Video: Japan adds Patriot missile defenses as tensions rise

posted at 3:21 pm on April 9, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Business as usual, or a sign that Japan is taking the latest belligerence from North Korea more seriously? CNN reports from one of the Patriot missile batteries that sprang up overnight in three places around Tokyo. They aren’t taking any chances on whether Kim Jong-un and the DPRK are blowing smoke or really want to blow up the region:

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is taking the crisis more seriously as well.  The BBC reports on Ban’s worry that the tensions could create a war via misunderstanding, and urged Kim to de-escalate the crisis:

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned the crisis on the Korean peninsula may become “uncontrollable”.

He once again urged North Korea to tone down its “provocative rhetoric” and to keep open a joint North-South Korean industrial complex. …

Speaking to reporters in Rome, Mr Ban said: “If any small incident is caused by miscalculation or misjudgement, it may create an uncontrollable situation.”

He also called for the Kaesong Industrial Complex to be kept open, calling it “one of the most successful cooperative projects between the South and North”.

Japan has also sent two of its most modern warships out to bolster its missile defenses.  If North Korea plans to test its missiles over Japan, it appears that Japan is ready to test its missile defenses and send another message to Pyongyang — and that may start exactly what Ban fears.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from the Virtual President of the United States, Bill Whittle.  Fortunately, the VPOTUS held a virtual press conference today, explaining that the problems with smoking guns is that the bullets have already been fired.  The trick in crises like these is to smash the guns before they smoke (via the Right Scoop):

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Right, a NORK LEO satellite that hovers over places? Sure.

It’s a decrepit alien survey spacecraft.

DarkCurrent on April 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Of course you were joking……just as when you posted the above. Riiiight.

At any rate, it’s not being tracked now. The screen went blank yesterday at 1:42pm and still isn’t tracking now. Something happened. Maybe it’s no longer there.
What is even stranger is that you and I are replying to a story that’s not even on HotAir anymore. Obviously, we both have the page still opened….but it’s gone from both Page 1 and 2.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

OK. Just read that the entire tracking system has been disabled.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Of course you were joking……just as when you posted the above. Riiiight.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I would have thought the “decrepit alien survey spacecraft” was kind of a hint…

And also when I posted

“The same programmed sequence it’s been executing for the last few thousand years. Nothing to be alarmed about, really.

DarkCurrent on April 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM”

I would have thought that would have been a clue…

DarkCurrent on April 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I thought you were ridiculing what I said by your sarcastic, simplistic remarks.

So. What are your real thoughts, with all frivolity aside?

…..That’s what I was asking for.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

…..That’s what I was asking for.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Might have been a primitive NORK satellite or some other orbital debris, but nothing human-made hovers in LEO. I was ridiculing that part.

DarkCurrent on April 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I read on other sites, which I can’t remember right now and have put away that particular link, that others observed the same thing that I did….about it hovering over Texas and going up and down. Apparently, others are as confused on this issue as I am.

OK, here it is:
reply to post by hansreenkie

I know this thing goes up and down.
But it has been steadily descending for this entire pass.
It is now at an altitude less than 315 miles, and dropping – and over central North America in the next few minutes.
Does it usually drop this long and low?

reply posted on 10-4-2013 @ 10:43 AM by Kuroodo
Its orbiting over us right now

reply posted on 10-4-2013 @ 10:45 AM by BlueAjah
I think it almost done crossing the US for now.
I just hope it goes back up higher before the next pass tomorrow.
It was getting way too low while it was passing over.

reply posted on 10-4-2013 @ 10:46 AM by Kuroodo
By the time it reached over Texas, it slowed down tremendously :O

reply posted on 10-4-2013 @ 10:49 AM by Kuroodo
Guys this thing is about to crash

reply posted on 10-4-2013 @ 10:52 AM by Kuroodo
Nvermind, I guess the website glitched -__- . Got me excited for nothing.

This thing is going pretty slow since it passed over Texas

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

This thing is going pretty slow since it passed over Texas

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

What happens when a satellite slows down?

DarkCurrent on April 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I have no idea. I’m guessing that it’s being erratic in its behavior……and that the reason it disappeared over the South Pacific is that maybe it crashed? Other people on that thread (if you read it was tumbling.

Did you read the thread?

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Did you read the thread?

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Didn’t think so.

Yes, I read the nutter thread.

DarkCurrent on April 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Stranger still……..I turned on my KindleFire (which has the Silk browser) and the tracking website is working …sortuv. It has shown this satellite all over the place, sometimes standing still, sometimes moving (looking at the NASA feed on the right that gives latitude and longitude along with other data)…..

When I first turned it on, it showed the satellite in the So. Pacific where I had last seen it yesterday, then it stalled. Went offline and showed someplace else. Now, it’s showing about to enter Iceland.

I have no idea whatdehell it’s doing.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Stranger still…….now it’s supposedly over the Canadian/U.S. border. Sortuv. The satellite itself isn’t being shown, just an arrow.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Oops! Now, it’s about to enter the So. Pacific.

I think it keeps showing a loop from yesterday. Wayyy too fast for this to be real time.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Same spot in the So. Pacific, though the NASA feed shows it moving in incremental measures, essentially hovering.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Now, it shows being over Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia…..hovering.

Very talented satellite, that.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

MG! Now, it’s moving backwards….north, over Ethiopia. WTH?

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Continuing north, approaching, now over Sudan.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Approaching Egypt.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What kind of weather “satellite” is this?

Entering the Mediterranean Sea, still going north.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

*blush* Never mind. It has to go north on the other side of its orbit.

avagreen on April 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM