Serious: K-Mart’s ‘Ship My Pants’ ad

posted at 6:41 pm on April 12, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

I felt like we might need a palate cleanser, and I have chosen a poop joke. I have a feeling this thing is going viral pretty quickly, as I’ve seen it pop up in my Facebook feed a couple times just today. It’s kinda nice to see a down-on-its-luck retailer make an ad that might earn it a second look. For those who doubt the efficacy of a viral ad campaign, check out the stats on those Isaiah Mustafa Old Spice commercials— 1.4 billion impressions of the campaign translated into a 55 percent sales increase over three months in 2010.

Granted, this one has fewer opportunities for reinterpretation and interaction, but don’t discount the possibility of modern America gleefully YouTubing clips about all the things it can “ship.”

The good news is, K-Mart did not make a list this week of five retailers likely to disappear in the next five years. Those were J.C. Penney, Staples, Sears, Radio Shack, and Barnes & Noble. The bad news is K-Mart is actually part of the same company as Sears, so maybe it did make the list.

Let’s commence to bailing out, people! I’m sure we can muster enough nostalgia for the Sears portrait studio (ironic portraits, anyone?) and remote control cars from Radio Shack to cobble mere billions together from taxpayers. In seriousness, though I do not wish these retailers bailouts, I wish them good luck and savvy and the possibility of reinvention the free market always offers.

Comments

If you see Kay, tell her where the fox hat…

Wyznowski on April 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Been a while since I laughed out loud like that. Thanks, MKH :)

Mr. Prodigy on April 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

K-Mart……………..very 1980.

PappyD61 on April 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Radio Shack has no real reason to exist anymore. They’re just another cell-phone store.

I bought a laser level from sears just before I left California. I figured I’d need it moving in for installing stuff. When i got to Texas and tried to use it, it didn’t work. I took it to the local Sears down here. Handed the box to the clerk. I’d lost the receipt moving. I figured I was scroomed. The clerk says, “I’ll get you another.” I figured I’d better come clean about the receipt. The clerk says, “I don’t care. I hate this place. Screw them.”

Sears is doomed.

The other three, I haven’t been in them in years.

trigon on April 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Now THIS is a palate cleanser.

Hijacked Margaret Thatcher death song Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead is set to top the charts.

PappyD61 on April 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM

That’s some funny ship right there.

ronsfi on April 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM

check out the stats on those Isaiah Mustafa Old Spice commercials

You forget that this Old Spice viral campaign was preceded by heavy broadcast and canle television and supported by big price-off and in-store promotions.

bgoldman on April 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That’s some funny ship right there.

ronsfi on April 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I know a little about a lot of ships, and you are right!

SailorMark on April 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Dang it! The song, Good Ship Lollipop will never sound the same again…good thing it’s not the 1940′s.

Weight of Glory on April 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Ship of fools.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Great ad.

changer1701 on April 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I can’t even think of a reason why anyone would shop at K-Mart.

Pork-Chop on April 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

trigon on April 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yup, but back in the day it was a great resource for electronics buffs.

They lost that focus and then they started doing goofy stuff like this.

whatcat on April 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Kmart is owned by Sears. Their websites are pretty much identical.

If they add $10 in points to my account, I will definitely buy a bluray that is $4 less than amazon after discount. Aside from taking advantage of 60+% discounts, I seldom have a reason to shop at either store.

rw on April 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Loved it. LOL

dddave on April 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

When I was in college.. back in the early 80”s I read a list of business’s that were about to go under. I remember Sears and Penny’s were on the list. They’re still here.

JellyToast on April 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The ad is childish. The joke became old before 10 seconds was over.

Let’s commence to bailing out, people!

Remember, some years ago, K-Mart stuck by spokesman Rosie O’Donnell despite conservative complaints.

itsnotaboutme on April 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

J.C. Penney, Staples, Sears, Radio Shack, and Barnes & Noble

These are all companies that were innovators within their various markets. They turned stale or technology ran them over (ironic in the case of Radio Shack).

The one exception I would suggest is that Staples is more a victim of bad management decisions more than anything else. They’ve lost the office supply wars. If they succomb it is more akin to the final scene of Highlander than anything else because they took out plenty of their competition before reaching this point.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

itsnotaboutme on April 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

And where else is Jackie Smith going to peddle her low-end banal household products?

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

That was a great laugh!!!

Reminds of a oldie but goodie: Make 7 Up Yours!

ayrab on April 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

JellyToast on April 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I was back in college in the early 80s too. The reasons they are on the list now is far different than why they were on the lists back then. Wal-mart and the warehouse stores that came into the fore in the 1990s really knocked the legs out under businesses that were the low cost retailers of the past. The internet shold have been the coup de gras.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Dammit,
JC Penny’s makes the best undershirt on the market.
Now I am going to have to start hoarding, thanks for the crappy economy Obama.

notalemon on April 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Reminds me of third grade. Hold your tongue and say “Pirate ship!”

Sheesh Idiocracy here we come.

Maybe Penny’s can figure out a commercial for “Say “I” and then spell “cup!”

Or maybe Wal-mart can riff on “rubber balls and liquor.” That’s bound to go viral these days.

Free Indeed on April 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Billy’s mom, there? She could totally ship my pants any time.

Nom nom nom nom nom.

Lickmuffin on April 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM

The Kmart in my town is actually pretty nice. It’s big and well-lit. It’s just less hassle in there than in our Wal-Mart.

SouthernGent on April 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM

itsnotaboutme on April 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

And JCPenny joined the “ban Rush” rush — along with that mattress company that used to advertise on Limbaugh’s show.

Now, I don’t agree with half of what Rush says, but when someone toes the line on a liberal boycott, I do a boycott myself. I haven’t been in a JCP in over a year, and I will never go back.

I suspect that’s where a considerable amount of JCPenny’s sales went.

unclesmrgol on April 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The new JC Penny layout & in their store is lame. There is NOTHING in the store. IT’s half empty. I don’t go there at all anymore EXCEPT it seems it is the only place I can find that sells over the calf Gold Toe socks hubby likes.
But I could prolly find them on the Internet.

Badger40 on April 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

The original micro brewery in town closed after being over run by some of the new boys even tho everyone liked the beer. The new brewers were just as good or better. Competition did them in. Too bad about the Shack, their clerks know the inventory and are actually helpful.

Kissmygrits on April 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The ad is childish. The joke became old before 10 seconds was over.

Oh lighten up. Sometimes you just need to laugh at childish stupid humor.

tyketto on April 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Oh lighten up. Sometimes you just need to laugh at childish stupid humor.

tyketto on April 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Maybe. Until your kid says it at grade school.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

KMART proves it’s redneck.

balkanmom on April 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Maybe. Until your kid says it at grade school.

hawkdriver on April 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

And becomes – for just a moment – king of the potty humor and the most popular kid in the 4th grade. ;)

GWB on April 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Kmart is pretty bottom of the barrel. The parking lot is Always empty, except in my small-town wyoming where there is no Target, no Walmart, no Sears, no big-box except Kmart. So I go there when I need a new wastebasket or some household cleaners etc.

THis commercial was funny. Kmart still sucks.

Jackalope on April 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I asked my pal, Raymond about this and here’s what he said:

princetrumpet on April 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM