Carney denies White House approved Jay-Z trip, disses rapper’s rhyming skills

posted at 6:01 pm on April 11, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Live by the stupid, pop-culture story, Obama White House. Die by the stupid, pop-culture story.

Enjoy this video, in which the administration that got reelected on the strength of its Big Bird and binders memes, is asked in a press briefing about the lyrics of a Jay-Z rap.

Of course, the problem for the White House is this isn’t just a stupid pop-culture story. It just happened to be advanced today using a pop-culture vehicle, thereby giving an awkward story for President Obama about as much chance at life in the news cycle as it could possibly hope for. Thanks, Jay-Z!

Jay-Z released a rap online Wednesday entitled “Open Letter,” meant to answer critics of his recent anniversary trip to Cuba with his wife. In the lyrics, the rapper contradicted the White House’s official version of the story on how Jay-Z and Beyoncé got clearance to travel to our Communist neighbor to the south. The lyrics, as transcribed by our friend E.M. Zanotti:

Got too much bread they try to jam ya
Boy from the hood but got white house clearance
Sorry, y’all, I don’t agree with your appearance
Politicians never done shit for me, except lie to me, distort history
Wanna give me jail time, fine, let me commit a real crime

See, the White House has been claiming it was the Treasury Department that gave the Carters clearance for their “educational,” “person-to-person” jaunt to Cuba, and they had nothing to do with it. Jay-Z’s formulation here could certainly be artistic license, but given his close personal relationship with Obama, definitely worth a question, even if the poor reporter is reduced to sounding supremely silly dryly quoting rap lyrics.

Jay Carney’s response:

But on Thursday, White House press secretary Jay Carney said dismissively “it’s a song.”

“I guess nothing rhymes with Treasury, because Treasury offers and gives licenses for travel and the White House had nothing to do it,” Carney said.

OH. SNAP. JAY-Z, THIS PREP-SCHOOL, IRONIC GLASSES-WEARING PUNK JUST SAID YOU CAN’T RHYME TREASURY. DOESN’T HE KNOW YOU ONCE RHYMED “FLAKIEST” AND “ATHEIST,” AND THAT TRADITIONAL LITERARY PERFECT RHYME IS NOT A REQUIREMENT OF MODERN-DAY POETS? BITCH.

Read Zanotti’s hilarious explication of the entire song, here. Persistent, callous ignorance of Cuba’s plight, it turns out, is quite a catchy hook.

Watch out, y’all. Jay Carney-Jay-Z is about to break ground as the only rap feud crappier than ones involving Ja Rule.

Comments

So we’re going to have a new New York – DC rap war?

rbj on April 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Geeez Washington is aging Carney fast. He is what, 16 now?

Limerick on April 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Dem-on-Dem drama is the best. The problem is, Jay-Z has street-cred to maintain and will not back down. I hope this blows up into a full-fledged rap world “beef” saga. Popcorn please!

NCPatriot75 on April 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Seriously, who could possibly think that our POST-RACIAL president, who salivates at the mere mention of any hollyweird/performer degenerate, could possibly command his entire regime to give preferential treatment to the idiotic, offensive actions of two black degenerate performers.

That’s simply crazy thinking.

TeaPartyNation on April 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Who’s the bigger Mitch?

Jay-C or Jay-Z?

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Of COURSE the WH didn’t approve anything.

They know nothing, approve nothing, hear nothing, see nothing, authorize nothing….

These guys have been in office for five years and the only thing they will take credit for are their vacations.

They’re simply going to use the Benghazi play book for everything. It’s served them exceptionally well.

And with a compliant and enabling press, well…

Sgt Schultz wasn’t this good.

catmman on April 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Carney said I can’t rhyme “treasury”?
Hit your knees, punk, and pleasure me

Jim Treacher on April 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

How many years until we have President Dwayne Elizondo “Mountain Dew” Herbert Camacho?

Oil Can on April 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Treasury,,,,,,,

…… Bled me, fed me got my hands on tha trez-Ree.

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Carney said I can’t rhyme “treasury”?
Hit your knees, punk, and pleasure me

Jim Treacher on April 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Sadly, in the world of rap, this is high art. I grieve for the state of Black America.

Paul-Cincy on April 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Gosnell case?

this is pretty horrid, hadn’t heard about this before reading this on hotair

nonpartisan on April 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Jay-Z?

Discussed at length in White House press conference.

rogerb on April 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

‘Bama got ninety-nine problems, and this one’s dumb
Frontin’ celebu-Dems be tryin’ eat his dog dim-sum
But they hero ain’t from da hood, and he ain’t no chum
That bus will hit’em good and then they done

M240H on April 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Isn’t “Carney” the term for a carnival worker?

myiq2xu on April 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Treasury….

…….got my hands in your pocket, takin ya money, an feelin mighty fwree.

Tresree Tressre,

Robbin ya bline, feelin all fine.

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Jim Treacher on April 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Now we know what’s on your car stereo.

platypus on April 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Oil Can on April 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Aren’t we already there?

ex_machina on April 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

So… what rhymes with ‘under the bus’?

Scott P on April 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Carney said I can’t rhyme “treasury”?
Hit your knees, punk, and pleasure me

Jim Treacher on April 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Like he hasn’t already done that!

Thanks, Jim, that was to first laugh I have had all day!

herm2416 on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Poor Mooch. No class.

In a speech that addressed youth violence in Chicago, First Lady Michelle Obama compared herself to Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old girl murdered soon after attending President Obama’s Second Inauguration. “Hadiya Pendleton was me, and I was her,” said the first lady.

tom daschle concerned on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I think Marco Rubio said it best…

… Cuba is not a zoo!

Seven Percent Solution on April 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Dana Perino did an awesome rap response to Jay Z tonite on The Five.

Buy Danish on April 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Got approval by the Treasury
‘Cause this crime ain’t like a Trayvon Martin crime spree.
I got a gun…ain’t even registered.
Barack ain’t sh!t…can’t even pleasure her.
Talkin’ ’bout she a single mother.

SouthernGent on April 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Carney denies White House approved Jay-Z trip

Oh, sure, just like the White House didn’t approve of Jay-Z, Beyonce, and their entourage posing in the White House Situation Room.

In my opinion, it’s quite possible that Jay-Z acted as Obama’s liason to Castro on this trip to Cuba.

We now have someone who has been inside a very important U.S. governmental/military facility and now travelled to a Communist country that is supposedly banned to travel, and discussed who-knows-what with them.

Imagine if that had happened during the Cuban missle crisis.

ITguy on April 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

ITguy on April 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Or, J-Z might just be his errand-boy, sent to bring back some decent cigars for the REB.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I just posted an awesome rap response to this whole situation and HA filtered it. I guess I should be proud. It must have been good.

WhatSlushfund on April 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Tupac vs Biggie.
Bring popcorn.

RovesChins on April 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Let me try again with some different characters:

50, could not be reached for comment

Ni66az be trippin, it’s a common lament

Gay-Z’s got no flow

And his b**ch, is a stupid ass ho

Carnie is a joke in the circus

If his man had his way ho’s w’d be in burkas

No shootin hoops in the Court no more

IN-Justice Roberts:

We are ready for war

WhatSlushfund on April 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Ah, there we go. (Unless it gets deleted.)

WhatSlushfund on April 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Ha ha ha

John the Libertarian on April 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Where’s Biggie Smalls when you need him?

Polish Rifle on April 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I’m calling it like it is… This is no further from the ‘hood than the typical black on black favoritism that allows for taking care of “a brother”. If stating what occurs day in and day out everywhere else happens also in the WH makes me a racist, so be it.

SteveInRTP on April 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

With our foreign policy guided by Jay-Z and Dennis Rodman, what more could we ask for?

rplat on April 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Au contraire. I think this is a perfect suggestion for EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY!

Who won? Who’s next?

Sockpuppet Politic on April 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Er, that should have been:

Who won? Who’s next?

Sockpuppet Politic on April 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Who won? Who’s next?

Sockpuppet Politic on April 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

If it were between the Preezy and Jay-C, it’d be closer to this…

Dude like dat, he runnin’ from de cat…

Viewtifulgare on April 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM