Gun manufacturer decides to flee Connecticut; Rick Perry issues an open invitation

posted at 5:31 pm on April 13, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Last week, Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy signed into law what advocacy groups are heralding as the strictest gun limits in the nation, including measures that expand the state’s list of banned ‘assault’ weapons and restrict magazine capacities to ten rounds — and it didn’t take long for one of Connecticut’s gun manufacturers to follow suit on a phenomenon that’s already started in other states.

A manufacturer of military-style rifles says it is leaving Connecticut and is encouraging other companies to do the same after last week’s signing of sweeping gun legislation.

PTR Industries of Bristol said the bill approved by the General Assembly was “fraught with ambiguous definitions, insufficient considerations for the trade, conflicting mandates and disastrous consequences for the fundamental rights of the people of Connecticut.”

In a statement, the company said it hopes to pick a site by summer and move by the end of the year. …

John McNamara, vice president of sales, said PTR Industries has 42 employees. “Indirectly, we employ 15 to 20 local vendors at any given time who have up to 15 to 30 employees each,” he told CNN on Wednesday.

Nor did it take long for Texas Gov. Rick Perry to seize the dangling opportunity to attract jobs and businesses to the Lone Star State:

Gov. Rick Perry on Friday invited a gun manufacturer that has announced its intention to leave Connecticut to set up shop in Texas. …

“Hey PTR…Texas is still wide open for business…come on down!,” the tweet read.

Perry told MyFoxAustin.com he hopes to encourage gun manufacturers affected by gun restrictions in other states to relocate.

“There is still a place where freedom is very much alive and well — freedom from over-taxation, freedom from over-regulation, freedom from over-litigation…and that place is called Texas,” Perry told the station.

Sure, this might only be one company and a handful of jobs, and hey, perhaps Connecticut just doesn’t really care about keeping the gun industry around, if their new law is any indication. Guns might seem like an economically niche issue, except that this is part of a much larger trend of residents and businesses relocating from longstanding blue-state urban hubs to less restrictive, less regulatory, and less tax-intensive red-states and their growing cities. Blue states better start looking at everything those red states are doing right, ’cause they’re quickly losing the competitive edge.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There is also an open offer from my home state of Maine by the current Governor.

mouell on April 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM

And lol again. I’m sure you know all about the GTR and its short comings. You probably drive one all the time. Or, you did. Until you realized how “top heavy” it was. LOL. Btw the concept is “unparalleled performance”. Something they achieved, by the way. Considering how it owns the crap out of the Italian exotics you were praising in an earlier post. For a quarter the price. Sure, its ugly. But it can afford to be when it delivers results like that.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

GTR? No, I don’t drive one. People who do are speaking. Like, every time I turn around, there is one for sale. Check your mom’s purse, you can get one. It is a kid’s car and kid’s tire of their toys and responsibilities fast.

So with you it is performance then depreciation then attacks on buyers of items then a whack at a whole section of the USA. Real problems in English and logic, huh?

Back to the GTR, How about depreciation, sport?

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Because Benz and BMW and Audi don’t use as big of engines that get as poor as mileage as your POS Guvmotors Cadillac. Oh wait, they do.

Your comments on Lexus couldnt BE stupider. The only reason you would buy a Euro car over one is BECAUSE you are fixated on trying to look respectable. And because you lack taste. ESPECIALLY if you are buying a Mercedes. You’ve just summarized the Mercedes buyer perfectly.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

If they can wade through your failed grammar, about a dozen people on both coasts are laughing about those comments.

Lexus even calls itself 1)the new “Buick”, 2) the poor person’s Mercedes, 3) the car for people who want to be No.1 — not to say they are there.

Nothing wrong with that but you really should read more.

Hollywood people like the Anger Management cast (and they are far from alone) want to look respectable in Mercedes, huh?

Aside from your automotive expertise and logic that leaks like a bucket without a bottom, Your point is really lost. You see, none of this is remotely related to gun manufacturing or your attacks on the South, This is a thread, son, just to let you know.

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

ESPECIALLY if you are buying a Mercedes. You’ve just summarized the Mercedes buyer perfectly. Still not as nouveau riche trash as the Cadillac buyer, though.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Two things. First, some UAW brothers from down south would love to talk to you about quality.

Second, no lowlife’s like Lexus?

They also reveal that this brazen fraud extended to the Department of the Army, where a corrupt public official exchanged contracts for cash, gambling in Las Vegas, and a $70,000 Lexus.

Source: http://chantilly.patch.com/articles/fbi-chantilly-company-pleads-guilty-to-bribing-government-officials-for-contracts?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas!”.
Davy Crockett

Pole-Cat on April 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Just go away…

I’ve lived in 24 states in my lifetime d/t father’s profession and then my husband’s……..all OVER this United States.

I prefer the South. Found too many of Northerners like you: mouthy, prejudiced, and totally ignorant of anything out of their small sphere, which they’ve never been out of. (You wouldn’t believe the ignorant questions I got asked about Texas when I was a kid.)
But, that didn’t keep their mouths shut from spitting out garbage such as you’ve posted here on this site.

Even as a kid, I noticed the difference and when we finally had the last glimpse of wherever we were leaving in our rear view mirror, I couldn’t WAIT to get back to the common sense and decency, hospitality, and every day intelligence of the South and Southwestern states.

avagreen on April 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Speaking of which, why don’t you try to explain why the Germans and Japanese build their North American market JUNK: Accords, Camrys….
Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

BTW, I’m on my second “used” Camry since 1997 as the first one which I bought “used” in 1997 finally got traded in as it reached 325,000 miles back in 2007. Still going strong, but I knew that eventually it would begin giving me problems as I was traveling 100mi round trip daily.

Some “piece of junk”. Neither have ever had to be in the garage for repairs. Fool.

avagreen on April 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Obama’s second term is about dividing America… NOT news… it just is.

RalphyBoy on April 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

leaving (insert N State here) in our rear view mirror,

I’ve heard this more than once. I stayed in NJ too long… My daughter was raised here and is raising my g’kids here or I’d move. In fact I almost did 10 years ago… Hell, NJ is a pit, as is the E half of Pa.

If I wasn’t lucky enough to have good family around me I’d have left before I married. Now, all I can hope for is that the place I bought to retire to really is as off the map as it seems.

RalphyBoy on April 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Daikokuco on April 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I’d hate to hear what you think of minorities.

IlikedAUH2O on April 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM

He’s doin his best Archie Bunker without the racists parts… but you know he has them in trump.

RalphyBoy on April 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

IlikedAUH2O on April 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

What a loser. I like how it takes you 3 posts over the course of an hour to respond to a single comment. LOL!

No, no they don’t. Go ahead and link a single press release or advertisement from Toyota/Lexus where they SAY anything of the sort, you dishonest moron.

You are a fool and a joke, and it couldn’t be more clear that you don’t know the FIRST thing about cars. Hell, you are a UAW Gubmint Motors shill, that by itself says everything.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Just go away…

That certainly is a long career as a parasite dependent. Nice job living of being a strong self-sufficient individual and pursuing a career and life of your own and all that. Why is it any surprise that such a person would find solace in the South. A place where being a burden is commended.

I’m not from the North. You want to hear ignorant slack jawed morons who have never been outside their small sphere, listen to Southerners and their assumptions about Hawaii! LOL!

avagreen on April 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yeah, that South, with such common sense, decency, and intelligence. That’s why Southern states have the most property crime, violent crime, welfare dependence, lowest standardized test scores, highest teen pregnancy rates, and lowest per capita incomes. Because they are just so darn sensible, decent, and intelligent.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

You’re still a bigot.

A lot of the subcontracting for work done outside the Sikorsky plant is done in Huntsville by my company SES-I. The aircraft are flown to our plant and we complete the aircraft there. Hughes and Boeing Vertol too. Talking rude doesn’t make you look smart.

Moron.

hawkdriver on April 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Since you lack reading comprehension skills, I will say again that Mercedes sells a lot of cars at higher prices than the other brands you seem to be mentioning. I may not agree that they are a good buy but they are recognized as top dog, even in Germany.

IlikedAUH2O on April 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Lol. You clearly don’t know the first thing about cars or the automotive industry.

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Not good with numbers are you? Washington or the media probably has a great job waiting and you can use these posts to prove you are completely bereft of math skills. For some time I thought you were from Eastern Europe, now I see you are a NEA product from our rotten school system. Nobody in the world has the bad math and logic I see in you guys! You are number 1! (Look that up.)

Please don’t look up the engine size of Cadillacs between 2006 and 2011. I think their smallest power plant was a 3.6. Most were 4 plus or 6.5 liters.

And don’t look at the back of about 96% of the Audis where it says 1.8 and 2.0. And BMW says 325 or 330…maybe even 3.5 if you want to pay through the nose. That is 2.5 liters, son. They use 2.0 to avoid Americans realizing that they have all of 120 or so cubic inches.

Oh wait, they do.

Your English is also a good indication of the US school system.

Logic?

Benz has larger engines, of course, sell tons of cars at higher prices than the BMWs and Audis and are pretty well accepted as better vehicles all around if you want to spend the money.

Never been to Germany, eh sport?

IlikedAUH2O on April 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

In simple words for you:

3.6 and 4 + and 6.5 are bigger numbers and bigger engine displacements than 2.0…understand, yet?

The Lexus comments I made on market position were what they tell their sales people. You, know, the orders they get from the Toyota people you snub who own them.

And even PR articles and tests talk of Lexus “chasing” Mercedes and BMW. That generally means you are behind.

IlikedAUH2O on April 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Daikokuco on April 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Heh! Is this^^^ the best you’ve got?

Hard to believe that there are actual living, breathing Americans that walk upright who think that children/wives/mothers are ??”parasites”??
Worker’s Republic of Hawaii?

You have no idea of what I’ve done as an adult, but on that subject: You’ll have to forgive me for thinking you were from the North. All you’ve done is proven to the whole wide-world that there are also ignorant, know-nothing, poorly educated, chauvinistic bigots that live in Hawaii (as well as in the northern hemisphere of the U.S.), where the COL is astronomical

Hawaii, where…. SPAM ….is the favorite food (yuk!), gas is taxed at about $0.70 a gal and you can’t own land, where a highway costs $80 million a mile and almost 40 years to build,….. the land where the high cost of everyday items is due to the fact that everything has to be shipped in and you pray the shipments never stop arriving.

I hear gas costs $.80 more than the mainland, food is 175% what you pay, and where the tax structure and regulation structure is outrageous, which harms the lower- and middle-classes the hardest. Where it does nothing but rain most of the time and a number of residents there don’t take kindly to the “Haole” (amply proven by your hate-filled rhetoric on this forum). http://voices.yahoo.com/racism-paradise-why-did-three-native-hawaiians-274874.html

And, supposedly that’s “where the communist-in-chief was born and they worship him there”…… (another yuk!)

Yeah, I wanna be in Hawaii.

If you’re proof of what’s over there, I’ll just stay here, thank you.

avagreen on April 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM