Biden: Some people just like shooting guns because “it’s like driving a Ferrari”

posted at 10:41 am on April 11, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I still find it bizarre that, of all people, this is the guy they’re sending out to lead the charge on gun control. I suppose, for one thing, he’s at least — ahem — unintimidating?

It’s used to be, Joe, we were dealing almost exclusively with hunters. … There’s a whole new sort of group of individuals who, I don’t what the numbers are, that never hunt at all, but they own guns for one of two reasons: Self-protection, or, they just like the feel of that AR-15 at the range. They like the way it feels. They just, you know, it’s like driving a Ferrari, you know. So, my impression is, there’s not the same sort of cultural norm about gun ownership with a lot of people who are buying guns now.

Actually, people go to the range because it is fundamentally irresponsible to own firearms for self-protection, hunting, or any use without being well-practiced in their handling. And sure, firing at the range can be a lot of fun, and I know I’ve had a bit of “new toy”-mentality when I bought my first gun, but that’s only because it’s an empowering activity in an “I refuse to be a victim”-type of way, not because it’s glamorous or showy or expensive.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And libtards have the nerve to call Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin stupid.

sentinelrules on April 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No, it’s not. I don’t have a constitutional right to a Ferrari.

Mark1971 on April 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The only gun control Biden should be concerned with is his own shooting off his mouth.

JetBoy on April 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Let’s see…shooting an AR-15 is like driving a Ferrari? WOW! I can’t afford a Ferrari, so I’ll go out and buy an AR-15! Way to sell me, Joe, sounds like fun!

hulagain on April 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Joe Biden likes shooting his mouth off because he thinks it’s like driving a Ferrari.

Bitter Clinger on April 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

North East coast liberal fails to understand fly-over country. I’m surprised! Not. It’s about self-protection and always has been. Being able to hunt is an added benefit but not essential to why I own weapons.

chemman on April 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Every time Joey opens his mouth, he once again proves what a worthless idiot he is.

GarandFan on April 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That comparison might apply, if I was in the possession of a howitzer.

nobar on April 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

So, according to Joe, people who own guns and practice with them are really just kids who never grew up?

Liam on April 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Is Biden really what passes for quick-witted, intellectual discourse in the Party of Downgrade these days? Yikes. Thank you low IQ voters for another 4 years of this.

smfic on April 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

What a flaming jackass. Can you imagine if he were to be President?

NJ Red on April 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Democrats did not lie in 2008. I voted for McCain, and I did get an idiot for VP.

Archivarix on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

One of two reasons, huh, those are the ONLY two reasons?

ROFL

I have guns in my safe that I never ever shoot because they are investments and will payoff handsomely the day I decide to sell them.

And there is nothing in the world like shooting a sub 2″ MOA at 500+ yards, nothing, but gun grabbers will never understand such satisfaction because they think guns are only good for killing.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

So every gun owner is basically going through a mid life crisis? Let’s hope they don’t turn to hair plugs next…/

changer1701 on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Do any Dems understand a damn thing about either guns or gun owners? What planet do these people live on?

Doughboy on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

One heartbeat away…..

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Two Joe’s on one show is just too much…

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Gun control lie-a-palooza: Biden recycles phony background check stat on ‘Morning Joe’ [video]

Colbyjack on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Biden is a corrupt, stupid, evil person.

darwin on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I guess I missed the part of the Second Amendment that makes cultural norms a factor. Must be hidden with the hunting provisions.

Bottom line, the Second Amendment does not precondition with motives one’s right to keep and bear arms. We should not allow our elected officials to take that civil right away from us.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Now if we could just make a gun that goes “vrooom vrooom vrooom”

BobMbx on April 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

And some people think you need to be of Indian descent
to run a 7-11 in Delaware……isn’t that right Joe?

Jesus H. Christ, they should burn down Scranton, that’s where
this horses azz was born….come to think of it, that would
be considered Urban Renewal to that town…

ToddPA on April 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Two Joe’s on one show is just too much…

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Yeah, by two. Broadcasting the doings at a squirrel feeder would be a better use of the airwaves.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

And, now it’s wrong to purchase something (that I have a RIGHT to own!) in order to pursue my own happiness? Isn’t that what Crazy joe is implying?

GWB on April 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Your impressions, Joe, are not informative. Creepy, yes, but not important.

BobMbx on April 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Emanating penumbras that only a liberal could see? Or, another thing only liberals can discern from the Constitution and Conservatives: code.

Liam on April 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Every time Joey opens his mouth, he once again proves what a worthless idiot he is dumb runs out.

GarandFan on April 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

antipc on April 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Mika looked lost, she didn’t understand a thing Plugs was saying when it came to guns. Scarface had his glasses on and was daydreaming about slow-kissing the VP.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Just because something is important and essential doesn’t mean it can’t also be fun, Joe.

Just like sex.

Socratease on April 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

And Rosa Parks wanted to sit at the front of the bus because she liked how it felt. She liked talking with the driver. She really didn’t NEED to sit at the front.

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

From the dope who recommends shooting through your front door with your 12 gauge if you hear something suspicious.

Akzed on April 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

” … Especially when you let off a couple of double-barrel shotgun blasts right through the door, or off your deck into the back yard …”

There Goes The Neighborhood on April 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Color me confused – is he trying to sell guns?

Self-protection? You mean like Self-protection for a tyrannical government?

They just like the feel of that AR-15 at the range.

Does he mean useful (But Oh so Scary!) features like hand grips and adjustable stocks to make these guns easier to hold and use?

Does he mean guns that aren’t as powerful as big hunting rifles that are easy on the shoulder and you can carry quite a few more of those pointy things that clip into a magazine?

Galt2009 on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

What’s really nice is shooting my AR out the window of my Ferrari.

Akzed on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Actually, it’s more like this:

“This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy.”

–Marine Corps Rifleman’s Creed

SailorMark on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I know a lot of “traditional gun owners”. But I also know a good few people who live in the middle of metropolitan areas, who never hunt or engage in any sort of actually USING their guns for something, who have ar-15′s modified to the hilt.

They like guns. It IS and awesome gun and fun to shoot. But there is a sort of “prepper’s” movement happening. And it’s purpose is to be ready and armed to the teeth should some sort or armed conflict or zombie apocalypse breakout. Which is of course their constitutional right in its highest essence.

But this is what he’s talking about.

Genuine on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Not bizarre at all. It’s meant to fail. Obama doesn’t want gun control or immigration to pass. He wants issues he can demagogue until 2014.

jawkneemusic on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

“it’s like driving a Ferrari”

I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m at a red light, I fire my pistols wildly in the air.

Dives teh ladies wild!

Gatsu on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I think I’m going to go out on my front porch and “drive my Ferrari”, there’s some tin cans waiting to be taken out.

JimK on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

And libtards have the nerve to call Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin stupid.

Sure, what better way to blunt the effectiveness of your opposition than to repeatedly call them stupid publicly, make fun of them, and mock them.

Far more effective for low info voters than rational discussion on differences in issues.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Archivarix on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Thread winner!

fight like a girl on April 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Voting on Cloture now; C-span 2 Live TV. I notice that C-span doesn’t have audio on the votes as they are taken anymore.

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

It’s a veiled way to say that gun owners aren’t real men. A guy gets a flashy sports car because he lacks something in the man department. He’s saying the same thing about owning a gun. Personally, I quite enjoy going to the range… I hate hunting I used to go with my old man. We walk 2 miles and wait for a chance the whole day. Then when you did get a kill, you got to clean it and walk another 2 miles with a dead deer. Just wait… Uncle Joe will be calling hunters sociopaths next. I can hear it,”Folks these hunters aren’t like us. They spend all day out in the woods by themselves with only a gun as their company. Trust me, they’re survivalists black helicopter nuts. Why would anyone do this when there are supermarkets. Let’s use commonsense that my mother Finnegan taught me. I’m Irish you know!”

OliverB on April 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

And some people like denying the rights of others because it’s like riding a unicorn.

antipc on April 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think I can understand his point of view. He probably feels the same way about his experience in being VP, “it’s just like driving a Ferrari!” He likes the way it feels.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Since Biden is wealthy enough to afford multiple Ferrari’s and an AR-15′s, I will have to conclude that he is speaking out of experience.

Since I cannot afford a Ferrari, I will therefore purchase several AR-15′s since they are within my price range.

Thank you, Joe, for that advice.

Kingfisher on April 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Archivarix on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Thread winner!

Got one for president too…..double bonus.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

But this is what he’s talking about.

Genuine on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It should still come down to every rational American saying “Who cares?”

My neighbor has a boat so loaded down with extras and mods that I’m surprised it still floats, and he barely takes it out. I don’t care.

Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I wouldn’t trust him behind the wheel of a Ferrari, or the sights of an AR-15.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hey Joe – a moron says “what?”

St Gaudens on April 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Why practice when I can just “fire two blasts outside the house”?

redzap on April 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Shooting – like fishing, rock climbing, flying, or driving – is a skill. Most normal people find some satisfaction in working on new skills. Especially if those skills may one day come in handy.

Gun ownership has far more to do with simple human nature than any Ferrarri Factor.

Joe has once again embarrassed himself.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

One heartbeat away…..

d1carter on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

15 minutes saved me 15% on my Assassination Insurance

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

The stupidest VP ever burnishing his reputation.

Jaibones on April 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Archivarix on April 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Brilliant Post.

ToddPA on April 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Some people like saying things like

When we kicked — along with France, we kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon

for benefit of a low information voting base because it’s better than sex.

MNHawk on April 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Is this the front-runner for the dhimmicRAT 2016 prez nomination?

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Biden shooting off his mouth is like driving a Yugo.

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

“I guarantee you Barack Obama ain’t taking my shotguns, so don’t buy that malarkey. Don’t buy that malarkey. They’re going to start peddling that to you. If he tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem.”

- VP-nominee Joe “Beretta” Biden, 2008

Who hunts with a Beretta, big boy?

Resist We Much on April 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Waiting on the Roll Call vote.Sounds like some R’s are voting yes on the Cloture vote. So far it appears most R’s are voting no. I hope they get enough to shut it down.

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Thank you, Joe, for that advice.

Kingfisher on April 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Actually, Joe is not rich. He lacks the mental capacity to enrichen himself as other senators have. That’s why he was tapped to make certain all the wasteful stimuli dollars got into the right pockets. He is too stupid to recognize graft or waste.

Seems to be working out the same on Government Gun Control.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Self-protection? You mean like Self-protection for a tyrannical government?

Galt2009 on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I own guns that haven’t been fired. I’ve only been to the range a handful of times. I’m not afraid of home intrusion and I don’t hunt. I’m not a “collector”. I just feel better prepared to protect myself in Galt2009′s context.

freedomfirst on April 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I watched a very little bit of this this morning. Frankly, I couldn’t stand it. They hopped all over the place and were very intent on their OWN points of view. For example, when discussing bullets that could explode inside, the pro-gun guy pointed out that those bullets could be used in many kinds of guns, including pistols and bolt-action shotguns.

Well, that didn’t stop Mika! Then she changed the topic to — automatic rifles are bad, deflecting the question away from the bullets. It was maddening.

But I swear Biden uttered an unequivocal falsehood. He was talking about the availability of large-capacity magazines/rifles (this was in the conext of the mentally ill) and was talking about how every shooter — every one in the mass shooting cases — had come by his guns. Well, Adam Lanza took his mother’s. I can’t remember the exact wording, but I turned the television off. No one challenged him, of course.

lizzieillinois on April 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Joe Biden is not worth a bucket of warm spit/hockers!

metroryder on April 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

From Silver Streak, Wilder and Pryor:

[Grover is attempting to hot wire a Jaguar]
Grover Muldoon: I’m following the plan. Just changed my mind.
George Caldwell: Are you crazy? I thought we were gonna take the Chevy in back.
Grover Muldoon: Chevy? That’s a jerk-off, man. This here is pure pussy.

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

From Silver Streak, Wilder and Pryor:

[Grover is attempting to hot wire a Jaguar]
Grover Muldoon: I’m following the plan. Just changed my mind.
George Caldwell: Are you crazy? I thought we were gonna take the Chevy in back.
Grover Muldoon: Chevy? That’s a jerk-off, man. This here is pure pxssy.

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

metroryder on April 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The bucket does not deserve that kind of a comparison.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

First, the gun-grabbers tried saying we all want kids to die. When that didn’t work, they said guns aren’t truly good for self-defense. Then, women might get too hysterical and shoot an innocent person.

Then, shoot into the air or through the door at an unseen target. Next up came the idea of saying we’re all paranoid and watching the sky for black helicopters.

Now, we’re all a bunch of emotional adolescents whose only motivation is because we like shiny baubles. Funny, if a wanted a ‘Ferrari’ kind of firearm, I’d go for a .50 cal Barrett.

The gun-grabbers, most obviously Biden, are looking for any reason that will stick. So far, none of their arguments really have in persuading people who are pro-Second or indifferent to change their minds. This seems one of the biggest fishing expeditions in political history.

What will guns be to Joe tomorrow: That the men need p*nis extensions and the women suffer from p*nis envy?

Liam on April 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I’m penning a new book, which I think will be a runaway best seller:

Biden for Dummies

Shy Guy on April 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Who hunts with a Beretta, big boy?

Depends on what you are hunting….Beretta does make some fine shot guns. Maybe Jill has one of those.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

freedomfirst on April 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Like these?: http://www.guns.com/2013/04/09/a-gallery-of-some-of-the-worlds-most-impressive-personal-gun-displays-33-photos/

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

What a flaming jackass. Can you imagine if he were to be President?

NJ Red on April 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Sadly, he’d be better at it than the current moron.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

SO Biden drives a Ferrari???
He gets paid to much….
There is some wealth that needs to be re-distributed….

redguy on April 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

What’s even scarier about the words coming out of his mouth is that some people understand what he means and agrees with him.

Kissmygrits on April 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

IIRC, he was talking about his 9mm Beretta.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I hope the Republicans keep this video on tap. In the Senate races, play them in gun country and ask where their Senator was, sticking up for them. If we had a free press in this country, they’d be asking him if he really believes law abiding citizens, who own guns, think like he does.

bflat879 on April 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

And then there are people who own guns so they can advocate committing crimes like shooting off a few rounds from their balcony in residential neighborhoods to scare off people who come to their door.

Luckily, there very few of those.

Dusty on April 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Liam on April 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

They use this ploy for everything, now. That’s why no lefty cause never really dies. Every time some new “reason” is concocted to let them have what they want, they trial balloon it, word-smith it, focus-group it, journolist it, then forcefeed it via the WH and MSM.

Evil never sleeps.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I haven’t yet seen anyone else mention the obvious – Ferraris and all high performance cars clearly must be banned.
You don’t NEED a Ferrari to commute to work with a 65 mph speed limit…

dentarthurdent on April 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If I must pay my taxes, well, then I am good enough to own a gun then.

johnnyU on April 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Self-protection? You mean like Self-protection from a tyrannical government?

Galt2009 on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

freedomfirst on April 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Some take slight offense at the self-defense phrase – but I saw someone else express it this way:

I have the right to own a means of self-defense for the express purpose of shooting tyrants – and I define tyrants in the usual way as well as criminals and thieves.

That should cover all the bases on that matter.

Galt2009 on April 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Is it an unwritten law that VP’s have to take stupid pills every-other-day?

sadatoni on April 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

IIRC, he was talking about his 9mm Beretta.

Maybe he hunts mice and squirrels. :)

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

What about wielding a government financed EBT card? Is that like driving it like you stole it?

tom daschle concerned on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Like a guy who wants his wife to shoot two shotgun blasts into the streets of slave-state Delaware if she hears a noise outside? Feels great, don’t it Joe?

Steve Z on April 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Is it an unwritten law that VP’s have to take stupid pills every-other-day?

In Joe’s case its natural and by his advanced age its a well honed attribute. He doesn’t need pills to induce stupidity.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

tom daschle concerned on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Nope. Like your neighbor rented it.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Test from iphone

BobMbx on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Actually he has it backwards. Driving my Ferrari is like shooting an AR-15. ;-)

TexAz on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I wouldn’t know, Joe. I’ve never driven a Ferrari. Likely never will. Especially after your boss is done with us.

As for the rest of your argument, the trolls here already tried that whole “gun / extension of your pen1s” canard. It was no more effective than the other screeds they came up with.

CurtZHP on April 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You don’t need a Ferrari to hit a deer!!!!!

profitsbeard on April 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Biden?

Just one heartbeat away…

Kinda chilling thought, isn’t it?

As for guns…well, show me where in the Constitution it mentions hunting, or target shooting, or sport shooting.

Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?

Tyrannical government or foreign invader were the sole reason for the Second Amendment.

No other reason.

None.

As for all the new and improved gun laws being pushed through…show me one of them…in any state…or at the federal level that, if passed into law, would prevent one single incident of some whack-job deciding to go play assassin in a big way?

Aurora?

Newtown?

Oak Creek?

But, go ahead…trust the government…they never get it wrong, ever…and always, always have our best interests at heart…and they will protect you 100% in any incident or event…100%…if you just let them disarm the Nation wholesale.

coldwarrior on April 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I’m confused. I this clip he says a shotgun blast will not go through 1/2″ of drywall. But earlier advised to ward off home invaders by using that shotgun to shooting through your 1 1/2 inch solid core steel or wooden front door because it will go through that. How exactly does that work?

kurtzz3 on April 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

kurtzz3 on April 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Unicorn Power!

Biden also knows his media flunkies won’t note his inconsistencies. His every pronouncement is new and his very first, all previous ones that don’t match up ignored by the LSM like they had never been spoken.

Liam on April 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Biden reminds me of Chance Gardener in the film “Being There” (1979). He’s has the mind of a child, and gets high up in politics just by “Being There”. Near the end of the file the housekeeper spills the beans:

It’s for sure a white man’s world in America. Look here: I raised that boy since he was the size of a piss-ant. And I’ll say right now, he never learned to read and write. No, sir. Had no brains at all. Was stuffed with rice pudding between th’ ears. Shortchanged by the Lord, and dumb as a jackass. Look at him now! Yes, sir, all you’ve gotta be is white in America, to get whatever you want. Gobbledy-gook!

Biden: “It’s the truth. I’m serious. I’m not joking.”

I wonder if it’s his arrogance that makes Biden come across as such a fool.

Paul-Cincy on April 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

An unadulterated fool and a dunce…. the gift that keeps on giving.

ultracon on April 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Out here in the sticks gun ownership and proficiency are more about self reliance and preservation than anything else. If the grocery supply chain is interrupted, meat is easy to come by if you have a rifle of some sort.

I can protect my livestock and chickens (and their eggs) from coyotes and wolves pretty easily if I have a rifle of some sort.

I can protect my property from interlopers and ne’er do wells quite easily if I have a rifle of some sort.

It is up to ME to decide what the best tools are for my family’s sustainability. Take that choice away, and you’ve put my family in jeopardy. Put my family in jeopardy and we’re going to be cross.

AScott on April 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Just put two shotgun rounds through that door….

unclesmrgol on April 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

This dolt makes one ashamed to be part of the same country.

rplat on April 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM