The next ban… e-cigarettes

posted at 7:01 pm on April 13, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

As we all know, the government is very interested and actively engaged in stopping people from smoking cigarettes. (Insert pause here.)

Okay… now that I’ve given you all time to stop laughing, we can give a brief nod to the fact that government at all levels in the United States has virtually zero interest in stopping people from smoking. They have a vast, vested interest in looking like they disapprove of smoking, while keeping it legal and taxing the living heck out of it at every level. This leads to all manner of economic and law enforcement problems, but still manages to stack a few extra coins in their coffers and avoids the embarrassing problem of having tens of thousands of additional people suddenly out of work.

But a deal was cut at one point – more on that below – which might allow manufacturers to transition to other tobacco based products which were not smoked, This led to the e-cigarette. (Disclosure: I’ve never tried this product.) But it looks like the government wants to shut this menace down as well.

As the Food and Drug Administration [FDA] is poised to issue new rules governing e-cigarettes, a new study has found some 22 potentially dangerous chemical elements in the vapor given off or inhaled.

These include many metallic particles – including 3 on the FDA’s “harmful and potentially harmful chemicals” list [lead, nickel, and chromium] – with the concentrations of 9 “higher than or equal to the corresponding concentrations in conventional cigarette smoke,” notes public interest law professor John Banzhaf, who has been called “the law professor who masterminded litigation against the tobacco industry.”

That’s bad news for people in the industry who thought that the government would give them a bit of running room to make such a shift, as reported by Forbes.

Several years ago, the federal government entered into a Faustian bargain with the tobacco industry — and the cigarette makers with the government. It was legislation borne of mutual antipathy.

Under the scheme, Washington brought the tobacco industry under the thumb of federal regulation. FDA now oversees everything from the way cigarettes are marketed, to the manner in which they are made. In exchange, the tobacco industry was promised a regulatory track out of their current (declining) business model…

It always seemed a naïve aspiration — that FDA would ever sanction such products – and even more uncertain that the anti-tobacco crowd would let this paradigm advance. Now, each side’s ambitions (and the law’s spirit) are being tested.

In short, the government is looking to ban – or at least heavily restrict – the use of these new e-cigarettes which deliver the drug (nicotine) without all the other harmful trash generally associated with the burning plant fiber bi-products. Social engineers the world over are already on board with this plan, including schemes at the World Health Organization to try to ban – or more likely tax heavily – it at an international level.

I’m sure there is a point to be made about any smokeless tobacco product being sold to children, but what about adults? I suppose the assumption here is that e-cigarettes might just be an unholy plan to addict non-smokers to nicotine and lure them into smoked products, but in the end that just winds up generating more tax revenue. So where is the profit motive for the government in this one?

Have any of you actually tried one of these electronic cigarettes? The practice doesn’t involve spitting like chew or wads in the cheek like other packaged products. Should the government be wading into this?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Conservatives just want to be left alone.

Libs can’t EXIST unless they are empowered such that NO ONE can be left alone.

The greatest threat to government is someone independent of it, who doesn’t NEED it.

wildcat72 on April 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Liberals say cigarettes bad, pot good…

But we’ll raise the money for Obamacare by increasing taxes on smoking…

Skywise on April 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Rush Limbaugh told of a story about how others patrons in a restaurant were offended by Rush using a fake cigar..

Bite your pop-tart into a certain shape…
Suspension..

Cut your paper into a certain shape..
Suspension..

Hold your hand into a certain shape..
Suspension…

Have an app on your smart phone that shows guns…
Kicked out..

What a wuss this Country has become..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

But the morning after pill is perfectly safe for all..
And it takes care of any bi-products..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM

they disapprove of smoking, while keeping it legal and taxing the living heck out of it at ever level

You can take that to the bank. The libs LOVE taxing tobacco. Yet have no problems with the sales of marijuana.

Matter of fact, if legalized, they believe the drug dealers will come in from the shadows, just to pay a special tax on their product.

GarandFan on April 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Do they still make those candy cigarettes?

I want to conduct a study..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Wikipedia Excerpts
E cigs vaporize a solution of propylene glycol (PG) and/or vegetable glycerin (VG) and/or polyethylene glycol 400 (PEG400) mixed with concentrated flavors, and optionally, a variable percent of a liquid nicotine concentrate.
The amount of nicotine contained can be chosen by the user, with some choosing no nicotine at all.

Feds don’t like citizens circumventing their racket.

notalemon on April 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Springfield, Missouri went ahead and banned them along with Cigarettes. Nazis.

Kaptain Amerika on April 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

They don’t really want to shut it down. The preference is to tax them at the same rate as real cigarettes.

Second hand water vapor, anyone?

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I for one havent had a cig in 5 months thanks to ecigs, its just distilled tobacco that is boiled to steam with a flavor added, gives you the hit you need without that tar or other stuff the Nazi Antismoker libs seem to hate and could kill me. And now You can control the dosages and mix your own amounts. Its totally harmless and smells like warm cake..I dont care if that pisses anyone off anymore, Ive tried to be nice by going outside like they want. They bitched enough, so technology made something better. Govt, I guess needs its tax blood money to give to “the children”. One vial lasts me a month at less than 10$ a month versus 2 packs a day at almost 16$. Check out Totally Wicked. Good stuff to quit without the need for weird drugs.

ninjacoastie on April 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

using one right now, dse901.
nicotine helps dull nerve pain for me. but I needed to quit the swisher sweet mini cigars.
so I started using ecig.
now they want me scream in pain even more.
fu**ing asho*es.

dmacleo on April 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Wikipedia Excerpts

Feds don’t like citizens circumventing their racket.

notalemon on April 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I prefer the PG, less “oily” on my throat with more of a “hit” thats simulating real cogars I used to use.
I use chocolate flavor too :)

dmacleo on April 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Have any of you actually tried one of these electronic cigarettes?

Started with an e-cigarette May 29, 2011 after 27 years smoking. I haven’t went back.

Les in NC on April 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I switched to ecigs after Obama banned my smoke of choice, cloves, because flavored tobacco entices children, with the exception of the most popular flavor, menthol, of course.

The government is losing its tax revenue and big tobacco is losing its best customers. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who will be the loser in this situation.

If smoking is so bad, then ban it and quit making a buck off of it while whining about the societal costs.

rw on April 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

But please, legalize weed. Because the draconian regulation that would involve would never, ever lead to black market production.

On the plus side, the ATF can become Alchohol, Weed, Tobacco and Firearms.

TexasDan on April 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I used an e-cig to quit smoking 3 years ago, and back then people were already trying to ban them without knowing anything about them.

E-cigs are far far better for the people using them and far far more pleasant for other people to be around.

This is like the idiots who freak out about radiation without realizing that the amounts they are talking about are lower than background radiation. The amounts of “harmful and potentially harmful chemicals” in e-cig smoke are trace amounts, far below harmful thresholds.

You would think the sort of people who rail against cigarettes “because they kill smokers” would support a product that helps smokers quit using cigarettes without killing them. But no, they have to pretend it kills too so they can rail against it. Makes it pretty obvious they just get their jollies controlling other people’s behavior.

Toastradamus on April 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Do they still make those candy cigarettes?

I want to conduct a study..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Bloomie won’t let you have those. Too much sugar.

Man, I used to love those candy cigarettes as a kid!

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Les in NC on April 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

TAX YOU!

Just think of all the tobacco workers to be put out of a job because of YOU!

(feel guilty yet?) /

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I saw a link on Drudge last week, where some politician put forth the idea to tax e-cigs at the same rate as for real cigarettes. Goes along the same lines as taxing people for using roads (already paid for years ago) because less driving and more fuel-efficient cars are ‘costing’ the state revenue.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

My girl started the E a month ago.
hasn’t smoked a real cig since.

Really happy about it.

bazil9 on April 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

3 years on Ecigs after 30 years on cigaretts.The best way to quit smoking ever invented.Now I cant stand the smell of cigs and feel bad that I made people suffer from my smoking.

docflash on April 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

My girl started the E a month ago.
hasn’t smoked a real cig since.

Really happy about it.

bazil9 on April 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I’m waiting for liberals to say all that second-hand water vapor contributes to global warming.

Don’t think they won’t try it.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Gun Grabbing,and now smoke grabbing,I do wonder what the
next Czar of Ministry Grabbing,will grab next!!

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The FDA reported that it found in samples of e-cigarettes a variety of “toxic and carcinogenic chemicals” including diethylene glycol, “an ingredient used in antifreeze, [which] is toxic to humans”; “certain tobacco-specific nitrosamines which are human carcinogens”; and that “tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans – anabasine, myosmine, and nicotyrine – were detected in a majority of the samples tested.”

What they don’t tell you in that article is that the FDA intentionally skewed the report. They tested several brands of e-cigs, traditional cigarettes and nicotine replacement therapy products. All of the above compounds were also found, sometimes in higher concentrations, in nicotine gums and patches and nicotine inhalers, which are all approved by the FDA – but the FDA failed to mention that fact.

The report, issued in 2009, was widely refuted by the scientific community. Dr. Michael Siegel, with the Boston University of Public Health, has criticized the FDA, WHO and other organizations who are misleading the public on the potential benefits of e-cig use vs. smoking.

Are e-cigarettes completely safe? No. Are they safer than smoking?
There’s no comparison.

BacaDog on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

3 months since I transitioned to e-cig.

Painless, and the health benefits start immediately. Coughs, shortness of breath, etc., disappear within a week or so.

The various flavors, from cappucino to apple are interesting, mild, and fun to mix. Vanilla with coffee and a bit of menthol is very nice.

Clothes don’t smell, no burn holes in things, and the local pub allows ‘vaping’(inhaling the vapor).

Nice with a drink. Very nice.

Find your e-cig overseas and save $60-$100 on the same name brand.

I expect to be bored with this within a year or so, and have it end up in a drawer as I continue my life smoke-free.

But, for now, it’s the greatest stop-smoking aid ever!

heldmyw on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

NOTHING shocks me anymore.

bazil9 on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Gun Grabbing,and now smoke grabbing,I do wonder what the
next Czar of Ministry Grabbing,will grab next!!

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

NOTHING shocks me anymore.

bazil9 on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

In total agreement; +1000

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The risk from cigs, or any other carcinogen, comes from the constant exposure. Cigars and pipes, smoked only occasionally, did not cause nearly the amount of cancer that the advent of the conveniently smoked cigarette did.

E-cigs do not give constant exposure to anything as they are not used constantly. They are nothing more than water based nicotine supplement inhalers. Do they have chemicals solvents? Sure but so do asthma inhalers.
This is a classic dihydrogen monoxide moment. An attempt to scaremonger without real data in order to gain power.

xuyee on April 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I started with them 2years ago, but still haven’t totally quit the actual tobacco.
They DO come in handy for long workdays, road trips, etc.
Have maintained the autoship (6months) in order to maintain the warranty on the batteries AND for just such occasions as these.
Helps me not panic too much, too, knowing I have a stash for whatever these idiots throw our way.

Get out of my life !!!!! (gubmint)

pambi on April 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Ace turned me on to Totally Wicked E-Cigs last fall when he did a write-up on them after the election (when everyone was sick and tired of politics.) I haven’t had a regular cigarette since, and no one is more surprised than I am.

They work. You can choose regular, menthol or flavored varieties, and they come in different nicotine strengths too. The web site is a bit confusing, so easiest way to start is to call them, tell them what brand you smoke and how much. They’ll set you up with the appropriate flavor/strength.

Right now I’ve started mixing my own and I am very, very gradually reducing the amount of nicotine in the hope that someday I’ll be off these too. In the meantime, I’m saving hundreds of dollars and I feel great! No more stench, no more smokers cough, and no more going out on the porch for a smoke. I’m a happy camper. For now, anyway.

IrishEi on April 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

xuyee on April 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

And taxes. Gotta have the taxes, to be sure everyone is safe.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Just leave me the f@ck alone.
The party of free love, tolerance, and cool needs to be burned to the ground.

RovesChins on April 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

…I guess I can’t call for… the “_anging” of all these _ucking politicians?

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yes I have…six months now using an e-cig and I feel 1000% better. Despite the significant harm-reduction e-cigs seem to promise, I figured Gov’t would ban them eventually. The FDA very nearly did 2 years ago and got turned back.

One other big money player in the game who wants to see e-cigs banished is the Pharma industry. They’ve got a huge FDA blessed racket going with their mostly ineffective (and in many cases harmful) smoking cessation products and drugs (such as the very iffy Chantix). In fact, Chantix is already linked to suicides and one of it’s documented side effects is ‘suicidal thoughts’. No matter…it’s ‘FDA approved’.

AUINSC on April 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Obama is floating a proposal to increase the federal tax on smokes by $.94/pack to pay for pre-K schooling or something similar.

They can’t have smokers going Galt.

rw on April 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Gun Grabbing,and now smoke grabbing,I do wonder what the
next Czar of Ministry Grabbing,will grab next!!

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

…they’re probably trying to figure out …how to tax farts !

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

…I guess I can’t call for… the “_anging” of all these _ucking politicians?

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Nope.

But, for fun, let’s lock them in a concrete room with no windows, and make them breathe the smoke from fifty guys who smoke those crooked wine-dipped Italian cigars I used to enjoy years ago.

After about 12 hours of that, we ask, “What were you saying about taxing an E-cig?”

Who says revenge can’t include a demented sense of humor? LOL

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM

…they’re probably trying to figure out …how to tax farts !

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Give it time…

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM

GarandFan on April 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This.

The left is schizophrenic when it comes to smoking. If it scrambles your lungs alone (cigarettes), that’s bad. But if it scrambles your mind too (marijuana), that’s good. Money going to an evil, made-in-America company? Bad. Money going to support a Mexican drug cartel? Good!

Stoic Patriot on April 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

AUINSC on April 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

This. And all their crap just doesn’t work. Over the years I’ve tried SmokeEnders, One-Step-at-a-Time, acupuncture, hypnosis, patches, gum, lozenges and Chantix (the worst) and nothing worked for more than a few days. I didn’t have the mood issues with Chantix, but it made me sick to my stomach. Intolerable. E-cigs are a Godsend for me.

IrishEi on April 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Have an app on your smart phone that shows guns…
Kicked out..

What a wuss this Country has become..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Well I guess I’m scrood then cause this is one of the background pics on my phone.

***********************************

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I stopped smoking long before ecigs came out but my wife smokes them
and she hasn’t smoked an analog (tobacco cigarette) in months. I mix her 50%PG 50%VG with some FOOD flavorings. Seems to me it’s less dangerous than smoking tobacco.

The Feds are hard pressed to find something they will not tax.

Zooid on April 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Give it time…

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM

An implant can send the appropriate information back to Fart Control..

And this Country will comply with the implants at birth..

And there will be Obama…ex-presidente..
Promoting this…plan..

“It deserves a vote”

Shitte like that..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

***********************************

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Just be careful who you show this to..

As we have seen lately..

You are a criminal..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I guess it was an ecig that some fat woman was puffing on in the gas station. It lighted up and spewed mist that nobody wanted to get near. Most obnoxious thing ever. I’d rather she smoked a real cigarette. At least she would be removed from the population faster. And she was proudly sucking on it for all it’s worth.

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Where is nopartisian to tell us how it is an realville?

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

It’s vapor. Water vapor. The same obnoxious mist that is stage smoke.

BacaDog on April 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Obama sucks.

Key West Reader on April 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

cripe…

cmsinaz on April 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

i’m surprised that just don’t tax the crap out of like the real ones in his budget…

cmsinaz on April 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Where is nopartisian …?

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

…playing with his foreskin

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I’m waiting for the E doobie to come out.

mike_NC9 on April 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Obama gonna tax vapor.

Uh huh

And idjits are going to let him do it.

Key West Reader on April 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

playing with his foreskin

KOOLAID2 on April 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You speak truth…..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM

And idjits are going to let him do it.

Key West Reader on April 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

oh yeah

cmsinaz on April 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Have they banned the hookah/shisha/nargila smoking in the Middle Eastern and N African bars here, in the US?

jimver on April 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Are e-cigarettes completely safe? No. Are they safer than smoking?
There’s no comparison.

BacaDog on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Exactly…and those rigged ‘studies’ they performed remind one a lot of the way the EPA (and ‘Environmental Movement’) operates.

AUINSC on April 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Where is nopartisian to tell us how it is an realville?

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

And how would he/she know? :)

jimver on April 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Oh, the horror! Mist…mist that NOBODY wanted to be near…and she was FAT! If only she would die!

Sounds like you’re pretty cool with the ban then.

AUINSC on April 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

bazil9 on April 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I started eMunching eCarpets. Further research is needed.

SparkPlug on April 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

An implant can send the appropriate information back to Fart Control..

And this Country will comply with the implants at birth..

And there will be Obama…ex-presidente..
Promoting this…plan..

“It deserves a vote”

Shitte like that..

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

A cork in the bung is cheaper.

But it gets a little more expensive with liberals, because we have to plug both ends. :-)

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Where is nopartisian to tell us how it is an realville?

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

NP would only come in to argue.

If every Conservative agreed to ban smoking like liberals demand, NP would argue WE are trying to eliminate liberty. Liberals, though and on the other hand, are only looking out for everyone’s better health.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Liam:Lol,true dat:)

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

They want to keep people smoking real cigs. That’s the reason they are going after them. Plain and simple.

Whenever someone pops up somewhere and they are having fun it doesn’t matter what it is.. politicians will attack it, tax it, regulate it or ban it. If tomorrow carrying a stone in your pocket became a fad… they would find a way to tax stones in your pocket. A government study will be conducted on how stones in pockets affect your health and it will be determined carrying them causes people to walk lopsided.. putting too much pressure on the spine and restricting blood circulation in the arteries. Somebody somewhere will die while carrying stones. And that is all we’ll hear about for weeks. Stones in pockets cause people to die. Stones in pockets are causing people to be distracted while they cross the street. Stones in pockets are causing traffic accidents. Kids are eating stones found in the pockets of their parents pants. Something must be done. Congress needs to act. Laws will be proposed. Taxes implemented. Fines and penalties for carrying too many of them or carrying them in government buildings.

And then one day when people stop carrying stones because they just don’t care anymore or it’s not worth the hassle…. congress will mandate people carry stones in their pockets.

JellyToast on April 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Liam:Lol,true dat:)

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

There’s a new conundrum running about, too.

Is it really smoking in the workplace if an employee starts up an E-cig?

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

There is no limit to liberal sharia.

Marxism and Mohammedianism are ideological TWINS.

tom daschle concerned on April 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

JellyToast on April 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

True. And to tax E-cigs at the rate of real tobacco.

Yup. They care for our health, all right!

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

There is no limit to liberal sharia.

Marxism and Mohammedianism are ideological TWINS.

tom daschle concerned on April 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

And they’re both bastard children of the devil.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

They can’t have smokers going Galt.

rw on April 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

It’s really a free-daycare program for his base.

slickwillie2001 on April 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It’s not even smoke. It’s water vapor.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Liam:Speaking of Cigarettes and Water-Vapour:)
================================================

The Boats

Why own a boat when you can own a LEGEND?

Cigarette powerboats are designed by artisans, craftsman and engineers, working hand-in-hand. The current Cigarette lineup not only shows dramatic technical advancements, but also addresses the diverse customer needs that are not served by mass production boat builders. Cigarette has studied the interaction between human and machine, and the emotions generated. Technology is appreciated best when it relates to real physiological or emotional needs, like wonder and adventure.
==========================

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I’ve been using e-cigarettes and have been cigarette free for just over a year now. I was a 1.5 pack a day smoker for over 35 years. I’ve tried quitting many times over the years but was always unsuccessful until I found e-cigs.

We in the community feared this day’s arrival but knew it would eventually come. Nanny Government butting in to ruin the only salvation many of us have ever found.

Hopefully I can stock up on enough supplies to last long enough for me to ween myself down to zero nicotine.

Oxymoron on April 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I vape an epipe from time to time.

Yu don’t even have to have nicotine in the ‘juice’, just flavor if you want.

It’s harmless.

I also enjoy how the “potential” dangers are being hyped. There is no real danger so they must regulate the “potential” danger.

And it’s not distilled tobacco. Tobacco has nothing to do with vaporizers. It’s pg/vg and flavoring plus nicotine – if you want.

If you buy a good vaporizer, with enough juice (or make your own) the initial investment can be very minimal but the long term savings and benefits are incredible.

The whole story belies the lie about true intentions: health has nothing to do with it.

The Left is simply interested in control.

Period.

catmman on April 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Oxymoron on April 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I’m a long-time smoker, too. I can’t get E-cigs, and would try them if I could though I consider myself a ‘lost cause’.

Truly hope you succeed in quitting! Too bad politicians will try taxing you to death for it.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Have we stopped subsidizing tobacco crops yet?

Count to 10 on April 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

The Left is simply interested in control.

Period.

catmman on April 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

And their prime vehicle for that is taxes. If not for taxes, no one would ever be safe!

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

There’s a new conundrum running about, too.

Is it really smoking in the workplace if an employee starts up an E-cig?

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Liam:

Helluva good point,I think the EPA needs to be involved,
with a really long duration,and expensive Environmental
Impact Studies to hammer,er,smoke that out!(Sarc,ahem)—:)

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Have we stopped subsidizing tobacco crops yet?

Count to 10 on April 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hell no!

Wait till marijuana becomes a profitable legal cash crop, though…

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Heh, you think that picture is damning. Here’s my email signature file.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

μολὼν λαβέ

I regularly send emails to all my elected representatives including my two libtard Senators. One good thing about getting older is that you are no longer concerned much about offending anyone and it is no longer required that you exhibit even a miniscule amount of PC. Of course that was a very small transition for me anyway.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Helluva good point,I think the EPA needs to be involved,
with a really long duration,and expensive Environmental
Impact Studies to hammer,er,smoke that out!(Sarc,ahem)—:)

canopfor on April 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

*snicker*

Nice touch there!

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

And my last post was in reply to

Electrongod on April 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

One of the bad things about getting older is those damned senior moments when you forget the simplest things.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Hell no!

Wait till marijuana becomes a profitable legal cash crop, though…

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yep, and if the Repubs in congress had any common sense they’d immediately start a campaign to slap a $10 per pack tax on MJ cigs….”For the children”…of course.

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

On the plus side, the ATF can become Alchohol, Weed, Tobacco and Firearms.

TexasDan on April 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

So this would be A WTF Bureau?

Vince on April 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Oldnuke on April 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Liberals would never go for that, calling it ‘druggist’ — a new form of discrimination.

But when a Dem state slaps on a $12 tax, it’s all good.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

So this would be A WTF Bureau?

Vince on April 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Okay…

I call Thread Winner!

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Love my e-cig for 2 years now! Wonderful being able to “smoke” again in movie theaters, restaurants, and on airplanes. For some reason, though, during vacations in Vegas I still prefer old fashioned stinky cigarettes.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

JellyToast on April 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Omg, laughing hard here :) though I don’t know why, cuz your scenario has nothing implausible about it.. sadly….

jimver on April 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

How is possible that ecigs give off those chemicals? They don’t even exist in the eliquid at all. This is all made up.

Kanyin on April 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Kanyin on April 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

For purposes of later taxation.

Liam on April 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I remember taking my ecigg to a Texas Ranger baseball game, ONCE.
Started puffing it before the game even started, but the usher came by and very nicely told me that they won’t allow them ‘in the seating bowl’ because others will get the idea they can use real ones, and feel free to light up.
They’d also decided on that policy because of influencing the many youngins nearby.
So, like Rush, I was confronted.
Their excuses seemed plausible enough for me, tho, so I’d use it in the restroom, which actually is a better idea than wasting 5+ mins in the smoking section, when all your body wanted was a coupla hits, anyway.
Sigh.

pambi on April 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Kanyin on April 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

How is it possible that so-called scientists sign off on such bogus studies…what a laughing stock the ‘scientific’ community has become…they’d put their names on any piece of garbage study providing the govt grants keep flowing ..what a sham…

jimver on April 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I smoke e-cigarettes (these). When you switch from cigarettes to e-cigarettes, it takes about 3 days for it to become incredibly obvious how much better they are for you than regular smokes.

That said, they are not as good for you as not smoking at all. But if you, like me, are going to smoke until you die, these are the things for you. No more coughing. No more running out of breath.

Also, it is a HELL of a lot cheaper. It runs from $30-$50/month to smoke ~ the nicotine equivalent of a pack of Marlboro a day.

Kevin M on April 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I smoke e-cigarettes (these).
Kevin M on April 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

That’s my model too. ;-)

IrishEi on April 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Kevin M on April 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I don’t know … I used to be a 4 pack a day smoker – camels and, later, marlboros. The only times I coughed (and I did used to cough a lot) was when I smoked weed. If I stopped smoking weed, I stopped coughing.

Now, I smoke a half pack a day of cigarettes (I’m not really much of a smoker any more) and I stopped smoking weed some time ago. I haven’t coughed since I stopped the weed. Not one little bit.

It’s funny how they are trying to jump all over cigarette smokers but, at the same time, these leftist idiots are promoting smoking weed – whose smoke is so much harsher than tobacco smoke that it really is something extraordinary. Smoke from weed is tons worse than cigarette smoke.

The fact is that the leftist don’t give a rat’s azz about cigarette smoke, they just hate cigarette smokers. It’s the old weed vs. cigs junk from the idiots in the 60s who hated cigarettes since they represented their fathers – and all leftists have a burning hate for their fathers. The fact that these slimeballs are trying to ban smokeless e-cigs just shows that it’s cigarette smokers they are after, not cigarette smoke.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It is a water vapor. This BS about chemicals in the air and being dangerous is crap. Many of the chemicals and metals the EPA claims are dangerous are already in the air in trace amounts and more than likely they are testing the devices in the open air while blowing the vapor over their sensors. Its crap science.
E-Cigs are safer than cooking with teflon based on their BS. E-cigs should actually be a safer alternative and part of any smoking cessation program due to the ability to lessen the amount of nicotine over time. It also satisfies the oral fixation most smokers have or have acquired due to their smoking habits.

This is just BS because they are losing significant revenue to a new alternative.

theguardianii on April 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Sounds like you’re pretty cool with the ban then.

AUINSC on April 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The way she was fondling that thing, people would have paid a hot woman to do it. As it was, it was just gross.

And who cares if it is mist or not? It’s still some unnecessary BS excreted by a human that you don’t want any part of. Farts are made smelly only because of sulfur containing gases. They are harmless. Yet I don’t want to stand next to gassy people either. Go spray your mist is private before I go around spritzing ecig users and telling them it aids in soothing my dislike of them. Now it might be that this one was made to be more obnoxious than others. It annoyed everyone. I haven’t noticed one since. But it was like the cigarette equivalent of the South Park biker episode where the bikers started making motor noises with their mouths because they weren’t getting enough attention.

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

You’re an idiot. You’re complaining about water vapor. I guess you have problems with people exhaling, generally.

You people are totally nuts.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

You people are totally nuts.

I think anyone who needs to spew water vapor for the hell of it in public is an idiot.

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

MechanicalBill on April 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

If nothing else that woman needs a better brand !!
Have been around many eciggs and none have been offensive as you make hers sound.
Methinks you’re pretty jaded about the subject, regardless.
Chill.