Video – a few moments with Sen. Mike Enzi

posted at 2:31 pm on April 13, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

One of the areas which has been identified in recent lists of ways that the GOP can do a better job reaching out to younger, more engaged voters, is opening up through every possible avenue of communication to stay in touch with constituents. When it comes to “tech savvy” people in government, I’ll confess that the first name jumping to mind probably isn’t 69 year old Senator Mike Enzi of Wyoming. But he’s been putting together a series of videos where he reviews feedback from the citizens of his state which comes in through his Twitter and Facebook feeds. This week he had one that touches on a couple of important points which I wanted to share, not only for the content on these issues, but the way he seems to be relating to both supporters and detractors. It’s pretty impressive.

We need your help. When someone says that we need to give up our rights, I hope you’ll stand up and say something. Unless you make your voice heard, people are only going to hear one side of the story. These are your rights, protect them. It’s a constitutional right. In Wyoming, guns are part of our lives. They’re part of growing up, they’re part of a rite of passage.

“One of the things we’ve got to do as a nation and as parents is to make sure our kids understand that they aren’t supposed to kill other people or themselves.

“The urban situation is different than the rural situation and we in Wyoming are rural. We understand guns. We understand there is a responsibility that comes with owning them. We know that it’s our right. It’s our right to defend ourselves. It’s our right to shoot for sport. It’s our right to hunt. But mostly it’s our constitutional right to defend ourselves. I know how strongly people in Wyoming feel about that and I will do everything I can to protect our constitutional rights. There are millions of responsible gun owners and we shouldn’t punish all of them because of the actions of a few criminals.”

If you played it all the way through, you also heard some clarification on the Marketplace Fairness Act, which we’ve written about here before. Enzi is one of the chief sponsors of the bill, and he responds to constituent feedback where a number of common misconceptions are raised.

“This is not a tax on the internet. It’s not a new tax. No one should tax the internet. I oppose government policies that favor some businesses over another and that’s what we’re doing right now. This is a states’ rights bill and it would require the states to act before anything could happen. It also exempts businesses until they have $1 million in online sales.

“Sales tax is the main source of revenue for cities, towns and counties and even the state. It provides the money for roads, police, fire protection. If we don’t collect that revenue, they’ll have to find a new source.”

Enzi isn’t some sort of flashy firecracker member of the upper chamber who I expect to see lighting up the polls and creating buzz for a presidential run. But he is a plain spoken kind of guy who clearly stays in touch with the issues and the voices of those he serves. We could use a bit more of that in Washington and a lot less grandstanding if you ask me. At the very end, he sums up the philosophy of his office in three short sentences.

Do what’s right.
Do what’s best.
Treat others as you’d wish to be treated.

That’s kind of refreshing, isn’t it?

Comments

I still say we should scrap sales tax (along with corporate taxes, property taxes, and tariffs) and just collect income tax for federal, state, and local based on residency.

Count to 10 on April 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don’t into anything about him.

Ways his record? How LNG has he been in Congress? Has he done anything?

Toe, it’s all pablum until they actually do something.

Btw, we HAVE been making ourselves heard. Petitions, phone calls, emails, websites, rallies – in states and in Washington. The people have been vocal and involved since 2009.

Personally, it’s time for those in Washington to put up or shut up.

catmman on April 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Typing on this iPad can be a chore…

catmman on April 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Breaking: Front page Fail.
My bad. Fixed.

Jazz Shaw on April 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I think this is the first time that I’ve seen the front page comment count ahead of the the displayed number of comments.

Count to 10 on April 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Do what’s right.
Do what’s best.
Treat others as you’d wish to be treated.

Well, not quite. What he actually said is even better:

Do what’s right.
Do your best.
Treat others as they wish to be treated.

I love Wyoming – the beauty of the land and her people. I have spent a lot of time in various parts of the state over the years. I don’t live there now, but I will when I retire.

climbnjump on April 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Count to 10 on April 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

People in cash businesses would love you.

IlikedAUH2O on April 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Do what’s right.
Do your best.
Treat others as they wish to be treated

…yep!…he’s not from Michigan!

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My $.02 on Enzi:

I live in Wyoming, as my name gives away. I have family very involved in Wyoming and national politics, so I’ve had the opportunity to meet Mike and Diana Enzi a couple of times; they are GOOD people. They were entrepreneurs in WY with shoe stores, and Mrs. Diana Enzi established a curriculum for entrepreneurs, which she later sold. Mike Enzi has had no trouble getting reelected. He might still be the only accountant in the Senate.

The elephant in the room, however, is the Market Place Fairness Act (and I”m glad it was touched on here) Given the rural nature of Wyoming, we rely on internet shopping for everything from diapers to swimsuits, to shampoo, etc. We see this as a tax increase on all of us, be it fair or not.

But all in all, I think a lot of Senators can look to Enzi, he’s a good man and he represents us well.

Jackalope on April 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I have to lol at the popularity of this thread…Enzi is rather vanilla.

Jackalope on April 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I’m shocked! A Senator actually contacting the people he represents and wanting feedback? Awesome!! The entire Congress could learn from him.

Refreshing indeed and thanks Jazz for this thread.

bluefox on April 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Personally, it’s time for those in Washington to put up or shut up.

catmman on April 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

It sounds like Senator Enzi isn’t one of those trying to destroy the Country and take away our Rights.

You’re correct that we have been doing all you mentioned, calling, etc. The problem is that Congress isn’t listening or responding. I would say we’d be lucky to get a form letter in a reply. However when it’s time for their re-election, they will be all over the T.V. or mailing material asking not only for your vote, but money as well.

bluefox on April 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I’m originally from MT and one reason I stayed in WY after retiring from the military was because of the sales tax as opposed to income tax in MT. Well, that and the idiots keep voting in Dems. I just get sick of the wind and the Greenies. Can’t have everything I guess.

Russ86 on April 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

It’s campaign time for the HA posters again. Allah did his best to take the edge off Hillary, ed pushed pawlenty on us in hopes he would be considered for WH spokesman and now jazz is starting his campaign for Enzi over Liz Cheney.

peacenprosperity on April 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Does he talk about states with no sales tax? We live in MT so that is a sore subject here and one of the reasons we have a dem gov again. Can’t get help or answers from our dem senators, either, just the form email letters. Maybe Enzi could talk to our new R rep, Daines and show him the ropes before he gets liberalized by the rinos. Very refreshing to hear about him.

Kissmygrits on April 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM