Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on April 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

Statement from the President on Senate Background Checks Agreement

I applaud Senators Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey for their leadership on forging a bipartisan agreement around commonsense background checks that will make it harder for dangerous people to get their hands on a gun.

This is not my bill, and there are aspects of the agreement that I might prefer to be stronger. But the agreement does represent welcome and significant bipartisan progress. It recognizes that there are good people on both sides of this issue, and we don’t have to agree on everything to know that we’ve got to do something to stem the tide of gun violence.

***

U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) released the following statement today regarding a proposal by Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Pat Toomey (R-PA) to expand background checks for gun purchases:

“The Manchin-Toomey proposal is a good faith but unworkable plan. The proposal will impose new taxes and unreasonable burdens on law-abiding citizens. The agreement also prioritizes collecting records over protecting citizens. As gun control special interest groups admit, the proposal expands the government’s powers to record sales of firearms at the expense of expanding the scope of background checks. This is the wrong approach. Preventing sales to dangerous persons, not collecting receipts, will save lives.

“The proposal also unwisely expands the government’s power to regulate and control the sales of firearms. A government takeover of gun shows will open more loopholes than it closes. Instead of paying a gun show tax, gun owners will simply handle those transactions elsewhere. The Manchin-Toomey proposal, unfortunately, trades a workable way to improve access the NICS database for a system that is not workable and will be extremely difficult to pass Congress and become law.”

***

Underpinning most of the arguments is a similar idea, usually from conservatives: that universal background checks aren’t worth an expansion of government power.

Few prosecutions of denied gun buyers. Created under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and implemented in 1998, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System allows licensed gun sellers to check with the FBI, as required by law, before making a sale. While background checks have prevented tens of thousands of unlawful gun sales each year, opponents have said that the government doesn’t prosecute enough attempted buyers who are turned away. “The law right now is a failure the way it’s working,” National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre has said. According to Justice Department statistics supplied by the office of Sen. John Cornyn, out of more than 76,000 denials in 2010, 62 were referred for prosecution, and 13 resulted in guilty pleas or verdicts. Cornyn and LaPierre argued this point at a February hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee on guns…

They’re an invasion of privacy. As opponents of gun control warn about privacy issues, background checks are tangled up with another proposal, that records of gun sales must be kept. In a March 22 letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, six GOP senators, led by Rand Paul of Kentucky and Mike Lee of Utah, warned that they would oppose any measures that involved “government surveillance.” While it’s not entirely clear what policy those senators had in mind, the American Civil Liberties Union has raised concerns about both records and background checks. “You just worry that you’re going to see searches of the databases and an expansion for purposes that were not intended when the information was collected,” Chris Calabrese, an ACLU privacy lobbyist, told The Daily Caller last week. Meanwhile, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has made it clear that a “national gun registry” is illegal and won’t be part of any Democratic gun bill.

They might be too broad. Another concern raised by the ACLU’s Calabrese was that, if a “transfer” of guns is defined too broadly, people with good intentions could unwittingly become criminals. “You worry about, in essence, a criminal justice trap where a lawful gun owner who wants to obey the law inadvertently runs afoul of the criminal law. … They don’t intend to transfer a gun or they don’t think that’s what they’re doing, but under the law they can be defined as making a transfer,” Calabrese told The Daily Caller. The Heritage Foundation has said it is wary of any bill that would ban loaning guns to friends at gun ranges or on hunting trips.

***

“There’s nothing in this legislation that addresses the fact pattern at Sandy Hook,” a senior Senate aide told me on the phone.

The aide explains that the bill expands on the background-check system already in place, but that the system doesn’t work properly.

“They are expanding on a broken system that we know will fail,” says the aide…

So how does one explain the legislation? “It’s clearly—Congress wanted to do something after what happened at Sandy Hook,” the aide explains. “They wanted to do something.”

***

The Manchin-Toomey bill would require background checks for people who buy firearms from private sellers (i.e., sellers who are not federally licensed dealers) at gun shows or anywhere else if the transaction is initiated online. Since Manchin describes that requirement as a response to the Sandy Hook massacre, you might reasonably surmise that Lanza bought the rifle he used in the attack from a private seller at a gun show or after seeing it advertised online. But you would be wrong, since the rifle belonged to Lanza’s mother, who purchased it legally from a federally licensed gun dealer after passing a background check. And if Lanza had tried to buy a gun on his own, it looks like he also would have passed a background check, since it seems he did not have a disqualifying criminal or psychiatric record, which is typically the case for mass shooters.

Hence it is hard to see a logical connection between the Newtown murders and the proposal offered by Manchin and Toomey. But that does not matter, because it makes them feel as if they are doing something to prevent such crimes. And isn’t that what laws are for, to make legislators feel better?

***

Universal background checks are a perfectly good idea, except that they won’t stop the burglar who recently cleaned out our house of all our legally purchased rifles and shotguns, including an antique that had belonged to my great-grandfather, who, as sheriff of Barnwell County, S.C., confiscated the gun from the triple murderer he tracked for three days and finally killed. (I want that gun back, please.)…

In a country with an estimated 250 million to 300 million guns, imposing new laws on honest people is problematic and bureaucratically complicated. Add to the conundrum our politics of individual freedom combined with the exploitation of emotion to craft what is likely an impotent solution, and it is little wonder our congressional leadership is bamboozled.

The fact is that crazy people who would commit a Newtown-type massacre constitute an infinitesimal percentage of the population. Criminals will always have guns, as the murderer on death row told me when I first wrote about this issue 30 years ago. And forcing law-abiding gun owners to submit to new regulations will not prevent another Newtown or Aurora or Columbine.

This is not to say we should do nothing. But, lest we delude ourselves, whatever we do we will do because it makes us feel better.

***

Via CNS.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Move in towards the end of next month. No iron at all.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Goodnight, Spritely One! Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Hawk, that is good news. You’re finally ‘settling down’.

‘nough coptering for the world. Though, I hope you will always fly. Nothin’ like it, nothin’.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Fly Me To The Moon – Sinatra

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Tristesse

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Amazing

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Moonlight Mile – Rolling Stones

In case you guys like a little more rock-n-roll with your moonlight.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

The land looks amazing too!

Scrumpy on April 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM

That actually looks much like our property, but all of those pictures are another persons home C and S built. Its just the same model.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Learning to Fly

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

La Cygne – Saint-Saens

A favorite.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I’m just taking a year off. I’m also on call to work for any of the three contracts on the team if someone takes any major time off. I’m going back full time next year in GA.

This is feeling pretty sweet so far though. Like summer vacation.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

A favorite.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

This commenter there sums it up well:

How can someone dislike this song? Everyone has the right to prefer certain types of music, but at a certain point you’ll have to admit that there are some masterpieces that go beyond tastes and this…is one of them!

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Aquarium – Saint-Saens

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Yes…it transports me. :)

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Moonlight Mile – Rolling Stones

In case you guys like a little more rock-n-roll with your moonlight.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

You are amazing.

A few weeks back you were talking about scenic places and mentioned Brookings/Harris and Gold Beach. Our other house is in Brookings. Did you live up there or just vacation? We really like it. The whole west coast of America is pleasant, unfortunately that is where the lib cancer grows.

arnold ziffel on April 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Pleased to read all around. YOU earned it all, no matter what anyone says around here, on good/bad days.

Glad you’ll continue to fly. It’s in the system.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Excellent choice..:)

Dire Straits on April 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM

G nite Scrumpy.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM

arnold ziffel on April 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I’ve lived in many places on the west coast. I love it, but, sadly, you’re right about the wreckage wrought by the liberals. I miss it more than words can tell.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Adagio – Albinoni

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

The same kind of goofs that come here to just be stupid. Youtube is ten times worse. Sometimes I think people just are either tards or can’t help themselves.

arnold ziffel on April 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Serenade – Schubert

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Liebestraum – Liszt

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on April 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Aranjuez

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM

The problem with QORD at night is the time outs to listen to all the music. You guys have some pretty awesome taste.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

SWalker has been banned. He wanted me to let all of you know. You can read his take here.

Resist We Much on April 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Very late to the party. I guess Glenn Reynolds of Istapundit fame would be banned here also. I have seen him ask the question as to whether or not it is hemp and lamppost time on several occasions.

chemman on April 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Nite all.

Hawk, bookmark some :)

SWalker, take it easy and consider it a badge of honor.

Tomorrow night is boycott time.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Adagio/Aranjuez

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM

glenn beck wants to take down the media

many excepts of his talk @twitchy

go ahead click…no lampposts

“We can reinvent the news media and let them put themselves to sleep. It’s time for a NEW MEDIA.” @GlennBeck #BlogCon2013

r keller on April 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Nite everyone.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM

come back soon.

SparkPlug on April 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Tomorrow night is boycott time.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I won’t be here so I guess I can’t be part of the boycott.

I might make it next time. (:

SparkPlug on April 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Why did swalker get banned? Just saw mention of this at the “Palin parts ways with fox” thread.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Folks, I’d like to discuss Sarah Palin’s future as the gop’s key leader. If you want real conservatives back, push her to the front of the party as it’s face and as it’s voice.
hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

The woman is a gimmicky joke who is regarded as a joke by most of the country. Even among conservatives.

She is the last person who we should have as the face of the Republican Party or conservatism.

What about Ted Cruz? Scott Walker? Marco Rubio? Paul Ryan? Susanna Martinez? Rand Paul?

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Mitt Romney is the last person who we should have as the face of the Republican Party or conservatism.

SparkPlug on April 11, 2013 at 4:36 AM

I wrote the following in one of the headline threads. It explains more of my thoughts.

Truth be told, back in 2008 I so wished that Sarah Palin (whom I admire, as most conservatives probably do) could be like our Thatcher. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be. Thatcher was the furthest thing from a quitter, she never played the victim, and she was a brilliant communicator with obvious, genuine conviction and who confronted her critics with great ferocity. Palin is an anti-intellectual who can barely string two sentences together and who runs away from challenging live tv interview situations and often can’t get through a non-scripted event with making a fool of herself.
bluegill on April 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Is there anyone in national politics today who could be seen as our Thatcher? I would argue that Ted Cruz is a more apt comparison. He’s extremely principled and sticks to his guns and is a greater and forceful debater/communicator.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Resist We Much on April 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Ed Morrissey is 100% right. Any reasonable, responsible person will recognize this. On what planet do some of you live on that you think calling for violence is acceptable? Now you are calling Ed a Marxist and a fascist for removing violent comments and for banning people who post them? I know many of you freak out whenever I criticize Palin, and I’ve always thought it was mostly in jest that you mocked me, but now I feel a little uneasy about getting on some you people’s bad sides. I am honestly shocked and disappointed that my fellow HotAir commenters would ever condone this.

Like the rest of you, I was devastated after we lost the election. Heck, I had been a huge Romney supporter since 2007! But we always have to remember that we can always come back. There’s never any use in throwing up our hands and wishing for violence. We must never give up on our country nor sink to the lowest levels in our disappointment.

At one point I was often giving Ed a hard time over his lack of sufficiently strong support for Romney. But that was just a result of my over zealous Romney cheerleading. The truth is that I always had great respect for Ed and his consistently high quality of work published at this blog. Same goes for Allahpundit. Both men (AP is male, right? Hehe) have tremendous integrity and allow us commenters a lot of free range on here. They are the best at what they do, and I couldn’t imagine better bloggers to have on here. Think of all the complaints these two, especially AP, get about their posts. There is always someone complaining about something. The Palinistas are mad that Palin’s latest goofy attention-seeking stunt wasn’t covered here. Bluegill is mad because a post isn’t sufficiently pro-Romney, etc. You get the idea.

I think we all should show these bloggers adequate appreciation for the extremely fine work they do. They have made this blog fun, informative and always good for making is think more deeply about the issues. Let’s all be adults, ok? Let’s try to stop attacking one another for having different opinions. Most of us probably have more in common than not.

With that, I wish you all a wonderful day.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM

By the way, there start of my last comment should be a quote from Resist We Much.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 6:14 AM

My husband and I own guns. I am a strong supporter of the second amendment and I usually agree with the NRA on any gun issue….however, it is worth noting that the public overwhelmingly supports background checks. Even a huge majority of gun owners support background checks. It is always risky to ignore the people.

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Bluegill…no one cares what you think.

You backing Ed is the worst endorsement that he could have..

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Good Morning HA crew

ahhh, turning the channel, morning joe and mika sitting down with VP Joe Gun Control, Gun Control, Gun Control

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Sounds so much like a seminar caller “I am a conservative, I like your show and I voted for Bush… but this time these Republicans have gone too far.. blah blah blah.”

Now stop for a moment…. you have guns? Then you know we already have background checks. We have background checks now. I repeat.. we already right now when you buy a gun .. have background checks.

We have background checks already right now. Did you know that? We have background checks.

Right now when you buy a gun.. you have to go through a background check. So finally.. I just wanted to say.. we have background checks already in place. You can’t buy a gun at a gun shop or gun show today without going through a background check. We have them. It’s the law. They are already in place.

I know congress has a bill they have named called “Background checks.” They want to pass this new law called “background checks.” Well.. whatever it is.. and we don’t know what that law is. We will not know at all what that law really is until it’s passed… but it isn’t “background checks” because we already have that. So this has to be something else.

I realize this new law Democrats and some RINO’s want to pass is called a “background check” law… but we already have a background check law. So this has to be something else.

Just because they name a bill something.. doesn’t mean the actual bill has anything at all to do with what they call it.

For instance The “Affordable HealthCare Act” is actually in the process of making healthcare unaffordable. Even though it has the word ‘affordable” in its name.. it’s making healthcare unaffordable. Shocking, I know.

So.. just because this new law is being called a “background check” law… doesn’t mean that’s what it is. We already have background checks. We already have that. So this is something else.

This is something more diabolical. More invasive. More controlling than just background checks.. because we already have background checks. So they don’t need a new law. We have that law already. So this is something different. But what is it? We won’t know until it’s passed. That is all I can assure you.

JellyToast on April 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Bluegill…no one cares what you think.
You backing Ed is the worst endorsement that he could have..
kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

You and some others here are probably afraid of condemning the violent comments for fear of being seen as not “truly conservative” enough. I would prefer not to have to insult you, but I feel there is no other choice than to call you out out as a joke with zero integrity who wants to be seen as popular above all else.

I think we should all be able to say that any kind of violent comment is utterly unacceptable and there is no justification for it whatsoever. I’m just sorry you can’t bring yourself to acknowledge that obvious fact.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM

JellyToast on April 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I agree with you, my brother.

My take.

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM

But what is it? We won’t know until it’s passed. That is all I can assure you.

JellyToast on April 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

scary

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM

You have issues.

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM

JellyToast on April 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I think you’re right. You guys should go read Ted Cruz’s take on this in the other thread. He explains it very well.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM

excellent KJ

the lib mantra, we’re not going to take your guns away is pure bull…

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Outside of the media spin that this was all Manchin being bipartisan (with no mention of Schumers fingerprints all over this crap), guess what they are calling it? The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.

Two points.

First, why can’t we see what is in this bill? Put it on line and let the public see the details. Why do we have to wait until the Senate votes on this to see what rights Manchin/Schumer/Toomey/Kirk have decided to deny American citizens?

Secondly, our Second Amendment rights are already protected….. It’s called the Second Amendment. I get very angry when somebody like Schumer decideds to tinker with them.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

someone made a comment or was it in the green room headlines that CNN was the gun control network yesterday…boy they were not kidding, everytime I switched the channel it was all about gun control and their advocates…

unstinkingbelievable…

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM

sorry it was in the headlines…the piers morgan channel…

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM

You have issues.

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Understatement.

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM

the libs really think this bill will keep the guns out of the hands of criminals or won’t create a registry???

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I know. It was either that, or go completely off on her, and get myself banned.

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM

morning B9 :)

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013

…CAN YOU BELIEVE…WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ^ ^ ^ THIS^ ^ ^ SH!T????

KOOLAID2 on April 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

good points

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013

…constantly crapping in Ed’s house!

KOOLAID2 on April 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM

GM KJ!
I know..wise choice..he ain’t worth it.

Morning CMS! Rock sistah.

Y’all have a good day!

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Ted Turner would be spinning in his grave if he saw what CNN has become. :-)

Seriously, what a dramatic downfall for a once-great news outlet. They went from being the pioneers in the genre to being a joke watched by a few ideologues and air travelers trapped in terminals throughout the world. How Wolf Blitzer can look himself in the mirror is beyond my understanding.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Ann Coulter might also get (rightly) banned from HotAir if she posted the kind of joke she included in her latest column:

Obama has been draping himself in families of the children murdered in Newtown.

MSNBC’s Martin Bashir suggested that Republican senators need to have a member of their families killed for them to support the Democrats’ gun proposals. (Let’s start with Meghan McCain!)

I normally adore Ann. It pains me that she does this stuff. It’s so unnecessary. It overshadows so much of the great stuff she writes. This makes it so easy for her critics to dismiss her. Ugh, and I can’t stand Meghan McCain.

Can people please realize that suggesting someone be killed is totally unacceptable? I know the left does it all the time. Look at the trash partying over Thatcher’s passing. We are right to attack them for that kind of behavior. But we shouldn’t engage in anything close to it ourselves. It is never okay.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM

What passes for news outlets and journalism these days
is sadly hysterical and dangerous.
I watch none anymore-unless it is a debate.
Even then..I usually live stream it if possible.
Nothing more then a propaganda machine and filled with idiots.
That includes my local news. Even the weatherman sucks. :)
A shooting happened in my neighborhood a few years back-reporter came up to me to *ask* me some questions..I looked at her and laughed.
Said..I do’t talk to the so called “media.” Walked back in my house.

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM

yepper…still upset that tapper went over there for a 4pm time slot??
*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

good for you

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Said..I do’t talk to the so called “media.” Walked back in my house.
bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Wow, you are really hardcore anti-journalist. There are some good reporters out there. Why not give the good ones praise and encourage the good reporting that happens. Hiding from the media and refusing to get your voice out there doesn’t seem like a good strategy.

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM

NO. I hope Castro,lil’ Kim and Dinner Jacket croak…and not in a pleasant way. I could name more.
Was calling for Bin Ladens death acceptable to you?

Oh yeah and Sarah Palin!! I just finished polishing my SP statue.

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

yepper…still upset that tapper went over there for a 4pm time slot??
*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I’m holding fire until I see if they let Tapper be Tapper or if he will ultimately go Candy Crowley on us.

But, the day is looking up! Just saw over on Drudge that Jerimiah Wright’s daughter just got indicted for money laundering. Who could have seen something like that happening? ;0

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

So the National Gun Registry Common Sense Background Check now has the green light despite the fact that everyone agrees it won’t have any effect at all on the type of murderous events used to promote it’s necessity.

Gee, I wonder what happens next?

“Mr. Holder, assemble your team. The mission is a go.”

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

There are a few and when they do there job I do praise them.
The majority are a joke.
You were not there and I wasnt playing race card with her…so STFU.
Don’t lecture me, nut ball.

take your own advice about posters here and Palin,Levin
and everyone you trash instead of the leftist scum.

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Stepping over the bluegill droppings again…

Aitch748 on April 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Nothing more then a propaganda machine and filled with idiots.
That includes my local news. Even the weatherman sucks. :)

bazil9 on April 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

IMO, one of the biggest problems is that the so-called journalists have all the depth of a dime. They end up spouting propaganda because they are too damned superficial to actually bother with researching an issue and asking legitimate questions or presenting a balanced story.

The so-called bipartisan bill on expanded background checks is a perfect example. Four Senators were involved including one (Schumer) who was deliberately kept in the background because his name alone is toxic for “bipartisanship.” Well, on most outlets this morning you would think that Manchin rolled up his sleeves, hitched up his overalls, and single-handedly got this bill crafted. No mention of Toomey, Kirk, or Schumer. A decent journalist wouldn’t be relying on DNC talking points to fill out their reports.

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

ooopsie

cmsinaz on April 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It wasn’t about the intent of the comment, it was about the liability of it. There is a big difference in some of the commenters here and the ones over in the lefty blogospere, we here understand what is really at stake, we are also prepared to resist at all cost, they ain’t, they will show their soft underbellies to their masters and be willing slaves. However, there is on the right side a fear that a far right fringe element will start something and cause great discomfort to those on the center right. Of course we have seen this before, back in 1775 same issues, same ugliness. H@ll the election of 1828 saw a President go into office a widow at the hands of his opponents, I think it a bit naive to think that some of the comments posted here are that heinous, alas we have lost a friend, and an unfiltered champion of freedom.

MarshFox on April 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

There is so much wrong with Wright…

Jeri Wright of Hazel Crest is accused of helping former Country Club Hills Police Chief Regina Evans convert fake paychecks from Evans’ nonprofit to Evans’ personal use, allegedly hiding money that was supposed to be used to train minority and female workers in the building trades.

Federal prosecutors in the Illinois’ central district say Jeri Wright received about $28,000 in grant-tied paychecks in 2009, but $20,000 of that was deposited back into accounts controlled by Evans. Prosecutors also say Wright then lied to officers and a grand jury.

The charges emerge about a year after Evans was charged with fraud in relation to a $1.25 million job training grant awarded to her nonprofit, We Are Our Brothers Keeper.

BTW~ Windows 8 sucks… big time.

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

See, that’s why it’s not named, We Are Our Sisters Keeper. :)

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Is it two wrongs make a Wright or two Wrights make a wrong?

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Gee, I wonder what happens next?

“Mr. Holder, assemble your team. The mission is a go.”

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM

This will help the idiot Holder along: (Missouri) Highway Patrol Gave Feds Missouri Weapon Permits Data

This is how it will be done, by playing the loopholes, state by state.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

JellyToast on April 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Great way to make your point! Kinda what the libs. do-repeat over and over and people start to believe it even if its a lie. I hope in this case it works. The Reps. need to follow your lead :)

wolverinefan on April 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

This is how it will be done, by playing the loopholes, state by state.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

From your link:

Under Missouri law, the names of concealed weapon permit holders are confidential. The only place in Missouri where the names of all concealed carry permit holders is stored is among driver license records. Permit holders have a special mark on their licenses indicating they have been granted the privilege of carrying a gun.

The list was given to the Social Security Administration Office of Inspector General, Schaefer said he was told.

“Apparently from what I understand, they wanted to match up anyone who had a mental diagnosis or disability with also having a concealed carry license,” Schaefer said. “What I am told is there is no written request for that information.”

This happened without the cryptically written Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act
that is being shoved down our throats considered in the Senate.

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Media Working Hand in Glove with Democrats on Gun Legislation

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

That title should be quoted. I need to slow down my trigger finger…

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

(In my best pouty spoiled voice)

I want a non-profit job where I can make 1.5 million dollars and write my own bad checks.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:20 AM

They’re already conducted.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

bluegill on April 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Someone throw some water on my reel before it burns up!

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I want non-profit tax loopholes closed. I can’t stand how many organizations (including the large foundations) avoid taxes for their various pet causes. Tax everything over $3 million. That’s all these foundations really need, I mean, “to accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of charity” is patently unfair to smaller charities who don’t have the means…

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Bluegill…no one cares what you think.

You backing Ed is the worst endorsement that he could have..

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

THAT !!!

conservative tarheel on April 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Fallon on April 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hmm, that’s a great thought about the size of the coffer. You’re way smarter on the subject than me.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

This is how it will be done, by playing the loopholes, state by state.

slickwillie2001 on April 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Saw that about ten minutes after I posted.

Why would the left accept such a watered down bill? Because it gives them exactly what they wanted all along. The saddest part is that the GOP falls for this sh!t every. single. time.

ROCnPhilly on April 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Happy Nomad on April 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Haven’t checked if there is any more info on this “proposal” but as of yesterday this is what is out there.

Sen. Cornyn of TX just finished speaking and he said there is no bill and evidently there are other proposals and various amendments. But to what? Who knows.

C-Span 2, Senate live now. Some kind of vote is coming up at 11 AM.
Most likely it’s a cloture vote to move the “bill”/”proposals” forward.

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Also Live on C-span 2.

Cloture vote in progress.

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

UPDATE: FILIBUSTER KILLED – U.S. Sens. Lee, Paul, Cruz: Senate to vote on gun bill no one has read

Apr 11, 2013 11:26 AM | 2 Comments

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Final Vote on Cloture which passed. Yes-68 No-31

S. 649 Firearms Bill

C-span just said that 16 R’s voted yes. They also have the Roll Call votes on line.

bluefox on April 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Thanks to Lee, Paul, Cruz, and the brave few for trying. They did all they could do.

MelonCollie on April 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

williamg, take it easy. I’m not your problem.

Schadenfreude on April 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

No, you’re not – you’re seriously one of the best people here, and I hope my little ribbing was taken in the good humor it was intended.

Secondly seriously, though – it’s a tough call as to who has a better and broader taste in music here: you or Jackie. You’re both educated in the Classics, Jazz, Folk and the full range of the roots of American Eclectic Music……..which resonates with me. 4000 record albums, 10,000 CDs, former Radio DJ – and no time these days to really enjoy that part of my life. That’s why it’s nice to see/hear someone else delving into that flow of consciousness…..and (*cut to the “warm showers until the wee hours of the morning” line*)……..you’re a gem!

Axe and SWalker have incredible tastes, as well……

williamg on April 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hot Air community,

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but to those who would be inclined…

My wife is very sick.

She’s been fighting some intestinal thing. It’s hard for her to eat and she hasn’t been sleeping well amongst other things.

Her immune system isn’t the strongest after all the years of her fighting cancer and the chemo.

Just ask for prayers of healing.

Thanks.

Good Night, Hot Air. See you tomorrow.

catmman on April 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Prayers on the way. Here is a Bahai healing prayer:

“Thy name is my healing, O my God, and remembrance of Thee is my remedy.
Nearness to Thee is my hope, and love for Thee is my companion.
Thy mercy to me is my healing and my succor in both this world and the world to come.
Thou, verily, art the All-Bountiful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

Bahá’u’lláh”