Biden: Some people just like shooting guns because “it’s like driving a Ferrari”

posted at 10:41 am on April 11, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I still find it bizarre that, of all people, this is the guy they’re sending out to lead the charge on gun control. I suppose, for one thing, he’s at least — ahem — unintimidating?

It’s used to be, Joe, we were dealing almost exclusively with hunters. … There’s a whole new sort of group of individuals who, I don’t what the numbers are, that never hunt at all, but they own guns for one of two reasons: Self-protection, or, they just like the feel of that AR-15 at the range. They like the way it feels. They just, you know, it’s like driving a Ferrari, you know. So, my impression is, there’s not the same sort of cultural norm about gun ownership with a lot of people who are buying guns now.

Actually, people go to the range because it is fundamentally irresponsible to own firearms for self-protection, hunting, or any use without being well-practiced in their handling. And sure, firing at the range can be a lot of fun, and I know I’ve had a bit of “new toy”-mentality when I bought my first gun, but that’s only because it’s an empowering activity in an “I refuse to be a victim”-type of way, not because it’s glamorous or showy or expensive.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is it an unwritten law that VP’s have to take stupid pills every-other-day?

sadatoni on April 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Say what you will about Cheney, but he was not on that regimen.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

He would be funny except that far too many voting morons believe him.

jamesgreenidge on April 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It should still come down to every rational American saying “Who cares?”
My neighbor has a boat so loaded down with extras and mods that I’m surprised it still floats, and he barely takes it out. I don’t care.
Bishop on April 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Perhaps, but those two ARE. A false equivalency. A boat is not a tactical weapon capable of pulling off consistent and capable attacks either on government facilities or on the civilian population. An AR-15 modded to the hilt is. So… There’s a difference in the mind of many if not the majorit of Americans between your neighbors boat and your neighbors tactical weapon.

People should have the right to be able to own these weapons. I’m not contesting that, whether screw ups use them or not. And for the right to be prepared for armed conflict above ALL other reasons and justifications.

But again, that’s what Biden is talking about in his stumbling way. That there ARE people out there arming them disproportionately to the “threats” they face. A lot of first time gun owners with AR’s. The two first time recent gun owners I know both bought them when the gun control stuff got under way. That aren’t your “traditional” style gun owners.

I tend to agree with YOU Bishop. People have every right to prepare themselves and what your neighbor is doing shouldn’t matter to you as long as its not disrupting your rights as well. But I do understand that Tactical type weapons and military grade weapons possess unique characteristics. And we DO have a line drawn as far as what the average citizen should be able to access. And I recognize that while semi-automatic guns don’t qualify for prohibition. But modded AR’s DO start tip toeing that line between civilian and military.

Genuine on April 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

People like shooting guns for PRACTICE ……. people own guns for independent, self-defense .

A gun owner who has had no practice time with their firearm(s) will be incapable of using one, in their hour of need.

listens2glenn on April 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Actually, it’s more like this:

“This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy.

–Marine Corps Rifleman’s Creed

SailorMark on April 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Akzed on April 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So be it, until victory is AmericaObama’s and there ishe has no enemy.”

Just a little fix up for Obama’s “Civilian National Security Force” creed.

hawkeye54 on April 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Genuine on April 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

When the threat you face is a government with nuclear armaments?

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Me: Biden just likes shooting his mouth because “it’s like he’s taking a crap” and he feels less full of shiite after…

RalphyBoy on April 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Is it an unwritten law that VP’s have to take stupid pills every-other-day?

sadatoni on April 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Say what you will about Cheney, but he was not on that regimen.

Resist We Much on April 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

+100

That’s why they hated him.

itsspideyman on April 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Genuine on April 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Clearly, you are every bit as ignorant about firearms and those who use them as the common media hypist. Tactical? Modded to the hilt? LOL! Do you have any idea at all what you are talking about?

Oh… and your attempt to project value onto the senseless ramblings of Joe Biden? Forget it. Even the White House’s own Biden Restatement Office has given up on that.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I guess since Fisker failed, we won’t be able to buy their $100K cars, so we need to shoot guns to attain the same pleasure. I guess we can blame Joe for this.

djaymick on April 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Largest furniture chain in the country is now arming guards and allowing carry and conceal permit holders to be armed in the stores!

Biden isn’t going to like that!

JetBlast on April 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

JetBlast on April 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Neither will Obama.

That store is owned by Warren Buffet.

coldwarrior on April 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

And sure, firing at the range can be a lot of fun…
– Erika

That’s all he’s saying.
Seems you and Biden agree here.
Savor the moment.

verbaluce on April 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

And some people who have no conscience live off of and profit from the deaths of their wives and children for political gain…as Biden has done for years.
Just calling a spade a spade.

buffyvs on April 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Biden is VP because he’s possibly the only person in America who can make Obama seem intelligent.

Marxism is for dummies on April 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Two weeks ago obama spent money on mapping the human brain. Why not just chase the squirrel in Joe’s melon? We may not learn much, but it would be entertaining as hell.

Ufdaubet on April 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Who did Biden plagiarize that opinion from?

Saltyron on April 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ufdaubet on April 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

No need to chase it – that squirrel poops out a load for us to see just about every day.

dentarthurdent on April 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Darn right. My wife loves it, now that she’s learned to shoot and gotten some guns of her own. It’s her new favorite hobby – all thanks to obumble and biteme.

dentarthurdent on April 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Another Ferris law:

Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against—then you’ll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We’re after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you’d better get wise to it. There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there it that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Rearden, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Will the Brits still be our Allies after sending Sloe-Joe to the State Funeral of Lady Thatcher?

Another Drew on April 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Now if we could just make a gun that goes “vrooom vrooom vrooom”

Ever listen to a Vulcan Cannon, as used in the Navy’s CIDS?
Some call it The Whizzer.

Another Drew on April 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

When the threat you face is a government with nuclear armaments?

davidk on April 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

So, David, you believe that the Federal Government will deploy Tactical Nukes against an internal rebellion.
Isn’t that like cutting off you nose to spite your face?

Another Drew on April 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Biden isn’t going to like that!

JetBlast on April 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Also note that Warren Buffet owns Nebraska Furniture Mart.

weaselyone on April 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I’m tired of politicians acting like AR-15s aren’t used for hunting. They’re great hunting weapons, and are often used for that purpose.

hawksruleva on April 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

In the Progressive War on America………Biden is a great General!!!

And the complete failures that are the gop are COWARDS that run from the battle.

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Keep in mind, Biden beat the crap out of Paul Ryan in the debate in all the media analysis.

IT’S THAT BAD!!!!

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Marxism is for dummies on April 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I have been saying this since 2008. Biden is perhaps the stupidest politician in our lifetimes. I used to laugh at his stupidity. Now it just plain frightens me.
Marxists are running this country and idiots like Biden facilitate it.
Today we learn that there must be a cap on our retirement savings. Biden agrees.
And Biden? He thinks he is a big f****** deal.

maryo on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM

…But how much does dear leader have socked away already? Millions I would venture to say; hidden in foreign banks and ready for his use as soon as he finishes destroying the last great country in the world.
And Biden? He thinks he is a big f****** deal.

maryo on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The REB doesn’t have to save for retirement, he has senile old fools like Penny Pritzker to take care of him and buy him estates in Hawaii.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My God, people voted for this man.

GeeWhiz on April 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

And let me guess — some people like shooting shotguns because it’s like taking the train.

unclesmrgol on April 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Why do I need an AR15?
Because Fuck You, that’s why.

justltl on April 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

What’s wrong with driving a Ferrari…or at least wanting to?

TXJenny on April 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM

January 1973. That’s how long this joke of a politician has been slurping from the ‘Public Trough’ can’t we find someone to give him a hint. A lifetime in Washington & all to show for it is a bunch of gag lines. What a moron!

RdLake on April 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM