Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on April 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) tonight posted the bill text of The Public Safety And Second Amendment Rights Protection Act that he and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) introduced yesterday…

Purpose: To protect Second Amendment rights, ensure that all individuals who should be prohibited from buying a firearm are listed in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and provide a responsible and consistent background check process.

***

The underlying bill that will be considered by the Senate is S. 649, the so-called “Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013”. This bill would criminalize the private transfer of firearms by law-abiding citizens, requiring friends, neighbors and many family members to get government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution. It is expected that a number of amendments will be offered to S. 649, including a ban on commonly and lawfully-owned firearms and magazines and language to criminalize the private transfer of firearms through an expansion of background checks. This includes the misguided “compromise” proposal drafted by Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Pat Toomey (R-PA) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY).

NRA’s position on these proposals is unmistakably clear—we are unequivocally opposed to S. 649, the amendments mentioned above, and any other anti-gun amendments. As we have noted previously, expanding background checks at gun shows or elsewhere will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools. Given the importance of these issues, votes on all anti-gun amendments or proposals will be considered in NRA’s future candidate evaluations.

***

The White House says Thursday’s motion to proceed on gun violence legislation in the Senate is all evidence needed that President Obama’s strategy of consistently engaging the American people on gun control after Newtown has worked

“The president has no doubt whatsoever that the voices of the Newtown families and the voices of Americans across the country that were raised this week as part of an effort to urge the Senate to move forward and not block procedurally progress on this legislation had a positive effect,” he said. “This is an important milestone. but it is an early milestone. And there is no question that challenges will continue to be placed in the way of making progress on passing common sense legislation to reduce gun violence. But we are obviously very pleased with today’s vote.”…

“The president has said all along, and you heard him on Monday, that Congress will do the right thing if the American people speak up,” Carney said. “If they raise their voices, if they make their views known. As he said then, it’s not about him, it’s about the American people and what the right, common-sense thing is to do when it comes to taking action to reduce gun violence.”

***

“With the vote we take today, we are turning the page. Against the NRA’s dominance, we are turning the page to do what is right by these families and by the American people,” Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at a news conference with the family members.

Turning to the families, Schumer said Newtown was the reason the Senate acted. “The only reason we are turning the page is because of you. You spoke to Congress. You spoke to the American people. We looked in your eyes, we saw your loss. We saw the hole where your child, your sibling, your parent used to be.”

***

GOP leadership is currently weighing four options for handling the gun bill, according to sources close to leadership.

The first is to send a Senate-passed bill to the House Judiciary Committee for a markup — the panel would very likely take its time and gut the bill. Second is to ask that committee to draft its own background checks bill, which would almost certainly create a product that hews closely to the NRA’s specifications. House leadership is likely to give the committee wide berth on whether gun control laws need to be bolstered.

Boehner could also completely ignore the Senate bill — an unlikely outcome, aides say. Or he could move it straight to the House floor — that would happen only if the situation gets too politically hot for House Republicans. So far, that is not likely to happen: Just a handful of Republicans, most prominently Rep. Peter King of New York, have been supportive of Toomey and Manchin’s compromise.

***

Wednesday morning on “Starting Point,” anchors John Berman and Christine Roman hosted Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), one of the two senators responsible for the compromise legislation on background checks…

Berman: Senator Joe Manchin from West Virginia, you’ve been working around the clock for a compromise deal. I think you have a very busy few weeks ahead of you still.

Manchin: We appreciate your support, too, this is very, very important.

***

Vice President Joe Biden gave an interview to MSNBC’s Morning Joe on gun control and heaped praise on host Joe Scarborough saying that he and NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg deserved rewards for changing the gun debate in America.

“Hey Joe, thank you. You have changed the debate in America. The two guys who deserve an award, if anything gets done around here, is you and Michael Bloomberg” Biden said.

***

***

Via Twitchy.

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Orwell would be proud.

Midas on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM

He would not. Some of the characters in his books, on the other hand…

Dunedainn on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Oh I shall too, he was a lively one round here for sure!!

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Does anyone know what post where we lost our favorite one?

Electrongod on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Ed Morrissey on April 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

This is all I know. Thanks Dire.
KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Ed is totally right.

I am very glad that HotAir takes this stand. They are a classy site and have every right to remove comments from/ban people who call for violence against public officials. How is this even controversial? It’s like the most obvious no-brainer.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I would have remained silent if it would have aided Walker, but Ed has made it clear that it would be to no avail. *sigh*

I’m glad to see you, too, Ken. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

it’s time

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

It’s like the most obvious no-brainer.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Our resident expert on ‘no brainer’.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Who needs their latrines cleaned?
NotPartisan is giving out free tongue baths!
More than 10, in fact!

RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

jrsrigmvr on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Good evening, Fred! Lovely to see you. I’m still smiling when I think of your marvelous news. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

i thought we were boycotting tonight……….?

williamg on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Can we get the public officials banned for calling for violence against us?

MarshFox on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Well, I think it was mistaken as hanging politicians, because I got that SW was just calling them the wh0res that they are, but, yeah. I’ve seen worse when libfreeorcry farts.
RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Well, I am going to stick up for Libfree here. I have never seen him/her post anything ban-worthy nor any kind of calls for violence against political enemies. Libfree usually engages in thoughtful debates, at least, unlike some of the other Obama supporters who post here.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Ed is totally right.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

You forgot..

“For once”

Electrongod on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

williamg on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Ed made it clear that it was pointless, sadly. If you read back up thread you’ll find his comment in a quote.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Electrongod on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I don’t know, but it prolly was his fav saying, you know hemp rope and stuff…. 0_o

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Our resident expert on ‘no brainer’.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Set the hook! Set the hook!

novaculus on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

my common sense and understanding of the world informs me that people should not need more than 10round clips

nonpartisan on April 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Self-defined as an imbecile is as good as it gets for libtrolls here at HotGas. Thank you for the clarity.

Reporter: “Officer, why do you carry a .45 pistol as your service weapon?”

Officer: “Because they don’t make a .46…?”

Jaibones on April 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Distant Drums – Jim Reeves

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Dreaming..:)

Dire Straits on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Ed Morrissey on April 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
This is all I know. Thanks Dire.
KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Ed is totally right.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

You’re a no-brainer. And, you wouldn’t know classy if it slapped you across your ugly face.

RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM

novaculus on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

LOL! I’d only have to throw it back. I don’t keep trash fish. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hang ‘em high

for swalker

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Ed says it was a comment that didn’t get out of moderation.

KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Ed is totally right.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Advertising is also against the ToS, Mr. Trolling for Twitter Followers.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Big surprise. Now, GFY.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Your trolling knows no bounds..You are sad..Reminds me of Dr Telsa..*ignore button activated*

Dire Straits on April 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Well, I am going to stick up for Libfree here.
bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

birds of a feather. both of you despise Sarah.

Sarah forgives you bluegill. Her drop dead gorgeous doe eyed daughter is off to start her beautician business. Prolly make more than twice what you make in the first year.

OUCH!
Palin 2016 ( just to annoy haters like you, LOL)

renalin on April 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM

KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

It must have been worse than the usual rant from SW about hemp rope and lamposts…Just saying Ed!!! Those always got posted…

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Excellent point. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hi, Jackie…..you’re beautiful.

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

SARAH PALIN!!!!!
Better than Bluegill on her worst day!

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Does this mean we have to listen to The Gilled One?

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thank you, williamg. You’re too kind. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ed says it was a comment that didn’t get out of moderation.
KCB on April 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I believe it was posted on SW’s site. Resist we much linked to it in the previous QOTD thread. Yeah, it was definitely ban-worthy. Aren’t you guys always preaching about what conservatives you are and how you’re all about personal responsibility? Well, people need to face the consequences of violent comments posted on site’s like this. HotAir (rightfully) wont tolerate it.

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ed said his quote never made past the cue, so I’ll take his word on what was said. I mean if it never posted, how can we know he was misunderstood. I liked a lot of what SW posted, but the young man has some serious anger issues and impulse control problems… and he tended towards the outrageous sometimes..

so,.. he was young.. maybe someday he’ll be allowed back. We all mature a bit,. I won’t second guess on what he wrote without seeing it.

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

No. Just ignore it. We all do.

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Big surprise. Now, GFY.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I couldn’t highlight the rest as I was sick to my stomach..

LibFreeOrDie….
doesn’t have to directly stick up for violence..
But with the swipe of a pin on election day..

Different story..
I guess..

Electrongod on April 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

But you and your ilk can spread that the killing of millions of babies is OK right?

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

my five year old grandson wouldn’t play with you either.

LOL! I’d only have to throw it back. I don’t keep trash fish. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM

cut the line, or better yet just throw the pole in and sip some whiskey.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thank you, williamg. You’re too kind. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Actually……I’m not kind enough……

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Libfree engages in thoughtful debates.
Root canals can be fun.
Who does’t love a tax audit.
Cow manure smells heavenly.
Breadballs floating in the Rio Grande are delicious.
Illegal Immigrants are only doing the jobs whitey refuses to do.
Prison life is like an extended vacation at Disney World.

SparkPlug on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

renalin on April 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Well, who is dumped on here more than me. I’m not complaining. No one else would take the daily abuse I get and still return day after day. That’s how much I care about my country and making my voice heard. Anyway, I figured I should stick up for a fellow despised commenter. I don’t agree with libfree’s racial obsession, of course, but he/she isn’t really that bad. There are far worse….Dave Rywall being one of them.

And, honestly, some of the hardcore Palinistas, who attack any Republican not named Palin and who dump on anyone who refuses to bow before their Queen Sarah, can be as bad as any Obama-supporting troll at times.

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Never Been To The Islands- Amazing Rhythm Aces

Your tune was amazing, Dire… and inspiring. :) Rum?

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM

The thing is, lostmotherland told commenters to die in a ditch and lived to crap on for another day, so, no, the rules are not exactly balanced.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Hey, Scrumpy – I emailed you.

Thank you so much for “talking to me” last night……

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Can we get an amendment added repealing the Hughes amendment?

clement on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

cut the line, or better yet just throw the pole in and sip some whiskey.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Kentucky bourbon?

:P

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yes… you are complaining… and whining, too.

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

With that, I bid you all adieu. TGIF! Sweet dreams, all.

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

renalin on April 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Ahhhhh, the victim. Sarah Palin gets it far worse than you and you continue to attack her, so shove it up your big arse and deal with it.
You deserve all you get and more.
Oh, and Sarah Palin 2016!!!!!!

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Fish

for bluegill

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

LOL! Agreed. *Clink* :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Good evening william!! Sorry I should have checked… will do in a while :-)

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

bluegill on April 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

You certainly make the sacrifice. Day after day..after day…after day…after day. Don’t you get bored?

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Smells better already.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Hooked… netted… boated… gaffed. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM

gardyloo!

it was only a matter of time before that moron swalker was banned. the lad and his violent fantasies were tolerated for long enough. fair riddance.

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Night Shift

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Just Between You and Me…- Amazing Rhythm Aces

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Gotcha,, I’m not really current, had some medical issues to deal with, and decided to just walk away from the laptop after the election rather than end up throwing it out a window.. had to decompress. Only started coming back here a bit at a time a couple of weeks back.

never heard of lostmotherland before.

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

gardyloo!

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Another c#untry heard from.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I need to find a nice quiet spot and do some thinking…

God Bless you all!!

Good night and sweet dreams!

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Goodnight, Spritely One. Sweet dreams. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Scrumpy on April 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Good night Chrissy.

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

well i like tennesee whiskey but i’m not pickey.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Putz.

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

sock identified.

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Orwell would be proud.

Midas on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM

He would not. Some of the characters in his books, on the other hand…

Dunedainn on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Interesting discussion..Very interesting..:)

Dire Straits on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM

never heard of lostmotherland before.

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Well, glad you’re back and feeling better. The election made me ‘sick’ as well. There is just a little too much benefit of the doubt given to trolls. SW was a great commenter. You notice it’s the trolls that are rejoicing. With a few squishes that just want to get into Ed’s pants. ;)

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Ed has come out of the closet as the Marxist stooge of the Fifth Column Treasonous Media that many of us have known him to be for a long time.

haha, the poor sod really went off the edge didn’t he.

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

sock identified.

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Probably right.

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Margaritaville – Buffett

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You’re just all a quiver aren’t you? Trembling with delight. Why don’t you take that smirk and crawl back where you came from? The light must be blinding for you anyway.

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

sock identified.

tom daschle concerned on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Probably right.

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Multiple personality disorder, perhaps? It is interesting tat at least two of the five known personalities are as ignorant as Sesquiadoodoo and Bluepill.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I’ll have one! On the rocks..Salt! Thank you MG!!!

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Loon..Is that all you have???..

Dire Straits on April 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

well i like tennesee whiskey but i’m not pickey.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

me either,..

anything you can put a match to will do in a pinch. IF I was able to drink anymore,.. can’t now,.. on pain meds, have been since 04.

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Me, too. Let’s put our feet up and sip a cold one together! :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Me, too. Let’s put our feet up and sip a cold one together! :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

That’s a big glass.. Oh, this is my straw? Oh, ok! MMMMmmmm.

KCB on April 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Southern Cross – CSN&Y

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Not sure which is worse,.. trolls.. meh.

but openly sucking up is more than sleasy.

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Very nice. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM

: )

……made my week…..

……hey, can you believe how that kid from HANSON, of a groups, just tears his guitar up? WoW!

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM

novaculus on April 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Good evening, Nova. So good to see you. :) I hope you’re well.

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Or…..

some music I lurved way back..

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Loon..Is that all you have???..

Dire Straits on April 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

i also have this – for swalker:

Nothing gonna stop them as the day follows the night
Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right
And they sing as they march with their flags unfurled
Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

williamg on April 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Yes, he’s quite a talent. :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Loon..Is that all you have???..

Dire Straits on April 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

i also have this – for swalker:

Nothing gonna stop them as the day follows the night
Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right
And they sing as they march with their flags unfurled
Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I never knew hemorrhoids could comment-surprise, you are a pioneer.

RovesChins on April 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM

sesquipedalian on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

If you wish to converse with SWalker, I suggest you go to his blog “Wilderness of Mirrors” … you know… where he would be more than happy to respond to you, rather than attempt to take snide shots at him here… behind his back. Of course, that might require the spine to actually have to read his replies.

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I’ll Take Care of You – Hart/Bonamassa

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Good evening, Jackie. I’m well, thank you.

Let’s rock!

Born To Be Wild

novaculus on April 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

novaculus on April 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I’m with you, Nova! :)

thatsafactjack on April 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

mark81150 on April 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I feel for you bro

as for me the jd is my pain killer

Fred