Chaplain Emil Kapaun receives the Medal of Honor posthumously

posted at 8:31 pm on April 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

The best thing you’ll read all day is this Katherine Miller piece at the Free Beacon recounting Kapaun’s heroism in Korea under fire and as a prisoner of the Chinese. I confess I’d never heard of him until recently; if you hadn’t either, make amends now. The Medal of Honor’s typically awarded for a discrete act of valor but Kapaun’s glory is really his total indomitability from battlefield to POW camp. His story reminds me a bit of Franz Jagerstatter’s, in case that’s an extra inducement to spend some time with this. Lay aside your dislike of O for a bit and listen to him describe Kapaun’s ordeal at today’s medal ceremony. It’s amazing that he isn’t more widely known.

The Army’s chaplain corps is proud today, as it should be.

Comments

As it should be.

An honor bestowed upon an honorable man…

May he rest in peace…

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Sorry, maybe if Obama gave a shite about what he’s saying, I might listen.

He has disdain for the military.

A man with no Honor cannot convey it.

It’s unfortunate Obama is the CiC. The Chaplain deserves better.

catmman on April 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Am so anxious to hear about Chaplain Emil Kapaun’s heroism but I cannot bring myself to listen to O. Guess I’ll just wait for tomorrow’s newspaper to read all about it.

jdeg2 on April 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I read the links don’t need to hear 0 say a damn word…

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I’ll just wait for tomorrow’s newspaper to read all about it.

jdeg2 on April 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Just skip all the parts where it says..
“And Obama said…”

Electrongod on April 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I grew up knowing about Chaplain Kapaun, because he’s from my town of Wichita, and my high school is named after him. I’m thrilled that he is finally being honored. (We always pronounced his name with the emphasis on the first syllable – Kay-pun)

Commonsense13 on April 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

A man of honor like Kapuan is likely spinning in his grave at the dishonor o is bestowing on every facet of America.

traye on April 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I can read all about this dude at other places, I won’t listen to the Dog Eater utter a single word about a man that he would openly abhor if Bark didn’t have to make an official statement.

Kapaun served, Bark is a sad POS trying to destroy everything that Kapaun represented.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

If the Chaplain was of Catholic or Evangelical persuasion, he is categorized as an extremist — according to Army Reserve “teaching.”

65droptop on April 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

He’s from Kansas. There is a Catholic High School here in Wichita named after him. He’s a big-time local hero. This is big news here. We are very proud of him.

Corporal Tunnel on April 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Bless him.

I heard one story that the Vatican is considering him for sainthood. That would be an exclusive club.

rbj on April 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Commonsense13 on April 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Wichita East graduate here. We had one heck of a rivalry back in the day. It’s good to see someone else here from doo-dah.

Corporal Tunnel on April 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Obama cares nothing for the heroics and self-sacrifice of men, especially someone who was a chaplain.

The Free Beacon piece does Kapaun honor.

…trying to destroy everything that Kapaun represented.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

65droptop on April 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

He was Catholic, so today he would be considered an extremist.

INC on April 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

“Lay aside your dislike of O for a bit and…”

You can’t be serious, can you? Lay aside “dislike,” at the single most offensive, destructive, arrogant, inane, overrated, uneducated, treasonous, thieving, murdering scumbag to EVER hold the office of President?

No wonder we’re screwed. I wash my hands of this site…

DrScottMD on April 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Why do these things take so long?

Mimzey on April 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

This series from the Wichita Eagle is quite captivating.

I originally read it when it was first published in 2009, but of course there are many updates, including interviews with the soldiers he ministered to.

rbj on April 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

And yes, he is being considered for sainthood upon the testimony of Chase Kear, who miraculously survived a severe accident as a pole vaulter on a community college track team. That’s in the last installment of the Wichita Eagle’s series.

PatriotGal2257 on April 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

A Heroic servant of God.

I’ve been reading about Father Kapaun on catholic blogs.

This is from Father Z’s blog…

“Fr. Emil Kapaun will posthumously receive the Congressional Medal of Honor today.

He received the Bronze Star in life and, after death, the Distinguished Service Cross.

As a POW in a Chinese camp during the horrible winter of 1951 he was… amazing.

His mortal remains are probably in an unmarked grave by the POW camp near Pyoktong, North Korea.

His cause for beatification is also open…”

So Catholics start prayin’…He could be turn out to be a saint.

workingclass artist on April 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’m no fan of President Obama’s, but I watched the video, and I’m glad I did. The story is unbelievable; the President did a nice job delivering the narrative and bestowing the honor on Fr. Kapaun, and awarding the medal to Fr. Kapaun’s nephew. It’s a story that should be told over and over…

dpduq on April 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

In 1963, at the Hialeah Compound Chapel, Pusan, Korea, we held a memorial service for Father Kapaun, to include a number of Army officers and NCO’s who survived captivity thanks to the efforts of Emil Kapaun. I was a young kid at the time, one of the four altar boys assisting at the service. Major General Barry McCaffery Sr., with the 1st Cav (Father Kapaun’s old outfit) before they headed for ‘Nam, was the senior officer present (had a son who had just graduated West Point that summer…later became a General, but that is another story.) Captain Leonard Lukaszewski was the officiating Priest…Father Luke survived Omaha Beach…one of the only one’s in his landing craft to do so.

In talking with those who knew Father Kapaun, for me, even as a young kid…well, it was pretty awesome…very very real..and just over a decade since he died while a POW.

Thanks for mentioning this great great man…and the Medal of Honor, late, but appropriate nonetheless.

Sainthood would be a nice.

coldwarrior on April 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I wouldn’t listen to Obama if you paid me.

Alana on April 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

“He embodied those heartland values”

Yeah, values you and your fellow travelers have spent the last 60 years undermining, you fraud.

Cleombrotus on April 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Ch. Kapaun has a place alongside the Four Immortal Chaplains. Mr. Artlover is an Army Chaplain. I see first-hand how much they love their troops. They have a difficult job. I’m very proud of him.

artlover on April 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I’m well aware of Kapaun’s story. The last think I want to hear is Barry talking about it.

GarandFan on April 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Commonsense13 on April 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Corporal Tunnel on April 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I took a photography class one summer at Wichita East. Good times. Good times. Good to see you here, Corporal Tunnel.

Commonsense13 on April 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Actually, got to give him credit for his timing. Sends a nice signal to North Korea if they will even hear about it.

Cleombrotus on April 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Anyone know why it took 62 frickin years to award this richly deserved honor? Just curious.

And a tip o the cap to Barry. I watched this live on FNC this afternoon and was moved to tears. I hate the man, but he did a nice job. It was nice to see the man Kapaun saved and carried 4 miles in attendance.

rcpjr on April 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM

As a Catholic convert 6 years ago this Easter I am for some reason having difficulty seeing my monitor after watching this.

Incredibly moving.

SgtSVJones on April 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM

There’s other on which to complain about Obama. This one is for honoring the exemplary service of Chaplain Kapaun.

exhelodrvr on April 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM

God bless you sir, and your selfless example.

ted c on April 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Very well deserved, thank you for posting Allahp.

ted c on April 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Salute and God Bless.

Grunt on April 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Sainthood would be a nice.

coldwarrior on April 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Great story…thanks for posting it.

And yeah…Sainthood for Fr. Kapaun would be nice.

workingclass artist on April 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

coldwarrior on April 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Thank you for the backstory. This is all…just stunning.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM

It looks like we have consensus. Chaplain Kapaun is a hero, of which I agree, and Bark is a *agoff, of which I agree.

RIP Chaplain, you’ve done good, sir!

Thomas More on April 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It’s nice to here Bam’s tremendous oratorical skills used for good instead of evil for a change. Thank you for your service, Chaplain.

alchemist19 on April 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I keep hoping that one of these days, O will speak of one of these men and let his hard heart soften. Love, honor, duty: no community organizer is any substitute for these.

*listens*

Criminy, he is talking about himself again!! And added a comment that the priest “didn’t carry a gun.”

PattyJ on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sorry, maybe if Obama gave a shite about what he’s saying, I might listen.

He has disdain for the military.

A man with no Honor cannot convey it.

It’s unfortunate Obama is the CiC. The Chaplain deserves better.

catmman on April 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I’ve got the notion to say something ….. but I can’t improve on that.

Kudos (and ouch).

listens2glenn on April 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I was going to write comments and then I read these:

The Free Beacon piece does Kapaun honor.

…trying to destroy everything that Kapaun represented.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

65droptop on April 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

He was Catholic, so today he would be considered an extremist.

INC on April 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

And those ^^ express what I am feeling about this.

God bless Father Kapaun. And all our troops, bless their service and their families, keep them all safe.

Lourdes on April 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM

*listens*

PattyJ on April 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Obama: shameful egotism continually on display.

Obama can’t even bestow honors on an apparently holy man in memorial without exploiting the man’s life for Obama’s cryptic political purposes.

Lourdes on April 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I will never lay aside my dislike of the rat-eared devil. He’s hardly a friend of the military even if he doesn’t get tongue twisters in this particular MOH ceremony as he did when he was describing the ordeal of a Navy corpse-man.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM

The last think I want to hear is Barry talking about it.

GarandFan on April 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Look how much the rat-eared devil has lowered the standards for the Presidency. He’s getting rave reviews for simply telling the compelling, heroic, and honorable story about a Catholic priest without making the presentation all about him or his worthless wife and spoiled brats. We used to expect more from our Presidents and God willing, when this Kenyan socialist leaves the White House, we can raise the standards again since we are no longer dealing with an affirmative action employee with no discernible abilities or accomplishments.

Happy Nomad on April 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I have a good friend who is a Catholic Chaplin. The persecution isn’t over yet–it just gained another nation.

At another time and place, we might have been treated to a great movie about Fr. Kapaun’s life and martyrdom.

Don L on April 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I am a proud graduate of Chaplain Kapaun Memorial High School, a Jesuit institution that has since merged with a girls high school to become Kapaun Mount Carmel HS. I just last year attended my 50th Reunion. We were all heartened to hear of the move to award the Medal of Honor to Chaplain Kapaun, but perhaps an even greater recognition of this man’s holiness is the fact that he is being considered by the Vatican for Sainthood. I would humbly submit that the heartland virtues he learned as a child are an inseparable part of the hero/saint he became. None like him have come from Washington, DC.

Longhorn Six on April 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

So Catholics start prayin’…He could be turn out to be a saint.

workingclass artist on April 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM

From the comment section at your link:

That he is receiving this honor under our current administration should count as his first miracle.

Made me chuckle…

Fallon on April 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Does Obooba mention himself twenty times and mispronounce “corps”?

Did he give a shoutout to Joe Medicine Crow?

If you listened, please lemme know.

Akzed on April 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

A great and inspiring story. This also reminds me of the story of Fr. Vincent Capodanno (“The Grunt Padre”), who posthumously received the MoH in 1968, for his service in Vietnam. He’s currently a candidate for canonization:

Ward Cleaver on April 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I’m surprised that Obama didn’t opine the sadness that there was no son or daughter to accept the medal…

Oh yeah… Catholic priest…

—————————–

Godspeed, Padre… BRAVO ZULU!!

Khun Joe on April 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Here is a link to the Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School in Wichita, Kansas named in his honor.

opaobie on April 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Perhaps though we may disagree with President Obama’s politics, we might for a moment, view him as Chaplain Kapaun looked at his men.

I understand that you dislike his politics, and that is your right, but is all of the vitriol and rancor really necessary?

DevilsPrinciple on April 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM