Dear Gun Mfrs – Come to Maine

posted at 3:31 pm on April 14, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

As more states follow the lead of New York, Connecticut and Colorado, passing rafts of laws which are decidedly unfriendly to Second Amendment supporters, gun and weapons equipment manufacturers have been feeling the squeeze. Some are already looking to pack up their plants and their jobs and head to friendlier climes, and governors like Rick Perry have been quick to welcome them with open arms – pun intended. But the rest of the more freedom oriented states apparently won’t be willing to sit on the sideline and let Perry grab up all the benefits.

Governor Paul LePage of Maine is getting in on the act, and he’s not being subtle about it. He took to the pages of the Wall Street Journal with an open appeal to the owners of several such companies and made his case.

When Americans think of Maine, they often think of rocky coasts, lobster and moose. But Maine also has a long and proud tradition of military service, a legacy of world-class manufacturing, and a high percentage of personal firearm ownership.

That’s why I invite manufacturers of firearms and related accessories—some of which are under siege in their home states by politicians pushing anti-gun legislation—to come to Maine. As a state that is fiercely protective of our right to bear arms, we will welcome you and your business.

If you read the full letter you’ll see that LePage has quite a few tales to tell in the interest of beefing up Maine’s Second Amendment bona fides. He tells a story which I missed entirely about a newspaper there trying to get a list of gun owners from the government to publish. He worked with the legislature to pass a new law to squash that effort within 48 hours. He also discusses Maine’s proud tradition of both manufacturing and individualism. But to really make the sale, he closes with this powerful and very direct offer.

Beretta, Colt, Magpul and any others: In Maine you will find air, rail and seaports that can carry your exceptional products across the country and across the globe. You will find hardworking Mainers, and you will find a governor who is ready to provide incentives and guarantees that will make it attractive for you to set up shop in our state.

I will never sign anti-gun legislation that erodes the rights of Maine citizens, drives your business away or infringes on the U.S. Constitution or the State of Maine Constitution.

Come to where you are welcome and where you will be appreciated. Come to Maine. I’ll even throw in some lobster.

I don’t know if it will work, but if I were in charge of Beretta, I’d read that letter, pick up the phone and at least look into the situation. It’s a pretty sweet offer, even without the lobster.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And nor should you be trying to call transplants aka locusts aka the horde of wreckers and parasitic scum.Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

also I was calling for the gun company to move here

19thgenamerican on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Actually, no, I think of Snowe and Collins, and then I wonder what kind of idiot voters live in Maine.

Hosanna on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Maine of ‘Suzie Collins’fame?

Piss off.

(Where’s Gov. Perry’s phone #?)

KirknBurker on April 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Aww. Sounds like kuku must have gotten beat up all the time by kids with a southern accent. Boo Hoo!

VegasRick on April 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Since you brought it up. The only kids with a “Southern accent” where I’m from rode the short bus. By the way, that inconvient coincidence is why all non-Southerners equate the Southern accent with unmitigated stupidity. Its like Forrest Gump. Hard to tell if he talks the way he does because he’s scrambled, or because he’s Southern. Talking fast and snappy requires a certain level of mental achievement. The slooowww Southerrrrn draaawwwl, nawwwt sooo muuuch. Blessss yerrrr hearrrt.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hosanna on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

And then I wonder what the next Governor will be like.

ss396 on April 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

OK, now you’re just being mean…

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

VegasRick on April 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

DaiKooKoo was banned from Texas after that unfortunate incident with all those poor sheep.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

all non-Southerners equate the Southern accent with unmitigated stupidity.
Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I was born in Joisey and live in New Yawk. Don’t you dare speak for me, buttnut.

You want to hear dumb-sounding? Try staying in Newak, New Joisey a week or Joisey City, New Joisey. Then go down the shore. When you get there, you’re down the shore. You gotta be from Joisey to get my point there.

I’ll take Texas over Joisey any time.

Where do we keep finding people like this, and why do they keep coming to Hot Air?

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Yeah, he strikes me as the type that prefers the ‘Brokeback Mountain’ type of cowboy…

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

OK, now you’re just being mean…

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I just laugh at him.

VegasRick on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I’ll take Texas over Joisey any time.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Agreed.

njrob on April 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Chaps and spurs on Saturday nights.

VegasRick on April 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Maine has the bopsie twins for Senators. Head for Texas. But it is Federalism at it’s finest. The way it should be.

CW20 on April 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’ll take Texas over Joisey any time.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You want to know what the South thinks of your kind? Hint: New Yorkers are despised everywhere.

If you like the South as much as you claim, do them a favor and never move there. You New Jersey types have ruined Carolina and Florida enough already.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

insanity wolf

tom daschle concerned on April 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You New Jersey types have ruined Carolina and Florida enough already.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Which is precisely why I left Joisey and would never move to Carolina or Florida. Interesting, though, that you first run down the South and Texas, now ‘defend’ them from lil’ ole me.

You do realize there are medications that help well with that bi-polar thing you have going on there, right?

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I’ll take Texas over Joisey any time.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Everybody stay in your assigned states!! Nobody move! All states except the Rocky Mountain States are stupid. DaiKooKoo must have had carnal knowledge of animals in all 50states. Like a predator, he cannot leave the state without permission and anything with fur has been removed from his locale. They’re the only state that understands his issues. They do have Boulder, you know.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Daikokuco, why are you so anti federalist, the beauty of our country is that we can move to places as they change, hell America it’s self is the same for the rest of the world. I guess your almighty bloodline has for all eternity been in whatever state your in now. That’s the only logical way to maintain your vitriol against people who want to move around the country.

19thgenamerican on April 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM

But in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, WYOMING, New Mexico, Texans are a big stuffed shirt pathetic JOKE. Bunch of sequined wannabes. Like the rest of their Southern ilk.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

LIAR. You’re just making shite up again. I lived in Wyoming for several years, back when we had gas lines-thanks to the “best president ever”/, and the locals didn’t have that attitude at all. I met people from all over the country who were in Wyo. at that time because they all wanted the same dam thing… a job (building a power plant). I spent some extended time in all of the surrounding states and never… not once… encountered that attitude.

You obviously have some sort of inferiority complex that makes you lie the way you do. If you live Texas… you should do us all a favor and migrate.

jffree1 on April 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Its called heirarchy, moron. Nobody here defends NJ, NY, MA, CT, MD, etc. here, ever. Which is good. We have a consensus that those places and their denizens (aka you) suck. The South, on the other hand is held in almost holy regard by a ton of the posters here. And therein is the conflict. And even if the South is as bad or worse than NJ, which it quite probably is, I will come down on the side of the locals against the transplants. If it was Southerners migrating to NJ and making it even crappier, in droves I would back up the NJers in their dislike of the transplants. So yeah, Liam, you stay put, because nobody else wants you, in all of the United States. Unless you are a skilled worker (highly unlikely)in which case maybe hat-in-hand Stutterin’ Rick Perry wants you to do the jobs that there aren’t enough qualified Texans to do.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I would say no.

The Northeast is not the future of this country.

William Eaton on April 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Fine. Never leave your own a$$. You’ll piss off the locals.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM

The slooowww Southerrrrn draaawwwl, nawwwt sooo muuuch. Blessss yerrrr hearrrt.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yeah, nothing sounds quite as erudite, cultured and brilliant as a heavy Brooklyn, Jersey and Boston accent.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Never understood how all these companies have their HQs in the Northeast or eastern states…

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

After deleting 8-10 sarcastic retorts, I got a beer from the fridge and become very depressed.

roy_batty on April 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Only because the loudest, brashest New Yorkers are ridiculous pompous and have an inflated sense of self-importance that makes the floats in the Macy’s Turkey Day parade look like dust motes.

Most New Yorkers are perfectly nice, competent people; I’ve only run into a handful that are arrogant, provincial douches like our own ernesto.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ooooooh, quick! Somebody rush me to a burn unit! Pffft!

How do you think I got to NY for a great job? Hint: Skilled labor hired away from the previous job by a headhunter (no, I don’t mean one from the Amazon Basin).

Are you always this kind of angry? There are meds for that, too, you know.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

There are no Fortune 500 companies in this state.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Well, that’s if you ignore the Democratic party.

PersonFromPorlock on April 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

You ever hear of yankee ingenuity? The north Atlantic coast was an industrial hotbed of development and technology. The South was an agrarian economy dependent on slave labor. Which one is going to be making all the guns?

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Things change. My hometown used to be a booming center of industry, one of America’s most important cities for its economic well-being.

Now it’s basically a ghost town.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Reading this thread with your nonsense was really starting to piss me off until I got to the above. I really laughed at it. Bet you wouldn’t say that stuff to another man’s face.

By the way I am from CA and virtually every Texan and Southerner I ever met I liked. Maybe I just run with a better crowd than you do gutter snipe.

arnold ziffel on April 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ooooooh, quick! Somebody rush me to a burn unit! Pffft!

Are you always this kind of angry? There are meds for that, too, you know.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

They would interfere with the medically induced castration cocktail.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Poor ol’ stutterin’ Rick Perry must scare the bejeebus out of Da’coocoo. Libs always tell you what they are scared of.

jffree1 on April 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Trash from California and the Midwest and South are destroying the Rocky Mountain States.

Daily kos kuckoo on April 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Please give us your definition of “Trash”, and then we’ll go from there.

By the way, the southern Rocky Mountains are in west Texas, much of which is also in the Mountain Time Zone. So your claim that Texas is a “Southern” state is at best Incomplete, just like most of the rest of your “logic”.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

They would interfere with the medically induced castration cocktail.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Maybe he just needs less coffee. There are plenty of low-caffeine brands out there that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

jffree1 on April 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Rick Perry was my guy for much of the last nomination process, for many months before he even entered and was on most people’s radar. I defended him with the whole Bachman/vaccine nonsense, and the whole in-state tuition for so-called “illegals”.

Then he completely and totally beclowned himself in the debates. I had been promoting him as the best candidate and the one with the strongest resume. So when he revealed himself to be an unprepared confused idiot in primetime, it didn’t reflect well on me. I’m still a bit sore about that.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Please give us your definition of “Trash”, and then we’ll go from there.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Once again, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Del “Cliff Claven” Dolemonte. Except that you are orders of magnitude more ill-informed.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

jffree1 on April 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

So, let’s put all Texans in Perry’s basket.
Shut up, you’ve made your bed. Nobody cares.

RovesChins on April 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Just to clear up a point, there is no ‘list of gun owners’ in Maine: the sought-for list was of CCW holders.

PersonFromPorlock on April 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Worse, the other People’s Republics like NY and CT can pass laws prohibiting gun manufacturers from shipping their products through their Republics, for spite (don’t be surprised if they try it).

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

They could try, but I’m pretty sure that would be considered unconstitutional.

But even so, there are other ways to get goods out of the state. Maine has access to the ocean.

(I agree with those who question how long Maine will remain politically friendly to gun manufacturers. My guess is “not that long.”)

J.S.K. on April 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

even if the South is as bad or worse than NJ, which it quite probably is,

Daily kos kuckoo on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

“even if” and “quite probably”? Seems to me that you’re admitting that you don’t know what the getalife you’re talking about.

A+

By the way, all of my friends who live in the Rocky Mountain Region (which does include West Texas, by the way) say that the vast majority of the outsiders moving in to ruin it are overwhelmingly young Democrat Voters like yourself.

Now, back to looking for pictures of (Democrat) Texan Congress Critters Sheila Jackson Lee and Al Green wearing sequins and Stetsons. I’ll keep you posted.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

They could try, but I’m pretty sure that would be considered unconstitutional.

J.S.K. on April 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

True, but I can picture liberals making the try. Albany could say, “Technically, the truck driver is in ‘possession’ of illegal firearms, and is therefor subject to the laws that ban such weapons while passing through the state.”

Liberals are very creative when they want to ban or tax something.

Liam on April 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Once again, you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

LOL! I was a Geography Major, you rocket scientist. Dean’s List.

F-

I never claimed that Texas wasn’t geographically a Southern State,

all I did was correctly note that the southern part of the Rocky Mountains are in Texas, and that the western part of Texas is in the Mountain Time Zone. You assumed the rest.

By the way, there is no standard widely accepted standard for what geographically makes up the “American South”. In fact there are 15 different definitions of that term.

Thanks for the laughs.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Governor Paul LePage, of Maine

Hosanna on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Dittos, what Hosanna said.
Hey Governor ! ! ! … You want to impress us ?

Start talking about the spirit of Lexington and Concord.
That’s … what the Second Amendment is about.

Not moose, or deer, or black bear, or wild turkeys …………………..

listens2glenn on April 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I would hope that gun manufacturers are smarter than having any faith in a New England State. There really is little to tell the world that Maine is all that different from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Connecticut. I think they could easily squish out and pass the same laws as the other states did.

Texas and Florida are unlikely to go that way any time soon.

bflat879 on April 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Whoa. How in the world do you know who might ‘want’ any one? Do you control the state of Wyoming? Texas? Florida? Carolina? Do you even OWN a biz?

What an arrogant azz you are. Similar to Pelosi with her “astroturf” comment.

Memo to Colt, Beretta and Magpul: Why move to the northeast when most sane northerners will leave as soon as possible when their own circumstances allow.

jersey taxpayer on April 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Hosanna on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Exactly. Any business stupid enough to move to the northeast deserves whatever problems they get.

I would never, ever, ever in a million years trust the electorate of a northeastern state. Ever.

ButterflyDragon on April 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Maine, The Way Zumba Should Be

philw1776 on April 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Yo Bozos Listen Up
Sig Sauer is in NH where concealed carry is readily obtainable
Stop with the New England ignorance

philw1776 on April 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Maine teeters on a knife edge politically. I live in Vermont and get Maine news fairly regularly. I like Paul Lepage and what I hear from and of him, but he was only elected because of the fluke of a competitive multi-way race in which he gathered just 38% of the vote. His re-election is not at all a sure thing and state could easily end up back on the liberal Northeast glide slope. Respectfully, I hope arms manufacturers choose someplace to relocate with a more predictable gun rights future.

mdavt on April 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for the laughs.

Del Dolemonte on April 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Except you weren’t correct. Seriously. Open up a geography book. By no definition is any party of the Rocky Mountains in Texas.

You are such a freaking idiot, Del Dolemonte.

F-

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Wasn’t LePage’s election in Maine really just a fluke? Don’t think it’s a good idea for a gun manufacturer to bet on the future political leadership being as warm to gun rights as the current one is.

Mark1971 on April 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Leadership? Try most of the population as well.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I still say Alaska will be easier to defend.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

philw1776 on April 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Yeah, but the NH we once knew and loved is fading fast. It is now purple and going bluer by the day.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Daikokuco,come on down to Houston.Get in touch and I will give you a couple of great clubs to go to and I’ll buy your first beer.Then sidle up to the bar and spout some of your s#!t off around those slangy, dumb Texas boys.You wouldn’t pass up free beer now would you?

docflash on April 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I applaud Maine for saying this however I have a hard time with the tract record of the NorthEast states infringing upon rights of law abiding as a whole, to risk not moving south, vs north to Maine.

There are plenty of other places with better climates, more diverse job markets, infrastructure and more centralized shipping locations. Granted, none of these products would be going to the NorthEast, it still makes sense to be in TX.

TX-96 on April 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I live in Maine. Snowe/Collins is the result of the newspapers being overwhelming leftist, and the Dems using that to sway public opinion. You get North of Portland/Yarmouth/Freeport, and the state gets redder and redder.

Having said that, Maine is one of the most gun-friendly states in the nation. Some 20 years or so back we modified the state Constitution to emphasize the right to keep & bear arms is sacrosanct.

In Maine, there are no permits required except for CCW, and Maine is a |shall issue” state for those. There is no registration required, and no licenses required. You can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 16, and a handgun at age 21. There are no background checks required except for those the Feds require at a retail outlet. For the time being, private sales are just that: private sales. You can carry openly in almost all jurisdictions.

Maine is also home to Bushmaster firearms, one of our larger manufacturers. We have plenty of area, energy, and a ton of skilled workers with an excellent work ethic.

Yes, we have a bunch of libtards up here, but not as many as folks think. They do, however, get way more attention than they deserve because of the leftist newspapers. BTW: Maine’s largest daily, the Portland Press Herald, is owned by Maine Congresswoman Chellie Pingree’s husband, so you know how they will slant everything.

But……. it would be an excellent choice for a gunmaker to move up here. We can use the jobs, and they can enjoy a very pro-business workplace.

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

What’s the percentage of the population that lives above Freeport/Yarmouth and that which lives below? The majority of the population is in the South and is aggressively Liberal.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Dear Insantiy Wolf. You dumb. You lose. Loser.

Have nice day patriot.

Davis Mountains, segment of the southern Rocky Mountains, mainly in Jeff Davis county, western Texas, U.S., extending northward for 45 miles (72 km) above the town of Marfa. Locally called the Texas Alps,

tom daschle concerned on April 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

It’s true that many in southern Maine are leftist and that they are in the majority. HOWEVER, the population seems to be shifting north these past 10 years or so, as many folks are getting tired of the big city and the corruption and nanny-statism that goes with it. Plus, Portland and Lewiston (though Lewiston is north of Portland) are starting to feel the results of their leftist embrace of multi-culturalism. They’ve imported a whole host of Somalis and muslims and have seen a whole host of property crimes and assaults, thefts, etc because of that. It is a result of Portland’s avant-garde not understanding the cultural differences between the two groups (Mainers and Somali/Muslims) where corruption and the lack of women’s rights in the immigrant community is seen as a part of their culture.

Rather than fight what they see as a losing battle, many Mainers are leaving Portland and Lewiston for more northern areas, and as a result, those leftist cities are slowly spiraling into a Detroit/Dearborn model, with predictable results.

Anything from Brunswick on north (sans Lewiston) is pretty much a breath of fresh air. Brunswick still has some taint to it because it’s the home of Bowdoin College, and the uber-libtards who work and go to school there, but otherwise it’s much better than anything from Freeport on south.

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Yup, totally misread what ‘mfrs’ stood for :S

Reaps on April 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Yup, totally misread what ‘mfrs’ stood for :S

Reaps on April 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I’m a proud gun owning mfr.

tom daschle concerned on April 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

That’s true enough. Portland is fast getting a reputation as a small city with a dark underbelly. Many of my New York clients agree with me when I mention that and say that they have said the same thing after visiting here. NEW YORKERS, no less.

A buddy and I were walking up Congress St. in Portland last Sept. and I happened to start talking to a guy walking alongside me. At first he was suspicious because, as he said, “No one talks to anyone on the street” but after a short while he says to us, “Listen, I’m visiting from LA (Los Angeles) and I’ve been here 10 days, and let me tell you something …(and here he emphasized) THIS IS A WEIRD CITY!”

Needless to say, he didn’t have to tell us.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Oh, that buddy of mine? He’s a cab driver. Had to switch from night cabbing to day cabbing because he couldn’t take the sickness at night.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

By the time you settle into Maine you will need to move again due to folks from Massachusetts overtaking the place. So gun manufactureres might as well move to Texas first.

banzaibob on April 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM

It’s surprizing if you can ever actually get a non-muslim/Somali cab driver in Portland these days. A little while back, my daughter and I were travelling down to Boston via Concord Coach. We had about an hour to kill, so we figured we’d catch a cab over to Denny’s for a bite. We walked outside and tried to get a cabbie and he kept pointing over to our left. We looked, and EVERY FRIKKIN cab driver in the cue for passengers was on their prayer mats. I told him we needed a cab now but he said he couldn’t cut in line and that everyone had to wait while these bozos prayed.

We decided to just walk to a nearby diner instead. When we got home, I called the Portland City hall about the issue and they said they hadn’t heard about it, but did say that it was against their policy to permit such things. There was a bit of a write-up about it with the muzzies complaining that thery ought to be allowed to pray, but at least the city stood fast and told them that they could work, or pray, but if there were passengers needing a ride, they HAD to take them or lose their permits.

As to driving a cab in Portland, I wouldn’t take the night shift. Between the rising number of both immigrants and meth heads looking to rob you for a few bucks, it just isn’t worth the risk.

What gets me as that I used to love to spend the weekend at the Old Port and hanging around Congress Avenue and shopping, but not anymore. I just won’t go down there after dark.

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Dallas makes more sense logistically… Sorry Maine but the transportation costs directly from TX nationally make much more sense dollar-wise. Gun companies would need stronger incentives than what the governor asserted to cover the difference in those costs…never mind Maine has been slowly but persistently infiltrated by liberal Bostonians since the late 80′s and I’ve seen their thinking long ago start liquidating your old yankee down-east philosophy, principals… etc.

wubu on April 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

. I just won’t go down there after dark.

TKindred on April 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

No, not really a “family friendly place” anymore, that’s for sure. It’s not so much that it’s dangerous, I wouldn’t say that; it just has a foul spirit most of the time.

Cleombrotus on April 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Someone posted this but I’ve forgotten who. Maybe someone will remember.

Every dot in Texas represents a Gun Owner.

bluefox on April 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

:sigh:

The way the NorthEast is turning out, I am willing to lead the exodus out of area first.

Hey Gov Perry, got any more room for Americans?

BlaxPac on April 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM

BlaxPac on April 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Give me 1 year or so to settle my affairs and sell my house here in MA and I’m with you. I want out of this nut house- More often the question for me turns to how did we/I get here?

wubu on April 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I have at least 3 more years here in Maine that I am stuck here. After that, it’s selling the house, liquidating assets, and off to Texas. I promised the youngest after her mother took off that we’d stay here while she finished High School. She deserves some stability in her life, and i can suck it up for that long.

BUT……. when she’s off to the military or college, then I’m off to Texas. I’ve fought the good fight here for almost 40 years now, but I want to die in a place that still respects the Constitution, and the individual’s rights and liberties. Texas is that place.

TKindred on April 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

TKindred on April 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

We just hit two years here(left Chicago in April, 2011), and while the weather’s temperamental and the natives talk weird…the freedom is wonderful.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 15, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Gun manufacturers better be a little leery of Maine. Maniacs voted for Obama by comfortable margins both elections. These liberal voters could easily turn on the gun people when another fruitcake explodes somewhere as we all know will happen because it always happens.

Then there’s the weather to consider. While it’s unfair to suggest that Maine only has two seasons–winter and the Fourth of July–or that a polar bear once froze to death in Maine–the winters are bleak, long, cruel and mournful. Be prepared for sore throats, fever and coughs carrying over well into the spring.

MaiDee on April 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Please stop that short bus = stupid nonsense. Those little kids don’t need grown men making fun of them.

rogerb on April 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM

There doesn’t seem to be much disagreement that migrating libs are like metastases.

justltl on April 15, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Even if Maine has some good people, so does NY. And look what happened.

TX has some libtard havens. Most of the major cities are pretty left like dallas, austin, houston and san antonio, however they can not run the elections because the rest of the state is so huge. The few in those places cant destroy the state with socialism if the rural areas wont allow it.

TX-96 on April 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM

a laughing stock in all the non-poser states.

I’m just laughing at this. I’m a former CA native and the only state that has more posers is probably NY. CA would be number one, but there are so many transplants there, they dilute the poser factor. Takes awhile for the noobs to get up to speed in that department.

I live in none of those places now, but I would certainly consider TX on a list of potential places to move if I owned a company that had anything to do with gun manufacturing. CA’s unemployment rate never recovered after the dot bomb crash. I don’t care what their GDP is anymore, they’ve wasted everything that they get their hands on (which is considerable with a population of 37 million people), and then some…with other western states being stupid enough to follow suit. There’s that old joke about an earthquake making CA fall into the ocean..it won’t be a real one that does it, but the economic earthquake that is coming to that state is going to turn the vast majority of that place into Detroit. They are the penultimate example of what not to do to succeed.

Back to the original topic, I would absolutely vote no for Maine. They’re a blue state so it doesn’t matter if the gov is welcoming. All it takes is an election to put you dab smack in the middle of the same crap that CO manufacturers are facing. If you’re going to move out, do it once.

GeeWhiz on April 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Maine voted and voted and voted again until they could get gay marriage to pass during an Obama election year.

The governor won because things with the Obama economy were so bad that tourists were not heading there and unlike the jet set in the White house, were enjoying stay cations at home with a good book.

They have always sent moderate senators to D.C.

Of course I hope, like you, that the R governor can turn things around. I just think you don’t know that they are blue collar populists and many there hate successful people with money because they don’t have any. They are easily coopted into arguments against the mysterious 1%.

Fleuries on April 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

There’s a key word in there somewhere… I just know there is…

dominigan on April 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

It’s a trap. I love Maine’s nature and still own property there, but the place took a hard left a while back and is now a badly managed entitlement state with extremely lax entitlement program and illegal immigration controls. It is basically propped up by rich retirees from MA and NYC (meaning its leftward slide is hardly coincidental). I wouldn’t start or relocate a business there on a bet.

JeremiahJohnson on April 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM

New England in general is one of the most beautiful parts of our country. Maine is absolutely beautiful. When I visit there, I do not talk politics. I would be hard pressed to find someone that agrees with me on issues. I would not move a company into that state, not even chance it. The populous have become accustom to liberal policies and appear happy to have them.

shar61 on April 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

“I think we snookered the other side,” he said. “They haven’t figured it out yet.”

… such are the unintended consequences of passing legislation that “nobody” ever read.

J_Crater on April 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

rogerb on April 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM

It only stopped being true when they started foisting unruly brats that the school could take a paddle board to on the special-ed classes. Which not only creates a discipline problem for the sped teachers but shreds the chances of the regular short-bus riders of actually learning anything.

MelonCollie on April 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

GeeWhiz on April 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Fleuries on April 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM

shar61 on April 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Maine has definitely changed over the past couple decades. I grew up there, and most of my family is still there, but I’ve been in Colorado for over 30 years now – which is getting worse as well.
Maine used to be fairly conservative due to the independent nature of a lot of the people – lobster fishermen, clam diggers, lumber industry, etc., and has a decent gun industry – Windham Weaponry, Smith & Wesson, and many more. But also had a strong union population – Bath Iron Works (ship builders) is a big union place.

There’s a lot of old downeast Maine humor that hints to the historically conservative nature of Mainers.
Old Bessy turned 85 and promptly went down to the town clerk and said she wanted to change her voter registration to Democrat. The clerk remarked “why Bessy you’ve been a Republican your whole life, so why change now?” Bessy says “well I figure at my age I probably don’t have much time left, so if someone’s gonna die, I’d rather it be one of them instead of one of us.”

dentarthurdent on April 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

One cannot trust Maine. I lived there for years. It is deep blue and its remnant republicans are mostly raging rinos when one looks t their votes in DC..They have never seen a tax they do not like and have been infested with refugees from Mass who vote.

un companies should go where they will not have to move again in a decade as they are taxed out of business.

JIMV on April 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

JIMV on April 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Ya – Maine has gone way left over the last few years. LePage may be a fairly solid Republican (I know the Dems in Maine HATE him – so that’s a good sign), but with so many lefties in the state, like the RINO twin Senators, there’s no way I’d move a gun company to Maine now. If Mainers vote LePage out in favor of a Dem governor, the gun control situation in Maine will veer hard left overnight.

dentarthurdent on April 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

LePage says a lot he can’t follow through on –

March 11-16 poll:
Nearly 90 percent of respondents supported background checks, even when the sales are private or at gun shows. 64 percent supported banning ammunition clips that hold more than 10 bullets. And 57 percent want an assault weapons ban.

verbaluce on April 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I am certain it’s been said, but with Maine’s senators- there may be better locations.

Susan Collins has already stated she will support some of the anti-Second Amendment restrictions circulating in Congress including Toomey-Manchin.

No thanks.

Marcus Traianus on April 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

catmman on April 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Maybe because the NE colleges were once based upon faith and the heavy load of immigrants were primarily Catholic–most of those now vote for Obama.

The NE schools are a breeding ground for anti-freedom intellectualism and no longer have the seeking of truth as their prime purpose.I could be reasonable in saying that their primary purpose is in the dissemination of untruth and PC and group-think is their mode of operation.

Don L on April 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

moving here would be the worst thing they could do.
lepage has been getting backstabbed at every chance and I expect a gun control bill here soon.

dmacleo on April 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

dentarthurdent on April 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Marcus Traianus on April 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Arthur, only one rino. King was never anything but liberal.
Marcus, Collins stabbed us in the back by co-sponsoring S.443.

dmacleo on April 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I’m in the western mountains of Maine, conservatives here are outnumbered and isolated.

aceinstall on April 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

A Realty agent from the South shows a house to native Botonian. Here is a house without a flaw. The inevitable question was…What do you walk on?

logicman_1998 on April 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Arthur, only one rino. King was never anything but liberal.
Marcus, Collins stabbed us in the back by co-sponsoring S.443.

dmacleo on April 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

aceinstall on April 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Oh ya – I keep forgetting King replaced Snowe – right?

dentarthurdent on April 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM

The Governor might be OK, but I would run from Senator Susan Lobster Collins” Her gun trafficking bill, co sponsored with Patrick Leahy, is one that can be used for or against you

The bill would, for the first time, define gun trafficking and straw purchasing as crimes under federal law. It proposes harsh penalties for anyone who purchases a firearm or ammunition with the intent to transfer it to someone else, particularly in cases involving violent crimes or drug trafficking. The bill also would make it a crime to smuggle firearms out of the United States.

Federalizing gun purchases is a dirty can of worms. The penalties are for those who purchase with intent to transfer. How do you prove intent? Guess: federal regulations. And who writes those?

Any gun manufacturer ought to take his business far away from the non thinking Maine Senator, because her stupidity will set in motion gun control based on intent

entagor on April 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM

You are such a freaking idiot, Del Dolemonte.

F-

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Except wiki is not a geography reference. Not even close. You are such a freaking idiot.

West Texas’ Guadalupe Range is in fact a southern geological and topographical extension of the Rocky Mountain Range. And the Rockies continue southward from there, to the Davis Range.

By the way, El Paso, which is in the Mountain Time Zone, mileage-wise is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is to Texas’ own eastern border with Louisiana. Anyone who thinks that part of Texas is “in the south” is the freaking idiot, not me.

F-