Video: New “Great Gatsby” movie looking kind of awesome

posted at 6:01 pm on April 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, I’m considerably warmer to the project after seeing this than I was after the first trailer nearly a year ago. It’s perfectly cast, and even by Baz Luhrmann’s standards, there’s a lot of eye candy onscreen. Oddly, I think I’ll be more intrigued to see it if the reviews are bad than if they’re good. How does a film about this book, that looks like this, with actors this prominent, fail to work? But then, I felt the same way after seeing the “Prometheus” trailer and we all know how that turned out. The less said, the better.

If you don’t go see it, they’re just going to end up giving you more superhero movies, you know. Or worse.

Comments

No, no, no.. Leonardo is not Gatsby..

Futhermore, all attempts at making Gatsby have been mediocre at best, because the genius of Gatsby is Fitzgerald’s writing which does NOT translate to screen…

He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete

How the heck do you translate that?

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I’m sure it will be filled with out-of-place modern music and all sorts of mugging/overacting like Moulin Rouge was, and that was one of the worst films of all time.

gumbyandpokey on April 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Unlike most, I was never assigned The Great Gatsby to read in school. I finally read it when I was about 30 years old. I found it mediocre. Don’t get the classic status.

Mark1971 on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have to say as a woman I never got the attraction to Leo DiCaprio. I’d still see this but probably in spite of his lead in the movie.

msmveritas on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Boy, Leonardo is starting to look older.

Crap, that makes me older too.

portlandon on April 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

To me, that dud of a film with Robert Redford, and other prominent actors, back in the ’70s failed. So ask them.

hawkeye54 on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

msmveritas on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

he was great in the aviator.

rob verdi on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

msmveritas on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Me neither.

Boy, Leonardo is starting to look older.

Crap, that makes me older too.

portlandon on April 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Shhhh.. He is a year younger than me. :)

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Moulin Rouge + Titanic + The Aviator + Romeo & Juliet = Great Gatsby

portlandon on April 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I have been watching many foreign movies since getting Netflix. My suspicions have been confirmed, Hollywood sucks. Remakes, old ideas, over the top special effects, liberal agendas and overpaid actors.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Illusions vs reality – isn’t that the whole point? You, the viewer, will be Gatsby.

rw on April 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Are there Cuban paratroopers, because I’m not watching unless there are paratroopers.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

How the heck do you translate that?

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

CGI, club mixed songs and about 2000 shots of people staring deeply…

nextgen_repub on April 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Only slight OT: Roger Ebert has died.

greggriffith on April 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The music doesn’t seem to match the period.

NeoKong on April 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Woops – saw the Ebert story had just slid out of the headlines.

Maybe it’ll be new to Ace…

greggriffith on April 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Funny enough saw the trailer for this when we went to see Prometheus in 3D. The theater didn’t set up something right so this and the Pi trailer played with all the 3D fuzziness and lines regardless of the glasses or not.

Didn’t mind Prometheus because of Michael Fassbinder. Maybe they should have casted Fassbinder as he’s worked with Carey Mulligan before in “Shame”, which was a very good movie.

I’d go for sure if they had Fassbinder in it. ;)

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Dicrappio. Can’t watch him anymore. Another actor who has just been too much of a public self-righteous whiny D-B that I can no longer separate him, the public D-B, from any role he plays. Hence, I just can’t suspend disbelief enough to get into any of his movies. He goes on the list with Damon, Sarandon, Robbins, Clooney, Streisand, Fonda, Fox, etc. I think Carrey has now joined that list as well.

deepdiver on April 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Looks like a lot of typical CGI and graphics pyrotechnics crap thrown all over the production that’s designed to attract today’s movie audience that’s conditioned to shallow space cartoon and action movies and cover for lack of depth and character development.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

No kidding. Hollywood could never made a movie like “The Lives of Others” or “Raise the Red Lantern” (as mentioned in a headline thread).

They’d get stuck on insisting that the actors speak with bad accents or dubbing.

Give Tarantino credit – in “Inglorious B@sterds” he kept the subtitles and made the audience accept them.

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Don’t think I’d be watching even with Cuban paratroopers. Not to say they wouldn’t liven up the plot.

hawkeye54 on April 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Only slight OT: Roger Ebert has died.

greggriffith on April 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

ft

He was a hateful leftist jerk, but I hope that he was right with Christ.

Jaibones on April 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Stunning visuals, but the “music” urban-yodeling is insufferable!

happytobehere on April 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM

We vote with our Pocketbook.

We will be voting NO on anything Leo DeCaprio (Al Gore’s intern).

PappyD61 on April 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

…..and Beyonce is connected to the movie too?

UGH, DOUBLE NO.

PappyD61 on April 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Needs moar auto-tune!

happytobehere on April 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM

If I’m outside NYC while it’s playing I’ll catch it in the theater, otherwise wait for dvd. No way I’m paying $14 or more to see any movie in the theater these days.

Ukiah on April 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I’d go just to go with my 20 year old sister and my teen cousins and dress up in flapper gear. Figure my 39 year old self can get away with it if I am the “adult chaperone.”

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Right off the top you named two that were on my mind. Twilight Ninja, Owl and the Sparrow and Ran are also great ones I recently watched.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

No new ideas, just new ego with great limitations.

Hening on April 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My Dad was an extra in the 1974 version — 30 minutes in, in a party scene, he’s the guy in the seersucker suit. They filmed part of the movie in Newport, RI, and a lot of officers attending the Naval War College (my Dad was a USAF pilot at the time, studying under Adm. Stansfield Turner) were recruited as extras for the film because they already had appropriate 1920s-style (i.e., short) haircuts.

clayj on April 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Amen, brother!

SailorMark on April 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Carey Mulligan always looks like she’d cry if you farted in front of her.

It's Vintage, Duh on April 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Beyonce is on the soundtrack? Ugh. She’s getting as overexposed (no pun intended) as having Whoopi doing voices in animated movies.

KS Rex on April 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The period music really sells the 1920s era.

Oh wait, they didn’t have Roland 808 drum machines with that cliched analog synth cowbell sound in the 1920s? Go figure.

Ed Driscoll on April 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Fitzgerald is spinning in his grave, it looks to be a big mess.

echosyst on April 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

clayj on April 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Cool!

KS Rex on April 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Why does every new film require jungle music?

echosyst on April 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Yes because movies that spend two years delaying it’s release while re-editing it over and over to make it somewhat watchable are always great successes. Why just look at, ah, ah, I’ll have to get back to you on that.

lowandslow on April 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

How much carbon dioxide did this movie expel to make Leo?

Bah, I’m still going to see it.

LaughterJones on April 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The original version of ‘The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest’, ‘The Seven Samurai’ and the international version (2 discs)of ‘Red Cliff’ are all good. You can’t find it anywhere, I guess, but, ‘The Tall Blonde Man With One Black Shoe’ is great, too. One of the funniest movies ever made.

trigon on April 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I also didn’t find the book a classic. It’s kind of clunky and self-important and big on despair. It needs something, and Baz Lurman could be it.

PattyJ on April 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM

he was great in the aviator.

rob verdi on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

And great in The Beach. And great in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. And great in Blood Diamond. And great in Titanic. And great in The Basketball Diaries. And great in Shutter Island. And great in The Departed.

But other than that, yeah, he pretty much blows.

John the Libertarian on April 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Even better was the Gibson flick Apocalypto.

John the Libertarian on April 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

trigon on April 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Thx for the info. Red Cliff is in my cue but I don’t know if it is the same as getting the two DVD’s.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Any Tobey Maguire narration just makes me think of Cider House Rules.
Barf.

portlandon on April 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I am still reading that book I started 20 or 30 years ago….great for insomnia.

CW on April 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I’m a movie nut. But nothing in this trailer makes me want to watch this. Usually, when film makers have to go heavy on the visuals and soundtrack, it’s because they are trying to cover up for a lack of substance. Who knows, I could be wrong in this case, but I won’t go out of my way to watch this. Maybe if I’m stuck in a hotel with jet lag on business bored out of my mind and it’s on HBO and there is absolutely nothing else on I’ll give it a chance. But, at least based on this, I doubt that even then I’d make it 20 minutes into it. I really want to see Spring Breakers. But I haven’t had a chance yet because I’ve been busy with work.

WhatSlushfund on April 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I am still reading that book I started 20 or 30 years ago….great for insomnia.

I had to read it in 11th grade American Lit class. A book that doesn’t appear on my read it again list and never will. I’d sooner re-read “The Cat in the Hat”.

hawkeye54 on April 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Even better was the Gibson flick Apocalypto.

John the Libertarian on April 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

That one just hasn’t interested me, but you say it’s a good one?

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Yeah. There’s a 1 disc abridged version. It might even be dubbed into English. It has about half of the movie edited out. I’d hold out for the 2 disc version.

trigon on April 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I’m kind of getting tired of watching Leonardo DiCaprio play his same Oscar-bait Character.

HitNRun on April 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Perfectly cast???

Leonardo DiStupido???

I’m sure F. Scott Fitzgerald is rolling in his grave.
Maybe DiStupido can limit his acting to Upton Sinclair novels.

Kini on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

My 20 year old daughter saw it Tuesday. She said it was the worst movie she has ever seen and nearly walked out. Her 3 friends of the same age agreed.

Check out yahoo movies.

Save your 10 bucks.

CW on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

HitNRun on April 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I did like his ending in Titanic. Warmed my hateful heart.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Even better was the Gibson flick Apocalypto.

John the Libertarian on April 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

That one just hasn’t interested me, but you say it’s a good one?

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I loved it. I didn’t think I would.

CW on April 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

“And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in the vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. . . It eluded us then, but that is no matter– tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther, and one fine morning….
So we beat on, boats against the current, born back ceaselessly into the past.”

Prose doesn’t get any better than that.

tommyboy on April 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I loved it. I didn’t think I would.

CW on April 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Hm. Okay. Will have to monitor the mood. ;) Thanks!

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Check out yahoo movies.

Save your 10 bucks.

CW on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Well, maybe you’re right. Obviously I can’t comment, since I haven’t seen it yet. But I grew up in Florida, and have done more Spring Breaks than I can count. I’ve lived a dark life. I could tell you stories that would turn your hair white. So I’ve still got to check it out. Plus I have a major thing for Vanessa Hudgens. The girl refuses to keep her cloths on! How can you say no to that?

WhatSlushfund on April 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Boy, Leonardo is starting to look older.

Crap, that makes me older too.

portlandon on April 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Well, if you were getting younger, that temporal distortion would probably be a sign of things a whole lot worse.

Oh, and BTW, the movie looks teh awesome!!

JohnGalt23 on April 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

No, no, no.. Leonardo is not Gatsby..

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Hey, I’ve made more than my fair share of fun at the expense of Leo. My favorite part of Titanic was when DiCaprio died.

That said, when he is good, he is awesome. Jim Carroll, brilliant. He was Howard Hughes.

I’ll give him a fair shake for this story…

JohnGalt23 on April 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

msmveritas on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Agree. He’s always looked like a Pug dog to me. I don’t get the leading man thing at all… zero sex appeal.

Fallon on April 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I happen to like DiCaprio’s acting, even consider him one of finest in the business when it comes to pathos and tragedy. I see possibilities here.

rrpjr on April 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Perfectly cast???

Leonardo DiStupido???

I’m sure F. Scott Fitzgerald is rolling in his grave.
Maybe DiStupido can limit his acting to Upton Sinclair novels.

Kini on April 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

He lacks the gravity to portray a college frat boy with conviction. He’s a little pansy and he can’t overcome it. The only role I remember him winning was in Catch Me if You Can, where he played a 17-18 year old passing himself off as a real person. Sort of a metaphor for his life.

Jaibones on April 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

No, but there will be Packers paratroopers!

grouchy1 on April 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

msmveritas on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Me neither, then we saw Titanic, and that cemented my extreme dislike for him. The only other movie I watched because I’d heard about Frank Abignale and was curious about him was Catch Me If You Can. I doubt Abignale was the whiny, petulant character DiCaprio portrayed him to be.

I don’t think I’ll bother with Gatsby.

PatriotGal2257 on April 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Man, that looks awful. If the trailer is this bad, why would anyone think that the movie would be good? Am I missing something?

Pork-Chop on April 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

You are sooooo beta it hurts, AP.

Aquateen Hungerforce on April 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

he was great in the aviator.

rob verdi on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Meh, that movie was disappointing. He was miscast, the one playing Ava Gardner was woefully miscast, and the only bright spot was the woman who played Katherine Hepburn, Cate something, an Aussie.

ddrintn on April 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Lots of books about Calvin Coolidge, the US President who presided over the real economic boom of the 1920′s.

I can’t say I’m terribly interested in the fake history of the 20′s presented in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s fiction.

Coolidge
by Amity Shlaes

Why Coolidge Matters: Leadership Lessons from America’s Most Underrated President
by Charles C. Johnson

Calvin Coolidge: A Documentary Biography
by David Pietrusza

hatespam on April 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Who gives a crap if they are going to give us more comic book movies? Most of the people on this website don’t go to the movies anyway so that’s a dumb statement to make, lmfao.

Sammo21 on April 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Mark1971 on April 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I agree. Those writers that came up in the 1920s – Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Hemingway, to name a few, were rather bland, to my mind. Gatsby was acclaimed classic by left-wing intellects that celebrate its portrayal of the successful American, damned by his success.

rickv404 on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

rickv404 on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Hmm. I honestly haven’t read much Fitzgerald, but Faulkner and Hemingway are truly great. Let’s not get carried away.

ddrintn on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

So instead of the greatest American music ever written -ie 20s Jazz, we have this crap…

TexasJew on April 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

IMO, nothing with Tobey Maguire in it is perfctly cast. But I’ll see anything with DeCaprio in it. I seriously don’t think he has ever made a bad movie, and I expect this one will be better than most think it will.

rockmom on April 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

deepdiver on April 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I’m with you, but have to add Sean Penn, Tom Hanks, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep. I will never spend another dime to see films with any of these self-important a$$e$ either.
I have always loved to go to the movie theater but these days, the crap that Hollywood churns out is not worth seeing, and the ‘stars’ grow ever more tiresome as they live their lavish lifestyles and presume to tell the rest of us, who actually work for a living, how to live.

maryo on April 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I’m done supporting the far left in Hollywood.

Kjeil on April 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I think it looks good. I like DiCaprio; he has made some good movies.

*ducks for cover*

bitsy on April 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Couldn’t agree more. The ‘foreign’ movies on Netflix are real mana, Hollywood suckz big time.

jimver on April 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

That one just hasn’t interested me, but you say it’s a good one?

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Apocalypto is really brave film making. As CW can attest, it’s a great film. All local Mayan descendants speaking their indigenous tongue, you get an intense flavor for what Pre-Columbian life was like.

John the Libertarian on April 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Who’s the little girl playing Gatsby?

Bigurn on April 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM

he was great in the aviator.

rob verdi on April 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

ddrintn on April 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Perhaps some of the movie was lacking, but I swear he turned into at Howard Hughes during the testimony scene.

rob verdi on April 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM

How the heck do you translate that?

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Typically, you don’t. But Baz Luhrmann has a history of creating a movie experience that sort of defies description. Moulin Rouge is the prime example: an Orpheus tale about an Orpheus tale, and to inform the audience as to how self-aware the movie is, they pitch it to the weasely duke to the tune of the most universally-recognized piece from Offenbach’s opéra bouffon, Orpheus in the Underworld. Lurhmann just has a way of creating a film experience that can’t be fully realized in words, which might make him just the director to adapt a book that can’t be fully realized on film.

… if that makes any sense…

That one just hasn’t interested me, but you say it’s a good one?

kim roy on April 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Almost as good as Braveheart or The Passion, Gibson’s other two films. Which should give you a good idea of what to expect when you sit down to watch: a very visceral (read: bloody) film that examines historical events through a lens that is… I won’t say “fictionalized” so much as “layered reality”. Take that for what you will, but I enjoyed it for much of the same reasons I liked the other two, even though the subject matter didn’t appeal to me as much as Jesus or Scots.

The Schaef on April 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

And before I get the list of replies, yes, I know Gibson also directed Man Without a Face, so to call them his “other” two films is not 1000% accurate. I think everyone will agree, though, that film is of a different “sort” than the three he did following that.

All of them, though, are curiously keen for introspection; people focus on the raw violence, but often the way the stories look at the characters can be equally raw. Say what you will about his failings, and it is nice to see him finally working again, but his directorial choices are pretty bold, The Passion especially; he warned Jim Caviezel that the movie could potentially stall both their careers, and in many ways it has, but they both took the leap.

But enough about Gibson, on with the Luhrmann!

The Schaef on April 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM