Cruz: Obama’s gun-control push is going to cost Democrats the Senate in 2014

posted at 5:21 pm on April 10, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

When it comes to his handling of the raging gun-control debate, at least, President Obama’s approval rate has been dipping — and Sen. Ted Cruz is thinking that the president’s relentless, brazen demagoguery on the issue is probably doing the Democrats more harm than good. More gun control from the federal government isn’t exactly going to help red-state Democratic incumbents maintain their seats, after all. Via The Hill:

“I think the president has shown he is willing to demagogue an issue and that it is ultimately going to backfire,” Cruz said in an interview on Laura Ingraham’s radio show. …

“In fact, in my view, as a result of their onslaught on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, I think there’s going to be a very significant consequence in 2014,” Cruz added. “I think as a result of this fight that President Obama is picking, I think the stage is set for Republicans to take control of the United States Senate because of this fight right now, because of coming after the right to keep and bear arms of peaceful law-abiding Americans. I think a number of red state Democrats who are up for reelection in 2014 are going to lose their seats and I think they should.”

It definitely looks like the Second Amendment is going to be playing a revamped role in the upcoming midterms — a potential problem there being that the best way to make that happen might be to force said red-state Democrats to go on the record with a vote, and Sen. Cruz and others have said that they’ll “oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions.” As assuredly epic as another #StandWithRand-type filibuster would be, Allahpundit pointed out yesterday that the even more strategic move for the GOP might be letting the Democratic caucus squirm over those hard votes. The WSJ, for their part, wasn’t pleased about the prospect of a filibuster on the issue:

In an instant, these GOP wizards have taken the onus off Senate Democrats and made Republicans the media’s gun-control focus. Mr. Reid is now bellowing about Republicans blocking a vote, and Democrats such as Mark Pryor (Arkansas), Mary Landrieu (Louisiana) and Mark Begich (Alaska) don’t have to declare themselves on provisions that might be unpopular at home.

Meanwhile, Mr. Obama can retreat to his favorite pose of portraying Republicans as obstructionists, which pressures GOP moderates like Maine Senator Susan Collins. “And yet, some folks back in Washington are already floating the idea that they may use political stunts to prevent votes on any of these reforms,” Mr. Obama said on Monday—without mentioning that the “folks” who oppose his bill are Democrats.

But Sen. Cruz stuck to his guns, promising to move forward with a filibuster on a restrictive gun-control bill (you can listen to the audio here):

“I think the criticism has been silly,” Cruz said before adding that “the Republicans who are saying that they are happy to vote to shutoff debate and move to the bill, they don’t even know what the bill contains.

“The bill that these Republicans are going on television saying ‘we’ve got to move to and vote on,’ they still don’t know the details because the Democrats haven’t released the details of the bill that they’re moving to proceed to.”

Whichever way it happens, the Senate is scheduled to start moving on the issue on Thursday. It’s going down.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If anybody thinks that the vast majority of voters are going to remember Toomey’s gun control vote in 2016, they’re delusional.

If you want him out now, you’ll have to initiate recall. That should scare some sense into him. Start trial ballooning it now to make him think twice about gun control. You can recall him pour encourager les autres.

mintycrys on April 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Great idea, but the article below suggests otherwise. We’re pretty much stuck with voting, and believe me, I’m so angry with Toomey I could spit.

Can U.S. Senators Be Recalled?

PatriotGal2257 on April 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM

doing absolutely nothing except being obsessed with sex.

stingray9813 on April 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

The trolls are getting worse.

You’re lame. Did you get your marching orders? Yeh you did . Who are you working for?

CW on April 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Do you really believe that those who illegally obtain firearms are going to be concerned or stopped by more stringent background checks?

RovesChins on April 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No, but at least they’re trying to do something!!!!!

THEY CARE GODDAMIT!!

BigWyo on April 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

RovesChins on April 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No, but at least they’re trying to do something!!!!!

THEY CARE GODDAMIT!!

BigWyo on April 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Oops.
I forgot.

RovesChins on April 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Thank God for patriots like Cruz and Stockman

Stockman to use blue slip to kill Manchin-Toomey scheme, deliver U-Haul gift cards to Democrats who vote in favor

WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Stockman Wednesday reinforced his intentions to use a “blue slip” to kill any Senate anti-gun bill that contains expanded background checks.

mountainaires on April 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED!!!

TX-96 on April 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Prime Problem Number 1 with our government.

William Eaton on April 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM

WTF is next, this $hit is really getting old. Back ground check my aching arse, just more cover to pass what ever they want. I would say the line in the sand has been drawn. Thank G-d for people like Ted Cruz, maybe some more Republicans will grow a pair.

DDay on April 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

bluefox on April 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Cruz is awesome!

KCB on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

All the big heads in the media claimed Clinton lost the Congress in 1994 because of taxes, when in reality it was gun control. Cruz gets it. Remember Foley? He didn’t get it.

claudius on April 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

This stuff may fly in the Senate, but there are only so many scum sucking Liberal voting districts limiting the availability in the house. Maybe they forgot rural America votes too.

DDay on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Cruz: Obama’s gun-control push is going to cost Democrats the Senate in 2014

Gun control might be enough to beat the Democrats IF Republicans aren’t seen as being complicit in it. Unfortunately, as I’ve tried to emphasize in other threads, Obama’s bill was basically dead until Toomey rushed to the rescue. The Republicans are doing their best to give Obama “bipartisan” cover to get the gun registry passed.

Guarantee you this “deal” is going to get passed through both the House and Senate in some form. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

Doomberg on April 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

DDay on April 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

The democratics’ vote-theft machine can steal the presidency and Senate seats, but it’s much harder to steal the House because voting takes place outside of the corrupted inner cities.

The brilliance of our Constitution!

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM

bluefox on April 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Cruz is awesome!

KCB on April 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yes he is! That’s why the Establishment R’s/Rove etal fought so hard in supporting Dewhurst, LOL

11:00 or earlier imo tomorrow gun control starts. Probably will be on C-Span 2. Mike Lee on Levin said he’s going to invoke a rule for 60 vote.
Lee also said the Toomey/Machin/Schumer and others have no bill, just a proposal. They won’t even know what they are voting on.

Levin said all Senators should just vote NO & we should call our Senators early in the AM. I called them all today.

Besides Rubio, Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), John Boozman (Ark.), Susan Collins (Maine), Mike Crapo (Idaho), Mike Enzi (Wyo.), Deb Fisher (Neb.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Johnny Isackson (Ga.), Pat Roberts (Kan.), John Thune (S.D.) Roger Wicker (Miss.) dined with Obama. 12? Heh

bluefox on April 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Cruz: Obama’s gun-control push is going to cost Democrats the Senate in 2014

Yeah…not if Graham, McCain, Toomey, Isakson, Collins, Kirk and Flake all vote for it.

Jaibones on April 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I called one of my senators, Al Franken. I don’t think we can count on his support.

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM

These RINOs suck.

Jaibones on April 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Ted Cruz may be the only member of the Senate that I trust.

bw222 on April 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM

LoLz..:):)

Dire Straits on April 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Verbaluce must have really been hurt when it was shown how little it knows about firearms and gun control in general. It really is on a kick to comment to each person, whether they respond seriously or not, as if he’s some IT geek talking to the regular folks in the office.

Get off your high horse and your attitude. There’s not a single person here that you’re more intelligent than. Well, everyone is smarter than nonpartisan. (but that’s no great feat)

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Ted Cruz may be the only member of the Senate that I trust.

bw222 on April 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I think there may be a few others. Their voting record speaks whether they walk the talk. I know Ted Cruz’s does:-) Last count he voted No nine straight times!

bluefox on April 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

No, but at least they’re trying to do something!!!!!

THEY CARE GODDAMIT!!

BigWyo on April 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

*sigh*

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on April 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Ted Cruz may be the only member of the Senate that I trust.

bw222 on April 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The fact that you are still trusting any of them, shows how much of an idiot you are. I guess he wooed you with all the charm his Harvard Law degree can get him.

You just haven’t found the issue you hate him for yet. There’s a reason why you don’t anyone else. Just give it time.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on April 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED!!!

TX-96 on April 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Sorry but I think all Senile and deaf Sen. Reid hears is

“Shall Not Be in the Fringe.”

No wonder he votes the way he does.

stuartm80127 on April 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

The White House loves this gun talk because it keeps the public busy while the Benghazi killings cool down.

mixplix on April 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

A thought crossed my mind today regarding the desire to stop anyone with “mental health” issues from purchasing and owning a firearm. Doctors would violate HIPA rules by divulging names. I think a bigger issue is the data being collected by public schools on kids.
With literally hundreds of thousands of kids being forced on anti-depressant medication and medication for ADD and AHDD the public school system has a continually growing list of future adults who will be unable to purchase a firearm for protection.
It is chilling. Total disarming in the future by forced medication as children so as to create a “black list” for the furure.
Public schools don’t give a hoot about privacy issues.
We are truly screwed as a nation.

Art on April 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

being obsessed with sex.

stingray9813 on April 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

…you lost your Di@k…huh?

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I don’t much care any more what these politicians say or do. Along with “shall not be infringed” also goes “I will not comply”.

Liam on April 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

lester ain’t all that bright either.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on April 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Far be it for me to agree with you, but I do.
I remember all the love for Bohner when we (as in my side) won the House. What did he become? Another career pol.

Dr. Ben Carson is the latest, greatest conservative. I have cautioned people that he will betray us (conservatives) like those before him.

Lanceman on April 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I guess he wooed you with all the charm his Harvard Law degree can get him

…are you talking about JugEars?…must be!…you forgot a word in one of your following sentences…

There’s a reason why you I don’t blow anyone else. Just give it time.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on April 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Lanceman on April 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

You’re right about lester.

Wrong about can.i.be. That one has been a concern troll since the day it started posting. It comments solely to stir crap. His scene name actually has to do with him, two of his buddies and their favorite weekend endeavor.

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Call him Lucky Pierre.

slickwillie2001 on April 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Yeah, I know. But the sun shines on a dog’s ass once in a while.

Lanceman on April 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This is why I have, with one exception, ignored him since he showed up here.

Last week he made the mistake of asking why Chicago had such a high violent crime rate, other than being surrounded by counties with (in his opinion) insufficiently Draconian gun laws (i.e., ones like Chicago’s). I and several others gave him the Cliff’s Notes version of why Chicago is a total FUBAR, and even more than Cleveland deserves the sobriquet’ “The Mistake On The Lake”. (And believe me, as a downstate Ohioan, I despise Cleveland more than you can probably imagine, unless you’re a Buckeye too.)

I probably won’t respond to VerbalAbuse again, unless he asks another equally vacuous question. Not that I’m worried about encouraging him; I’ve dealt with bullies and people who think they’re smarter than everybody else all my life, and thus I know that the only encouragement they need is their own colossal egotism.

I just have better things to do with my time.

cheers

eon

eon on April 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

They’ll pass this tomorrow. Enough safe republicans will vote for it allowing democrats like Baucus and Landreiu to vote No. I would think Manchin has to vote Yes, since he is one of the sponsors.

lonestar1 on April 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Someday in the future, it is my hope and prayer that the emphasis on political correctness will decrease

it will never decrease if people don’t FIGHT BACK!! bowing out of the graduation ceremony accomplishes nothing. the “tolerant” PC idiots won. they are just going to keep winning unless people actually stand up to them and not give them what they want. what they want is for anyone opposing them to go away and be silent. and dr. carson did just that.

Sachiko on April 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Absolutely correct.

love2rumba on April 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

i posted that in the wrong thread, i had two windows open at once and mixed that up somehow XD

this was supposed to be for the ben carson headline lol *runs*

Sachiko on April 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

From your lips to God’s ears.

John the Libertarian on April 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I called it early. Well, so did many others. Cruz is solid and one to watch!

bluegill on April 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Lanceman on April 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

For the record, I never gave Bohenor ANY love in 2010. He was a career pol in the first place who basically won that seat out of privilege, and has done nothing for me to give him any love whatsoever.

Dr. Carson… where is it proven he’s a conservative? The only thing he’s done is stand up to Obama, but when it comes to his views on policy, I have to pull out the Sgt. Schultz card. Not a good sign IMO.

Myron Falwell on April 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

eon on April 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Well said.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM

My take.

kingsjester on April 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Verbaluce must have really been hurt when it was shown how little it knows about firearms and gun control in general… There’s not a single person here that you’re more intelligent than.

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

But hawkdriver, he’s had the opp to fire pretty much every caliber handgun, incl. most semi-autos.

Incl. most semi-autos, hawk.

rogerb on April 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM

rogerb on April 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Which is simply one more proof that P.J. O’Rourke was correct when he said (in reference to environmental extremists) that “there’s just no getting through to the highly insightful”. Or at least those who define themselves as such.

Their minds are made up, and they deeply resent anyone confusing them with actual facts.

PS- thanks, Hawk.

cheers

eon

eon on April 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

MELT THE PHONES TODAY!!!!

I’m calling both of our Senators.

PappyD61 on April 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Incoming Cruz Missile Bi*tches!!

ToddPA on April 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I called it early. Well, so did many others. Cruz is solid and one to watch!

bluegill on April 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Too bad he’s wrong. This should cost Obama and the Dems the senate in 2014, but it won’t.

gryphon202 on April 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

You just have to love any Republican who is bold and willing to openly criticize the idiots and malcontent weak sisters in his party, (only when they’re wrong, McCain) even more so when he’s a freshman.
He’s willing to try to stop wrong even if its his own? No wonder Sarah Palin liked him and the GOP elitist co-rulers dissed him. Why he’s as uppity as the dissenting base who thinks they have some sort of rights or something…

Don L on April 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

eon

eon on April 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

It was the main characteristic quality of the ancient (and very modern) heresy called “Gnosticism.” Only they have access to mysterious knowledge. All of elitist liberalism is guilty of it. The rest are just wannabe dupes or the puppet masters.

Don L on April 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I want to force the dirty dems to vote on this. Any gun grabbiing legislation will arrive dead in the House.

Unless the House Reps get intimidated when B.O. parades members of victims’ families through the chamber.

Cruz is great, maybe he’s right on this.

We’ll see.

JackM on April 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Myron Falwell on April 11, 2013

Dr. Carson has said your right to own a semi-automatic rifle should depend on where you live.

The doctor is obviously a brillant man, but he doesn’t seem to have given much careful thought to political problems.

I see no future for him in politics

I do want to keep him around however, it’s big bunches of fun watching the filthy liberals’ brains explode over a brillant black man who’s conservative.

JackM on April 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

eon on April 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

By ‘he’ you mean me?
What are you talking about?

verbaluce on April 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

How can it hurt them if he doesnt force them to vote on it?

The filibuster takes the focus off the Dems….I think he is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

ChrisL on April 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Incl. most semi-autos, hawk.

rogerb on April 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I know, right? I’ve been embarrassed before trying to stay up with a conversation where I should have just said, “Look, I’m not well versed with the subject. Could you fill in a bit of the details for me?” But vanity.

If verb and some of the other trolls would just ask questions here they’d be so much better prepared to exchange in an intelligent manner. They just come off as silly playing off as if they’re some expert, speaking to, well, some people who are about as well versed in firearms as any group I know.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Only if the GOP will use it; and they probably won’t.

Pardonme on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Pretty silly complaint.
Your issue is that you know more about guns and the gun control issue can only be discussed/debated by those with equal or greater firearms knowledge?
And how much do you know anyway…can I assume more than some and less than others?
Well, same here.

verbaluce on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Is anyone else having problems with the videos and ads autoplaying? If there’s a good fix (running safari), I’d be willing to consider any advice.

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

hawkdriver on April 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Try ‘ClickToPlugin’ extension

verbaluce on April 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Well, same here.

verbaluce on April 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I personally have no problem with anyone discussing the issues – as long as those who don’t know much are willing to ask and listen and learn, and don’t spout lies, myths or untrue rumors as if they are fact. I most despise uninformed and willingly ignorant voters, as they do the most damage to all of us.
However, I personally do have a problem with politicians who clearly know nothing about a subject, writing the laws that cover that subject.

dentarthurdent on April 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Cruz is delusional. The vast majority of Repubs are at best incompetent. Some of us having warning about this since 2004. As bad as the Dems are, and they are BAD, the repubs are worse. Can you think of any other time when the repubs were this pathetic. They are handed issue after issue and they blow it. They have no one that can speak in easy to understand English explaining simple subjects. With our current demographic trends they have zero chance of the presidency and the house will be next.

Winning the Senate…LOL!

patrick neid on April 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

At some point we’re gonna have to fight…as in physically revolt like our forefathers. The feds continue to violate the U.S. Constitution, and then justify their further encroachment by pointing to past precedent (Social Security is a great example). It’s pretty plainly spelled out that the feds may not infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms, which means that ALL LAWS that they make to restrict firearm ownership are in fact illegal.

I get that we don’t want criminals and crazies to have guns, but the feds can’t go there…they cannot legislate that. That is the right of the states to deal with in any manner they so choose. 50 states, 50 different possible solutions. The can be no constitutional one-size-fits-all-50-states gun law, including background checks.

It’s time for the states to tell the feds to screw off. Molon labe…and God bless Texas!

TXJenny on April 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM