Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on April 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

The gun control debate has shown the president again to be hopelessly detached as a legislative mechanic and ineffectual as a shaper of public opinion. Before writing rhetorical checks that his own party’s majority leader in the Senate, Harry Reid, couldn’t cash, the president might have at least consulted with the wily old son-of-a-gun about what was plausible and adjusted accordingly. He might have taken into consideration Reid’s ribbon-cutting ceremony with National Rifle Association honcho Wayne LaPierre at the Clark County Shooting Park in Las Vegas in 2010…

The president’s push for new gun laws looks, at this juncture, like a complete fizzle. He has failed to sway red-state Democrats and failed to maintain the heightened public support for new gun control laws. The most concrete effect of his advocacy has been, if the anecdotal evidence is to be believed, to stoke increased gun purchases on fears that the government wants to ban guns. He set out to lead a great crusade for gun control and ended up the best friend the gun industry ever had.

***

National Rifle Association vice president Wayne LaPierre said Tuesday that there was no evidence smaller magazines would have resulted in fewer deaths at the Newtown, Conn., elementary school where 20 children and six educators were killed late last year.

“People that know guns — you can change magazine clips in a second,” LaPierre told Fox News. “There’s no evidence that anything would have changed.”

“The fact is, if you’re a homeowner though, and you have someone coming through your door in the middle of the night, why should you be limited to three rounds or four rounds like [New York City] Mayor [Michael] Bloomberg wants to do?” LaPierre said. “A third of robberies involve multiple intruders and people want them for the same reason police want them, for the same reason Capitol Hill is protected by them. Why should you be limited to what some politician believes is reasonable?

***

According to the survey, 48 percent said they believed the government could use background check records to seize guns, while 38 said the government could not. Ninety-one percent favored background checks anyway, and only 8 percent are opposed.

“In every Quinnipiac University poll since the Newtown massacre, nationally and in six states, we find overwhelming support, including among gun owners, for universal background checks,” Quinnipiac University Polling Institute Assistant Director Peter A. Brown said in a statement.

“American voters agree with the National Rifle Association, however, that these background checks could lead someday to confiscation of legally-owned guns.”

***

[Obama] conflates a failed background check with stopping a criminal from obtaining a gun. “Over the past 20 years,” Obama says, “background checks have kept more than 2 million dangerous people from buying a gun.” That claim is based on two faulty assumptions: 1) that everyone who fails a background check is dangerous, which plainly is not true, given the ridiculously broad categories of people who are legally barred from buying firearms, and 2) that a criminal intent on obtaining a weapon will give up if he cannot get it over the counter at a gun store, rather than enlisting a straw buyer or turning to the gray or black market…

He says there is no logical connection between “universal background checks” and gun registration. “We’re not proposing a gun registration system,” Obama insists. “We’re proposing background checks for criminals.” But there is no way to enforce a background-check requirement for every gun transfer unless the government knows where the guns are. Federally licensed gun dealers are readily identified and can be required to keep sale records. Individual gun owners who might dare to sell their property without clearance from the government cannot be identified unless the government compiles a list of them. Hence Obama’s assurances amount to saying, “Don’t worry. We will make a big show of passing this new background-check mandate, but we won’t really enforce it.”

***

Despite a major push from the White House, more states have cut back on gun regulations rather than pass gun-control reforms in the wake of the mass shootings in Newtown, Conn., The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

Five states—New York, Colorado, Mississippi, Utah and Wyoming—have enacted seven new laws tightening restrictions on guns since Dec. 14, when a gunman shot 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School before turning the weapon on himself. A sixth state, Connecticut, passed the toughest gun laws in the nation this week, banning some types of semi-automatic weapons and requiring all gun buyers to undergo background checks before purchases. (Gov. Dan Malloy is expected to sign the bill into law on Thursday.)

***

I asked noted futurist Newt Gingrich today about the possibilities of the 3-D printing movement, and whether they made gun bans irrelevant.

“This is one of these things we’re fascinated with,” he said. “If I can find a cheap one, I’m giving [nephew] Robert a 3-D printer for his birthday. The fact is that I think the F-35 has 800 parts that can be manufactured by 3-D manufacturing. 3-D printing is really beginning to be a really sophisticated thing. The question is: How do you think you’re going to control it? I have a 3-D printer. I decide to make gun magazines. You tell me, gee, there’s a federal law against that. You’re going to fine me? They can’t find the guys who are killing each other in Chicago, but you’ll have to register your 3-D printer? I think we’re right at the tipping point of a world that is amazingly different. We have almost no political conversation about it.”

***

“You don’t have a good argument,” Matthews pressed.

“What you want is control,” Pratt said.

“I’m a pretty libertarian guy on things,” Matthews replied.

“We don’t trust people like you,” Pratt countered.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

I could be wrong on both counts, but it seems to me that politics are factoring heavily into decisions about which voices get promoted, and which don’t. In January, MSNBC featured Neil Heslin’s testimony heavily, while Fox News only reported it as a by-product of their outrage over MSNBC’s coverage of it. At the same time, Fox News played over four minutes of Mattioli’s testimony, while MSNBC ignored it, and CNN barely mentioned it.

I’m not sure if Mark Mattioli has made himself available to the media for interviews, but if so, then cable news shows ought to start booking him. Guns are an inherently political issue, but as Mattioli said at that press conference, we shouldn’t play politics with the safety of our children, and we shouldn’t play politics when deciding which of their parents’ voices we’re willing to listen to.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sinner’s Prayer – Hart/Bonamassa

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Good evening, Walker.

By the way…I was thinking about your nom the other day… don’t ask me why… but you know how random thoughts run through a person’s mind…anyway… it occurred to me that the initials have an interesting pattern…

Sealed With A Loving Kiss Entirely Romantic…. for instance.

Just a thought. :)

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Eat your hearts out fellas… The Moon Goddess is thinking Romantic thoughts about me… ;)

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Have You Heard – Moore

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

The rat race pi**es me off! JMO

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Well, it ought to… If you are “In” the rat race, well, it means, you’re a rat… Even worse… Even if you win the rat race… at the end… you’re still just a rat… O_O

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I look out yonder
Will she roam this way?
Wind currents swirling
Is she here to stay?

I love her immensely
Will I get to play?

Forevermore till infinity runs out of numbers and we have to use letters instead.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM

A lovely poem, strong imagery, and a lovely thought, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I saw her first. Oh look a squirrel. Betcha can’t catch it.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I saw her first. Oh look a squirrel. Betcha can’t catch it.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM

You know.

*sip*

You make me feel a lot less trampy.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM

SW, whats up? Got into a job, bro?

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I’m going with option 7… Somewhere playing with his wood… o_O

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Good night everybody.

listens2glenn on April 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM

SW, whats up? Got into a job, bro?

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Not yet, but I have added about 50 more very nice and polite no thank you notes to my email collection… O_O

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I wrote that poem for you.

Take that SWalker.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Thank you very much, Spark. It’s wonderful, and so are you. :)

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM

. . . maybe if you put some cinder blocks in the bag, it wouldn’t float . . .

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM

The Messiah Will Come Again – Moore

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Sorry to hear that, SW. If you don’t mind me asking, where in Cali are you located? Just a general area, not specifics. I got family there.

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

San Diego county.

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM

The Messiah Will Come Again – Moore

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

But you’re OK tonight and everything, right? Life can be hard and everything, but Jackie needs no immediate rescuing?

*Cheeto*

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM

. . . Bmore now officially Sketchbook’s first commenter. So let it be written, so let it be taught in the schools. :)

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:14 AM

There are admonitions and encouragements in the bible to this effect.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM

SD. K, my bro, the pastor, lives there. That reminds me, I’m expecting a call from him any day now. Hellfire and brimstone sort of dude. :-)

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM

b8

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I’m fine. This, too, shall pass. No rescue required, but thanks for asking, Axefellow. :)

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:19 AM

The economy blows skunk weed.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:19 AM

If I were rich, I’d buy you some crap. If I were handsome, I’d grab you and take you elsewhere for a little while. If I were a god, I’d intervene.

Hey! Wait! I know a god! BRB

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:21 AM

You’re very kind and thoughtful, Axefellow. Thank you. :)

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM

‘Puters. A blessing or a curse? Probably both.

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

As The Years Go Passing By – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on April 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Night Jack. :/

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Nite, Jackie. Sleep well.

tommy71 on April 5, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Yea, that it for me as well, night everyone…

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I have 30 minutes. Anyone, point to something that needs damaging that I haven’t already damaged.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yea, that it for me as well, night everyone…

SWalker on April 5, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Night, SWalker. :) You can give me my purse back some other time.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Howdy HotAir. Couldn’t sleep. Do a quick check and looky here. Tonight’s rotation is GUNS. I wish I could pick the topic, just one night per week. It would be a kick.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM

It’s like an Axe trifecta. :)

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Like whut? Name one 4Grace topic. :)

‘Cause I can’t even guess.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Probably shouldn’t even talk to 4Grace. She always Gilligan’s Islands me like the Professor and Mary Ann anyway. “Night person, person, person, and the rest.”

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Hello, Axe. I have no idea. Whatever idea came to me about an hour before posting QOTD. Probably something silly and totally unrelated to the insanity of current politics. Like, what was the worst faux pas you ever committed? Or, Let’s all speak in Sparky language tonight.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM

ROFL. If I recall correctly, I was saying hello/goodnight to those that I had not already interacted with. I believe you and I had already spoken. My humblest apologies if I am mistaken. :)

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Or, Let’s all speak in Sparky language tonight.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM

lol — o please, no, no no no.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Nah. It’s all right. I quit talking to myself hours ago; I mean, damn, only so much a man can take.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:49 AM

lol — o please, no, no no no.

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Why not? Who knows, you just might win that coveted Out-Spark Sparky Award. (It’s a verrrry interesting statue, I might add.)

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Haven’t played this on in awhile. Ben Harper.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Nickelback: Savin’ Me

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM

*sigh*

Bye, resist’s awesome, totally hypnotizing pouty red lips, but with a repulsive eyeball in there omg — which cause massive emotional confusion, even though they are probably just a photoshopped beanbag chair anyway; an amazing, totally kissable bright red beanbag chair, with an eyeball in there omg;

Bye, graceful Jackie, though you were sad which should never happen;

Bye, playful 4Grace, though you are too good to wear a princess hat;

Bye, Spark, freak;

Bye, anyone still hanging around quietly;

Bye, lurkers, with more sense than anyone here;

A reaction that argues with let it burn.

*sad poof*

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Haven’t played this on in awhile. Ben Harper.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM

O cool.

*repoof*

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Axe on April 5, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Goodnight, AXE! Don’t do a sad poof. I hate sad poofs. :(
I pray for you a good night’s sleep with the most wonderful dreams. And I pray you awake tomorrow with renewed resolve and a smile on your face.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM

One more. Simon & Garfunkel: Scarborough Fair.

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Sleepy now. Goodnight and may God bless your tomorrow!

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Golly 4Grace was here and I missed her. I had a premonition this would happen cause my second chakra spazzed out pleading to me to listen to it. But no I didn’t listen because stupid magic 8 Ball advised against listening to chakra kahn.

That what I named my chakra.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Hey grace might still be here. Only three minutes ago was her post.

Hi Grace. You can’t sleep? Neither can I. Prolly cause your brain is thinking about a billion different things.

My brain is thinking 3 things. Pistol shrimp and B9 are 2 of them. Maybe flan also.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Hiya, Spark! Just closing everything down for the evening. Sorry I missed you! Have you been staying out of trouble? (I know. Silly question to ask Sparky, but I’ll give it a go.)

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM

4Grace on April 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Well its Scrumpys job to make sure I don’t cause mischief. I don’t want her to get in trouble so I try to behave but I almost got B9 banned over putting carpet munching in her easter basket. She was afraid I would get her in trouble over that. Cause she had the basket and not me but I’m the one that gave it to her.

SparkPlug on April 5, 2013 at 3:55 AM

tingles…what a putz….libertarian???

puhleeze

good morning HA…its FRIDAY!!!!!

so ready for the weekend…

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Get your Flak Jacket on. This shjould be fun . O/T: “The Effort to Redefine “Conservatism”” My Take.

kingsjester on April 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

kingsjester on April 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

nice one KJ

The Stand!

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM

dear leader’s budget proposal

more tax and spending….

SSDD

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

Somebody had to say it.

kingsjester on April 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM

On target, KJ.

Reagan’s three-legged stool of true conservatism: a strong defense, strong free-market economic policies and strong social values.

Progs are busy dismantling in every possible way.

indypat on April 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM

indypat on April 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Thank you! Yes, they are. And, I wrote, the “Socially Liberal” among us are their unwitting dupes.

kingsjester on April 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM

good morning HA…its FRIDAY!!!!!

so ready for the weekend…

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM

That makes two of us. And since I don’t intend to spend much time on Gay Air today if all the threads involve the gays, guns, or illegals let me wish you an enjoyable weekend. The forecast here promises this to be the first real weekend of spring.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM

What we really need is 3D precision metal plasma deposition.

If you think things are going to change with plastic, just wait until it is fully tempered metals without the need of a foundry, oven, or mill.

ajacksonian on April 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Enjoy HN…. we’re going to be in the 90′s today me thinks…. summer has started

cmsinaz on April 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

“I’m a pretty libertarian guy on things,” Matthews replied.

“We don’t trust people like you,” Pratt countered.

Even if I trusted Matthews (whoever that is), I don’t trust the guy who takes office after him, or the guy after him, etc.

Socratease on April 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM