Pew poll: For the first time, majority supports legalizing marijuana

posted at 4:01 pm on April 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

Next after gay marriage: Choom?

This isn’t quite as huge as people are making it out to be. It’s a big deal for any pollster to show a majority that’s never existed before, but Pew’s not the first to find it. Quinnipiac reported 51 percent in favor of legalization four months ago. A few days before that, CBS got a 47/47 split on the question. As far back as 2011, Gallup was seeing 50/46 in favor. What’s significant about Pew’s data isn’t the topline number but the details. Support for legalization is up in every demographic, frequently by double digits, with 72 percent of Republicans and 60 percent of seniors agreeing that marijuana has legitimate medical uses. After an 80s-era experiment in “clean living,” baby boomers are rekindling their youthful romance with weed (which we already knew): 50 percent now support legalizing it, which is on par with that group’s level of support in the 1970s. If you compare the rise in support since 2000 for legalizing marijuana to the rise in support for legalizing gay marriage, you’ll find that opinion has changed more quickly towards the former than it has towards the latter. Per Pew, opposition to legalizing pot exceeded support by roughly 30 points at the turn of the century. Opposition to SSM exceeded support by only 22 points or so. For all the ink spilled on America’s rapid “evolution” on gays, they’re “evolving” arguably even more rapidly on weed.

The key data set:

p

The second result there isn’t surprising — Gallup’s seen a turn toward federalism in this regard too — but it’s hard to square the Republican numbers in the third result with the numbers from the first. I think a lot of people treat the basic legalization question as more of a referendum on whether pot use is something society should frown upon. (Although do note: Only 32 percent now say smoking marijuana is morally wrong versus 50 percent who say it isn’t, which is almost an exact reversal from just seven years ago.) When you get more specific about the nuts and bolts of legalization by asking if government should devote resources to enforcing prohibition, even the GOP numbers soar to a heavy majority. If you’re a pro-legalization pol, that’s the way to talk about this issue — not as legal/illegal in the abstract but in terms of cost, both human and pecuniary.

But yes, to answer the question up top, marijuana is next to be legalized. Won’t happen during O’s term but there’s a fair chance it’ll happen during the next presidency — which is too bad, because a Choom Gang reunion at the repeal signing ceremony would have been magical.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wow! If it is legalized, it will be nice for once to not be considered a criminal for minding my own damn business.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Let the states decide. Lower its classification federally. Go after drugs that are actually dangerous.

mythicknight on April 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Dave’s not here!

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when we have a president who’s a dolt on the level of Biden being stoned half the time. Anyone ever meet people who used to follow the Grateful Dead in the 80s?

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

And a majority want prayer in school.
And wanted Al Gore as president (by popular vote), but not Clinton.
We are not a democracy, but a republic.
Not everything is up for popular vote.

LincolntheHun on April 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I don’t think you’d notice the difference. If being wasted kills half one’s brain, zero halved is still zero.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Workplace safety and productivity will suffer. So will traffic safety.

KW64 on April 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Your view of people who smoke weed seems to be lifted from a 30s government propaganda film.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’m 54, and I was in Jr. High and High School in the heady days of dope [grass]. The dopers always looked incredibly stupid, as they tried to keep from giggling in class. I despised their look of rampant stupidity.

When I got to college, a lot of my friends were dopers.

But, I never imbibed. And, to this day, I’ve never smoked a joint.

I just thought I’d reflect my beliefs, in my actions.

I guess if you want to look stoned, more power to ya. It’ll always be a look of rampant stupidity, to me.

I guess I just don’t give a shit, anymore.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Workplace safety and productivity will suffer. So will traffic safety.

KW64 on April 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

What a lame argument for government intrusion into our personal lives. Bet you hate Obamacare though?

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Guess that would have put a stop to our state police getting a truck load(over 4 tons/over 3M) in pot they got yesterday here in S TX in a stop?
L

letget on April 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You never met some of the people I have, when I used to toke up.

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

LOL, I guess that Liam and I are brothers-in-arms.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

When I got to college, a lot of my friends were dopers.

But, I never imbibed. And, to this day, I’ve never smoked a joint.

I just thought I’d reflect my beliefs, in my actions.

I guess I just don’t give a shit, anymore.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I bet you never swore or had a drink either? What an obedient little boy you are! The government would be proud!

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I still think a majority of states will not legalize marijuana at this point. The illegality of marijuana at the Federal level is a joke now after seeing the lack of response to CO and WA. Might as well make it official.

at 52-45 for the topline legalization number, I would still wager that a majority of states will not be legalizing marijuana under state law anytime soon.

weaselyone on April 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I love my fellow “conservatives” who cry all day long about government intrusion into our lives, except when it comes to the arbitrary criminalization of a naturally occuring weed.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Take the business out of the hands of the drug cartels. They say they need more “revenue” so tax the drugs. They’re here to stay like it or not.

Dan_Yul on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

A majority of Americans support being potheads? It would certainly explain their choices of political leaders!

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Dave’s not here!

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Who? Dave? Dave?

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

weaselyone on April 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

In my state, you can’t buy a six pack on Sundays, so you are probably right.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Workplace safety and productivity will suffer. So will traffic safety.

Dude, potheads will get disability if they can’t work and free passes to ride buses and trains. A bonus is that some helpful social agencies will gladly fill in their mail-in or on-line ballot for them every election!

Doritos sales will skyrocket! Double bonus!

hawkeye54 on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You and I are the same age (and, I’ve been to Eskimo Joes’) ayway, I stand with you. I lost two many friends, who started out with it. And, others, who just lost their ambition.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yea!
I mean, what’s the government doing establishing standards and measures?
I hate those intrusions into my life, like food inspectors!
And if Jim Beam wants to water down it’s alcohol but claim it’s full strength, why should the government get involved?
Caveat emptor!

LincolntheHun on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

A majority of Americans have better things to worry about than how you conduct your own life. I don’t smoke marijuana or tobacco but if you do that’s your business, not mine and certainly not the government’s.

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Because all people who consume alcohol are “alcoholics” and we are all “enablers”.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I waded in beer, up to my ankles, in college. As I waded made my way to a 3.8 GPA, with honors, and on to law school. The one thing that I did, harder than party, was study.

But, my stoned friends didn’t do so well. They’d light up during the day, and stay stoned – while I studied.

You be the judge.

But, as per my post, supra, I don’t give a shit if you’re a stoner. That’s your prerogative.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You have no idea what a Conservative is.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Go ahead, smoke and consume with gusto, preferably in the comfort of home. Just wash up and use mouth wash before heading out. The reek of the stuff is nauseating.

hawkeye54 on April 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

So sick of polls in the news. Does anybody have a poll blocker or filter?

shanimal on April 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I don’t support it. I will never support it.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yea!
I mean, what’s the government doing establishing standards and measures?
I hate those intrusions into my life, like food inspectors!
Caveat emptor!

LincolntheHun on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Last I checked, weed isn’t manufactured. I’ve never ever known anyone to die from consuming it.

Good try though.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Bill Cosby said it well during one of his standup routines:

Unnamed Friend: “It enhances your personality.”

Bill Cosby: “Yes, but what if your an a$$hole?”

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Far too much Wall Street money in incarceration for there to be a move on marijuana legalization on a federal basis.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Nice trick, posting as Dan_Yul, also.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

nb4astonerii!

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Take a walk, trollop.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

That’s what you’ll get from quite a few commenters here. Hot Air has become a haven for “social conservative” statists who like government force when it satisfies their sensibilities.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If you can’t make a clear-headed decision, or are impaired in your ability to perceive reality, then it’s most certainly my business.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

You have no idea what a Conservative is.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Apparently it involves meddling in other people’s business.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Liam on April 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

A stoned president beats an affirmative action president all day.

slickwillie2001 on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Then why is alcohol legal again? Are you fighting to have it banned?

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

And lots of other people become hopeless drunks who are total failures or “functional” alcoholics until they’re found out, while being absolutely horrible parents. Still others become mean drunks who commit a major percentage of the physical and sexual assaults in this country. They are also responsible for scores of drunk driving accidents and deaths. Are you actually going to claim that because *you* happen to be someone who can handle their liquor that society should ignore all those people who can’t? And that, in turn, society should ignore all the people who smoke weed and are successful, because a few people you knew became burnouts in order to rationalize criminalizing a plant? Your self absorption and hypocrisy stinks to high heaven. But you’re doing great to feed the pockets of the private prison market, and to keep the size of government huge. So good for you!

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Millions of people can’t do that already — without MJ, nanny.

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Then why is alcohol legal again? Are you fighting to have it banned?

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Put up a measure to ban it, and I’ll vote for it.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That’s quite a cretinous approach to the issue. Most everyone is okay with having booze shops but nobody supports being an alcoholic. Oh, and everyone here supports gun shops – does it mean we all strive to be murderers?

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

A majority of Americans support being potheadsalcoholics? It would certainly explain their choices of political leaders!

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 20131933 at 4:16 PM

Huh.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Well-said, kj.

Did you ever make it to Pistol Patty’s or Spav’s, back in the late ’70s?

GREAT STUFF!

I believe that marijuana will take many to other, harder drugs, and that it, too, destroys ambition.

My Senior year, one of my best friends at oSu asked me to walk with him to the Dean’s office, for a meeting. He wasn’t kicked out of school. But he was put on academic probation, and I don’t think that he ever graduated.

He was a great guy, and a daily smoker.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Millions of people can’t do that already — without MJ, nanny.

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Millions of babies are butchered in the womb too. Frequency is not a justification.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Last I checked, weed isn’t manufactured.

Neither is milk, meat, or grapes, yet they all get inspected for “purity.”

I’ve never ever known anyone to die from consuming it.

Oh, well thank God, YOU don’t know anyone who has died from dope smoking. And in your omnipotence you know all that has occured, and would never tell anything but the truth.
I don’t anyone that had died from playing Russian Roulette, doesn’t mean I recommend it as a past time.

LincolntheHun on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Apparently it involves meddling in other people’s business.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

When you are stoned, in your car, heading straight at me, damn straight, it is my business.

Grow up, Skippy.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Put up a measure to ban it, and I’ll vote for it.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You’re consistent. I’ll give you that. A better attitude than those who say they want alcohol to remain legal because “it already is”.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Never tried it and probably never will regardless of whether it becomes legal or not. However, I would count myself among those wishing to decriminalize it – especially at the Federal level. Legalize it, regulate it and tax the heck out of it.

JohnAGJ on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

The gun analogy is false, since guns can be used to either harm or defend. Let me guess though: booze somehow makes people MORE clear-headed though, right?

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Then why is alcohol legal again? Are you fighting to have it banned?

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Didn’t you know? Getting drunk improves cognitive ability.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Deep down, you gotta know the only thing stoppin’ Dr. Ben Carson from tokin’ up during a session o’ brainsurgeonery is the federal government saying “NO!“.

THE ONLY THING.

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

When you are stoneddrunk, in your car, heading straight at me, damn straight, it is my business.

Grow up, Skippy.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Yep. That’s why driving under the influence is illegal, whether you’re drunk, stoned, or anything else. That law would not change. What makes you think it would?

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Put up a measure to ban it, and I’ll vote for it.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Lies, fairy tales and fallacies.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It’s unfortunate because I’ve always been a fan of the content on the site.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

And, legalizing it is good, why?

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Dubious polls are dubious.

Midas on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Booze and weed can be used responsibly or recklessly, just like firearms. The problem is not the booze, weed, or gun…but the person. Do you disagree?

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Excellently poor analogy. Kudos!

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Put up a measure to ban it, and I’ll vote for it.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I bet you’d ban sex, too. Too bad your parents didn’t.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

You missed my question. I’ll ask again.

What makes you think DUI would not include stoned drivers after legalization, since it already does?

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

This will be the only time that I respond to filth like you.

I’m saying that, when I was in college, I drank a lot of beer – sinner that I am.

And I excelled in academics.

If you want to be a doper, be a doper.

My post, supra, was pretty clear, in that I was only conveying my experiences in college.

Stay stoned. I don’t give a shit what you do.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

What makes you think it would?
MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I’ve highlighted the problem in kingjester’s argument.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Grow up, Skippy.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Really dude? That’s your argument? You don’t think there would be laws banning driving while intoxicated? Wait…there already are.

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses – including addiction – stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders. High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I bet you’d ban sex, too. Too bad your parents didn’t.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That’s silly. Probably just certain kinds of sex. I know there’s several here who want to outlaw homosexuality, but won’t admit it.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Guess who has two thumbs and will be at the 1st ever US Cannabis Cup in Denver? This Hot Air reader, thats who. Sorry I don’t comment that much on stories posted on here though. It seems like people just arguing with each other in threads. Pretty lame!

jephthah on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

JohnAGJ on April 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

As a former Rock Star who watched more of my friends die from drug overdoses than I care to remember, and who is about as ant-drug as you can get, this is a position I could live with. Put the same regulatory restrictions on it as on alcohol or tobacco.

I also agree with Rand Paul in that while I think if you are smoking pot, odds are you’re an idiot, just smoking pot shouldn’t get you arrested or a criminal record.

SWalker on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Excellently poor analogy. Kudos!

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

If you don’t want the analogy used, then don’t use frequency as a justification.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

If we’re talking about smoking marijuana or ingesting alcohol, rather than say using alcohol in strictly rubbing alcohol products or using marijuana in other means, then we’re talking about concerns regarding impairment. And once imbibed / smoked in sufficient quantity, the person ceases to be a competent actor and can no longer be relied on to control their own actions. Unlike guns, marijuana and alcohol both mess with the capacity for individual decision-making.

It’s the cognitive effects which I object to.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I have not and never will be a pot smoker, but favor its decriminalization federally and legalization/regulation/taxation on the state level because:

1. It’s not a dangerous drug and the prosecution and imprisonment of potheads and dealers is a stupid waste of taxpayer money.

2. The states could use another revenue source and I have zero problem with taxing stupidity.

LukeinNE on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I’m thinking the hilarity which would ensue from people drinking in bars but having to go outside periodically to puff a joint because of the “dangers” of second hand smoke, not because of the joint itself.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

And, legalizing it is good, why?

kingsjester on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

1. Reduces the size and cost of federal and state government by: decreasing the beds in county jails, the number of individuals subject to parole and probation administration.
2. Allows law enforcement to focus on violent and property crimes.
3. Provides a revenue stream ala cigarettes or alcohol.
4. Limits the number of citizens with the lifelong punishment of a misdemeanor or felony conviction of a non-violent, victimless crime.

How is that not enough?

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I bet you’d ban sex, too. Too bad your parents didn’t.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Nah, sex between a man and a woman in wedlock is fine. But don’t worry, I’m willing to uphold bans on prostitution — booga booga booga!

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Regulating body positions is not out of question, I heard, and oral intercourse is so fast a road to Hell that the government just must regulate (and tax) it. Oh, and masturbation is genocide, and a great sin to boot.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

It’s the cognitive effects which I object to.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

So we’ll be criminalizing NyQuill and Benadryl then too?

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Nope, would not disagree at all.

SWalker on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

(not making) intellectually bankrupt analogies is on you, slick, not Jeddite.

Jeddite on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

And what is, exactly, your beef with prostitution – I mean, besides being unable to afford a good girl?

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Put up a measure to ban it, and I’ll vote for it.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I’ll give you credit for being consistent even if you are a filthy statist who needs to be defeated.

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Those numbers will slip when they see how high the taxes get. After all, look at the smoking taxes in places like CA. You don’t think that Cali wouldn’t waste a second to cash in on that?

Onto the bigger picture though, Federalism is the answer.

nobar on April 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I guess I just don’t give a shit, anymore.

OhEssYouCowboys on April 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Actually it sounded to me like you were pretty damn proud of yourself, so I guess you do give a shit.

rhombus on April 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

While the effects of marijuana on mental health are only speculative, and recently studies have revealed that fear that it effects kids cognitive capacity have been debunked. Longterm abuse of alcohol is linked to liver failure, kidney disease, brain damage, heart failure, nerve damage mood swings and violent crime.

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Smoke dope and you might get to be preznit one day.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

It just might have something to do with the objectification of people and the buying and selling of them as literal human assets. Y’know, that entire human dignity thing.

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

And I’ll give you credit for being a consistently loony libertarian, even if you need to be regularly smacked down.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

LukeinNE on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I on the other hand have a problem with providing the state with any more sources of revenue. The state and federal governments are corrupt enough already.

SWalker on April 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

The land is on drugs.

1. They voted for Obama, twice.

2. He is on drugs too. When the congress wanted to give him leeway on the sequester he refused. Now, when needing to protect his own looters he wants “leeway”.

Media, combust, from dereliction, you Obama-shit-consuming rats.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Smoke dope and you might get to be preznit one day.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Booze can get you there, too.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Cite your sources.

LincolntheHun on April 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Oh not to mention smoking and dipping tobacco are linked to oral and lung cancer as well as other types of lung disease and heart disease. How many people have died from their use of tobacco, is there anyone who actually thinks that cigarettess, which are a drug, should be criminalized?

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

So we’ll be criminalizing NyQuill and Benadryl then too?

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Drowsiness is certainly a concern when operating motor vehicles. It’s effects are less severe than that of marijuana or alcohol, and it certainly poses less allure for abuse. Would I be willing to consider banning it? Sure. Would I be willing to commit to an outright ban right now? No.

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Booze can get you there, too.

Archivarix on April 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Booze doesn’t have the cachet of the magic weed; this isn’t your father’s Rat Pack any longer.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

mazer9 on April 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I really don’t care what others do as long as it doesn’t affect me. which legalized pot will. do you really think legal pot won’t turn into what we already have with legal alcohol (ie drunk drivers killing people)?

just because you may be responsible when smoking pot does not mean everyone else will.

you are clearly not a conservative if you think we’re about zero government. we do need regulations and laws.

you may also be a bit drug addled if you think today’s pot is a “naturally occurring weed”.

jetch on April 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I eagerly await the day someone intelligent, informed and reasonable enough to do it finally shows up.

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Mind numbing. Thats what it is. So we don’t rise and complain. Cocaine might be next. Lace the MJ with coke. Heck they can lace it with anything. People who be smoking LSD and not know it if it were mixed in. Pandoras box. Thats what they opened.

johnnyU on April 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

So everyone who drinks alcohol or smokes weed is out of their mind drunk/stoned? You talk about “sufficient quantity”. What is that objective quantity? Does one beer make everyone drunk? Two beers? Two shots? Three glasses of wine? One joint? One bowl?

You seem to think the effects of these things are consistent. You would be completely wrong if that is what you think, or you think that behavior with regard to mind-altering substances is consistent.

MadisonConservative on April 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Are we about to see a resurgence of the Temperance movement among social conservatives? Is that what its going to take to end the War on Drugs?

libfreeordie on April 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

SWalker on April 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

In some states, I agree with you. Fortunately we within reason get to choose where we live, and my state is run by people that I believe would happily slash the income tax rate if they suddenly got a windfall from pot taxes.

LukeinNE on April 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM