dreamers’ families who would also be eligible once the dreamer’s get citizenship!

polarglen on April 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

If this is such a complex issue, why not break it up into two or three separate bills? Let Democrats vote against a border security bill an Republicans aga… for an amnesty bill.

Seriously, Republicans could have pushed for a border security bill, making Democrats constantly explain their opposition. But instead of any strategy to keep them on their heels, the GOP has once again let the opposition shape the narrative.

Dongemaharu on April 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM

How in the hell can Ryan even be seen with that guy?

What the hell is going on?

Mimzey on April 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Thanks, I needed that

Now I no longer have to be sad that Romney lost. I also no longer have to spend energy defending Ryan

They moved pretty fast, didn’t they. It was all one big fat ugly lie.

BTW I believe they are taking advantage of the terror attack to move on the twin bills. McCain tried to get amnesty through before, on Fourth of July weekend. This is almost as good.

My guess they are very afraid the terror will make the public squeamish about both gun control, and amnesty, so they are going to speed up the scam.

I believe the GOP may cut a deal on gun control, if the DEMs will push on amnesty. Right now both parties are reserving votes (allowing representatives to vote against the party) to preserve weak seats in the coming election. In return for a deal, they might agree to let the reserves (blue dogs etc) break rank. I give up three wins, you give up three wins in 2014, and it cancels out anyway

In return, you get gun control your way and amnesty, and I get amnesty written my way and who the hell cares about gun control anyway compared to dumping the base

2014 would then be the crookedest election in history, because both the DEMs and the GOP will motor voter like crazy, and pull military ballots and shake the chads. They would work together because they have to last until the amnesty kicks in

entagor on April 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Dire Straits on April 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

If Rubio will lie about his position on amnesty to get the GOP Senate nomination, what makes you think he won’t switch parties? Once those receiving amnesty start voting, few Republicans are going to be elected to anything.

Ted Cruz is Hispanic, yet he lost the Hispanic vote in the general election in Texas. Hispanics will vote Democratic unless Republicans start giving more free stuff.

Once Rubio figures his only path to the Presidency is as a Democrat, he will switch parties. Marco wants to be the first Hispanic President far more than he wants to be a Republican or a faux conservative.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Wigglesworth on April 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Yeah, well if the Let’s Be California Immigration Bill gets rammed down our throats, I think the GOP base will be so dispirited, we may even lose the House in 2014. And if guys like Rubio and Rand Paul think that supporting this will help them in 2016 – well, they may not have much of a party left by then.

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Eliminates the backlog for family and employment-based visas
- Expands definition of immediate relative

So.. MILLIONS upon MILLIONS more will be granted AMNESTY through their DREAM ACT children… as will their families… including cousins…etc…thanks to ‘redefining ‘immediate family”.

CHAIN IMMIGRATION will result in compounding the number of people who profit directly from this amnesty and from those who willfully shattered federal immigration law.

thatsafactjack on April 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM

The only member of the Senate that I trust right now is Ted Cruz.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I agree, but one of the most unsung heros in this battle is Jeff Sessions of Alabama. He helped stopped the bills in 2006/2007 and is doing it again. Vitter of LA is an adamant opponent in the Senate. The best thing we can do is call call call. Join NumbersUSA as they were also instrumental in stopping the last push. I sent them a link about Cornyn discussing how he was encouraged by the bill and the next day they had faxes for Texas residents to voice their outrage. Vocal and continued outrage will be the only thing that can defeat this. Remember, Bush’s last words before the vote were “see you at the signing”.

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

The Republican party seems intent on committing seppuku, but without the honor part.

VorDaj on April 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM

They have succeeded

entagor on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

entagor on April 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM

There aren’t many blue dogs left. Many lost in 2010 and the worst QB in NFL history (Heath Schuler)retired.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM

That is a lot of speculation among other things..:)

Dire Straits on April 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

thatsafactjack on April 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM

We will be on the fast track to becoming the U.S. of Mexifornia.

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Aka, the Turn Texas Blue Act of 2013. If a GOP controlled House passes this, I hope they lose in a landslide in 2014 because they don’t deserve to be in office. They stand for nothing. I’ve told my rep that should they vote for it, regardless of if he votes no, I’ll never vote for another R again. L.I.B.

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I like Jeff Sessions on immigration, but he is not so great on other issues (including fiscal). I look ast some senate votes and ask myself “How did Jeff Sessions vote for that?”

Rand Paul is unpredictable. He is pro-amnesty (even opposes e Verify). Mike Lee is probably the Senator I trust next to Cruz.

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

VorDaj on April 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Since we’re on the way to becoming a one-party system, I can see a lot of the RINOS jumping ship and joining the ruling class Democrat Socialists.

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Unfortunately, Texas will probably turn blue any way. The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas did a study in 2005. It projects that Hispanics will overtake Anglos by 2020 and that by 2040 70% of Texans will be Hispanic. As late as 1970 80% of Texans were Anglo.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Dongemaharu on April 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM

The GOP leadership does not want border security

That is the whole point

BTW I heard the NAFTA superhighway is coming back to life. It is a hard one to research, but folk in TX fought it. Couldn’t understand why already existing highway could not be enlarged instead of seizing property and building a new huge toll road, using a Spanish contractor. Deal was – the superhighway would be open to commercial cross national traffic only. Keep the peasants from seeing what was happening to their nation

entagor on April 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Rand Paul is a traitor along with Rubio and the others. Mike Lee is turning out better than I expected. Cruz has really walked the walked. So far, he’s remembering who got him into office, which was the grassroots. He didn’t have the cheap labor lobby like Dewhurst did. I just wish we could get rid of Cornyn. He’s becoming KBH 2.0. Not that it will matter if amnesty passes, because we’ll be ruled by socialist Hispanics in the near future.

TxAnn56 on April 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Dire Straits on April 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Do you live in that much of a dream world that you believe that when the 11- 25 million receiving amnesty start voting they won’t vote 70% Democratic (virtually giving the Democrats a lock on the Presidency)? Remember, as soon as they are eligible, they will start sponsoring relatives via chain migration. This will result in an additional 30+ million Hispanic voters eventually.

Hundreds of pols have switched parties for political expediency from Strom Thurmond to Snallin’ Arlen.

By the way, my price on the Wyoming is a mere $20k an acre.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

In the bill, It appears that they are exempting businesses with less than 500 employees from ever requiring the use of E-Verify while phasing in larger companies use of E-Verify over years instead of months.

This is a particularly disgusting piece because the politicians can claim they are requiring E-Verify but the reality is most illegal aliens are in small companies so this amounts to ZERO ENFORCEMENT.

journeymike on April 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Snallin’ Arlen = Snarlin’ Arlen.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

You’re correct. It should be called the Turn Texas Blue Faster Than It Already Is Act of 2013. Even if you didn’t have any more illegal aliens here, it’s the legal voting immigrants from third world countries that are turning it blue. All the anchor babies that can now vote, vote Dem. Indians, Orientals, and the rest also vote Democratic. Demographics is destiny and our fate was sealed with the Immigration Act of 1965.

TxAnn56 on April 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM

bw222 on April 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What, a Republican from Florida becoming a Democrat? How could that happen?!?!

Ok, but really, Rubio is the GOP dream candidate. They think he’ll deliver Hispanic votes, and he’s shown a natural chameleon-like ability to modify his views. Either him or Christie. Maybe both on one ticket: Fla and Nj, two guys who have no problem sticking it to the base.

Dongemaharu on April 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM

journeymike on April 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Most farms, lawn care services and builders have far less than 500 employees.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Dongemaharu on April 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM

That truly will be the end of the GOP.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

So what happens in 2040 if that 70% votes yes on a ballot initiative to leave the USA and join Mexico, and they elect a separatist state government?

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Has the bill text been posted anywhere?

Do we know if those “on a path to citizenship” can vote? (that was the point, after all).

Even the noble senators will not read the bill. They have interns do that. They want to be immune from its contents, if it proves to be crap, which it will.

virgo on April 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

So you are against amnesty..Yes??..What do you call the system we have now??..De facto amnesty??!!?..:):)

PS..I think most of us are against amnesty (I am)..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM

TarheelBen on April 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM

That may well be the outcome. Here’s the problem: there is zero reason to give any trust to the ones like Rubio, who gave you the shaft. They can’t come back

There was already a pretty big margin of non voting conservatives last time.

Next time, the margin is going to be huge on the conservative side.

From what I see, the elites think they have nothing to gain by working for the conservative base. The GOP decided to swing to progressive/immigrant.

There will not be enough in either faction to compete. the GOP will be truly marginalized, and it will take the economic collapse to build a new party, with new elites. That will come if the war doesn’t come first

In one sense it’s a relief. I do not have to defend these losers any more. Sometimes, I get tempted, but I will find a new groove. They are helping everyone divorce this political party

entagor on April 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Unfortunately, the media has done as good a job of biased reporting regarding amnesty as it did with its non-coverage of the Gosnell murder trail through last Friday. Citizens have no idea what the financial ramifications are: Food Stamps, Section 8 housing, 11 – 25+ million on ObamaCare.

Doctors are retiring early because of ObamaCare and we’re adding 11 – 25+ million patients.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Worth repeating

entagor on April 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I think Romney had the best solution – enforce the laws and many illegals will self-deport. Unfortunately, he probably would have changed his position had he been elected. Mitt has a track record on that.

Unfortunately, once amnesty happens we will be at a point of no return.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM

By 2040 based on where we are headed the US Mexico and Canada will all be one big happy Union with tens of millions of slave labor for big business that owns these two parties.

…..and the Ruling Class knows what it best you see.

National sovereignty to transnational Ruling classers means NOTHING!!!

Rubio is counting on being the Hispanic Obama. Unfortunately he is boring as a pile of pig truffles, and about as stinky.

PappyD61 on April 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

virgo on April 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

As someone stated earlier, once they get green cards or whatever they get to show they are in the country legally, they will get drivers licenses. They will use drivers licenses to register to vote (whether they are citizens or not). You can bet that LaRaza, ACORN (or whatever it calls itself now) and The Dems will be working to register these people.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

PappyD61 on April 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I am not sure Canada would participate. What’s in it for them? Canada has much stricter immigration policies than the U.S. They primarily allow immigration for those with needed skills.

Besides, few Hispanics play hockey or curl.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

journeymike on April 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

This is important because most of the busts on illegal labor are on big employers. The small employers will continue to use illegals, after the bill passes, because any illegal is cheaper than any legal. Small employers are being cornered by Obamacare. They will chase profits however

The bill is written to legalize the current millions, and bring in millions more. Regardless of what is in the bill, the border will not be contained. Who is going to impeach the President over border control? It has to come from the Senate.

They should call this the erase America bill. Written for the globalists, who can deal with a socialist dictator more easily than a republic controlled by the citizenry

entagor on April 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

…..and the Ruling Class knows what it best you see.

PappyD61 on April 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Did you get that quote from Barbara Bush?

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I left you a ?? above..Any comment??..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

TxAnn56 on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Well, enough Americans rose up in 2007 and stopped it, and I think it’s possible for the same thing to happen now. That’s the reason these tyrants want to ram it through. Americans, overwhelmingly, do not support amnesty if there’s no border enforcement. That’s why they have Rubio out there as the chief salesman. He’s pretty good at appearing sincere – but when you look at the facts – it’s the same old crap.

It’s just a much more complicated-sounding procedure of hoops that one must jump through to get on the Path to Citizenship – but once an illegal starts that process, it’s amnesty pure and simple.

And of course, a promise of border enforcement down the road, which will never come true, because the Democrats and RINOS have NEVER wanted to secure the border. If the Feds wanted to secure the border, it would be done by now.

We need to get the word out so that Americans understand that this is all smoke and mirrors.

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I agree with you that is going nowhere..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Dire -

I thought I answered. I am totally opposed to amnesty but given the weakness (and sleazyness) of the GOP leadership I almost see it as a done deal.

The only thing about the current system over the Rubio amnesty is that illegals qualify for far fewer entitelments than people who are in the country illegally (entitlements are primarily based on anchor babies and they will not be eligible for ObamaCare as illegals).

Does that answer your question?

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM

After the amnesty of 1986 the Democrats simply refused to vote for funding any enforcement. In the 1990s Newt Gingrich – a long-time amnesty advocate – helped prevent nationwide application of e-verify.

That’s the one thing about the Dems. They don’t backstab the home team. Most every Republican will. When we retook control of the House we thought things would change. Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy made sure that nothing changed.

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Can someone explain what Rubio is thinking? Does he think that putting 10 million currently illegal aliens on the road to citizenship will benefit the Republican Party, or does he just not care that it will hurt the Republican Party?

Or does he figure that this is his road to the White House, and by the time the illegal aliens gain citizenship, he will already have been elected to his second term and won’t have to worry about whether any other Republicans get elected after that?

J.S.K. on April 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Does that answer your question?

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Yes..The system we have now is broke..I have no problem having a dicussion for fixing it..Seems to me you are blaming the wrong folks (GOP)..Last time I looked the Dems control Senate and POTUS..Illegals now get almost as many “freebies” being in the “shadows”..It is called Realville..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I agree. The House GOP leadership fights against conservatives in their own ranks harder than they fight Obama.

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

J.S.K. on April 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Bingo. I think Rubio is thinking about his own career – and not the country or the Republican Party. He had previously stated that he would not support any bill that did not deal with border enforcement FIRST. Well, I guess he lied.

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

bw222 on April 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Enjoyed the debate..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Dongemaharu on April 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM

They could have last session, but THEY KILLED IT!!!!

Last session in the Republican House, Boehner and/or Dave Camp let Lamar Smith’s mandatory E-Verify bill HR 2885 die in the Ways and Means Committee.

Boehner is part of the problem, as is Camp.

Now the SAVE Act has been introduced for the 3rd time — first two were by (now retired) Heath Shuler (bluedog-NC). Shuler had 200+ cosponsors each session, but Pelosi would not allow a vote.

I bet Boehner will not allow a vote, either, this time around.

Establishment GOP listens to Chamber of Commerce, other special interest corporate agriculture and construction companies and lobbyists.

Me? I’m lookin’ at Panama — Johns Hopkins affiliated hospital, US dollar is currency, low crime rate, friendly to gringos, highest rated retirement locale.

fred5678 on April 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Translation: Let’s dump this on Friday when no one is paying attention.

Either Rubio is a stupid mentally damaged jack ass or he is a total crook.

entagor

Well, he was using the GOP credit card for personal expenses in violation of election laws….

How in the hell can Ryan even be seen with that guy?

What the hell is going on?

Mimzey

Because he’s as big a fraud as Rubio. That’s been pointed out around here for awhile now.

xblade on April 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM

The GOP is on a fool’s errand. Their theory is that Republicans MUST reward illegal aliens with their ill-gotten goods (presence in this country) or else the vast majority of Hispanics will never vote for the GOP.

1. So the GOP is totally ignoring the rule of law and basic fair play only to maintain political power, not because it is right and just?

2. The GOP assumes that Hispanics vote in a monolithic block, and they all demand amnesty for their illegal bretheren?

3. If the GOP votes for amnesty, they will LOSE their conservative base, and NOT gain significant Hispanic votes. The 54% (see below poll) are ALREADY Democrats!!!

4. However, if the GOP votes for the rule of law and attrition through enforcement, they will appeal to 40% of Hispanics who favor attrition, versus the 54% of Hispanics who favor amnesty.

GOP — READ THE DAMN POLL — the ONLY one to ever offer all three choices, including attrition through enforcement.

fred5678 on April 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM

What do you call the system we have now??..De facto amnesty??!!?..:):)

Dire Straits

I call it not permanent, which is what an official amnesty will be. What we have now is better than what they are putting together.

Dire Straits

The system we have now isn’t broke. A president refusing to enforce the law doesn’t mean the system is broke, it means the president is a pos. And last time I looked, it was another pos named Lindsay Graham who approached Chuck Schumer after the last election to get the amnesty ball rolling again. There would be no push for amnesty if republicans weren’t on board, because democrats don’t want to risk getting all the blame. So yeah, Obama and the dems may hold the senate, but it’s dumbass republicans who got the amnesty ball rolling, just like in 2007.

xblade on April 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I trust the political class to enforce shiny new laws!

The wouldn’t enforce the existing ones because …they were so old and dusty.

Liars.

profitsbeard on April 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM

TarheelBen on April 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I missed something, sir.

They fight President Obama?

Seems everyone loves or likes this bill.

Obama, after being briefed by McCain and Schumer, said the bill is “largely consistent with the principles that I have repeatedly laid out for comprehensive reform.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/17/immigration-bill-authors-defend-package-ahead-release-amid-security-concerns/#ixzz2QiLfRmQc

IlikedAUH2O on April 17, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Here it is, all 844 pages of the “Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act” aka “Let’s Put the Final Nail in the Coffin of This Once Great Country Act”. It’s disgusting and you better get on the phones now! Dropped in the middle of the night of course.

TxAnn56 on April 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM

We’re already taking great steps as a nation to destroy the rule of law. If we grant amnesty to millions of foreign nationals who are here illegally, committing crimes daily (some by their presence, others covering the range of benign to murderous) – well, we may as well call all the bets off. ‘Rule of Law’, already a diluted notion, will become meaningless.

Midas on April 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Yep. If this POS passes, then laws no longer mean anything in this country. We’re going to reward untold millions of foreigners for thumbing their noses at our laws — not just immigration laws, but tax laws, fraud and forgery laws, employment laws, ID theft laws, etc.

Not only are we going to give the law-breaking illegals the reward of legal status in the U.S., but we’re also going to expand chain migration rights so they can more quickly and easily bring in additional family members from their home countries.

Who says crime doesn’t pay?

AZCoyote on April 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM

On what page is the ‘ARREST and DEPORT‘ procedure laid out?

Anything less than ARRESTING and DEPORTING illegals, is AMNESTY.

Pork-Chop on April 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The very fact that Obama is praising Rubio says it all. Politically, outside of Florida, unless he switches allegiances (something to think about)-Rubio is thru-bio.

MaiDee on April 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

xblade on April 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Very complex issue..No easy answers..I am in the camp the system we have now is broke..Also the system being proposed has problems too..:)

Dire Straits on April 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Rubio is either ignorant of the contents and meaning of the bill he has attached himself to OR he thinks we are all idiots.

The Gang of Ocho’s huge border security loophole

Either way, “no-way Jose Rubio”.

Carnac on April 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM