New MSNBC promo: “We have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents”

posted at 10:41 am on April 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Legal Insurrection, between this and Krystal Ball’s Socratic dialogue with a five-year-old about gay marriage, evidently it was indoctrination weekend at MSNBC. The novelty here isn’t the sentiment, it’s the candor. Hillary made this same point more digestible for the public by ladling on warm-fuzzy sauce about a “village” raising a child together. (Similarly, don’t think of huge government programs as budget-busting liabilities. They’re Christmas presents!) Harris-Perry had 30 seconds to give her version of the same point; when you’re operating within those time constraints, there may be no way to make the pitch in terms less creepy than this. I almost want to congratulate her for throwing a word as clammy as “collective” in there. It shows a certain bravado.

Here’s your counterpoint, from 2011, on whether the U.S. is “investing” enough in education. Another half-trillion or so ought to turn things around, I think. No wonder Ron Paul’s getting into home-schooling.

Update: Apologies to John Sexton. He had the Harris-Perry video yesterday and linked to the same USC post I linked to above, but I honestly didn’t see his item at Breitbart until after I posted this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

All your child are belong to us.

Greek Fire on April 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

“Kidth don’t belong to their parenth.”

- Melissa Harris-Perry

steebo77 on April 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

McCarthy was right.

AZCoyote on April 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

She’s a racist communist creep spewing out the standard communist claptrap.

Unfortunately, they feel much more free to spew their propaganda nowadays … and the uninformed, ignorant masses buy it.

darwin on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Alinsky Sex-Ed 101:

“You didn’t conceive that!”

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

If this kind of rhetoric doesn’t creep you out there is something wrong. First they want our money,then guns and now our kids.

major dad on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

They’re getting lazy, they’re not even trying to dress up the pig anymore.

Does Perry have children?

22044 on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The ones we let live, don’t belong to you, because we are the ones who have allowed them to live…you can keep the aborted ones…

Official line of the feds…

right2bright on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Can you believe this ?
Good God where are we going ?
Questions , I no longer have answers .

Lucano on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

All your babes are belong to us.

Maybe the most chilling legacy that Obama will leave behind(aside from Obamacare and the crushing debt) is the degree to which he’s moved the Overton Window for the Democrat Party. What used to be the kinds of things we suspected some Dems believed in(infanticide, living wage, the collective over individual liberty) but would never dare utter in public are now apparently so mainstream within the party that they’ll even proudly espouse those beliefs in TV promos like this.

Doughboy on April 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Official line of the feds…

right2bright on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Interesting, if they have a collectivist view of wealth, then it follows that they have a similar view of kids.

Disgusting.

22044 on April 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Because societies that still live in villages are so advanced and successful.

Otherwise, does this chick have any children?

Ben Hur on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Harris-Perry drooled: “Once it’s everyone’s responsibilitythen we start making better investments [it’s no one’s responsibility.]

FTFY

Cluebat to Marxists:

“If everyone’s responsible for everything… then no one’s responsible for anything.”

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Who the hell would want this Commie scrunt raising THEIR kid?

Maddie on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Why can’t she speak properly? Was she schooled in Barney Frank’s community?

mudskipper on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

End times…?

d1carter on April 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Funny how this seems like it would come from a regime like North Korea..can it be that in 50 years we will degrade into that mindless state?

nicknack60 on April 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

If all children belong to the community then pro-choice is no longer an option, right? I guess abortion will now be a thing of the past according to msnbc.

txmomof6 on April 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I’m not going to waste my time watching the video, because I’m sure they’re proposing some sort of government program to fix our kids for us. That said, community participation in the rearing of children is enormously important. Ideally, local schools, businesses, churches, etc, will partner to give kids safe places to learn and develop. Families will look after each other’s kids, as parents obviously can’t be everywhere at once. A community culture of responsibility and success gives any kid the very best shot at becoming responsible, successful adults themselves.

I doubt that’s what MSNBC has in mind.

LukeinNE on April 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I move that we confiscate any private property of hers, since everything is actually property of ‘the collective.’ I need a new TV, so she needs to pony up.

She shouldn’t mind.

Good Lt on April 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

One children, one State, one Campaign.

forest on April 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The most radical left is in the white house.

Oil Can on April 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Harris-Perry’s banality offers a teachable moment for educational responsibility.

Cluebat to PMSNBC: School choice allows access to quality education options that best match individual children’s learning needs.

But village idiots won’t allow that, will they?

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

“…and since they’re ours, we’ll be using them to tell us whether you have guns, where they are, and whether you hold Bible studies in your home.” –Your Government Party

SailorMark on April 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

She has a daughter…when is she going to turn her over to the state so they can better raise her? She apparently doesn’t think she is equipped to do so.

right2bright on April 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

nicknack60 on April 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Nope. Half of the country might. The other half will break off into something more along the lines of South Korea.

Doughboy on April 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

One children, one State, one Campaign.

forest on April 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I see what you did there.

CurtZHP on April 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Does Perry have children?

22044 on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Evidently, she thinks she has yours.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

nicknack60 on April 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Come on we are already there. That movie Idiocracy is what the US will look like in 20 yrs.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

The mask slowly gets removed each day, doesn’t it?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

nicknack60 on April 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

At the rate we are going, I think it’ll be sooner than later.

tru2tx on April 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So, when I see some libtard’s designer kid acting like a spoiled brat in public, I can put a boot in his ass, right?

Didn’t think so.

CurtZHP on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

God help her children.

If I was her kid, I would want to abort myself.

NavyMustang on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Can you believe this ?
Good God where are we going ?
Questions , I no longer have answers .

Lucano on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I have answers, and when these petty thugs come a knockin’ I will be happy to share them.

Bishop on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

In the words of the great thinker Antoine Dodson “Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.”

Which reminds me, we need to get over our kind of private idea that your marriage belongs to you. When everyone is free to love everyone, then we’ll have true love in society. Call me MSNBC, I can start work as early as this Wednesday.

CaliSwag on April 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Government is to babies and PETA is to pets.

Fenris on April 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

See also, “Demonic: How the Liberal Mob Is Endangering America

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

When I first heard this I thought this was just some University Prof and it was just par for the course. I never EVER watch MSNBC. When I realized she was some kind of on screen ‘talent’, for a propaganda station, a chill went down my bones.

kurtzz3 on April 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

major dad on April 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The mask slowly gets removed each day, doesn’t it?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Welcome to one of the two main reasons (the other being abortion) that the entire social conservative movement exists.

Doomberg on April 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

More abdication of responsibility.

Cindy Munford on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Makes me wanna buy a gun.

Shy Guy on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Didn’t the National Socialist Democrats say a few months ago that we all belong to the government?

What do they call it when people are owned?

Galt2009 on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

All the more reason to get government out of education, both federally and with the states.

Dusty on April 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If I was her kid, I would want to abort myself my mommy.

NavyMustang on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

FIFY

Shy Guy on April 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

So when did children become privatized things that should be turned over to the collective? What’s next, the state determining which children need to be aborted for the good of the collective?

Why not just round children up and make them wards of the state from the very beginning?

Melissa Harris-Perry is evil. May she burn in hell. And if she has kids, somebody really needs to take them away from her. They deserve to be kept safe from such a vile human being.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

CurtZHP on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Heh. Thank you for the thirty-second fantasy…..

SailorMark on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

OT: Begin familiarizing yourself with Obama’s Common Core for education. I’m disappointed that Hot Air isn’t addressing this. Think kids are indoctrinated now? Just wait. The weekend before last, my local paper was lauding the adoption by the local archdiocese of the Common Core nonsense. These phucking idiot Catholics have no idea that within five to ten years Common Core dictates will be used to require them to celebrate homosexuality in their classrooms.

On topic: as someone with no kids, I agree with this sentiment only in the sense. Children are the responsibility of their parents. The responsibility of all other adults–childless or not–is to uphold standards of conduct that don’t undermine what’s presumably being taught at home. For example, acting like an adult, not a jacka**, in front of kids. In short, don’t leave it to parents to have to explain your behavior to them.

BuckeyeSam on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Can anybody really blame them? Between the overwhelming number of abortions likely attributed to liberals, and a lower birthrate for white liberals in general, the only way they can propagate their way is to infect the children of other people (predominantly conservatives). The conservatives have not completely exited the public school system is a testament to how deep the indoctrination goes.

So who’s more to blame? Them for propagating their ideology the only way they can, or us for allowing them do that to our children?

mintycrys on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

What do they call it when people are owned?

Galt2009 on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

pwned

Shy Guy on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Jonah Goldberg wrote all about this in Liberal Fascism 5 years ago. Worth another read.

visions on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

What do they call it when people are owned?

Galt2009 on April 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Slavery Freedom!

Good Lt on April 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

CurtZHP on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

*sprays coffee*

visions on April 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Every time I read or see something like this that poetic snippet from Orwell’s 1984 haunts me…

“Under the spreading chestnut tree

I sold you and you sold me…”

GreenBlade on April 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Fenris on April 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Saw a T-shirt this weekend:
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals.

IrishEi on April 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Liberty accepts personal responsibility of the individual.

Tyranny abdicates personal responsibility to the State.

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The mask slowly gets removed each day, doesn’t it?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

They’re not even bothering with any kind of mask anymore. And, Hot Air, thank you for posting this so that we can comment on it. This is very scary, indeed.

HiJack on April 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Bishop on April 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

But by then it is too late. Conservatives are the worst about ignoring a problem until it reaches critical mass.

In a sane world a thousand conservatives would tar and feather this woman the second she stepped out of the MSNBC studio.

ClassicCon on April 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Did everyone know that “Obamaphones” was a Republican idea? http://colorlines.com/archives/2013/04/the_truth_about_so-called_obamaphones.html#.UWLZgCqbkrw.facebook

libfreeordie on April 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Darnit if I had known this before I could have had my kids next door mow my yard. matter of fact my daughter across the street could have cooked our dinner, and well, darnit, all my boys that live nextdoor and all the free car washes I missed.

\DARN DARN DARN!

P.S. just don’t bill me for their schooling, oh, never mind I pay property taxes so I already am!

losarkos on April 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

the republican idea about phones was for landline so people could call 911.
no big deal, till improved by those dems.

losarkos on April 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Glad to see this spotlighted at HA. This is some very, very dangerous sh*t. And the left has now become emboldened enough to push it.

petefrt on April 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The stench of Troll is curiously missing from this thread. Funny, that!

Thomas More on April 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

No wonder they want our guns, makes it easier to take our kids. As a refresher we all should watch “The Killing Field’s” to remember what Pol Pot did…….take the guns, kill the adults, and reeducate the children.

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Kmer Rouge comes to mind.

wolly4321 on April 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Crap, spoke too soon.

Thomas More on April 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Did anyone notice how are children are now “investments”.

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

BuckeyeSam on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

That isn’t what Harris-Perry said at all. Just the opposite. Who are you to inflict your privatized views on children. It is the collective that will teach them to embrace gays, gun-grabs, amnesty, and all the rest of the left-wing agenda.

Happy Nomad on April 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I think Charlton Heston’s unrelated proclamation fits here…….
“From my cold, dead hands !”

mdavt on April 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

yeah..you break through that private idea ya got on my nephew
and aunt B9 will break every bone in your neck.

bazil9 on April 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Yeah, it’s always been one easy step to go from: Repubs had the Obamaphone idea firs, to lefty twits eyeing our kids as State property.

Thomas More on April 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

We need to call this what it is “creepy”, and not be afraid to confront it head on. Any conservative on MSNBC needs to be outspoken on this or be excommunicated from conservative causes.

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Unflippingbelievable!

renalin on April 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

How do all you bitter clingers expect raise your children properly when you’re sitting in a Gulag for having committed a serious weapons charge like being in possession of a fifteen round mag, huh?

antipc on April 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Children of the State.

portlandon on April 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I find both the MSNBC video and the Ron Paul home school curriculum equally disturbing.

BohicaTwentyTwo on April 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

libfreeordie on April 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Your purposeful evasion on the topic in this thread is very telling.

Something relevant you’d like to add?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

No wonder liberals are so worried about guns, they know we will shoot when they come for our children.

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

How sweet to live in a world where there is no personal responsibility. IT DOESN’T WORK. I am always amazed how easily it is to turn people into sheep being lead to the slaughter.

lea on April 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Terp Mole on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

They are stupid people. They haven’t learned from the “tragedy of the commons” and its affects on the environment. Now they want to transfer the same cr*p to children.

chemman on April 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

There are no conservatives on MSNBC.

Bitter Clinger on April 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Her community is crime ridden. No one would her community to raise their children.

Blake on April 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

“We haven’t had a very collective notion of ‘these are our children.’”

The People’s Cube Interactive Collective Quiz
Fun With Quotes: Guess Which Collectivist said it…
…and find out the true meaning of the Common Good™

ITguy on April 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If MS-NBC believes that children belong to the community then why isn’t the same standard applied to MS-NBC? MS-NBC must belong to the community too, right?

Kingfisher on April 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

There are no conservatives on MSNBC.

Bitter Clinger on April 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I’m thinking if Rand Paul were on for an interview, he should say something to the host about it…..make an issue of this.

Tater Salad on April 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Your purposeful evasion on the topic in this thread is very telling.

Something relevant you’d like to add?

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Be kind to him. The voices in his head keep telling him to write this nonsense.

Kingfisher on April 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.
Vladimir Lenin

Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.
Vladimir Lenin

kingsjester on April 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

The “community” raising many inner-city kids are commonly referred to as “gangs”.

Bitter Clinger on April 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

These slimy idiots could only be found on MSNBC . . . figuratively speaking, they should be given no quarter.

rplat on April 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Gesellschaft can dress up like gemeinschaft all it wants, but its still gesellschaft. You spend 200 years destroying family and society and suddenly, it’s back to ‘the community’?

Do they even know why a village raises a child? Is it because of warm fuzzies? Indoctrination?

I won’t hold my breath on the answer. Anyone who has at least one kid and no nannies knows the reason.

RiverCocytus on April 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

This is the same woman why said it was ok for Michael Vick to kill dogs because of the negative relationship of dogs and blacks in history.

sentinelrules on April 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I think MSNBC Execs should take the lead and place their children in public schools immediately.

stuartm650 on April 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My children do not belong to you, you hateful, oppressive b!tch.

Jackalope on April 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

She’s an urban African American, a population sector notorious for their affinity for communal child rearing. Otherwise, they’d know more often who their daddies are.

Archivarix on April 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

mintycrys on April 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I have been saying this to conservatives since I got involved with home schooling my children in the 80′s. I took more guff from conservatives than libs over it then.

chemman on April 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

libfreeordie on April 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The key point.

In 1996, a Democratic-led Congress made two key revisions to the Telecommunications Act in keeping with the FCC’s overall mission to provide universal telephone service. First, in a nod to the growing use of hand-held cell phones (rather than “car phones”), and the eventual decline of landlines, the law described “universal service” as something that would evolve. Between 1997 and 2007, the number of wireless subscribers in the United States grew from from 47 million to more than 243 million.

Second, Congress began requiring every company offering telephone service across state lines to contribute a portion of their annual profits to a newly established Universal Service Fund. Contributions to the fund would help underwrite telephone costs for low-income households.

With the 1996 law, the FCC created a federal subsidy that would, in effect, pay for itself. If telecom companies paid a portion of their profits to the Universal Service Fund and agreed to extend service to low-income and rural households, they’d see the money again in the form of a federal contribution.

I was around and involved with trying to stop this Act.

Gore spearheaded the effort to flip its purpose, intentionally, as a way to tax cell phones on behalf of the Big Bells who were losing money on home “installs”. Everyone at the time knew the added cost was going never going to be paid for by the companies, but passed down in billing. And it’s remained that way ever since.

Telecom ’96 is a monster bill that we’re still feeling the effects from. It’s as bad as anything that’s been passed through Congress and it’s what turned me totally away from the Dems.

Once again, Lib, you blindly kneel-n-bob to the fed govt, without having any idea what you’re sucking from.

budfox on April 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Troll free

Kataklysmic on April 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think Charlton Heston’s unrelated proclamation fits here…….
“From my cold, dead hands !”

mdavt on April 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My youngest are soon to be 17 years old and they were raised right by my wife and I and no “schooling” can change that. We will be discussing this and the passing of a Great woman (Thatcher) tonight.

VegasRick on April 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

So, how much say do I get into what schools Obama’s kids, I mean my kids that live with Obama go to?

I suggest Chicago public school for them.

RalphyBoy on April 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM