Gosnell abortion-clinic worker: One of the babies “sounded like a little alien”

posted at 4:01 pm on April 9, 2013 by Allahpundit

Unimaginable.

A Delaware woman who worked for Kermit Gosnell testified Tuesday that she was called back to a room at his abortion clinic in Philadelphia where the bodies of aborted babies were kept on a shelf to hear one screaming amid the bodies of aborted babies kept on a shelf…

“I can’t describe it. It sounded like a little alien,” West said, telling the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas judge and jury that the body of the child was about 18 to 24 inches long and was one of the largest babies she had seen delivered during abortion procedures at the Women’s Medical Society clinic…

West, who said she called aborted babies “specimens” because “it was easier to deal with mentally,” said a co-worker had called her back to the room that night because she did not know what to do. West said the baby’s eyes and mouth were not yet completely formed and it was lying on a glass tray on a shelf and she told the co-worker to call Gosnell and fled the room…

She later made it clear that she called it “a baby” in her testimony “because that is what it is.”

That’s not the first time a clinic worker’s resorted to Orwellian euphemisms to make her “work” more bearable. Ed e-mails to remind me that you’ll also find “Product of Conception” in usage. More on Gosnell from NBC Philadelphia, one of the precious few media outlets covering this story:

An unlicensed medical school graduate delivered graphic testimony about the chaos at a Philadelphia clinic where he helped perform late-term abortions.

Stephen Massof described how he snipped the spinal cords of babies, calling it, “literally a beheading. It is separating the brain from the body.” He testified that at times, when women were given medicine to speed up their deliveries, “it would rain fetuses. Fetuses and blood all over the place.”

The Anchoress notes correctly that, simply for reasons of sensationalism, the media should be all over this story. Dead children, body parts, harrowing testimony on the stand — even the most soulless news editor, untroubled by the horror-movie accusations against Gosnell, should be pushing heavy coverage for selfish reasons, to boost readership. (Britain’s Daily Mail, whose tabloid instincts are unerring, has posted several stories about it.) Out of curiosity, I skimmed the last week’s results for “Kermit Gosnell” on Google News to see what turned up among major U.S. media. I found a few articles from local Philadelphia and Delaware outlets, a couple of AP items picked up by ABC, a Mona Charen op-ed carried in the Chicago Sun-Times, and … that’s basically it. There’s no explanation for the omission except one, just as there’s no explanation for ignoring Mark Mattioli in the Newtown coverage except one, just as there’s no explanation for disinterest in the Salmon family’s saga except one.

I’m left feeling about media bias the way I felt yesterday about dynastic politics: It seems like it’s getting worse, especially their willingness to completely black out “unhelpful” stories or parts of a story rather than simply spin them away, but there’s no way to know without hard numbers. Nate Silver’s right: The world needs fewer pundits and more data-crunchers. Here’s fertile ground for the latter. Exit question from Mark Steyn: “So how many dead American babies does it take to make the news?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Gosnell abortion-clinic worker: One of the babies “sounded like a little alien”

turdfreeorpee…so then nobody died?

KOOLAID2 on April 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

“So how many dead American babies does it take to make the news?”

Good one. As if there’s an upper limit.

mrsknightley on April 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

“If we can only save one child…..”

29Victor on April 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

We do routinely hear about women dying as a result of botched abortions; we know that babies do frequently survive the procedure (hell, our own President more than once voted against a bill that would protect the life of such a baby when surviving an abortion)… what happens to all of those babies, in your estimation? They are only killed by Gosnell, or allowed to die by doctors working in Illinois?

Midas on April 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Not even NARAL opposed the BAIPA. Obama’s opposition was based on his stated position that mandating the provision of care to a baby born of a botched abortion would ‘burden the original decision (of the mum to have an abortion).’

IOW, the woman wanted a dead baby and she was entitled to one, god damn it!…even if that baby was alive outside of her womb, was a full citizen, and was entitled to the same rights and protections that any other American citizen, including the mother, is guaranteed and afforded.

Resist We Much on April 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

May they all rot in hell.

avagreen on April 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

locomotivebreath1901 on April 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I’m against dead babies AND dead baby seals.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

( s i g h ) ….. but I like my seal-skin boots.

listens2glenn on April 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

listens2glenn on April 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I love ya-but I will NEVER use the Christian Bible for anything.
That’s my husband’s gig.
I’ll stick to the TANAKH thank you.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Specifically as pertains to moral standards of right and wrong, how much difference is there between them?

listens2glenn on April 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Resist We Much on April 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Don’t worry, it will be old people next en mass, then they will come for the religious who oppose them, now they are just mocking them but later it will get ugly.

MarshFox on April 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Forgive me if I don’t have much sympathy(actually any sympathy) for women who are injured/killed while having their unborn babies murdered.
In an abortion clinic, the ONLY innocent is the child being killed.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I understand that sentiment, I do. I have, however, worked with enough woman who have had abortions who have said they were sold a bill of goods. The media has done a really good job at selling the fact that the baby is just a clump of cells and abortion is akin to getting a mole removed. It isn’t until after that a lot of realized what they have done, and have to come to terms with it. Some of the most pro-life women are ones that have gone through the procedure and have had to go through years of counseling because of it. Abortion has victimized woman as well as babies, because it has been billed as “choice.” And it is not an giving woman an educated choice. If it was than a doctor would show the ultrasound that every abortion patient is required to get to date the pregnancy to the woman wanting the abortion.

melle1228 on April 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

One of the things that became quite clear to Clarkson and to Wilberforce was that the slave trade, like all evil systems, corrupted and ruined the lives of all who touched it. It seemed that nearly everyone involved in it had somehow been duped into it: many were kidnapped and pressed into it against their will, while others were forced into it to pay debts, which somehow never got paid. The whole slave trade was like some kind of seaborne gulag in which one level of prisoners (called sailors) were brutalized physically and mentally by psychotic and pathologically cruel captains, and another level of prisoners (called slaves) were brutalized physically and mentally by both of the above. As Wilberforce, Clarkson, Sharp, and the others sifted through their findings, the most surprising evidence they uncovered was that the trade degraded and harmed the sailors, the white Englishmen. The lie that the traders and the West Indian planters put forward was that the slave trade was an excellent way to train young men for the Navy— a claim that made ser vice on a slave ship sound like an issue of national security. Everything Clarkson uncovered, however, showed the opposite: the white sailors involved were nearly always miserable and would have done anything to escape, but they feared the lash themselves and were powerless.

Metaxas, Eric (2009-10-13). Amazing Grace (pp. 116-117). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

29Victor on April 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Resist We Much on April 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

They can’t give an inch, just like the slavers of the 18th & 19th Centuries couldn’t give an inch. Once they admitted to blacks any liberty at all or any legal standing they had to admit their humanity. And when a person is allowed to be declared fully human then all their unalienable rights must be acknowledged and protected.

29Victor on April 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

A couple of weeks ago I read most of the transcript of Firing Line where Buckley interviewed Saul Alinsky. Pretty riveting stuff.

Clearly a central predicate of the Left is philosophical materialism. In our current affairs that is manifest in a cultural nihilism. Alinsky said (famously) that he’d rather steal something than be given it through charity. (As a follow on Abbie Hoffman said ‘steal this book’).

The conversation showed Uncle Saul to be quite cynical (to use Buckley’s word). All options are open for getting stuff from others.

It is not new that people believe in nothing…and will do anything that gets them where they want to be.

What has become insufferable is the cultural/upper class/bourgeoisie have grown so jaded and scared, that they say whatever…or even agree…in the long run we’re all dead…i guess

r keller on April 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

r keller on April 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Amazon streaming has a bunch of Firing Line episodes (including the Alinsky one). They come “free” with an Amazon Prime subscription. Around $2/episode otherwise I think. Watching them has been a really great experience for me.

29Victor on April 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

This monster needs to be dragged out of his cell & hung before he starts filling out petitions that his food is too cold, or too hot.

RdLake on April 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

RdLake on April 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Hanging’s too good for this empty shell of an animal. Let’s just clip his spinal cord with some kitchen shears.

slickwillie2001 on April 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM

29Victor on April 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

yeah…i saw that too.

i’m sure this is a treasure trove.

r keller on April 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

to malign decent, honorable physicians as monsters.

Armin Tamzarian on April 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Hippocratic oath: “I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.”

Yeah, about the “decent, honorable” thing…

Nutstuyu on April 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM

This story is horrifying. I don’t know what else to say.

How could anybody do such things.

gophergirl on April 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Because evil is real, and there really are people who choose to be evil.

They want to use this story to malign decent, honorable physicians as monsters.

Yep. Fits my definition of monsters.

justltl on April 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What, then, do you consider me to be?

Resist We Much on April 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Resisty.

Nutstuyu on April 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I assure you, socons do a fine enough job of making themselves look like fools without my help.

Armin Tamzarian on April 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hosea 9:7
The days of punishment are coming, the days of reckoning are at hand. Let Israel know this. Because your sins are so many and your hostility so great, the prophet is considered a fool, the inspired person a maniac.

You were saying?

Nutstuyu on April 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Time for some more Nuremberg trials and hangings.

Sherman1864 on April 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Social conservatives are nanny-state control freaks just like liberals.

See how easy that is?

John the Libertarian on April 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Really? Like who exactly, Bloomberg? Cuomo? Moonbeam Brown? Oh wait…

Nutstuyu on April 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I’ve been asking myself, as I read this article and thread, why I almost despise the liberals and media who advocate for abortion as much as the abortionists.
Strange, no?

I think that it’s because the abortionist is straight forwardly and recognizably evil.

On the other hand, the libs and media are loathsome to me in their smarmy pseudo-intellectualism while being some of the most vapid and stupid people on the planet- who lack any semblance of rationality, honesty or self insight.

Yep, I think that’s it.

justltl on April 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Kind of like despising Chavez but really, really despising the imbecile Sean Penn.

justltl on April 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I think I’m going to be sick..

I can’t read parts of this, my wife and I had to bury our third child, stillborn, full term in 04.

I held my second son, till they took him from me.

and given the chance, I’d do a very very ******* ***** to that monstrous sadistic thug.. You cannot read this and tell me, it doesn’t move you, not unless you have no soul at all.

Abortion is murder,

mark81150 on April 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

If a baby cries in an abortion clinic and no one is around who cares, does he make a sound?

fight like a girl on April 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

“So how many dead American babies does it take to make the news?”

Apparently 20. But they have to have been killed in a 95% white suburb, not a more ethnic place like Philly.

TheLoudTalker on April 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Paraphrasing the President, “shouldn’t we do something to make it a little harder for someone to murder innocent babies?” Maybe we could start by demanding that abortion clinics be regulated and inspected like every other medical facility is. In most states, a barber shop is more regulated than an abortion clinic. We could also start prosecuting the doctors who perform late term abortions along with the women who have them. These women are not victims, their babies are.

fight like a girl on April 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

It was a little alien. A stranger in their midst, which ought to have been welcomed.

unclesmrgol on April 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM

My comment didn’t go throughout! Dang!

“Help! Help! I’m being repressed!!!”

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM

thuja, Armin, and some of their excusers here, are for this type of execution.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Speaking of that horror film, Silent Scream, mentioned above:

Many years ago, by some mistake, probably an accounting error or some such, I was made Chief Resident of a highly prestigious residency program at which I trained. One day, during my term, the Chairman of the Department of Medicine (a very prominent national renowned figure with whom I worked closely in my duties as Chief) and I went to a Grand Rounds at which they showed that film. There was no introduction and no commentary after the film, which eerily amplified the horror.

As we walked out together after the film, I’m sure that I appeared pensive and somewhat shaken, because the chairman asked me what I thought of the film. I think that I answered, “It was very disturbing.” He asked “Why?”, while he himself appeared disturbingly undisturbed, even jovial.

My horrified and shaken brain almost blurted out, “Why???!!!???” “Are you f#cking insane???!!!” “Because they just showed a baby having its limbs sucked off as it squirmed in pain and obviously tried to escape!” “That’s why!!!”
But then I figured that he too surely must have been disturbed by it and was asking me “Why?” in a detached and jovial manner, as some sort of object lesson in the manner of a Shaman priest questioning the young Caine in the TV series “Kung Fu” (1972-1975), which was very popular just prior to that time.
I don’t remember what response I did actually give, but I know that it didn’t include the words “f%cking” or “insane”, although I might have subtly conveyed the essence of those terms. At any rate, I left the entire scene doubly disturbed and continued my duties in pursuit of the thankless career in which I later found myself.

A few months later, at morning report, the Chairman derisively commented on the hospital housekeepers’ callous and completely insensitive habit of wearing gloves and masks while cleaning the rooms of patients with AIDS- which at the time was a brand spanking new and 100% lethal infectious disease about which very little was known, including whether or not hapless housekeeping folks could contract it by coming in contact with those things with which hospital housekeeping folks routinely come in contact.
And then I realized, like I was shot, like I was shot with a diamond. A diamond bullet right through my forehead. (Apocalypse Now, 1979) And I thought, “this guy is a total moron”. “No, wait- he’s too smart to be a total moron”. “It’s just that his liberalism has completely overwhelmed any semblance of common sense.” And my thoughts harkened back to his demeanor after the horror film, and I realized that he probably had no clue as to why I was shaken by it, not stirred (James Bond, Thunderball,1965).
I think that those were my first encounters with the modern mental illness known as “political correctness” which, now that I think about it, might prove to be as lethal as AIDS was at the time.

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Speaking of that horror film, Silent Scream, mentioned above:

My horrified and shaken brain almost blurted out, “Why???!!!???” “Are you f-ing insane???!!!” “Because they just showed a baby having its limbs sucked off as it squirmed in pain and obviously tried to escape!” “That’s why!!!”
I don’t remember what response I did actually give, but I know that it didn’t include the words “f-ing” or “insane”, although I might have subtly conveyed the essence of those terms. At any rate, I left the entire scene doubly disturbed and continued my duties in pursuit of the thankless career in which I later found myself.

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hmmph.
Must have been the f-ing word filter thingie.

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Obama feeds on carrion, OT and on guns.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM

That little baby, brought into the world before it was fully formed yet still alive, left to die on a cold tray in pain. You soulless liberal trash who support this make me ashamed to share the same planet with you.

Bishop on April 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Thuja, Armin and others who support them, here.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

A relative, a crime victim, had the plug pulled by his executor, a sister

Weeks later talking with the executor I praised the doctors on the case. Executor got fired up on how great they were. For instance, she had wanted to pull the feeding tube and IV right away, but the doctor cautioned if they were removed cold turkey, the body would go into distress. Doctor recommended slowly reducing the food and fluids so by the time the tubes were pulled. the patient would not respond.

Hearing that took my breath away. I can still see her smiling as the she talked about starving and dehydrating a living being to a nice tidy end. If the poor guy was a vegetable, why would he have to be starved down first?

This is the new euthanesia, now called managing a case

You are not allowed to disrupt the new solution with arguments or evidence

That is why pictures of abortions are so verboten. If abortion is ok, why arent the photos in home medical books, along with photos of toenail fungus? Why disclaimers: WARNING GRAPHIC: victim pics

entagor on April 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM

This is our future as we sell our souls for a little comfort and security from the government. The liberal agenda has pretty much taken root and stories like this happen every day. Some evil wench making 10 peices of silver a day is helping extract infants and tossing them in a pile like bags of fertilizer.

We have rot in our inner cities and rural areas from drugs, welfare queens and brood mares, packs of animals that can’t read, write or think in more abstract terms then when their next fix or piece of behind is going to happen.

We have ruling elite that pass laws, programs and regulations that apply to everyone but them and we have legions of voters that nothing nothing but how to pull a lever to ensure that they get more freebees and givemes.

it would have been better to be vanquished in battle against a superior foe than to rot from within and die a slow death being led by a kenyan and a band of evil satanic liberal bent on implementing their new world order.

We deserve what is coming.

acyl72 on April 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM

justltl on April 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

While most health professionals are caring people..

I have met the odd doctor who at best, was a sadist. Small smile on his face when preforming a very painful procedure on me, then annoyance when I didn’t react as he expected and cry out in pain. So he twisted even harder..

The medical field has been cover for more than a couple of sociopaths. I suspect abortion doctors fall largely within that group, how else could a “healer” rip an infant limb from limb and not shoot himself from the head from the nightmares. You cannot detach yourself from that kind of act, unless you aren’t human to begin with.

mark81150 on April 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Bishop on April 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Thuja, Armin and others who support them, here.

Schadenfreude on April 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Amen. These are people that claim to be conservative or libertarian, telling us how the gop should be.

hawkdriver on April 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM

The elites and people who are some much better than we are all such hypocrites. They would never accept the same treatment as they push on us. Chaney got a new heart, JR got a new liver, GHWB got a long hospital stay, LiLo gets yet another chance, on and on. A man while trying to protect himself, kills a bear and it makes national news. Gosnell not so much. Our only value to them is to pay our taxes and shut up.

Kissmygrits on April 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

They want to use this story to malign decent, honorable physicians as monsters.

Armin Tamzarian on April 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I hope you get a Gosnell-like “decent, honorable physician” when you’re lying on an operating table.

Checkmate.

dominigan on April 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I don’t know how anybody could work for this monster. Where was the call to the authorities? These workers are just as guilty as their boss and I have no sympathy for them.

Happy Nomad on April 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Actually, if you go back to the HotAir archives on this… the authorities were called multiple times to investigate the clinic, and they all looked the other way for years. As a result, several state health workers were fired.

dominigan on April 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

There is a special place in Hell for this man.

labrat on April 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

a whole new profit sideline…

*sickening*

workingclass artist on April 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

And we want to show Gosnell as an example of an industry that is UNREGULATED due to politics. Gosnell got away with his crimes for DECADES because of prochoice politics

melle1228 on April 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My only serious area of disagreement with the current economic conservative agenda is that I strongly support the EPA having a role regulating business (though I would do the regulations quite differently than the Obama model). I see you are also demanding regulation of a business. Can we say that perhaps deregulation can go too far? If so, do we become RINOs?

Also, let’s be fair here. Pro-life overreach in terms of regulating abortion to cripple the abortion industry is a major reason that the pro-choice movement became paranoid about the sort of reasonable regulation that should have stopped Gosnell.

thuja on April 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

This is simply revolting. And Obama and Kathleen “no fetus left alive” Sebelius demand that we pay for this with our tax dollars.

Colony14 on April 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Am I the only one that finds it disgusting and disturbing to hear people calling for the torturing and killing of these abortionists?
How the heck is that different from what you are judging to be wrong??

Sick, twisted people.

bridgetown on April 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

“I can’t describe it. It sounded like a little alien,” West said

Well at least she isn’t a racist, she didn’t say “illegal” alien.

fight like a girl on April 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM