Democratic gay-marriage pool update: Bill Nelson finally endorses SSM

posted at 8:01 pm on April 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

And so, if only by remorseless process of elimination, at long last the big A wins the pool. I had Nelson and Ayotte as next to flip in the last SSM thread; there are only something like six Democrats in the Senate who haven’t switched yet, so I was bound to be right soon. Kudos to this guy for sparing me the humiliation of missing every call until we were down to one lone Democrat left.

In a statement to the Tampa Bay Times editorial board, he wrote:

It is generally accepted in American law and U.S. society today “… that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I believe that. The civil rights and responsibilities for one must pertain to all.

Thus, to discriminate against one class and not another is wrong for me.

If we are endowed by our Creator with rights, then why shouldn’t those be attainable by Gays and Lesbians?

Simply put, if The Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn’t, and I won’t.

So I will add my name to the petition of senators asking the Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional.

He’s 70 years old, yet apparently only recently did the insight occur to him that both the Declaration of Independence and God point the way towards gay marriage. I’ve gotten used to people on my side of this issue treating it as a no-brainer even though many of them held the opposite view not long ago, but I think Nellie might have just raised the bar on latecomer hubris. I guess if you’re going to drag your feet, you need to make up for it somehow.

Any more flips coming soon? My hunch is that the pared-down core of Democratic holdouts won’t easily be moved in the near term. Your best bet in the pool might be someone from the GOP, frankly. I’ll stick with Kelly Ayotte. I wanted to pick Zombie Reagan but evidently … he’s already declared.

Comments

Congrats, Allah.

McCain will be the next senator to flip and I’ll take Joe Donnelly as the next Democrat to do so.

alchemist19 on April 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Why no mention of evolution? Is that passe?

Mason on April 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I’m thinking that all the sensitive lefties who called and emailed Bill’s office to tell him he is a worthless, old, white POS who should be dragged behind a truck and then lit on fire are probably feeling bad about what they did now that he’s seen the light.

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

at long last the big A wins the pool

Does this mean you’re finally coming out of the closet?

SWalker on April 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Redheads are triste.

Schadenfreude on April 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

**Six DemonRats to Go*,from my sources,er,rumour(s)!

canopfor on April 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

If Nelson were up for re-election next year he’d have a different story.

Oh, and did you know he was an astronaut?

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Why of course. The logic is inescapable.

Cleombrotus on April 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Er,thats **Six Senators to Go**!!

canopfor on April 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So basically he is saying Sacred Honor compelled him to do this?

Rocks on April 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

There is a lot of flotsam and jetsam (and other stuff) floating in that gay-marriage pool. I think I’lll swim elsewhere.

Pork-Chop on April 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I dunno. Maybe they were right.

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

There is too much to say about this facepalm-worthy statement. There is so much wrong with trying to make religious arguments (at least from a Christian perspective) in favor of SSM that it’s laughable.

This parade of politicians suddenly having epiphanies that SSM is OK to them is hilarious. Bunch of hypocrites. If it polled well tomorrow to say that Mohammed was the founder of America, I’m sure they’d jump on that bandwagon as well.

Othniel on April 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Profiles in Courage I don’t know what but it’s not Courage. I don’t get these people at all. If the right to “gay marriage” matters to them then how are they all “evolving” on this issue at the time, like birds on a telephone wire that all follow the first one that takes off? What’s the deal?

Paul-Cincy on April 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

God also made murders and rapists, so should we legalize murder and rape because hey, if it was not His will, they wouldn’t exist, right?

/rolleyes

kaltes on April 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

This doesn’t suprise me. Frankly, I always had the feeling he was gay himself. Just something about him.

BeachBum on April 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I keep waiting for one of these submissive, willowy fruit cakes to screw up and say they support BDSM.

With his neck pinched in like that, you have to admit he certainly looks like he’s been spending his nights wearing a gimp mask for a few years…

Asurea on April 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Othniel on April 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The quoting of the Declaration of Independence, and then, ipso facto, “gay marriage” … voila. It’s nutty. This isn’t a well-reasoned argument. Not when you turn your life-long position on a dime, 180 degrees, in the course of a day, because a bunch of other Senators did too.

Paul-Cincy on April 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

You know I really hate when they use the “LORD” to cite their support for SSM. If Christians get bashed for using their beliefs to object to; then I say supporters aren’t allowed to use the G-O-D the other way either.

Just a thought..

When will O’Reilly accuse the gay side of Bible thumping mmmm?

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Oh, and did you know he was an astronaut?

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

S you’re saying he’s a Space Cadet.

RickB on April 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Additionally, the whole, “They’re born gay!” crap is, well, crap. Genetics that discourage breeding die out, by definition. Exclusive homosexuality, as encouraged by these liberal wind bags, is an evolutionary dead end.

TL;DR: God didn’t make homosexuals a feature; they’re a bug(gering).

Asurea on April 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Asurea on April 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My sister’s best friend swears that once SSM becomes legalized she wants to codify her $lave/Ma$ter contract with her partner in the law, and she thinks it should have the same weight as a marriage via equal protection.

I am at the point where I say “oh he!!, why not?” Its all coming down the pipe.. The private has become public..

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Bishop on April 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Bishop:You sir,have nailed it!:)
================================

MoveOn.org ‏@MoveOn 2h

Congrats to MoveOn member Heather Daneshgar for organizing 5,000 to ask @SenBillNelson to support #marriageequality. http://bit.ly/13VnSJZ
========

Via:
====

canopfor on April 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Me thinks,that after four years of Democrat Operatives,
and working hand in hand with the MSM,and all the Perception/Deception in Polling,and Narrational Hi-Jack
ing,

here we,er,…. the (US of A) are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Once again, the ranks of the foolish golden calf worshipers increases.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

This is typical of the Democrats. They have no scruples and in the case of Nelson, the election is over and he probably won’t run in 6 years. The only people taking a tough stand are the Republicans and, although I don’t agree with them, at least they know they’re taking a tough stand. The Democrats are just duplicitous.

bflat879 on April 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Since he doesn’t seem to care about the traditions or meanings of institutions, I guess he’s also for men entering beauty contests as well.

Still, it’s nice to see Democrats citing religion so much nowadays…

…(?)

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

melle1228 on April 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I was going to make a crack about two girls, the public, and buying tickets, but…

Asurea on April 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

This Nelson announcement is different than all but one that we have seen so far in this spurt of announcements. It’s sincere. Everyone else announcing an evolution has believed in gay marriage since the 1990′s (or in one or two cases for only a decade). In contrast, Nelson is looking at different landscape about gay people, and changing his mind. Nelson’s change is as admirable as Portman’s was!
On the other hand, I am sympathetic to why so many Senators hide their honest feelings on this subject for so long. And why some GOP are still hiding their honest feelings that gay marriage would be moral progress.

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I had Nelson but tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on April 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

If Nelson were up for re-election next year he’d have a different story.

Oh, and did you know he was an astronaut?

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Oh, yeah. He was just re-elected last year so before next time rolls around he can further evolve “upon reflection” if he thinks the wind blows the other way.

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

He’s not going to become going to espose bigoted views again. Not a single Senator who announced a change in views on SSM is going back. You can forget about you own insane bigotry becoming the mainstream position again.

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Nelson is a fake.

I simply cannot wait to give him a piece of my mind. Using the Declaration and God to justify his decision?

Please.

The devil can quote Scripture for his own devices, but Bill didn’t even bother to do that. He just made something up out of whole cloth.

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

It’s sanity to uphold marriage—an institution that’s crossed time, cultures, and religions.

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

It’s bigoted to preserve the meaning of something?

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

It’s all BS for a small amount of votes. Watch out for the backfire.

Wade on April 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

It is far less universal than your unsupported claims make it out to be. The historical record is that there were committed gay couples in ancient Greece. They weren’t called married because marriage was the man owning the woman. The gay couples better reflected the democratic values reflected in the Declaration of Indepedence and the Constitution than the heterosexual marriages of ancient Greece. In ancient Athens, the same ceremony was held for the wife of a new marriage and the introduction of new slave in the household. The exact same ceremony!

Beyond ancient Greece, archeology is full of examples of instutitonal examples of gay relationships, including some of the most successful cultures like medieval Japan.

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

It’s bigoted to preserve the meaning of something?

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Historically, in many cultures, marriage has meant a man’s ownership of a woman. I’d say that’s bigotted.

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I was speaking of marriage, not relationships.

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

In America?

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Please.

INC on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Nelson did nothing that Saint Francis of Assisi wouldn’t have approved of. There has always been a tradition of reasonableness and kindness in our tradition.

But even if you want to condemn Nelson in the way you did, you have to address the moral question of Huckleberry Finn. Huckleberry Finn worried about his sin of helping Jim escape from slavery as it was stealing as defined by his society. Huckleberry Finn finally decides “all right I’ll go to Hell.”

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

In America?

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Cool. If you want to focus in America history, we have a record of changing our mind about many forms of bigotry. Why is this different?

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

HEY! I had Nelson down for Thursday at 6:00!

Although it WAS last Thursday………

Barred on April 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Because the purpose of marriage isn’t to accommodate the gay lifestyle, nor is it to own women, nor is it be bigoted just because you say it is. Because one group cannot engage in some sort of activity it doesn’t mean they have a right to engage in that activity. As a man, I have no right to use the ladies restroom. And I’m not butthurt about it either, because I know there’s a purpose behind it that doesn’t include me. And I certainly don’t kneejerk call women bigots because they won’t let me use the ladies room.

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Bill Nelson at 3:30 on Thursday. He was just reelected so he won’t worry.

Barred on March 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Barred on April 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Maybe everything you said would so awesome, but the fact is the purpose of marriage historically was ownerhsip of women, and man aren’t burned at the stake for using a woman’s restroom. They are just stared at funny.

And yes your views are bigotted. There really is no exucse for the barbaric hateful tortures that your tradition put gays through. Buring people alive for your f**** evil morality is so beyond the pale of anything moral and descent that you should be ashamed of what you have to say. Yes, this tradition that you want to support murdered gay people by torture. Tell me how that makes you feel good about what you say.

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I think somebody has some issues. *ahem*

Othniel on April 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

LOL.

Do you think we care what you scream, you pedophile and child-rape supporter?

NAMBLA has been a member of the International Lesbian and Gay Association for 10 years. We’ve been continuously active in ILGA longer than any other US organization. NAMBLA delegates to ILGA helped write ILGA’s constitution, its official positions on the sexual rights of youth, and its stands against sexual coercion and corporal punishment. We are proud of our contributions in making ILGA a stronger voice for the international gay and lesbian movement and for sexual justice.

But it gets much better with what the lying thuja and gay-sex marriage supporters endorse as THEIR “tradition”.

ILGA’s current positions on man/boy love and pedophilia are explicit:

– In 1985, ILGA adopted a position on “Age of Consent/Paedophilia/Children’s Rights” that urged member organizations to “lobby their governments to abolish the age of consent law” so long as there is “adequate protection for youth from being sexually abused without the age of consent law.”

– In 1986, ILGA adopted a position that says the group “supports
the right of young people to sexual and social self-determination.”

– In 1988, ILGA declared “this conference recognizes that existing
same-sex age-of-consent laws often operate to oppress and not to
protect; that in many countries, existing laws on sexual coercion
and rules of evidence also often operate to oppress and not to protect; that therefore member organizations are urged to consider
how best children, adolescents, and people of all ages can be
empowered and supported against both sexual coercion and sexual oppression and to work towards that end.”

– In 1990, ILGA “calls on all members to treat all sexual minorities with respect and to engage in constructive dialogue
with them. In another position adopted that year, ILGA declared
that it “supports the right of every individual, regardless of age, to explore and develop her or his sexuality.”

And you want to talk torture, you disgusting pig?

Jaynes did not simply read NAMBLA’s materials and ponder its message. He and Salvatore Sicari actively sought a boy with whom to copulate. They picked 10-year-old Jeffrey Curley of Cambridge, Massachusetts. They lured him into their car as he played outside his home in October 1997. When Curley resisted their sexual advances, they choked him to death with a gasoline-soaked rag. Then they took the boy’s body across state lines to Jayne’s apartment in Manchester, New Hampshire. They molested the cadaver and stuffed it into a cement-filled Rubbermaid container. Finally, they crossed state lines again into Maine, whereupon they tossed Jeffrey Curley’s remains into the Great Works River, from which it was recovered within days.

Come on, gay-sex marriage bigot. You want to scream that Christians are responsible for burning people at the stake, you’re going to eat every last word and deed of what your filthy gay-sex marriage community has endorsed, supported and done.

And if you start screaming and bawling about how you can’t be held accountable for this, your blatant bigotry and hypocrisy will be revealed for all to see, and your life as a concern troll will be OVER.

northdallasthirty on April 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM

thuja on April 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

And what did thuja and its fellow gay-sex marriage supporters do?

Oh, that’s right, deliberately lie and give infected and tainted blood to make thousands of other people sick.

One longtime veteran of gay politics, Frank Kameny, said he would “advise fellow gays to lie” if the local blood bank officials proceeded with screening.

In New York, the National Gay Task Force rounded up virtually every gay leader in Manhattan to stand on the steps of teh New york Blood Center for a press conference denouncing efforts to screen donors. As he scanned the group, Michael Callen, a leader in the newly formed New York chapter of People With AIDS, relished the irony of the press conference. He knew that virtually every gay man there had had hepatitis B and that most had engaged in the kind of sexual activites that put them at high risk for AIDS. Not one of them could in good conscience donate blood, Callen thought, and here they were, exuding self-righteous indignation at the thought that someone would suggest they did not have the right to make such donations.

And the Band Played On, pp 238-239

This despite KNOWING:

Dr. Bruce Evatt of the CDC tried to reassert the data about hemophiliacs. AIDS simply did not happen among these people before 1982. In only the past year, however, 6 of just 100 hemophiliacs in Ohio were dead of AIDS, and 3 more were sufering from severe blood problems associated with the syndrome. Nearly 10 percent already were sick with something having to do with AIDS, Evatt said. What kind of proof did the blood banks need?

pp 222

So that’s your “morality”, you sick thug thuja; you and your fellow gay-sex marriage supporters KNOWINGLY AND DELIBERATELY contaminated the US blood supply, leading to THOUSANDS of innocent people getting HIV and hepatitis and dying.

That’s what you support, pig. That’s what you do. And again, if you so much as raise a whimper about how you can’t be held accountable, you once again prove that you are nothing more than a hypocrite and concern troll.

northdallasthirty on April 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM

So many distortions, so many, so very many, grotesque twists of the human mind toward some sort of mushy end, principles be damned, those ugly, disgusting things.

There must be something infectious acquired when people take political office. It seems so many of them abandon themselves to alternate realities and alternate personalities depending on their goal of keeping the office.

Thus, realities: twisted. Logic: broken, abandoned. Avowed beliefs: bastardized and misrepresented when the idea of losing political office (and perks) arises.

Lourdes on April 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Bill Nelson at 3:30 on Thursday. He was just reelected so he won’t worry.

Barred on March 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I’m sensing some big donations Bill Nelson received not too long ago, prior to this Massively Irrational Thursday Announcement.

Lourdes on April 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM

These sanctimonious POSs are really starting to irate me.

THE CONGRESS HAS THE POWER AND AUTHORITY TO MAKE THE CHANGE W/O HAVING SCOTUS INVOLVED!!!!!

Where is the tax legislation that allows gays to file as a special class, or get special tax treatment on trusts, or exemptions or anything else the LGBT groups claim are infringements on their “rights”?
Why aren’t all these evolved, worthless a-holes submitting and sponsering legislation to change it?

gonnjos on April 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Sigh! Senators making petitions to the Supreme Court!

I think they know that the justices are supposed to be interpreting the law (rather than the wind-direction, which so preoccupies these senators).

That’s a laugh too! How do we think the lesbian and the wise latina will rule? SCOTUS, if it has any sense, will treat it as the states voter rights issue it always was.

Californians had a vote. Gays don’t like it. So what?

virgo on April 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM