Report: Liz Cheney seriously considering Senate run in Wyoming

posted at 6:41 pm on April 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

It didn’t occur to me to mention the Cheneys as a potential dynasty in this post, but it should have. Liz Cheney’s been talking about possibly running some day for years. She bought a home in Wyoming, where Dick was elected to Congress, less than 12 months ago (and denied, naturally, that it had anything to do with politics). She spoke at a local Republican Lincoln Day Dinner in mid-March, which wasn’t the first GOP event in Wyoming she’s attended recently. She published a “stand up and fight” op-ed in the Journal just 10 days ago. All signs point to yes.

But next year? For Mike Enzi’s Senate seat?

Wyoming Republican Sen. Mike Enzi may be gearing up to for re-election in 2014, but that doesn’t mean Liz Cheney is ruling out a run for the Senate seat now.

A source close to the politically active daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney tells The Daily Caller that she is still seriously considering running.

Over the weekend, The Casper Star Tribune reported that Enzi told a meeting of the GOP state party committee that he is looking forward to running for re-election — something he has yet to formally announce.

So Enzi’s in the way. What about other House/Senate seats in Wyoming? There are only two, and they’re also occupied by Republicans (of course):

Many of my friends disagree with me, but my hunch is that Enzi, who has never sought the spotlight in the Beltway, will decide he’s been frustrated being in the Senate minority and so will retire to spend more time with his family. Once he lost the opportunity to chair the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, when Republicans failed to take over the Senate in 2012, one of the best incentives for him to run again disappeared.

But that still doesn’t automatically clear the way for Liz Cheney, since Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) may decide she wants to move to the upper chamber. That would create a quandary for Cheney and her family. If she wants to be a U.S. senator, 2014 is the logical race to enter, because Wyoming’s second Senate seat is occupied by Sen. John Barrasso, who is high in the GOP leadership and isn’t going anywhere else for years.

Would Cheney challenge Lummis in a Republican Senate primary? Cheney could well receive some backlash from Wyoming voters. There’s a stark contrast between Cheney, who has long lived in other states, and rancher, lawyer and former legislator and then State Treasurer Lummis, a native who has unquestionably paid her state political dues. Many people here have suggested that Cheney moved to a state she hasn’t lived in as an adult simply because she saw Wyoming as the only state someone with the Cheney name and legacy could win.

Barrasso’s just 60 years old and got reelected last year with 75 percent of the vote, so that seat’s likely to be occupied until, oh, 2030 at least. Wyoming’s House seat may be vacant sooner rather than later if Lummis ends up running for governor, but I don’t know if Cheney would want to be a face in the crowd in the House. She’s got a perch on Fox News and a national profile with conservatives already; what does she gain, really, by having the honor of casting Wyoming’s reliably red vote in Boehner’s caucus? It’s Enzi’s seat or bust. I hope she takes a shot at it, just because I’m curious to see that primary. For starters, how do you challenge a doctrinaire conservative like Enzi from the right? Conversely, would Enzi try to use her father’s legacy against her in some way? The Cheney brand means something in Wyoming but it’s not an unvarnished good even with tea partiers, I’d assume. (Not unvarnished but still mostly good. I’ve always found it fascinating how conservative activists have mixed feelings about Bush but, in my experience, remain reliably enthusiastic about Dick Cheney. The two share a legacy on TARP, spending, Iraq, etc, but because Cheney remains unapologetically hawkish and willing to fight with the left on things like Bush’s counterterror policies, he’s held in high esteem.) Meanwhile, Cheney would have to deal with accusations that she’s a carpetbagger and the fact that she hasn’t held office before. Would Karl Rove’s new group wade in on her side, out of family loyalty, or avoid the contest on grounds that you don’t mess with a successful incumbent? Hard to see how she wins despite the national grassroots enthusiasm for her, but it’d be fun to watch.

If you’re a hawk, you should hope she runs if only because your side needs an outspoken advocate in the Senate. McCain and Graham are still there but nobody likes them; their nastiness towards Rand Paul arguably does the cause more harm than good. Rubio’s reliably hawkish but he’s also a bit of a weathervane and will tone it down once Rand Paul’s team starts hitting him for being a new McCain at a moment when the public’s tired of war. If you want someone who’ll make the case for peace with strength without reservations, she’s your candidate. Imagine the floor arguments she and Paul would have — with Liz, ironically, sometimes defending Obama’s positions as Paul inevitably makes the isolationist case against them. Endless blogworthy content. It’s up to you, Mike Enzi!

Update: No room to Enzi’s right.

Comments

Cool beans

cmsinaz on April 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Wait till Panetta hears about a government job he hasn’t had yet.

I swear, that guy is the George Plimpton of politics.

BobMbx on April 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Chelsea considers run….awesome
Lynne considers run…..outrage
-lsm

cmsinaz on April 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Sorry Liz

Where is that adult beverage

cmsinaz on April 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

go baby go!

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Hmmm, In a world where politicians’ offspring, Liz Cheney and Chelsea Clinton vie in a distant presidential campaign. :)

hawkeye54 on April 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Yeah… Love Lynn!

melle1228 on April 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Oh goody, political dynasties are sprouting all over the place. We have the Clintons on the left, and the Bushies and Cheneyites on the right. Somehow, it reminds me of N.Koreas political dynasty. Lol

tommy71 on April 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

. McCain and Graham are still there but nobody likes them; their nastiness

…she could take them both on!…on the Capitol floor…or in a street fight…AND… KICK… THEIR… A$$ES!!!!

KOOLAID2 on April 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I like Liz Cheney even though I’m not a big fan of her foreign policy these days (neocon to the core). I would love to see her in Washington slapping down the libs, but there’s no room for her in Wyoming. she needs a wedge issue to bump off an incumbent, how is Enzi on Amnesty? For that matter, where does Liz stand on amnesty?

Daemonocracy on April 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ugh.

What a pansyass way to run for a seat.

Move somewhere uber-safe and try and take on some halfway decent GOP’ers.

Absurd. Barrasso has been decent as has Enzi.

Go for Governor.

budfox on April 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

At least when Liz Cheney talks, she has some extremely intelligent things to say. Not so for Chelsea….

SailorMark on April 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I’m currently eyeing wy to move to. and no I’m not from co or ca.

tom daschle concerned on April 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

SWEET!

gophergirl on April 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Would like to hear from some Wyomingites on this. I have nothing against her, but don’t want to make a reliable seat iffy.

Mark1971 on April 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I needed this great news!!! TY!

Unlike McAmnesty, Vice President Cheney’s daughter actually has something intelligent to add to the conversation and will represent WY and the republic well.

I’m sure when the time comes it will still be be easier to donate to her campaign than buying a box of 45 ACP ammo.

GreatCommunicator on April 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I don’t think Liz Cheney should launch a primary fight against an incumbent. However, if the incumbent chooses not to seek reelection, then she should feel free to toss her hat in the ring and see how it goes. As long as she meets the residency criteria, then it’s fair game. She’ll have to face questions about her commitment to Wyoming, but she’ll also have lots of name recognition that she’s built in her own right. She’s a forceful and articulate advocate for the GOP. We need all we can get!

Jill1066 on April 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

ctmom on April 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I would donate to her.

Enzi has some marks against him…

dforston on April 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM

If we’re lucky, in the near future, we may have a primary fight between the Clintons and Obamas on the left, and the Bushies, Cheneyites and Paulians on the right. Not something I’m looking forward to. Slowly but surely, we’re transforming into a banana republic.

tommy71 on April 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Nice!

The Notorious G.O.P on April 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

“If you want someone who’ll make the case for peace with strength without reservations, she’s your candidate.”

Me likey…

Seven Percent Solution on April 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

“I don’t understand it,” said McCain on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “The purpose of the United States Senate is to debate and to vote and to let the people know where we stand.”

Oh the irony.

Fenris on April 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Please move to South Carolina and run against Grahamnesty!

SouthernGent on April 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Good. She’s a chip off the old block.

mchristian on April 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Hey troglocons, what is Liz’s stance on gay marriage?

Archivarix on April 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

That’s the best news I’ve heard all day

MMinCanonCity on April 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Liz is fantastic, I’ve met her a couple of time in Jackson, Wyo. Enzi definitely has some marks against him, but he and his wife Diana have both been very kind and engaging to me when I met them. They used to be small biz people (shoe stores) and Diana gave me lots of advise on being an entrepreneur in Wyo. I think he’s still the only accountant in the Senate.

Cynthia Lummis is a STAR and I would support her hands down for whatever she ran for.

Jackalope on April 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Also I’ve heard that Enzi isn’t running again…but it was probably 2 years ago that I heard that; obviously things can change.

Jackalope on April 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

hawkeye54 on April 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

..and Dick Morris explodes on Hannity like latter-day Mr Creosote.

The War Planner on April 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Rubio’s reliably hawkish

Rubio is hawkish for fighting for Muslims or more specifically having other Americans fighting for Muslims. Fighting for America and Americans … … not so much.

VorDaj on April 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Forget the Senate – I’m for putting Liz up against Shrillary Rotten clinton in the Presidential contest.

TeaPartyNation on April 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Interesting that AP wouldn’t bring up the issue of same-sex marriage in a post about Liz Cheney. Her support for SSM is, I believe, somewhat less clear than her dad’s, but from what I understand, it’s there. If she were elected, she’d be another pro-SSM GOP senator. And no matter how conservative Wyoming is, its libertarian streak would make it not so much of an issue there. My uncle lives in Wyoming, and according to him, he and the state as a whole tend to be pretty conservative but not so much socially, at least not on an issue like this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a state like Wyoming elect pro-SSM candidates or approve SSM before many bluer states do.

MinnesotaSlinger on April 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Run, Liz, run!

De Oppresso Liber on April 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Rubio was probably the number one pusher for America to use military force to kill Gaddafi which brought real Muslims to power and, among other things, lead to Benghazi. Now he wants to do the same in Syria, in between working toward his main goal of “earnesty” for tens of millions of illegal criminal alien invaders. The man is the plague.

VorDaj on April 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

As smart as her father and more conservative.

Jaibones on April 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

“Effin LESBIAN! I mean…what..oh shiite! Uh…whitey!”

-lib

Bishop on April 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If you could erase that neo-con portion of her brain (you know, like in the only good movie Jim Carrey ever made) she would be an awesome candidate. If she goes into it as an Iraq war/Super Daddy apologist, she may be surprised at the result.

AmeriCuda on April 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Ah I hope she isn’t the Lindsey Graham of the west.

Wigglesworth on April 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM

You Go, Girl!

Another Drew on April 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Not a good idea..:)

Dire Straits on April 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Remember when American didn’t have political dynasties?

Yeah, me neither.

Who’s next? Jenna Bush? Sasha Obama? Malia? Tricia Nixon?

PappyD61 on April 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Don’t think she’ll try to “push” someone out of the way prematurely, but if the door opens I hope she runs right through it.

cs89 on April 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The thought of Senator Cheney is the happiest political I have had in ages.

thuja on April 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I’d vote for a Cheney/Palin ticket in either order.

Knott Buyinit on April 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Cheney/Cheney 2016

HumpBot Salvation on April 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Hell no.

iwasbornwithit on April 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Hell no.

iwasbornwithit on April 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

hepatitis c? HIV? what mentally debilitating disease were you born with?

tom daschle concerned on April 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Liz, please move here to Phoenix, get established and in 4 years kick our “maverick” senator into a long overdue retirement. Our bench here in the “Valley of the Sun” is so weak any new blood would be welcome.

Fynxbell on April 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

tom daschle concerned on April 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Or maybe enough sense not to nominate another liberal GOP legacy to anything higher than dog catcher.

iwasbornwithit on April 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Wyoming likes their Senators and their Rep. However if anyone may be vulnerable, it would be Enzi. The problem Cheney may have is that we have a popular governor, Matt Mead, that I think will be turning an eye towards Washington soon.

Squarestate on April 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Finally, some really great news!! Go Liz!!!

LASue on April 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Then you don’t talk to a lot of freedom activists. His support of the Patriot Act put him at odds even with many hawks.

alwaysfiredup on April 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Hey troglocons, what is Liz’s stance on gay marriage?

Archivarix on April 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Being against gay marriage does not equal living in a cave. Some people are more biologically and sociologically aware than others.

alwaysfiredup on April 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Liz Cheney is running for the Senate? Where do I send my check to?

Conservative4Ever on April 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM