Happy Tax Day!

posted at 12:41 pm on April 15, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Curious to see where it is your tax dollars are going on this fine spring day? The Heritage Foundation has a handy infographic with the breakdown:

Taxday_600

Or, if you prefer, you can check out the White House’s version of your tax receipt, which gets a tiny bit more specific — but conspicuously not that specific, hem hem. Fun, right?

According to Gallup, a solid 55 percent of Americans feel that their income taxes are fair, down from a high of 64 percent in 2003, with 66 percent of Democrats and 49 percent of Republicans saying that their taxes are fair:

Trend: Do you regard the income tax which you will have to pay this year as fair?

One of the biggest downsides to our wildly complex and convoluted tax code, however, is the cost of compliance that takes a big ol’ bite out of productivity; in 2010 alone, compliance costs came in at a whopping $168 billion and 6.1 billion hours, according to the federal Taxpayer Advocate 2012 report. That gigantic stack of ObamaCare regulations the federal government is currently putting together? Our tax code looks like that… times four. Oof.

Comments

Quite a case for eliminating Social security and Medicare? We just can’t afford it anymore and won’t have a choice in the near future when it goes bankrupt.

nazo311 on April 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Outside of the military (veteran benefits including), governmental operational expenses (such as the courts, the Congress, and the White House), the embassies, the border control, the post office (alas!), and select few national projects such as NASA, I don’t see why this budget is seen as legal by so many. King George definitely showed more respect to tax money than Fedzilla does.

Archivarix on April 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

In MA we get an extra day because of Patriots Day, but I figured why not do it early so I mailed mine out this morning.

Merry Taxmas, liberals!

Chickyraptor on April 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My check was sent last week.
As one of the few “makers” who actually pays taxes.
As I wrote the check..it was just orgasmic.

So HAPPY!

bazil9 on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Happy Tax Day!

Masochist

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Sorry Erika, hate to nit pick and have to out-eeyore AP but that dollar graphic from Heritage is off-base. In reality 100% of our taxe dollars and cents go to service interest on the national debt, the dollar chart above shows how “our” government’s debt(not revenue) spending gets divided.

abobo on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

This graph could use a waste, fraud and investing category.

antipc on April 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

As I wrote the check..it was just orgasmic.

So HAPPY!

bazil9 on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Masochist

You sound like a fun one too.

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Follow the link to the WH receipt.

Then, go to near the bottom and find “Additional Government Programs”, then hover over that link.

All is revealed in the pop-up.

Because this calculator focuses on how income taxes are spent, spending from Social Security and Highway Trust Fund Taxes are not included.

Interestingly enough, the very top of that page allows you enter in how much you paid in Medicare, Income, and……Social Security taxes to figure out where your money went.

Except for the Social Security taxes.

A lie of omission.

BobMbx on April 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

So is the 3% transportation stuff like interstates or does that represent the White House travel budget for the vacation enjoyment of the Rat-eared devil, Mooch, and the brats?

Happy Nomad on April 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

That would be the half of Americans that are parasites who pay no taxes.

Happy Nomad on April 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Happy Tax Day!

For a second there, I thought congress approved a new “happy tax”…where the government would tax happiness.

As I wrote the check..it was just orgasmic.

So HAPPY!

bazil9 on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I’ve been getting extra withholding taken out of my paycheck each week so I always get a nice refund. I got sick of having to pay every year, and getting a refund is a lot better than sending one. I’ll never do that again.

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Happy for some like Obama who paid only 18.4% tax on over 300k of income and Biden also who only paid 22.3/4% tax…

*Spit*

Scrumpy on April 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I’ll never do that again.

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Then you are letting the government use your money for free.

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

That would be the half of Americans that are parasites who pay no taxes.

Happy Nomad on April 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Uh – ya – given that 47% of the population pays NO taxes at all.
How about a study of just people who actually pay taxes?
Let’s see what percentage of THAT group thinks it’s fair.

dentarthurdent on April 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

PRESIDENT OBAMA pays a LOWER tax rate than…. WARREN BUFFET’s SECRETARY:

originalpechanga on April 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

WOW! So, we could balance the budget overnight. Let’s see… 23% + 22% + 1% + hmmm… 7% (for something less than half of the “income security” and veteran’s benefits) = 53% cut! Woohoo!!!! Now, can we get back to freedom and prosperity in this country?

GWB on April 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I’ve never felt more patriotic.

I earmarked my taxes to fly Mooch, I mean Michelle, anywhere in the world she likes, one way.

tom daschle concerned on April 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

i have been working on taxes for days and after every “investment” I owned tanked today I can see the end of the world as we know it.

losarkos on April 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

O/T Kinda, but tied to taxes and budget cuts:

0 is chaining retired military pay, and within 15 to 20 years, anyone who is retired/retiring will see their retirement vanish…

Is he doing the self same thing to unionized retired govt workers?

Ya better believe NOT!

Scrumpy on April 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You do realize that by doing this you are letting the feds use your money..It is better to try to work your return “to zero” or owe a little..Use the Feds money..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

losarkos on April 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Just wait til 0 gets his hands on your investments and caps it!

Scrumpy on April 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

As I wrote the check..it was just orgasmic.

So HAPPY!

bazil9 on April 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Back of the book blurb from the new blockbuster,

Fifty Shades of Taxpayer

Lily on April 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Lily on April 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

That there is funny!! ^ 5

Scrumpy on April 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Then you are letting the government use your money for free.

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Yeah, I know…but it’s the easiest way I know of to set money aside and not be able to access it during the year. My refund check only amounted to about $2,800 this year so I’m not talking about a huge chunk of dough.

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Merry Taxmas, liberals!

Chickyraptor on April 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Actually in MA you get an extra day to file your MA state income tax return. Not the Federal one.

In the past this was totally different; the IRS gave everyone who mailed their returns to the Andover MA IRS Center that extra day (this included all of the New England states plus MD, NY, PA and WV) but Andover is no longer the mailing address for the returns-the returns with payment included go to Hartford, and extensions and such without any payments go to KC.

Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Scrumpy on April 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Especially when your minds eye pictures a certain scene with Meg Ryan…except at the post office.

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

So, which Administration’s IRS has given you folks the most problems since you became a taxpayer? The Democrat Administrations, or the Republican ones?

When Jimmy Carter was “President”, the IRS audited me for the first time in my life. Have never been audited again since that time.

When Bill Clinton was pResident, an IRS Agent actually visited me at my home to demand payment of a past-due bill for $286. Never happened before, never happened since.

And under Dear Leader, I was threatened with a bank levy for a then currently-due tax bill of less than $300.

Under Republican Presidents? The IRS has never bothered me. Obviously them Democrat Presidents take their Golden Eggs very seriously!

Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I hear you..But you can take that money and start you a mutual fund or just save it..:)

PS..Great to see you..:)

PSS..What has happened to the Jets..They have become a trainwreck..Why??..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Sorry didn’t mean to double dip your post..:)

PS..You are correct..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

You should stall or use delay tatics..Make them pay “dearly” for that $300.00.:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

That message can never be taught too many times.

Put the money in a blind bank account, or savings bonds, or a welded box at a family member home.

The government takes the extra tax money withheld and they invest it for cryin’ out loud (or they used to). The feds make money off of that for free!

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

So you’ve been giving the government an *extra* little bit of an interest-free loan?

If you do that, it just encourages them to take more (because you can – obviously – afford more).

I don’t give them a cent more than I absolutely have to when I must. And, if I have to write a check on tax day…at least they aren’t getting my money up front and interest free.

Solaratov on April 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Happy and Tax Day are words that don’t belong in the same sentence, unless it is this:

“I’m happy that Tax Day has been abolished”

Something like that would be very happy indeed.

hawkeye54 on April 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

That would be the half of Americans that are parasites who pay no taxes.

Or worse, qualify for and receive the Earned Income Tax Credit.

hawkeye54 on April 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

If you get a paycheck (i.e., not own your own business) then see if you can get your check split into two different accounts. Change your withholding to be more accurate, and funnel the difference into a savings account, and then forget it is there. Then you don’t have to do anything proactive, but if you want to invest it, it is available.

cptacek on April 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

We ended paying less this year and the total bill was still 34K. Paying a big chunk to New York State taxes for working in Ft. Drum for six months really hurt.

I’m amazed at what the government thinks they deserve from me.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

cptacek on April 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Thumbs up..I love these capitalist ideas..It gives me hope for America..:)

Dire Straits on April 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m amazed at what the government thinks they deserve from me.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I could give you many examples of what the leeches would tell you about why the government deserves that chunk, and more, but just cannot bring myself to do it.

cozmo on April 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM

“Interest”? What a quaint concept.

Chickyraptor on April 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I’m amazed at what the government thinks they deserve from me.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

There are some in government who think it deserves all you have and all you are…..you should belong entirely to the state to do its bidding.

hawkeye54 on April 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I’m amazed at what the government thinks they deserve from me.

hawkdriver on April 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Now Now! The rat-eared devil doesn’t want you to be a hater. Just pay your fair share like he did. And don’t forget he took a 5% pay cut to show solidarity with the DoD civilians that are being asked to take a 20% cut for the rest of the FY once furloughs start.

Happy Nomad on April 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That would be the half of Americans that are parasites who pay no taxes.

Or worse, qualify for and receive the Earned Income Tax Credit.

hawkeye54 on April 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’ve never underststood EIT. Parasites who don’t pay anything into the system end up getting something called a “refund” based largely on their abilty to breed. Sounds an awful lot like wealth redistribution to me since “they didn’t earn that.”

Happy Nomad on April 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

And Intuit (TurboTax) lobbies the Government millions every year to make sure it doesn’t get any simpler.

They know their cash cow relies on this being too complicated to do by hand in any reasonable manner.

Oh… I almost forgot; sourcing my claims. The kind of thing you should do when calling someone out like this:

gekkobear on April 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

As someone who puts up with working for the IRS, I’m going to point out a few things.

#1: Just like the military, our normal retirement plan is the Thrift Savings Plan through FERS. If they’re getting screwed, we’re getting screwed.

#2: EITC. Requires you to actually work to get it, though it’s designed to encourage single parents and multiple kids, as well as avoiding jobs in the$25-$40 grand range. Also requires a full SSN. Needs to be fixed, but far less offensive than…

#3: Additional Child Tax Credit. Requires no income, no proof they’re even in the USA beyond checking a box on a form, is given to ITIN holders (aka, illegal immigrants) with no verification….I feel like a ducking (figure out what word was autocorrected) criminal every time I have to approve an amended return adding 4 more “nieces and nephews” to the half a dozen already claimed by some border-swimmer. That’s $4000 sent to another country and we’ve gained NOTHING for it.

So glad I got moved to identity theft…at least here I’m actually helping people instead of…well.

Asurea on April 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM