Pat Toomey’s reward: Bloomberg’s gun-control group drops attack ad, runs favorable ad in PA instead

posted at 8:01 pm on April 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

As John Ekdahl says, it’s awfully hard not to see a cynical motive in a conservative senator from a blue state suddenly “evolving” on gun control. I can’t believe I’m saying this after spending years rooting for Toomey primary challenges to Arlen Specter, but … is someone going to end up primarying Pat Toomey? Or will Pennsylvania conservatives follow the Scott Brown rule and stay out of his way in the belief/knowledge that no one they nominate will have a better chance of winning their state than the current somewhat unsatisfactory Republican incumbent?

Matt Lewis identifies Toomey and immigration point man Marco Rubio as part of a new “Teastablishment” vanguard:

This gives me two immediate thoughts: First, if Pat Toomey were going to be a standard Republican who works across the aisle to forge compromises with Democrats anyway, then why did conservatives expend so much energy trying to elect him (and oust another Republican senator with more experience)?

Granted, you may say that Toomey has to move to the center in order to win re-election in 2016. But one could also have used that excuse to forgive Specter’s penchant for bipartisan compromise.

The second thing this highlights is that all the worry about those “crazy” and extreme conservative tea party candidates elected to the U.S. senate in 2010 was overwrought.

Yay, I guess?

Two clips for you, first the ad that the Bloomberg gun-control group started running in PA a week ago and, via the Daily Caller, the one they’re running today. I hope Toomey knows what he’s doing: The way Tom Coburn’s talking, it sounds like the new bill’s in for a chilly reception among Republicans because of its provisions about record-keeping. But Toomey can live with that. If the point here is to lighten the load of being a red senator in a blue state, what better way than to be crossways with the rest of the party on a high-profile issue? If it passes, it’s a bipartisan feather in his cap. If it fails, he’s a “different kind of Republican.” Smart politics either way. Unless, er, he gets primaried.

Update: Conservative opposition to starting debate on a bill is relenting:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lay with camels, wake up with fleas

WryTrvllr on April 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Primary Toomey! If Nanny Bloomberg likes him, he can’t be all good.

rbj on April 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

That Constitution thing? It’s alive and it’s whatever they say it it.

Due process? We’re lawyers and we don’t give a damn. That sort of thing is an illusion for the proles.

And the rest of us? As someone has said the last few days, if the Founders were alive today, they’d already be shooting.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Primary Toomey! If Nanny Bloomberg likes him, he can’t be all good.

rbj on April 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

You go girley!

WryTrvllr on April 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

is someone going to end up primarying Pat Toomey?

I sure as heck hope so, and Rubio too!

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

QUISLING!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

2016 is a presidential election year.

Unless the GOP suddenly becomes stronger in purple and blue states in presidential election years – not at all likely at the rate we’re going – Pat Toomey (as well as Ron Johnson, Rob Portman, Mark Kirk, and Marco Rubio, should he end up off the presidential ticket) is going to be in mortal danger.

If Pennsylvania Republicans decide to primary him for bringing out a bill this weak and nonthreatening, they’re even stupider than Republicans in Delaware, Nevada, and my own state of New York. PA conservatives should feel lucky that they have good conservatives in statewide office.

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Will they be repealing the Second Amendment…or just restricting it..?

d1carter on April 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

PA may be a blue state but it is very, very pro gun….So I need to know WHY IN THE HELL IS TOOMEY DOING THIS? WTF..???

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Toomey is already ensuring he loses the next election, If I was in PA as a voter.

Pro-gun people dont vote in people who infringe upon their constitutional rights. Making a law that requires me to background-check someone to sell a legal product like a rifle, handgun or shotgun as a private citizen is a traitor.

TX-96 on April 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Remember when he was possibly one of the good ones? Sell principles for a maybe vote boost?.. Hell’s yeah!!

They’re all lizard people underneath their costumes.

Mimzey on April 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

If we’ve gotten to the point of having to rely on Coburn, we’ve already lost.

bofh on April 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I live in Pennsylvania and I can’t say I ever saw the first Toomey ad Bloomberg’s group put out, so I’m not so sure that it figured prominently in his calculus here.

If this is as far as his pandering “moderation” goes, I’ll give him a pass (as this type of legislation is going nowhere). Regardless, I guarantee Toomey won’t face a meaningful primary challenge. For starters, Pennsylvania has a relatively shallow Republican bench.

Speaking of primaries, I’d be keeping my eye on the 2014 gubernatorial race. Corbett is in deep trouble in the general and everyone, of both parties, knows it.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Here comes the RINOs to assure us that no matter…..just .SUPPORT THE GOP….Forget your Principles..These freaking RINOs would be supporting Hillary Clinton if she ran on the GOP ticket….because she’s ELECTABLE…. That’s all they care about….principles be damned.

This is regress, not progress, and the GOP has already paid a severe price for the Faustian bargain of “electability” they tried to get with RINO Mitt. A party that chooses power over principle will lose both.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM

F off, Toomey. My constitutional rights are not bargaining chips for you to use to keep your job.

Resist We Much on April 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

That’s what we all said about Obamacare…and see how that turned out.

BTW why is Corbett in deep trouble? Because of the Penn state child abuse scandal?

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

If we’ve gotten to the point of having to rely on Coburn, we’ve already lost.

bofh on April 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think it’s about time that more people acknowledge the truth, that Sandy Hook happened, and Obama, sickening slime that he is, is an expert in the art of the bully pulpit and controls the media as a puppetmaster.

We keep hearing that the only thing people seem to agree upon (and yes, 90% is “agreement”) is expanding background checks. That’s happening whether we like it or not; better it be on our terms than theirs. (Personally, I like the idea of expanding checks to open-market sales. As it stands now, the rules place an unfair burden on traditional gun stores, and there’s no way in all our lifetimes and beyond that we’re going to remove all background checks.)

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

As far as I can remember, this is Toomey’s first real heresy to date. He has a 100% rating from the ACU and was ranked the 4th most conservative Senator (behind Risch, Cornyn, and DeMint).

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Bloomie ‘dorsement?

Kiss. Of. Death.

novaculus on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

C’mon, West Virginia. Do the right thing and get rid of Manchin. We’ll worry about Toomey in 2016.

SouthernGent on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Meanwhile the AFL-CIO demands that if the vote for immigration doesn’t go their way they will steamroll the politicians who vote against it…

Where’s the NRA? Where’s the groups THAT DEFEND OUR IDEOLOGIES?!

Skywise on April 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hey rubes, if you need to give up your guns so GOP reps can keep their seats then that is the price that must be paid.

Don’t worry, at some unspecified future date all these unconstitutional regs will be rolled back. Pinkie swear.

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

As far as I can remember, this is Toomey’s first real heresy to date.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Attacking the 2nd amendment is a violation of the oath he took to defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Toomey has disqualified himself for office.

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I don’t care if someone primaries Toomey, or not, but I’m not voting for Toomey, no matter what. I won’t be voting in those primaries as my GOP registration days are done. Toomey is dead to me.

I’m highly unlikely to vote for any GOP PA Senate candidate. I don’t trust any of them. I just want that dirtbag party to die soon so a true conservative, American party can have a shot. Until then, I’m pretty much done.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

CRONY CAPITALISM.

Hmmm. I wonder who said that:)

renalin on April 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

SouthernGent on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Manchin is not up again until…er…2018.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Not really, though the new lib Dem AG is on a witch hunt against him because of that. It has more to do with education funding and other liberal causes célebres (more specifically, how legislative standoffs were spun by the local media). Budget battles over the past few years have really taken a toll on his approval numbers. A lot of Republicans (in true Pennsylvania fashion) are talking of mounting an insurrection against him.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Toomey is a Bloomturd!

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

After the Penn State screwup, I really hope you guys are working overtime to find a replacement. Somebody with a good name and strong ties to the state.

I wonder if Lynn Swann would take another shot at the brass ring?

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

He’s really not. Barky is awful at advocating for anything. He’s an idiot and his words don’t even move the America-haters that worship his 84 IQ points. He’s just lucky that the GOP likes to surrender in front of the French.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Is this how it works?

I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you!

IlikedAUH2O on April 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Bloomblob is pounding Georgia with that piece of crap. He knows that both Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson can be had.

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I wonder if Lynn Swann would take another shot at the brass ring?

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

He only lost by er…21 points last time he ran…So why not?

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So Toomey is going to take Olympia Snow’s place?

Vote for an ineffectual law……but it will make people “feel good”.

YEAH, THEY’LL “FEEL GOOD” WHEN THE NEXT SHOOTING BY A DERANGED PERSON OCCURS. AND BE LEFT SCRATCHING THEIR DUMB ASSES!

GarandFan on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

By the way, Toomey was always more of a Club for Growth type than a straight-up Tea Party candidate.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

With Obama it’s a cult of personality… He can sound like Alvin Greene and he would still be their Messiah. It’s what he “represents” more then anything else.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

A gun show is simply a gathering of private citizens advertising and selling their wares, no different than a garage sale or flea market. Of course all the usual suspects line up behind expanding background checks to transactions at gun shows as if there aren’t myriad ways around it.

Give an inch and the fascists will take a mile, and kick you in the teeth on the way out. Why surrender EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM

To call these guys RINO’s is an insult to rhinos. How about scum sucking, $hit eating turncoats.

DDay on April 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So he was a phony from the beginning, then? Now Toomey is a Schumer/Bloomturd kind of Republican, AKA RINO traitor.

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Now that Toomey will be funded by Bloomturd there’s no need for anybody to send him anymore donations. Toomey probably fancies himself as part of the elite, now, and doesn’t require your pittances anymore.

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

He only lost by er…21 points last time he ran…So why not?

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Since when did actual electoral success become one of your standards?

Of course, I’m only basing that on pretty much every candidate you’ve supported ever.

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I wonder if Lynn Swann would take another shot at the brass ring?

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I think Corbett being blamed for Penn State, to the extent that Pennsylvanians do hold him responsible, is more a case of piling on than anything else. Corbett was already in trouble long before the scandal even broke.

I’m sure Kathleen Kane will make it more of an issue closer to the election if it seems Corbett could hang on. Our best hope is that the Dems run Philadelphia abortionist Allyson Schwartz as their gubernatorial candidate.

I’m not so sure Lynn Swann is a good idea (I think he lost by 20 points last time he ran).

Anyway, I’m moving to New York tomorrow, so Corbett’s fate is entirely out of my hands.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Those thirty pieces of silver should go a long way Mr. Toomey.

Rovin on April 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Since when did actual electoral success become one of your standards?

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You are the one always analyzing every candidate by electablity, so it seems strange you would pick a candidate that got crushed by even more then Santorum in PA. Btw in PA, with the exception of the AG, all statewide offices are held by republicans.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I hated that stupid ad they were running against Toomey. That guy who “would fight to defend the second amendment” (my ass, he would) was an actor dressed like what Bloomsburg thought a gun owner should look like – namely a redneck with a pickup truck who lives in a shack.

Eff these douchebags.

DRayRaven on April 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

How about Linda Kelly? The former AG. She was quite popular, can’t she make a run at it?

Wow really you’re moving to a deep blue state eh? You must be a glutton for punishment.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Doesn’t matter to some people. RINO, turncoat, traitor, scum: no epithet is too good for someone who dares deviate even once. Absolute purity is expected or the rather hollow and over-early yells of “Primary him!”

thebrokenrattle on April 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Well, if I were Bloomberg, and I wanted to keep Toomey in the senate, I would also endorse him…..

WryTrvllr on April 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

And have AP run a piece like this……

WryTrvllr on April 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Politically, this is a good move. Republicans get to block the heat from the MSM about gun control and can paint those who want to go further as gun grabbers in the midterms. Also, anyone who thinks you can do better than Toomey in PA is smoking some good stuff.

Cornell Conservative on April 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

For the record, I was joking about Swann, though I suppose one could make the case that he ran against a popular incumbent in a bluish state in one of the most anti-GOP elections in recent memory. But that’s neither here nor there.

And Pennsylvania’s statewide offices are indeed held by Republicans elected in the 2010 sweep, yes.

And as 2012 showed us quite vividly, the GOP’s not very good in the on years right now. So unless you can come up with someone better than Toomey, who won by a narrow margin in 2010, maybe you should put the shotgun away and cease the RINO hunt in unfamiliar woods.

Since you’re

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Don’t believe it. This thing is going to pass; it’s already in the tank. If the Republicans really opposed it, we would be seeing “unnamed Republican sources” and “top Republican strategists” running to NRO, Weekly Standard and Politico criticizing Toomey. We were pretty much on the cusp of absolutely shutting the whole enchilada down and Toomey basically rescued Obama and Reid, and apparently the Republicans are quietly supporting it. Unbelievable.

I have to say, one of the few good things about amnesty will be watching the Republican party be absolutely wiped out in 2016. They richly deserve it.

Doomberg on April 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Totally agree about primary for Toomey. There is no bench in PA. If anyone is in danger of a primary it would be Corbett but I can’t think of anyone up to the task. The only possible exception there might have been Toomey who, prior to this week, had the highest approvals in the state.

I didn’t see any ads from Bloomberg and I am in the Philly burbs. If there was a section of the state where gun control might help Toomey it would be here in the burbs. Republicans ran the risk with 90% public support for background checks the media would point their fingers when the next inevitable mass shooting occurred. There is no way any legislation will prevent the next shooting but lets get real the media is always dying to find a way to hang them on Republicans anyway. This whole thing is going nowhere but vulnerable R’s like my Congressman are being targeted by Pelosi and her Majority PAC. Toomey cooking up the weakest possible background check legislation gives them a chance to weigh and say they support it.

msmveritas on April 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Toomey was one of those dining with Obama when Rand Paul was on the Senate floor for 13 hours to defending our rights.

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Since you’re

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

For the record, I am not calling for a primary of Toomey, he is fine with me. I was merely listing possible candidates for the Governorship in 2014.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Bloomberg supports Toomey because he’s a RINO that has caved and is pandering to the left. People like Toomey must be replaced.

rplat on April 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Doomberg on April 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No. No. don’t hold back. What do you REALLY mean?

WryTrvllr on April 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Quid pro Quo Pat?

So you sell out your constituents and the Second Amendment of our Constitution for what? What was your price?

Does Pat even know what’s in the bill? Doubt it- it has not been written yet. But he’s all for it.

By the way Pat- can you explain what definitions or conditions will qualify someone as “mentally ill” under this bill? Can you advise how that definition will be applied by this administration? If someone is seek help for depression or is prescribed one of the very common medicines to treat those and other conditions are they now..mentally ill? Really?

The history of this administration and Democrats in the Senate over the last 8 years is they’ve broken just about very promise they’ve made. They’ve fiscally destroyed this country and grabbed more individual rights than any in history.

And now you’ve thrown in with them. Another Vichyy Republican whose found his price.

Marcus Traianus on April 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

FloatingRock on April 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

To be fair, Toomey did make his way down to the Senate floor after the petit fours were served.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Let’s not forget that Pat Toomey led the Club for Growth. He’s a true fiscal conservative. He’s also conservative on other issues. If he abandoned the Second Amendment he would lose re-election in PA. The state may be very blue in the Southeastern quadrant, but it is solid red in the “T” section and even the bluish Southwestern quadrant has an awful lot of hunters.

The NRA may oppose the bill on general principles, but it offers an excellent chance to smoke out red state Democrat Senators for 2014. Reid is trying to protect his majority by keeping them from having to take tough votes. We let the Dems take winnable seats in 2010 and 2012. We can’t make that mistake in 2014. Toomey is not Specter. Arlen Specter was a disloyal, cynical, utterly amoral snake. Pat Toomey is a strong voice for fiscally conservative policies.

Jill1066 on April 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Pat Toomey’s political career is over. You reap what you sow.

jdun on April 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Pennsylvania may be a real and true blue state now, but it’s not Massachusetts.

And if you were going to pick one issue to move left on to become a Good Republican in Pennsylvania, it would not be guns.

HitNRun on April 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

NRA opposed the bill because the hive mind demand it. It has nothing to do with trickery or wanting to win 2014 senate race. If the NRA did not, there won’t be a NRA anymore.

Pat Toomey career is over. You can take that to the bank.

jdun on April 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Update: Conservative opposition to starting debate on a bill is relenting:

Sen. Mike Lee says will not block debate on the shrunken gun control measure, which is now just watered-down background checks. Smart move.

— Brit Hume (@brithume) April 10, 2013

Actually, Lee just clearly stated he is going to filibuster whatever the gun bill is tomorrow. Not mentioned in this entire post is the FACT that there is no bill for ANYONE to read! All conjecture and inside the beltway crap. Does anyone else here see a connection between the positions of Allahpundit and Carl Rove?

Freddy on April 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Someone needs to ask Pat two simple questions after he’s played tonsil hockey with Joe Manchin.

“You think your esteemed colleague gives a damn about working with you? If Joe had any dirt on you, do you suppose he’d keep it to himself?”

Working with the other side gets us nowhere. They are not interested in working with us. They simply want to lead us around by the nose until they have an opening to destroy us.

CurtZHP on April 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

mountainaires on April 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Bye, bye, Patty.

Isn’t he up for election in 2014?

stenwin77 on April 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Pat Toomey career is over. You can take that to the bank.

jdun on April 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The NRA is a single issue group – this is part of its staying power – they back candidates from either side as long as they are faithful supporters of the 2nd amendment. If both candidates are 2nd amendment supporters, the NRA normally backs the incumbent although in the Harry Reid/Sharon Angle race they chose to stay neutral.

If Pat Toomey’s career is over then we can all kiss the Senate goodbye for quite some time. We should have a natural majority with the number of red states in the US. We can’t win in blue states under normal circumstances. If we keep spotting the Dems seats in red states and eating our own in blue/purple states then it’s going to be very hard to fight really bad Dem legislation.

Jill1066 on April 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Saw the ad in question today.

Don’t care, Toomey is dead to me.

Sir Napsalot on April 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Well, now everyone knows what’s needed to make Pat Toomey completely forget about the U.S. Constutution: Moronic attack ads and White House dinners.

I won’t be voting for the putz next time around. Neither will the wife.

ROCnPhilly on April 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

thebrokenrattle

Ahh yes, the purity argument. Because all deviations are equal.

xblade on April 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Which is absolute B.S. That’s the MSM narrative. There is nothing in the Constitution that requires one to go through hurdles to exercise ones rights.

chewmeister on April 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

with a hard left media is it surprising? You know, like the scared, quivering little male-type journo who screwed up what small courage he had to fire a gun…and was rather proud that he wasn’t the one to scream and drop the gun like a fellow ‘journo’ did

pathetic little men and women have taken over the power of the media, and they are scared of guns and hate them. So how many people in PA know anything about the current gun laws? And background checks?

we have leftist push polling that regularly say that people want back ground checks…well..we have them.

Leftists love to portray the nation as a wild west shootem up, with a third world medical system. And the buckets of profession leftists like bloomberg and soros along with their propagandists can beat anyone like a drum.

so pols…..listen up..better pay tribute to the aristocracy now, otherwise they’ll fire you

r keller on April 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I wonder if Lynn Swann would take another shot at the brass ring?

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

The “Penn State screwup” as you call it, started way before Corbett was elected. Get a clue.

chewmeister on April 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

chewmeister on April 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The Commonwealth’s investigation into the abuse allegations began under Corbett’s tenure as Attorney General. That charges weren’t filed until he became Governor is used by his opponents to paint him as either negligent or aiding a cover-up.

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Maybe you guys can get Christine O’Donnell to move to Pennsylvania and take out Toomey. She is already well known to Philly area voters.

rockmom on April 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Watching the RINOs fall on the issues and their swords, one by one.

“The gop fell apart because of Conservatives.”

Yep

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

And the AG reports to the governor. Where does Rendell fit in to this?

chewmeister on April 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

And the AG reports to the governor. Where does Rendell fit in to this?

chewmeister on April 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Probably somewhere behind the scenes, you can be sure — Rendell is one in a long line of Dem slimeballs in PA. And AG Kathleen Kane has been on a vendetta to get Corbett regarding Penn State ever since she was elected. She makes no secret about it.

PatriotGal2257 on April 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Thanks. Doing my own thinking makes my brain hurt. Oddly though, the removal of the anti-American treaty supporting Lugar from the senate is still somewhat comforting. Can you help me get my mind right on that one?

wolfsDad on April 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Ahh yes, the purity argument. Because all deviations are equal.

xblade on April 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Which deviations are forgivable and which aren’t?

thebrokenrattle on April 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Primary Toomey! If Nanny Bloomberg likes him, he can’t be all any good.

rbj on April 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

…a couple of your ll‘s were wrong! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Jill1066 on April 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It doesn’t matte what the NRA think. It doesn’t matter if we win the Senate or not. It doesn’t matter if we keep the house or not.

What matter are the voters. Mitt didn’t get into the WH because he was anti-gun. The gun community hive mind deem him to be a traitor.

You have to understand the gun community will punish anyone that goes against the interest of the community. That’s how the hive mind works.

jdun on April 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

steebo77 on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

thebrokenrattle on April 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

You forget just a couple months ago Mr. Club for Growth voted to raise taxes.

OliverB on April 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

KingGold on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yeah, because if 90% of the people think that killing kittens, beating up old folks, and throwing hemlock into the great lakes is a great idea we should just go along. Ever read any of the Federalist papers? Or did you just skip that part about tyranny of the majority?

OliverB on April 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

You forget just a couple months ago Mr. Club for Growth voted to raise taxes.

OliverB on April 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Does that mean he should be primaried (and if he wins, stay home)?

thebrokenrattle on April 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

You forget just a couple months ago Mr. Club for Growth voted to raise taxes.

OliverB on April 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Does that mean he should be primaried (and if he wins, stay home)?

thebrokenrattle on April 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I’m a little confused by the jumbling of your words, excuse me. Are you saying Toomey should stay home if he wins his primary or the voter with moral convictions should stay home if Toomey wins a contested primary? I suppose with the former it makes as much sense as your naïve outrage over how a man has chosen to cast his one vote or not to cast his one vote. I do know though that if I was out knocking on doors, making phone calls on his behalf, and raising and donating money to a man that I believed as he stated, shared my values; I would be rather upset. No?

OliverB on April 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

P-toomey!

profitsbeard on April 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM

What is the point in primarying him? You would just end up pissing and moaning about the next guy too. After all, any politician who does not tow the line 100% of the time and answer only to his own echo chamber is a traitor…right?

BTW, more than 80% of gun owners support background checks…that might not be 80% of the TruCon bloggers…but they in turn do not represent as many people as they think they do.

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I live in PA and I saw that first ad more than I can count.
Toomey can go pound sand. He’s lost my vote as has the loser we elected as governor.

tyketto on April 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM

And? So what? Does that make them effective? Does that make them ok? Does that make them magically prevent a shooting like Connecticut?

Hint: the answer is no.

tyketto on April 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Say, how’d that Scott Brown rule work out for Scott Brown? Oh yeah, he lost the next election anyway.

Odysseus on April 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Had you not been a longtime poster, I’d have been certain you were a liberal troll with that crack. Good lord. I am so glad I don’t share a party with you people anymore.

Doomberg on April 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

BTW, more than 80% of gun owners support background checks

And 90% want to solve world hunger.

See what I did there?

The questions in these surveys are very carefully worded to produce a desire result. Unless you produce the survey link so people can read the fundamentals your point is moot.

Notwithstanding the fact we have not read the bill and therefore are unable to scrutinize the language, such a survey has no real value to the discussion.

What’s happening is that opponents are taking a reasonable, intellectually formulated point; that gun owners support a background check at point of sale from a licensed FFL, and turning into support for this bill. That’s not only dishonest, it’s fallacious.

If you were to word the survey differently to state; do you support background check on all private and public sales, support increased taxes for those purchases and support the ability to produce a registry of those gun owners- those survey results would show a very different result. That’s before we get to the expanded definition of who is disqualified under the “mental health” provisions.

What Democrats have done over the years is completely abused every “agreement” they’ve had with Republicans. That’s simply fact, not hyperbole. They’ve also rammed through their agenda in tyrannical fashion during times of majority.

So conclusively, Mr. Toomey is either extraordinarily foolish or has demurred to the party of destruction in a calculated attempt to somehow boost his political prospects. That’s not only bad for Pennsylvania, but it’s bad for our country.

I believe a poster said it best above; Pennsylvania is not as “purple” as people believe. And if there is one issue which will unite them, it is an attack on the Second Amendment.

Mr. Toomey will put his own political future in jeopardy with this miscalculation.

Marcus Traianus on April 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Terrye on April 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM

How many times does someone have to tell this person ^^ we already have background checks?

It’s amazing some people think we don’t.

darwin on April 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM