Sigh: George Washington University students attempt to oust priest after discovering he’s Catholic

posted at 9:21 pm on April 8, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

In the name of tolerance, of course.

At least a dozen students, including seniors Damian Legacy and Blake Bergen, say they have left the Newman Center in the last several years because Father Greg Shaffer’s strong anti-gay and anti-abortion views are too polarizing. Shaffer, a Roman Catholic priest, has spent five years preaching to GW students.

The former Newman Center members are creating a video with testimony from 10 other Catholic students, who cite Shaffer as the reason they left the chapel, hoping to inflame a largely liberal campus and force University administrators to act. Legacy and Bergen also plan to file a formal complaint with the University and hold prayer vigils outside the Newman Center until Shaffer is removed…

Legacy and Bergen will deliver a letter this week to top administrators including University President Steven Knapp, citing academic studies that link harmful psychological effects, like the inability to sleep and loss of appetite, with being around homophobic behavior.

GW’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion is already reviewing the case, after Legacy submitted a report last semester that outlined how other schools vet religious leaders before bringing them to campus.

Mind you, this is the same university where Anwar al-Awlaki was a chaplain, but sure, Fr. Greg is what causes them to reevaluate their vetting of religious figures.

Father Greg Shaffer’s great mistake, you see, is counseling students who are openly gay and come to him by referencing Catholic beliefs and church doctrine on homosexuality. This has offended some gay students, who now want to kick the priest off campus despite the fact that he is well-liked by plenty of students, who describe him as a welcoming leader who has never and would never single out gay students. Student testimonies on his behalf are at TheChaplainWeKnow.

The Arch Diocese of Washington offered this statement clarifying that Fr. Shaffer is, indeed, Catholic:

Fr. Greg Shaffer, chaplain at the Newman Center on the campus of the George Washington University, shares the teachings of the Catholic Church in a welcoming and joyful manner. His ministry is a vital component of the vibrant faith community on campus.

Priests have a special responsibility to lead by preaching and teaching the Gospel, administering the sacraments, providing spiritual guidance and promoting the spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being of the people. All of this is done in the context of the circumstances of our day and modern culture. Priests also recognize that many of the teachings of the Catholic Church, especially those in modern culture that involve human sexuality, including homosexuality, are countercultural.

Despite the current cultural beliefs about homosexuality and same sex marriage, the teaching of the Catholic Church remains unchanged. Priests will continue to teach and counsel that following the ways of the Catholic Church and living our life in the way that Jesus Christ taught us is not always easy. We strive to do our best to live by God’s commandments. We announce that from the pulpit and we try to meet people where they are and walk with them on life’s journey. The Catholic Church welcomes everyone. The teachings, however, are not tailored to an individual’s personal beliefs. Thus, priests have a commitment to educate people in the truths of our faith, regardless of the current cultural trend.

Students do not have the right not to be offended or have their feelings hurt by other people’s beliefs or arguments during their four years in college. These are allegedly places of intellectual and spiritual inquiry and diversity, but they become anything but when any precious Millenial who gets his heart bruised feels entitled to kick those he disagrees with off campus. Protest all you want, but let the argument happen. You might even get dangerously close to learning something about those who believe differently from you, you know, like you’re supposed to in college.

Neither this priest nor that silly professor who demanded his students stomp on Jesus need lose their jobs over mere disagreements. A student who refuses to “stomp on Jesus” could simply be asked about his beliefs and feelings. Other students could be asked what symbol they would be uncomfortable stomping. Instead, these disagreements become an opportunity for ganging up on and silencing anyone who ventures within a football field of right of center. That’s as close-minded and unproductive as it gets.

Breaking on Hot Air

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

They would oust the Pope if they could.

aunursa on April 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

It’s been a depressing sad day today. I sometimes wonder if we have enough firepower to fight the battles as there are so many. There are just so many of them and they are so vile.

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I hate liberals.

Mark1971 on April 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The CATHOLIC Newman Centre? Uh is this a Monty Python skit, “Why’d you JOIN the Army, then?” -”For the Ski’in!”

Uh helloooooooooooooo Catholic Doctrine…what kind of hippy-dippy priest did they have BEFORE? Or did these Doofi simply “join” in order to “be shocked” and then to quit in protest and demand “change?”

It’s like going to a Synagogue Pancake Breakfast and asking for Sausage Links….

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Legacy and Bergen also plan to file a formal complaint with the University and hold prayer vigils outside the Newman Center until Shaffer is removed…

Is a prayer valid if it’s said with a lisp?

Cleombrotus on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

At least a dozen students, including seniors Damian Legacy

He’s a special kind of Damian.

arnold ziffel on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I would like to offer my own study which shows that exhibiting symptoms like this means you are a self-centered jackass boy who has been in touch with his feminine side to a degree which isn’t healthy.

Bishop on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Wankers.

itsspideyman on April 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Cromwell is alive and well.

OldEnglish on April 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Go watch Zulu, then….the South Wales Borderers can feel your pain, mayhap you can draw a bit of courage from them….

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Awesome on O’Reilly tonight.

John the Libertarian on April 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

excerpt: Chloé Sorvino, Student Newspaper, The GW Hatchet.

.
HEY ! … CANDY ASSED, SPOILED BRAT COLLEGE BOYS ! … your views are no less “polarizing”.

listens2glenn on April 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

citing academic studies that link harmful psychological effects, like the inability to sleep and loss of appetite, with being around homophobic behavior.

So?

OldEnglish on April 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The War on Catholics!!

canopfor on April 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Our local tolerant libtarded gay trolls will be so proud. And tolerant, and not trying to force their beliefs and views on anyone else, or something.

Midas on April 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

i want to write the word “tolerance” on a piece of paper and stomp on it.

Sachiko on April 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

.
Of course I know what you meant, but there are “kosher” hotdogs (Hebrew National). Why couldn’t there be kosher sausage?

listens2glenn on April 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

And so it goes, the beast keeps biting the hand that fed it for so long, when will people in the Church wake up and learn that the government is not your friend. Curse the bishops for engaging Constantine at all.

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Impressive.
Deep thinkers.
Inclusive.
Open minded.
Tolerant.
Smart power.

Mimzey on April 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

These students are why the term “educated idiot” was coined.

alchemist19 on April 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

the Left…it is a disease.

GG, I went from sadness to disgust today.

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

You are not alone. Rush put it best the other day: we’re basically a dying country right now. You think these kids give a crap about freedom of religion, the Bill of Rights or ordered, democratic government? I’ll only continue to call this place home until one or more of the good states has the good sense to extricate themselves from abusive marriage.

crrr6 on April 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Bet you anything that Legacy and Bergen were put up to this, or they have been planted there for a couple years, similar to the situation with Sandra Fluke at Georgetown. Watch it come out at some point that they are “activists” — of course they are — to try to force the school to change its policy.

PatriotGal2257 on April 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Romanian Kosher Sausage Co.

aunursa on April 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Isn’t that the truth. I was talking to a Jewish friend who was trying to explain the Jewish vote. It’s almost as nutty as Catholics in their belief that the Government is “helping” the poor and sick.

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

crrr6 on April 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

My death will be either peaceful or a valiant one, but either way I will die free!

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Go watch Zulu, then…the South Wales Borderers can feel your pain, mayhap you can draw a bit of courage from them….

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Bromhead; It’s a miracle.

Chard; Yes, a .577/.450 Martini-Henry miracle!

One of my favorite movies. Especially for the narration by Richard Burton.

cheers

eon

eon on April 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Short Answer: NO. Longer Answer: Sausage IS pork…not turkey, not soy…Pork….

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Students do not have the right not to be offended or have their feelings hurt by other people’s beliefs or arguments during their four years in college.

Au convair mon frycook, this is Bark’s America where being offended is how you are supposed to live your life day to day. These pantywaists will always find something to be offended about because it is the only thing which gives their shallow lives any substance.

The funny part is that decades from now when the leftist trash have managed to get everything banned, they will have to start over at the beginning unbanning things one by one just to feed their fanaticism.

Bishop on April 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I have been saying it for years, of course I get labeled the heretic, but hey, sooner or later we will all be in reeducation camps;)

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

the Left…it is a disease.

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I think it’s Thatcher’s passing that has got me so sad. This world was such a great place with her and President Reagan. Seeing people celebrate her death like that just I don’t know….

I just pray that Paul, Cruz, Perry, Walker, etc are protected and stay the course. They are truly our last best hope.

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

As someone who advises high school students, it’s just the possibility of another name on the “under no circumstances should you ever go there for any reason” list. We’ll see what GWU decides.

Darin on April 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

GW is an overpriced university for mediocre students who would get a better education at the nearby University of Maryland for 50% less. They should be protesting relevant things, such as their wasted tuition dollars.

NoDonkey on April 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Despite the current cultural beliefs about homosexuality and same sex marriage, the teaching of the Catholic Church remains unchanged. Priests will continue to teach and counsel that following the ways of the Catholic Church and living our life in the way that Jesus Christ taught us is not always easy.

Ah! The evening snack on the GAG (gays, amnesty, guns) social liberal diet at HA. Not as exciting as the lite “MSDNC anchors acting badly” meals earlier on in the day but still a great way to end the day. I mean what conservative doesn’t spend every idle moment of their lives brooding on the gays?

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I guess we’ll continue HA/QOTD from there huh :)

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

NoDonkey on April 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You had me until you suggested that University of Maryland would have provided a better education. Depends on the program. The DC area has tons of good schools where the students don’t protest that the priest at something called the Newman Center might actually be a real Catholic.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Yeah and hopefully their so stupid that they’ll play classic rock all day everyday thinking it will drive us into submission:)

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I am betting I am older than you! For me it was both Thatcher and Funicello. But yes, I was disgusted not only with the MSM coverage and denigration of Thatcher but the Twitterverse…either they didn’t know who she was or they were tweeting the most vile things…as they did about Rick Warren’s son. I can’t understand how these people can be so disgusting.

You are right about Cruz, Paul, Walker, etc. Cruz, for me, is the one who speaks succinctly and clearly…

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

roflmao

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Meh. I say this as a gay man and (lapsed) Catholic myself: it’s the Newman Center. Unless this priest was being a total azz about it, what else did you expect? The Church will “develop” on this, a la Newman, or not as the Spirit wills (keeping Rabbi Gamaliel’s remarks in Acts 5:38-39 in mind). If it’s that much of a problem at GWU than give this club a try instead:

http://www.gwu.edu/~cantuar/GWCanterburyClub/Home.html

JohnAGJ on April 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The gay students also want the statute of Jesus removed and replaced with a statue of Mother RuPaul..Holy Mother of Perpetual Grievance.

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

And I just made the mistake of reading the headline article about the Gosnell trial.

I need a drink.

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Ask the protesters to sign a petition against the Father Shaffer indicating their complaints and then excommunicate the lot of them by their own representations.

Mason on April 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

JohnAGJ on April 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

You can’t possibly expect these two to join a club for Anglicans and Episcopalians, two denominations IIRC accept gays and lesbians without question, can you? Where’s the challenge in that, losing out on their big chance to be supremely aggrieved and self-righteous? (sarc)

PatriotGal2257 on April 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

oh no….I’m sure you will need a drink. The little I’ve read/heard a “shooter” is def. in order.

CoffeeLover on April 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM

FYI anyone who doesn’t know:

Newman Centers or Newman Clubs are Catholic ministry centers at non-Catholic universities found throughout the world. …
The centers provide pastoral services and ministries to their Catholic communities, in particular to the Roman Catholic student population within the universities. However, since these centers are located on university campuses, Christians of other denominations often come and participate as well. A variety of university and parish related meetings and social events take place at the centers, as well as personal events including weddings, anniversary celebrations, baptisms, Masses and funeral receptions.

Never pays to mix state and religion.

AesopFan on April 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Same thing is happening at Johns Hopkins – Student Government wouldn’t sanction a pro-life group on campus because the material they were using made some students “uncomfortable” (even though they have a sanctioned pro-choice group on campus)

blammm on April 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This is all part of the Lefts propaganda campaign against Christians and Catholics in particular. They’re trying to Alinsky us. Make us “the other” beyond the pale. We have to fight back.
Tie them to Kermit Gosnell. What’s the difference between what Cuomo, Obama, and other leftists advocated and what Gosnell did? Make them own it!
We don’t have to support their media. NBC is in serious ratings trouble.

Iblis on April 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM

There are just so many of them and they are so vile.
gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

But are there so many of them?

Mimzey on April 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I guess for some people, “Is the Pope Catholic?” is not a rhetorical question.

taznar on April 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Those kids are so gay!

Whoops, can I have that cheeseburger now that you don’t want it?

Free food, man!

Sherman1864 on April 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Don’t forget to write…so that we’ll know where you are and can come get you out.

I guess the over the hill gang has at least one more good ride left.

:)

Solaratov on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Mary Katharine, you’ll be thrilled to learn that Mr. Legacy is now Father Legacy! Yes, yes, regular Catholics, you might be thinking that normally it might take a regular priest a decade of study before he could be ordained, but Father Legacy is already so smart and full of wisdom that he was able to prepare for the priesthood at night and on weekends in just a few short months! Awesome!

cynccook on April 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

What college is that?

HitNRun on April 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Remember how, during the SSM debates, the homosexuals assured everyone that they were not interested in forcing the Church to renounce their beliefs and perform SSM? And remember how anyone who warned about the slippery slope and the danger to churches if SSM becomes the norm were considered homophobic bigots?

Yeah, so much for that smoke-screen. Agenda exposed.

Mallard T. Drake on April 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I wish these people would look up the meaning of “phobic.” It does not mean that you disagree with something.

hopeful on April 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Maybe a more accurate way of putting it-disagreeing with something doesn’t mean you’re phobic.

hopeful on April 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

But are there so many of them?

Mimzey on April 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Not as many as they think. They just make more noise.

Consider this: they seem to not realize they are under-armed, and surrounded.

Yoop on April 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hmmmm…

“Legacy, who is now a priest in the schismatic Old Catholic Church, submitted a report to the administration outlining a program used by other schools to vet religious leaders before bringing them to the campus and plans on asking the Student Association to defund the Catholic student outreach center which reportedly received $10,000 last year…”

workingclass artist on April 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

The former Newman Center members are creating a video with testimony from 10 other Catholic students, who cite Shaffer as the reason they left the chapel, hoping to inflame a largely liberal campus and force University administrators to act. Legacy and Bergen also plan to file a formal complaint with the University and hold prayer vigils outside the Newman Center until Shaffer is removed.

The students lambasted Shaffer’s counseling sessions, in which he said he advises students who are attracted to members of the same sex to remain celibate for the rest of their lives. They also criticized the priest for a fiery blog post he wrote last May, calling gay relationships “unnatural and immoral” after President Barack Obama came out in support of same-sex marriage.

What do they want from this priest, a statue of a goat, and a Dionysian revel?

Until this priest renounces his faith they will not be happy. I however am joyous there are still men of faith.

This story is as old as time

Mark 6:17 For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias’ sake, his brother Philip’s wife: for he had married her.
18 For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother’s wife.
19 Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not:

22 And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.
23 And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.
24 And she went forth, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptist.

These cowardly weaklings. If they were strong in their own ‘religion’ they would not fear this priest. Behind the priest is the Cross, which is the sacrifice of Christ who did not reject the adulteress, the fornicator, but told her go and sin no more. Can’t get away from that by silencing this priest.

entagor on April 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Thus is it ever with cafeteria Catholics.

“I’m Catholic, but only insofar as you affirm my choice to go against the catechism.”

Kensington on April 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

We must also burn the offending source of this priest’s anti-p.c. heresy- The Bible.

It must be incinerated in the Quad!

It’s the only way to demonstrate tolerance!

profitsbeard on April 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I’m happy that “cafetaria Catholics” are 99% of the people who call themselves Catholic. Too bad, they don’t have the sense to quit funding the Catholic evil.

thuja on April 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

A dozen students, not even a Baker’s Dozen?

Tell them that you’ll pray for them and send them packing!

RJL on April 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Another day, another instance of proglodyte hate mongering and anti-religious bigotry.

locomotivebreath1901 on April 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Why yes, this is all about love and tolerance. Just give them gay marriage and they will … err … respect you in the morning!

Catholic moral teaching about homosexuality derives ultimately from Jewish Torah; and Torah from the earliest endeavored to resist and repair the predatory dysfunctions of the Archaic world. Be unsurprised as those dysfunctions openly reemerge in our world as we willfully abandon the Western patrimony.

One may explore the formative relationships between Christian moral teaching and these predatory dysfunctions here: In Search of Paul: How Jesus’ Apostle Opposed Rome’s Empire with God’s Kingdom

Mike OMalley on April 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM

You mean rump ranging and beastiality aren’t building blocks of the Catholic faith?

acyl72 on April 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I wonder how many years of intense study and communal up or down twinkle sessions it took before they figured out he was a Catholic.

HotAirian on April 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM

This entire country is absolutely insane . . . the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum.

rplat on April 9, 2013 at 8:27 AM

’m happy that “cafetaria Catholics” are 99% of the people who call themselves Catholic. Too bad, they don’t have the sense to quit funding the Catholic evil.

thuja on April 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

This comment is uncivil and uncalled for. Why don’t you go somewhere else and spew your filth? I am not Catholic, but what you have done is deliberately, and uncalled for, insult all the Hot Air Catholics. You disgust me.

Old Country Boy on April 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM

thuja on April 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

She’s the devil.

slickwillie2001 on April 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Awesome on O’Reilly tonight.

Emerald green never looked better…

“sigh”…

Khun Joe on April 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yes, but the murdering terrorist Boudin deserves an assistant professorship at Columbia because she offers a “unique” sociological perspective or something.

Oh and this;

That’s called moral guilt and indicative of the fact your soul is in mortal conflict. It’s an existential, natural gnawing at your spirit, telling you that a particular behavior is not only unhealthy but in conflict with the laws of nature. It’s a natural, automatic impulse- one that liberals keep telling you will disappear if only everyone would embrace homosexuality.

Nonsense.

The Catholic Church has a position against the practice of homosexuality in part for this very reason. The antagonists actually accidentally discovered and revealed this phenomena in their letter. But nothing was learned and so they will continue to try and silence anyone who does not agree with them.

Perhaps one day they will learn you cannot silence your own restive soul.

Marcus Traianus on April 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It’s not possible to claim that you’re being discriminated against unless the alleged discriminator has power and authority over you. That’s quite a stretch when it comes to chaplains on campus.

Murf76 on April 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Ummm, no. Sausage is anything that will fit in a skin. You can make it from any meat. Heck you can even make it from congealed blood. (Blutwurst = eeeewwww, and definitely not kosher.) And, there are plenty of beef sausages out there.

GWB on April 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

RJL on April 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM

When did we cross that line in which the wants of the one override that of society? Here in MA there is a transgendered teen boy. He has just gotten the right to use the girls locker room and toilets. The students were told to treat him as a girl. Many girls complained that they did not want to have a boy in their locker room. Their bad attitudes are being readjusted to allow the boy in their locker room. When did we get to the point that that one mentally sick boy’s wants override everyone else? The girl down in RI who was offended by the non-denominational prayer on the wall gets to have it removed because she wants it to be removed. Again the wants of one override the wants of many. People think that the current socialist/Marxist bent of the government is causing our downfall but, a larger part of that downfall is being caused by us constantly changing society to accommodate the few or the one. The needs of the one do not ever outweigh the needs of the many. We as a society have chosen the one over the many and a society cannot function or last if it put the needs of the one over the needs of the many.

Dr. Frank Enstine on April 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Cleombrotus on April 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I dunno, Jesus did tell us to go into a closet to pray.

Nutstuyu on April 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

JFKY on April 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM

GWB on April 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM/blockquote>

I take it you haven’t been to the middle east. Sausage and bacon are generally beef, but they can be lamb, goat, etc. In the US sausage is generally pork. Haven’t you heard of “summer sausage?” I get it every time I take in a cow to be butchered. I will admit that beef sausage meant to substitute for breakfast sausage doesn’t taste the same. However, the simile about sausage at kosher pancake breakfast is not necessarily wrong.

Of course, not being a cognoscente about these things, I suspect “sausage” may have a different meaning to homosexuals.

Old Country Boy on April 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

OK, I can’t sleep and have a loss of appetite because my history teacher is a homosexual. Can I get him kicked out?

CrustyB on April 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

These nutjobs really need a good dose of testosterone. Lots and lots of doses.

Kingfisher on April 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sadly, I don’t know if George Washington U will stay the course.

Is there any Catholic Universities in the US that aren’t run by flaming liberals? Notre Dame and GW are. St. Marys or any of the other schools in the WCC?

I’m not surprised by the gaystapo here; I am surprised none of the usual suspects has shown up to tell us how religious worshippers have nothing to worry about from the gay marriage movement–only the loss of our jobs, our places of worship, etc. if we don’t kowtow to them.

Vanceone on April 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Curse the bishops for engaging Constantine endorsing socialism at all.

MarshFox on April 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Overall our bishops are socialists first… life, religious liberty, economic freedom for them all take a back seat to their statism…

shinty on April 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

.
AAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ……………….

.

That mental image is going linger .

listens2glenn on April 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

This priest doesn’t fit with my experience…

Most priests are basically indifferent to life and marriage philosophy and much more concerned with promoting statism.

This Fr. Shaffer is very unusual.

shinty on April 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

thuja on April 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Yeah, pisses you off, doesn’t it? Good.

I’ll remember to add an additional $10 in your name at the next mass.

Kingfisher on April 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM