Are you ready for Mayor Anthony Weiner?

posted at 11:21 am on April 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

I know what you’re thinking, but per the big Times article out today, sounds like everything’s cool now. Says his brother, “[T]here was definitely a douchiness about him that I just don’t really see anymore.” Weiner 2013: Not as much of a douche.

If you’re looking for psychobabble about why he did what he did, there’s plenty at the link. I’m more interested in why this guy (a) still wants to run for mayor and (b) thinks he could win if he did. On the first question:

“I don’t have this burning, overriding desire to go out and run for office,” he said. “It’s not the single animating force in my life as it was for quite some time. But I do recognize, to some degree, it’s now or maybe never for me, in terms of running for something. I’m trying to gauge not only what’s right and what feels comfortable right this second, but I’m also thinking, How will I feel in a year or two years or five years? Is this the time that I should be doing it? And then there’s the other side of the coin, which is . . . am I still the same person who I thought would make a good mayor?”…

“Also, I want to ask people to give me a second chance. I do want to have that conversation with people whom I let down and with people who put their faith in me and who wanted to support me. I think to some degree I do want to say to them, ‘Give me another chance.’ ”…

He pondered the question for an uncomfortably long time. “I don’t know,” he said. “It won’t be something as pedestrian as ‘Do I think I’ll win?’ It will be something more like ‘Does it feel like I should be involved in this debate? Someone should be out there saying A, B or C.’ ”

He’s a liberal who’d be running in a field of a liberals to govern a very liberal city. There’s nothing he has to say, from A to Z, that one of his opponents won’t be saying. But that bit about second chances is revealing. I go back and forth between wondering if Mark Sanford’s prime motivation in running again is nothing more than sweaty political careerism or something deeper psychologically where, as someone who’s enjoyed power and public approval before, he needs the voters to accept him again before he feels fully personally redeemed. That’s a weird dynamic, as if the electorate’s one of the family members who’s been wronged by his misdeeds, but that’s politicians for you.

But why would a New Yorker, with so many other Democratic candidates to choose from, vote for a former congressional backbencher known mainly for being a loudmouth in cable-news segments and then for tweeting pics of his junk at random women? The answer is, they wouldn’t — yet. The best theory for why he’s interested in running now is because, in his own words, he needs to “clear the decks” before he can run again with a chance to win:

Over the last several months, Weiner has talked informally to a number of people in the political world, many of whom have suggested to him that the mayor’s race is unwinnable and he should instead consider running for a lower-profile race like comptroller or public advocate. But Weiner has privately dismissed at least public advocate. (As the political adviser says: “You run for mayor and you lose, you can possibly run again. You run for public advocate and lose, you’re dead.”) When I asked him by e-mail if he would ever seriously consider running for another municipal office as a steppingstone to the mayor’s race, he answered: “Maybe. I’m definitely not making eight-year bank-shot plans.”

The question is why Weiner is so eager to enter a race that seems so tough for him to win. There is the matter of the $4.3 million in the Anthony Weiner for Mayor war chest (plus about $1.5 million in public matching funds if he runs in 2013), which would make him one of the better-financed candidates in the race. But there may be reasons to run that have nothing to do with his chances. “Is this about winning?” asks the political adviser. “Or is this an attempt to get the scandal off the books? Then the next time he runs for something, he can say: ‘You know what? We talked about that last time. Aren’t we beyond that?’ If so, it’s not a crazy strategy. Because when you’re running in a race you know you’re going to lose, you get to say all the positive things you want about yourself and take the brunt of the jokes this round and then figure out your real move after that. But that takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to do.”

Run this year, take a beating, then come back in 2017 or 2021 when all the jokes are played out and your name recognition is still more or less intact. It’s interesting that Sanford didn’t feel obliged to take that approach: He’s running to win and probably will, but that’s a function of his profile in South Carolina being much higher than Weiner’s is in New York and the fact that Sanford faced a weaker field for the SC-1 seat than Weiner will in a mayoral primary. One question, though. If Weiner runs and gets laughed out of the race, what does he do for the next four years while he’s waiting to run for mayor again? The point in the excerpt about running for, and losing, a lower office is true. He’d have the stench of failure on him after that, and since it’s likely that Bloomberg’s successor will be a Democrat, he’d somehow have to win a primary against an incumbent mayor in 2017 and the general election over a Republican. Unlikely, and what does he do with himself in the meantime? My guess is he’s thinking of getting back to Congress somehow and that public abasement — and maybe a doomed run for mayor to remind people that he’s back, sort of — is part of the strategy. But his old seat in NY-9 is occupied by Yvette Clark, a Democrat who’s the same age as Weiner and just started her first term. That route is blocked. He could try to challenge Republican Michael Grimm from NY-11, which encompasses Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn, but that district tilts slightly Republican and Grimm won reelection last year by a healthy seven points. Damn it, I don’t want to live in a world where Mark Sanford and Anthony Weiner aren’t empowered to make key national policy decisions again.

Exit question via Ana Navarro: When does John Edwards announce that he’s running for something in North Carolina?

Comments

Weiner 2013: Not as much of a douche.

“Every naughty weiner deserves a second chance.”

HotAirian on April 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Well, NYC already has a tiny tyrant why not a corrupt exhibitionist who has a Muslim wife with Muslim Brotherhood connections?

darwin on April 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

“We are ready to clear the decks on this thing.”

Given the essentials of Weinergate…is one of the words in the above quote misspelled?

:-)

coldwarrior on April 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Look a little harder!

SailorMark on April 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Sure I’m ready. The voters deserve who they put in office. They want Weiner, they get Weiner.

Limerick on April 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Cocked and loaded and ready to go…

right2bright on April 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Meyer Wiener? Oh excuse me, I mean, Mayor Weiner?

Seth Halpern on April 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Seems the only career democrats have is sucking up taxpayer money.

darwin on April 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

All of his shortcomings have been laid bare before the voters. He’s even shown the electorate the precise equipment he will use to screw them in the a$$.

JimLennon on April 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thankfully despite the Democrat/media complex’s best efforts, there was no public rehabilitation for that scumbag’s rep.

Doughboy on April 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Who’d want to give this guy the reins of power? And who’s to say if he got elected that he wouldn’t take a picture of himself sitting on the Mayor’s desk in nothing but a Speedo and send it out to the Twitterverse, and beyond?

Paul-Cincy on April 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

[image]

Any politician will give you the shirt off their backs. Anthony will give you the pants off his front as well.

[image]

Weiner. Ready to go to bat for this city.

[image]

Weiner. Nothing to hide.

[image]

Weiner. Standing ready to serve.

[image]

Anthony Weiner. One upright man prepared to wade through a brothel of corruption.

Axe on April 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

“Disgraced politician spends year in public life, realizes he doesn’t have the skills to function without the public trough” – News at 11

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM

If he was an actor: Oscar Mayor Weiner

right2bright on April 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Weiner did not just tweet pics of his junk to random women. At least one of them was a girl. And then he lied about having his Twitter account hacked which he only came clean about when there was about to be an investigation.

No, this is the same as Sanford. It goes back to character and integrity. Weiner has neither and is married to a terrorist loving friend of Mooch. NYC would do better under another term by Bloomberg than even considering this worthless douche.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I’m not ‘Up’ for that.

NYC Shouldn’t be, either.

TimBuk3 on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I look forward to one of weiners spokesmouths saying “the competition was pretty stiff” or “we came up a little short” when he loses.

VegasRick on April 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My New York. My beloved home town. Even in the worst of times I stood by you. Now this.

I can’t get out of here fast enough.

Rixon on April 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I want to see giant photos of his weiner posted all over NYC with the caption: Vote for the Dick!

Blake on April 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

So, is “lean forward” gonna be one of Weiner’s slogans?

“If elected, I’ll Stand Up for you?”

coldwarrior on April 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

*********************** NUTS ******************************!!

canopfor on April 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Sounds like demorat presidential material.

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Doughboy on April 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yeah the misuse of campaign funds, a public trial, a bastard child, and the cheating on a cancer-ridden spouse all tend to impact the public’s willingness to give a politician a second chance.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Hot Dog!!

hawkeye54 on April 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

And with one stroke of his pen he can sign bills into law.
Cool.

vityas on April 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

So, is “lean forward” gonna be one of Weiner’s slogans?

“If elected, I’ll Stand Up for you?”

coldwarrior on April 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Anthony Weiner- He has the balls to take on the special interests and he’s not afraid to show them.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Sanford vs Weiner.

Everybody loses.

portlandon on April 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’m not ‘Up’ for that.

NYC Shouldn’t be, either.

TimBuk3 on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Is Weiner not morally erect enough?

Doughboy on April 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

And here I thought this guy had formed a new version
of the band Little Anthony and the Imperials Schwantz’s

ToddPA on April 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Sounds like demorat presidential material.

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Now that you mention it, it does. Certainly puts him in the same group as the last two Dem Presidents anyway.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Is Weiner not morally erect enough?

Doughboy on April 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Maybe a little too rigid at times.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Then why didn’t he go the route of anyone else caught doing this — public humiliation, shame, prison, labelled as a sex offender, unable to get any kind of decent job.

The Weiner version of SuperBowl/DisneyWorld:

“You just got caught sending naked pictures of yourself to women. What are you going to do next?”

“I’m going to run for Mayor!”

Paul-Cincy on April 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I hardly think one speaks of better character than the other. Both reek of personal ambitions as a priority, be it careerism or his mental health issues, it’s all about Mark Sanford.

Anthony Weiner is a little creep, kind of like a leg-humping chihuahua. But if we don’t expect any better from politicians than the consistent assuaging of their own egos, than why not? What did he do that was worse than deserting his post while betraying his wife and four children?

Let’s not be hypocrites about it. At some point, the RNC is going to have to decide if Sanford is sufficiently “redeemed”. /sarc
Cynical me, I expect that’ll have something to do with his poll numbers, but then again… I don’t plan on donating to the RNC any time soon.

Murf76 on April 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You make it sound like most voters care about those things. The fact is, all this stuff gave him huge name recognition. And the continuing talk about the issue gives him more, and also makes it sound like supporting him is a reasonable position. It doesn’t matter matter how cut and dried an issue may be. As long as the media brings up the alternative and gives it equal time, the alternative is legitimized. Some democrats will support him merely because he has been ‘unfairly’ castigated.

Fenris on April 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

A weiner in every shot, er, pot?

RovesChins on April 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Are you ready for Mayor Anthony Weiner?

Probable explanation for the inexplicable:

REF: Weiner’s wiener photo

Conclusion:
Big balls ?

Recommended follow-up:
AP rerun weiner photo on hotair so readers can boneup on gubbamint history and concur with conclusion (or not) :)

BigSven on April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Politicians are moving to the Hollywood Model of “getting your name out there”.

So now the phony leaked “sex tapes” will begin to leak out of Washington DC, so politicians get their names in the papers.

Which Senator is the first to get caught not wearing panties while getting into her limousine?

A. Lisa Murkowski
B. Susan Collins
C. Clair McCaskill
D. Mitch McConnell

portlandon on April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Old Clinton joke redux:

What did the Chinese diplomat say to Anthony Weiner?

“Mr. Weiner, good ruck with your next erection.”

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Priceless. lol

Murf76 on April 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Mr. D – I – C – K, may I call you that?

All you have to do is change the color of your skin, do a few lines of coke, while being videotaped, with a hooker, and YOU ARE IN, BABY!

Go, D – I – C – K, go!

OhEssYouCowboys on April 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Is Humma Weiner campaigning also…?

Kuffar on April 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Old Clinton joke redux:

Bishop on April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You want old Clinton jokes?

When Saddam was belligerent towards the US during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, Clinton was stuck between Iraq and a hard on.

Monica Lewinsky overheard in a line waiting to get into the exclusive restaurant “21″: “Who do you have to blow to get a table around here?”.

I knew Monica Lewinsky wouldn’t succeed as a Jenny Craig spokesman. She’s not very discriminating about what she puts into her mouth.

Paul-Cincy on April 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

A. Lisa Murkowski
B. Susan Collins
C. Clair McCaskill
D. Mitch McConnell

portlandon on April 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Darn shame Ashley Judd isn’t running, as anyone who was watching a certain Oscar telecast a few years back will remember…

JimLennon on April 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Is Weiner not morally erect enough?

Doughboy on April 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Maybe a little too rigid at times.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Guys! Give him some room!

He’s on the straight and narrow now.

Axe on April 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Is Humma Weiner campaigning also…?

Kuffar on April 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Probably not, and considering that Hillary is her bestest buddy, I’m sure there are plenty of other things she’s not doing for Weiner.

Fenris on April 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Maybe a little too rigid at times.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I’ve heard he can be pretty stiff in social situations.

NavyMustang on April 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Are you ready for Mayor Anthony Weiner?

I think Emperor Palpatine has answered that question in the end of the sixth installment.

Archivarix on April 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

BWAHAHAHA !

NYC deserves everything it gets if they elect “Stiffie” Weiner!

NavyMustang on April 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It’s gonna be a hummer of a campaign!

RovesChins on April 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Sanford vs Weiner.

portlandon on April 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Oh c’mon, we know the result. Weiner will rule Sanford any day.

Archivarix on April 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Did anyone read the comments, Apparently its OK to show your junk to complete strangers as long as you don’t use it…know what NY? He is a reflection of You. The relative morality you expect from someone representing you, He is all your’s.

ninjacoastie on April 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Meyer Wiener? Oh excuse me, I mean, Mayor Weiner?

Seth Halpern on April 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Count DeMoney!! Count DeMoney!!

Khun Joe on April 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

He’s going to get a second chance, because, after all, it was that Big Meany, Breitbart that took him down. So, it didn’t really count.

Poor little Weiner.

trigon on April 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Fenris on April 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Castigated or castrated, the fact of the matter is that of all the candidates out there with the same views, why pick the one with a lack of integrity? The general public should care but even if they do not, it isn’t meaningless to bring up the issue in terms of public trust.

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You’re arguing that Democrat voters are rational and that name recognition doesn’t matter. Heck, some will vote for him just because he has previously held elective office.

Fenris on April 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You mean, you believe that there are New York City Democrats (or Republicans) that have integrity. Does Jean-Luke wear a beard in your universe?

Archivarix on April 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I’m fairly sure support for him will be flaccid, at best.

Dexter_Alarius on April 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It’s interesting that Sanford didn’t feel obliged to take that approach

Not to give Sanford a pass, but hiking the Appalachian Trail with your mistress, now 2nd wife or whatever is not the same has having the name Weiner and tweeting pictures of your schlong to young girls.

crrr6 on April 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

In other words, this is the reason Weiner’s political career is over.

crrr6 on April 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

No words necessary on die cut bumper stickers. The shape says it all.

meci on April 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Breitbart’s finest hour was the press conference takedown of Anthony Weiner. It will fun to watch MSM try and avoid that part of this story.

There will be no rehab without admitting you have a problem Mr. Weiner.

Capitalist Hog on April 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Maybe he SHOULD run for public advocate. After all, the former State Attorney General, and later Governor, ended up with his Wiener in Ashley Dupree as Client Number 9. A good Wiener can be a winner in New Yawk.

Steve Z on April 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Heck, some will vote for him just because he has previously held elective erective office.

Fenris on April 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

FIFY.

Steve Z on April 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Much of this country is morphing into a rancid sewer and the rats are trying to occupy it.

rplat on April 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Heh, as the Drudge headline says…

Can Weiner Rise Again?

petefrt on April 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yes, yes I am. So long as it is NYC.

jake49 on April 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

So… we go from “Bloombergia” to……

Weinerville?

And that an improvement? Seriously, now.

CiLH1 on April 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I’d normally say he should go prove his changed character in some other venue before returning to politics. But, being a politician and a Democrat, Weiner probably has no ability to support himself outside in the real world.

Socratease on April 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

He can always have this to aspire to:

Witnesses: Man drove 90 mph with genitals hanging out the window

And this guy is a former Vice Mayor from Tennessee.

tru2tx on April 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Are you ready for Mayor Anthony Weiner?

Me, I don’t have a dog in this fight but AP does. AP, are you ready form Mayor Weiner? Huh, Huh, Huh?????

D-fusit on April 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

It’s not like his Poli Sci degree qualifies Weiner to do anything in the productive world, so why not? It takes garbage like Anthony Weiner to adequately represent low information America, anyway.

MNHawk on April 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Will he rise to the occasion?

Okay I’ll stop there .

EnglishRogue on April 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Perhaps firming pole support leads him to believe he has recovered from his electile dysfunction.

Rich H on April 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM

MNHawk on April 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Have you ever seen the Congressional Directory? One of the the fun lies they tell is what their profession is. John Dingell, for example, is in his 30th term and is 87 years old but we are to believe that he is a lawyer and park ranger and NOT a politician. Likewise, we are to believe that Frank Lautenberg is a businessman, Barbara Boxer is a journalist, and John McCain is a Naval Officer. The only ones that are truly honest are the Dems who have always been sucking at the government teat. They all have Congressional Aide or Public official as their listed profession.

Weiner is one of these. A guy who graduated from college and went straight to the hill. He has never held a real job. So I suspect that he needs public office to complete his psyche (at which time I am sure the douchiness will be back).

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It makes sense to me. They’re trying to get back everything they lost. Without that, it’s probably harder to feel personally redeemed.

It’s narcissistic and probably not helpful to the people they’ve hurt, but it makes sense. I know for me personally, until things go back to normal, I don’t truly feel forgiven, even if I have been.

Esthier on April 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

h, as the Drudge headline says…

Can Weiner Rise Again?

petefrt on April 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

The Archive link, for posterity… ;-)

ITguy on April 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Why is that politicians who are forced to resign don’t go back to a ‘real life job’ afterwords. Do they have other skills?

Weiner is now a stay at home dad. This is fine but I assume it is, at least in part, because he plans to get back into politics. His degree is in political science and he’s done nothing but work in politics. If I were a democrat who would ever consider voting for him, I’d rather see him get a ‘real job’ doing something in the ‘real world’ for the time being.

Maybe I don’t know his full story but The New York Times reporter who wrote the story that was referenced never bothered to ask him about this or his Life Plan C or D.

As a reader, (or for those voters in NYC) this was one of my questions that was never answered.

LetsBfrank on April 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

MNHawk on April 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Happy Nomad on April 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Guess you guys beat me to this thought.

LetsBfrank on April 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

That’s funny, that was going to be my question. I’m glad for Weiner that his marriage is still intact and he’s enjoying being a father. He’s fortunate that didn’t all blow up in his face. A lot of women would have left him. I think he’s suffered enough and perhaps learned a lesson, but I also think only a narcissist would think they could become the next mayor of NYC after being publicly humiliated for such a stupid act. And only a dedicated, strong woman would support him in this endeavor. It is a pretty lofty goal.

scalleywag on April 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Not only does he rise again – he’ll win in a landslide.

With cover and P.R. from the Pravda Media – Democrite political power cannot be stopped.

There won’t be the teeniest mention of Weiner’s little twitter peckerdillo after his renewal. To do so will be inappropriate and hateful.

Move along please.

FlaMurph on April 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

LetsBfrank on April 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Really, why can’t he get a phony job in “investment banking” like Rahm Emanuel did? Surely he has some pals at Goldman Sachs or BlackRock.

I think this may be more about Huma than Tony. She wants to be President Clinton’s chief of staff or something even higher. She needs to get the Weiner scandal behind her.

rockmom on April 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Capitalist Hog on April 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Give Breitbart more credit than that.

verbaluce on April 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Well, I’m sold. Where’s the ballot?
- every liberal in NY

kim roy on April 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The reason he can/will run is:

The Muslim Brotherhood will be financing him !!

Now answer the stupid question:

Why does the Muslim Brotherhood want control of the NYC mayoralty?

KenInIL on April 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Like it is New York, Dude, of course he can win. Any liberal idiot can win in New York, the sleazier the better, and Wiener is sleazy.

georgeofthedesert on April 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM