Bolling, Kelly on Rutgers’ coach: “Wussification of America” or over-the-top?

posted at 9:21 pm on April 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

For some quick followup to Allahpundit’s obligatory post, the firing of Rutgers’ basketball coach Mike Rice was one of the topics du jour among the chattering classes the past couple of days. Several of the MSNBCers today were shocked, appalled, and aghast, not merely by the coach’s — er, intensity? — but by Fox host Eric Bolling’s characterization of the incident as evidence of the “wussification of American men.” Bolling took a turn on Megyn Kelly’s show this afternoon to defend his comments, and they got into it a bit panel — so what do you think? Sure, maybe this went kind of over-the-top, but peeps needs to calm down and toughen up? Or a too much of a traumatizing, “degrading,” and “humiliating” attitude for any coach to have?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If I Bishop and say, “No comment.” will it show One Comment?

davidk on April 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

As was said in The Return of the Living Dead Part 2…”You, me, all this. It seems SO familiar?”

Didn’t we do this once before, already?

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I hate having to side with MSNBC on anything, but I have to on this one. It is not okay for a coach to physically harm his players. I’m sure if a coach were to hit Eric Bolling’s kid, he would be pretty upset about it.

SoulGlo on April 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Psycically assaulting his players and breaking one of their ribs is over the line. Yelling, etc I’m fine with. But this guy was a loose cannon and needed to be shut down.

mythicknight on April 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

There is an article at ESPN.com detailing player reaction to their coach getting fired. They’re all supporting the coach. They seem to like and respect the guy. It’s a good read, it casts the whole situation in a different light.

joejm65 on April 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

joejm65 on April 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Yeah and lot of abused spouses/significant others speak well of their abusers, too.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

There’s a place in academia for bombers and convicted murders, but not for asshole coaches. And there’s always room on cable news for another drama queen.

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

So – after John Murtha got sick and died, I remembered how much hatred he spewed into the society amplified by the Bush-Hating Media, how much Pain he caused to the families of The Marines at Haditha who’s children sacrificed their lives for our country. Then I thought – I hope that he died in a lot of pain because of the pain he caused others. And he did. That was good.

Now Roger Ebert has died. He was a Bush Hate-Monger and spewed Hatred and Contempt 24-7 into the Media Echo Chamber. I’m glad he’s gone. I hope that he paid for his hatred in his passage through death/

williamg on April 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

And if memory serves it was not players that brought down Bobby Knight, either. Ultimately, it was a student, but prior to that I don’t think it was players…

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Bolling is right. If what is in that video is beyond the pale for you, you need to prance on down to your nearest Natural Resources office and turn in your male genitalia.

Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. They are all of combat-eligible age.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

joejm65 on April 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I have a feeling that many of these kids came from rough neighborhoods where physical and verbal abuse is more routine. However, shouting and acting out is one thing, pushing and banging balls upside the head to people that you want to train is wrong.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

It’s a symptom of the wussification of America, but not how most people will think.

The coach isn’t the problem.

A grown man, who allows himself to be man handled or to be basketball target practice so some @sshat can make a point is the problem.

One thrown basketball at me the story wouldn’t be about a coach getting fired, it would be about why is the coach in the hospital.

A leader can be tough and demanding without being sadistic.

Hog Wild on April 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

There’s a place in academia for bombers and convicted murderers, but not for over the top coaches. Ad there’s always room on cable news for another drama queen.

Curtiss on April 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I have no problem with being tough and pushing people to their limits. Sometimes it even *gasp* gets physical.

Mental toughness ain’t developed playing beanbag. And yes, there are way too many wussies in this world. Look at Congress.

But in a basketball setting, that’s not leadership or helpful. It’s stupid and destructive.

If that were my family, folks would call him Coach Mumbles for the rest his life because he would need to eat out of a straw.

Marcus Traianus on April 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yep, the physical stuff is wrong, I agree. Not sure about the rough neighborhood stuff. Athletes get screamed at no matter where they’re from.

joejm65 on April 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

When I first heard the story, I too thought it was probably people being overly sensitive.

Then I watched the video and saw him throwing basketballs at players’ heads in anger, grabbing them by the neck and pushing them across the court, and in one case kicking a player…yeah, dude deserved to be fired.

AngusMc on April 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

SoulGlo on April 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

They are not “kids”. They can quit anytime. They haven’t.
The same wussification has been happening in the military for a while now with “sensitivity training” et al. The forces should be training warriors how to rip off enemies heads and shite down their neck holes.
Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Mimzey on April 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Remember that Scene in Casino where Joe Pesci gets his just desserts?

I would love to have seen that filmed with Bobby Knight instead of Joe Pesci as the centerpiece.

williamg on April 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

A leader can be tough and demanding without being sadistic.

Hog Wild on April 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well then you are tougher than me when I was 18-20. You still think of yourself as a kid, respect those older and don’t want to cause trouble with the team.
I do agree with your leadership point. Rice was and is a jerk. He didn’t even have a winning record to claim “I got results.”

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

M240H give up the tuff guy act….IF you served, your instructors may have been screaming people, but they were, if they were half-way decent, NOT maniacs.

This man wasn’t “coaching” he was releasing his pent up demons on a basketball team….

They were losers when he got there and losers when he left…44-51 record…he failed to “toughen’em up.”

Screaming/yelling have their place, kicking, belittling, not so much…

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

There is wussification out there, but it’s not connected to firing the coach at Rutgers.

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Here’s the ESPN story about the players, for anyone who wants to check it out:

joejm65 on April 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

This has nothing to do with wussification…

His coaching methods sucked because his team sucked.

It is all about W/L and if you are controversial you better win. His team sucked thus he is gone. Why the heck would you keep a head coach on that will have a hard time getting good recruits. Who is going to come and play at Rutgers to have basketballs spiked off your head and a coach sucker kicking you in the leg when you are not looking….and still not have a chance in heck of a winning season. Anyone? Thought so…

End of story.

William Eaton on April 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

End of story.

William Eaton on April 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

lol,Apparently many voters signed up to have exactly that done to them by coach Obama.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Did we forget the only reason this came out was he used a homosexual ‘slur’?

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Did my basic at Parris Island MCRD, 3rd Bn, H Co. Graduated 19 JUN 1981. The Drill Instructors were a great deal more physical than that coach. I currently serve full time in the ARNG as a UH-60 CE. First I fix it, then I get in behind the M240H.

My experiences lead me to judge that the coach’s behavior doesn’t amount to much more than an annoying fly buzzing about your head. Your dainty existence may lead you to deem it otherwise, Nancy.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Did we forget the only reason this came out was he used a homosexual ‘slur’?

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Sorry he’s out for a HOT of reasons, that’s one of them…but if he hadn’t called them F@ggots, you’d still be OK with his treatment of his players?

I said this this morning:

This claim of wussification and defense of Rice reminds me of Conservatives “love” of Nixon. Objectively, Nixon merits NO Conservative love, either domestically or in terms of foreign policy. HOWEVER, because Ted Kennedy hated Nixon, suddenly we feel compelled to like/defend Nixon because of his enemies. Same thing here, just because a bunch of PC Police are angry at Rice, DOESN’T make him right. I don’t think we ought to support someone SOLELY based on who dislikes them. I LIKE Palin, and not solely because she makes the right heads explode…I can agree Rice needs to go, even if that means agreeing with GLAAD.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Obama has never actually run any “practices” yet much less games….he is just the recruiter. That is all he does…talk and give speeches.

Hopefully the people will figure it out at some point.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Ok….would you go through all that to be in the French Army?

William Eaton on April 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Would you care to point out how the coach’s actions, apart from his words, in any way IMPROVED the team? As they had a losing season when he arrived and had one when he left….

Physical contact is fine, IF you are coaching position…if they have too upright a posture, a coach with good position and form moves the player around…it’s embarrassing AND instructive. Kicking a player, tell me about how your DI’s/Aviation maintenance NCO’s/coaches kicked you into anything useful…..

Again you confuse Machismo with manliness….

OR as a speaker at a commencement once explained, in the 1980′s his Navy dentist was about to extract a tooth sans any anesthetic. The speaker protested, and the dentist apologized, but informed him that so many Marines, on post, demanded NO anesthesia for extractions, to show how “tough” they were. MACHISMO…not smart…not manly.

You may be suffering from machismo, not manliness.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

JFKY,

The guys been doing this for years, no ones had an issue with it – until video surfaced of him using a homosexual slur.

That was the catalyst, not his actions.

And they’re not “kids” – they’re college students.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My husband joined in ’82-and the DIs were NOT allowed to physically abused a recruit. It’s good that the Corps got rid of the beatings.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Ok….would you go through all that to be in the French Army?

William Eaton on April 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Having been on their posts in the Balkans, I gotta tell you the grub they serve their Joes would make it pretty much worth it. Almost.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

MeanWhile,……

After resigning, Rutgers assistant basketball coach Martelli says he contributed to an ‘unacceptable culture’ – @NBCNY

1 hour ago from http://www.nbcnewyork.com by editor
================================================

Rutgers assistant basketball coach Jimmy Martelli resigns – @starledger

4 hours ago from http://www.nj.com by editor
=========================================

canopfor on April 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

And for what it’s worth, JFKY, I kicked plenty of people’s legs and feet when they were on the firing line in the wrong position.

I didn’t kick them like it was a fifty yard field goal, but it was a kick nonetheless.

Grabbed plenty of people by their LBEs, for some showing and pulling and pounded on my fair share of the backs of helmeted heads teaching tactics as well.

Military training and college basketball aren’t exactly analogous, either.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM

JFKY,

That was the catalyst, not his actions.

And they’re not “kids” – they’re college students.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

You mean the video showing him KICKING his players and calling them F@ggots…

And your point? Until the video came out, no one knew…that’s like saying Jerry Sandusky couldn’t have been bad, it was just one incident that brought him down…until THEN no one had complained….

Or that the instructor at Horace Mann must be a good guy, it was only ONE student that narc’d him out for being a child molester…

Rice has been an abusive P3nis for years, the vidoe just documents it.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

And if you’d care to point out where the kick in the player’s @rse was designed to move him into a better shooting position I’ll be glad to listen.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

They weren’t “allowed” to in ’81 either. 3rd Battalion DI’s liked to demonstrate that it was a much further distance from Command to 3rd than it was to 1st or 2nd. Our senior DI gave the initial demonstration by urinating on the new recruit training SOP manual.

Good times.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Rice has been an abusive P3nis for years, the video just documents it

Or like Bobby Knight who had been an abusive, rage-aholic @rse for years, until FINALLY someone called him on it, and like here it was win his Win-Loss ratio had become suspect.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I didn’t say no one knew until the video came out.

Of course people knew. But no on gave a crap until he used a homosexual slur. THAT’S the point.

I’m not excusing it for crimes sake!

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I enjoy reading the comments about life in the military, but I trust we all know that the military and college basketball aren’t exactly the same.

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

JFKY,

If you’d care you reread where I said the subjects weren’t analogous instead of simply being a condescending jerk.

I’ll wait.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

And M240H the DI at the Ribbon Creek Incident, he had his Marines testify for him too…didn’t mean he wasn’t guilty of manslaughter, IIRC. Abusive behavior isn’t always recognized as such…heck it even happens at Parriss Island.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I would call it the Pussification of America

LOL in U-15 soccer we would have to stand in front of the goal with our hands behind our back and take shot after shot without moving… and that wasn’t even punishment.

Hell, here in Southern NM, people have committed suicide over high school football torment.

-So this coach throws a few basketballs and yells a lot… boo-hoo. Big freakin’ deal!

@AsalamaTweetum

Opinionnation on April 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Re Knight…

I remember a pretty lively debate on NRO back in 2000 right after he got canned, discussing whether he should have been.

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I didn’t say no one knew until the video came out.

I’m not excusing it for crimes sake!

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

REALLY who knew, except the AD and the Player Development Asst. who reported it to the AD?

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The video is what sank Rice, not the slur…or rather the video of the slurs and the violence sank him, UNTIL then the AD was the only administrator who knew….once someone leaked the video to ESPN then the Administration had to act more strongly….

Cartman you ASSUME it was the “f@ggot” I keep pointing out he committed assault….if you want to go with your “it was teh Ghey’s that done ‘im in’, fine.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

You may be suffering from machismo, not manliness.

JFKY on April 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Possibly. I don’t think you really understand machismo in the Latin sense. I believe machismo is undervalued in our culture. It’s certainly superior to the grievance culture to which you ascribe.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This is nothing new to this guy, he’s done the same things during games to referrers for cripes sake.

Only until he used the homosexual slur did the school finally take any action.

So you tell what the real problem here is.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

williamg on April 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

You can see it on Ebert and Murtha. Can you see it in the mirror? Or do you hate the right people?

Dan_Yul on April 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

As a woman I agree with the Eric Bolling. I remember when I told a boy in high school, that I don’t date f***, he told on me to the principal said I used a slur on him.

Pathetic.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

You can see plenty of video of the coach doing this during fracking actual basketball games. He’s been sanctioned for it before.

This guy has been doing this for years. There’s plenty of video of him doing it – for years. Only when he said the slur did the school finally take action. So what was the school waiting for? Waiting for him to finally kill someone before they acted?

If you want to keep up glossing over the fact, then fine yourself.

catmman on April 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Pathetic.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

rofl, damn Raquel, couldn’t you have let him down a little easier? You probably created a serial killer.

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

yikes, I made it through high school by avoiding chicks like Raquel. Although they don’t carry signs saying “I eat beta males”.

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The only thing new is the the camera phone that recorded it. If they can send teachers who sexually assault kids and not fire them to a “room” with full pay for years they would have done it to this coach if his wage was a decimal point less and just a high school coach not college a level coach. The video and the gay slurs is what did it but if the video was just pushing without the slurs it would not be a firing offense or just a testimony of a player.

tjexcite on April 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

arnold ziffel on April 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I tried to be nice, but I was going through a rebellious streak myself, and I was into jocks, and bad boys, and this guy was really creepy he was writing me poetry and one day he showed me that he had wrote in his journal what clothes I wrote every day that whole semester. So of course I got a bit creeped out. It’s possible he was already in training to be a serial killer when I met him.

22044 on April 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Looking back I can say I was a bit of a b—. I do regret some of my behaviors from back then.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

It’s a shame that Bolling crossed the line from conservative pundit to alpha-male D-bag. There’s a fine rather thick line separating the two.

Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. They are all of combat-eligible age.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Why are people like you so fixated on male genitalia?

bmmg39 on April 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Now I understand why rugby is not and will never be popular in the US :) :) too ”tough’ I suspect :) but then you sorted itall out by adding all that ridiculous gear and voila, you got your own ersion of rugby :)’ (that’s also actually more ‘hand ball’ than football, but that’s just semantics I guess :)

jimver on April 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Unbelievable – this was not a close call. AD and President need to go too. How anyone can watch that video and not immediately fire the guy escapes me. He is out of control – how many players do you have to hit, throttle and fire balls at to get fired? Please tell me how many times you have to be hit in the head with a basketball or attacked by an out of control lunatic before it’s safe to complain without risking your full ride or spot on the team. How many transferred just to be away from this jerk? Did you see the cowed posture and helpless looks on the kids faces? This was pure and simple abuse against which they had little option. Anyone that doesn’t see that is a moron.

Style Doggie on April 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Why are people like you so fixated on male genitalia?

bmmg39 on April 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Why are people like you so fixated on behaving as a woman?

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Now I understand why rugby is not and will never be popular in the US :)

jimver on April 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Bear in mind that this wasn’t expected contact in the context of a game, but physical contact from an authority figure the players believe they must not retaliate against.

bmmg39 on April 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Why are people like you so fixated on behaving as a woman?

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I behave as a person.

bmmg39 on April 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Why are people like you so fixated on male genitalia?

bmmg39 on April 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Why are people like you so fixated on behaving as a woman?

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Allow me to be more specific- why are ostensibly male people such as yourself so fixated on behaving as a woman does?

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Allow me to give you essentially the same answer as before: I behave as a human being does. Men and women can behave this way just as much. Sorry if that destroys the comfy world you have set up in your head.

bmmg39 on April 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I played school-team sports years ago, before the everybody-gets-a-trophy and everyone-gets-more-than-nominal-playing-time nonsense. You started and played because you were the best the team had at your position. And there were no treats afterwards. Ice water if we were lucky. Ice cream, perhaps, after the last game in baseball.

I played 11 years of baseball, 8 of football, and 6 of basketball. Not one of my coaches was a shrinking violet, but no coach every threw anything at me or a teammate. There may have been some physical contact for purposes of demonstration in football and basketball, but it was never harmful. I had a baseball coach take a swing at a locker with a bat to get our attention after playing flat one afternoon. But no one was near him.

ESPN and others make great hay over Rice’s use of gay slurs, but that’s cheap crap. Rice’s use of gay slurs suggests that he had a naive notion of how to get under a player’s skin. Most of my coaches were experts in profanity, which they saved for rare moments. As a group, they were masters. At the same time, my coaches generally berated the team as a whole–and every time we deserved it.

Rice was way out of line and ineffective to boot. I feel bad for his family. What I saw on tape was a coach/husband/father who was as mature as a five-year-old. I wouldn’t let him near a family member of mine.

BuckeyeSam on April 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM

bmmg39 on April 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

The world that I, and the vast majority of the planet’s denizens, inhabit is not very “comfy”. Nor is that world “set up (my) head”, it’s reality. It is harsh, and survival in it depends on an individual not only acting within his own known societal dictates, but also upon his given biological endowments. That you perceive a socially granted ability to limit your efforts in order to demonstrate a societal norm, i.e. conformity, only shows, clearly, that you exist within a exceptionally stratified existence upon this orb.

That is, you are a puke in a comfy corner of the globe.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Bolling and also Hannity must think that a gentleman like John Wooden would be a terrible coach.

Jasper61 on April 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Ahhh…it’s good to read “the rest of the story”. I can empathize that seeing that was creepy.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Isn’t it nice to grow up and reflect on those years, I have some regrets too.

22044 on April 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Physical and verbal abuse(yelling is a different technique)are NOT practical tactics in the the context of teaching basketball.Coaches have STRICT rules for players. Follow them or be gone. In conjunction with that, rigorous training,drive and passion are requirements. You want to find out how good you are? Work/train hard and then go play against someone you know is better than you are.

Humility is a great teacher.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM

It is political correctness run amok. I guarantee you that literally hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of coaches, both basketball, football, and other sports are equally tyrannical every year.

The only difference here is, it was caught on video AND released to the public. Remember RU had this a year ago and only suspended him.

deadrody on April 5, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Jasper61 on April 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Ah. I suppose you think John Wooden was a saint, too. He wasn’t. May not have physically assaulted his players, but he was as dirty as they come.

deadrody on April 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

deadrody on April 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

And you knew John Wooden personally, too, I’m sure .

Sir, you’re clueless. What you’ve stated probably came from some book you read. You’ve not the slightest of the interpersonal dynamics of coaching or human psychology.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Style Doggie on April 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Rice wasn’t the only one either. HIs assistent Martelli was identical. And to think that the President of Rutgers had an e-mail of the video from the Assistent AD about this last fall, just as the season was underway. Rutgers record for the 2012-2013 season was 15-16, 5-13 Big East. Results speak volumes. Martelli and Rice should NEVER be allowed to coach again. This goes beyond abuse. Players are supposed to be imbued with a sense of confidence. This can ONLY come from hard work and self-sacrifice. What these men did contributed NOTHING to player development.

And in case any of you mental midgets here on HA attack me just remember this: Like any other professional, coaches MUST have integrity AND character above all things. Otherwise they have nothing.

As for Eric Bolling, it wouldn’t surprise me to know he beats his gay boyfriend.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 6:39 AM

deadrody on April 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

He certainly had the highest paid players in college basketball.

tommyboy on April 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Pathetic.

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on April 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Isn’t it nice to grow up and reflect on those years, I have some regrets too.

22044 on April 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I would submit that if Raquel has to relate her personal story from her HS years which have absolutely NOTHING to do with this story (other than the fact that she believes that (a) athletes should be physically and verbally abused by coaches and (b) She agrees with Eric Bolling of all people), then she is probably just another attention wh0re. Clearly, Raquel has not grown up much since high school.

Raquel regrets his/her behaviors, but is doomed to repeat them here, by relating her experiences on HA because she really hasn’t modified his/her behavior at all. That meets the threshold of the definition of insanity. Easily.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Kelly continues to confound me. I used to think she was a paragon of strength and self-reliance, but since she became a baby factory, she sounds more like a pre-school teacher.

CAUTION: Hormones at work.

Mr. Grump on April 5, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I seldom disagree with Bolling but in this case it is not a question of the wussification of men but simple physical assault.It is one thing for a coach to get in a players face and scream at him.It is quite another for a coach to throw a basketball at a players groin and to shove them around.Bolling says he doesn’t condone punches being thrown or racial/sexual orientation slurs being made,but for him to say that Rice shouldn’t be fired is defending such action with a wink and a nod.

redware on April 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

“Maybe we should let them wear dresses too….” – Jack Lambert, Pitt. Steelers HOF linebacker

tommyboy on April 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. They are all of combat-eligible age.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Dear D0uchenozzle:

What Rice and Martelli did was not “beyond the pale”, it was UNREASONABLE and UN~ADULT~LIKE behavior. If you equate being reasonable and adult with being gay,then may I suggest that you drag your knuckles down to to your local library and start looking up definitions of both.

I would also suggest seeing your psychiatrist. Your staunch advocacy of equating male genitalia with “being tough” only, just might mean that you’re gay. : -)

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM

This is the opposite side of the Penn State/Paterno/Sandusky issue where the institution completely ignored bad (illegal) behavior so long as the football team won. In the Rutgers/Rice case they decided that their coach should get the guys together and talk it out followed by a group hug. They deserve to lose as much as Penn State Football.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM

What a pompous preachy douchebag. It wouldn’t suprise me to learn that your gay boyfriend beats you.

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Someone get this little girl a tissue, she’s vewy, vewy upset.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. They are all of combat-eligible age.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

And, if a drill instructor did that sort of thing to recruits in basic, he would be re-assigned to Greenland faster than you can spit.

There are some incidents in that video that are nothing more than a coach manhandling his players – no problem. If you get pushed around in the sport, expect the coach to push you around on occasion. But, when you push someone and they end up breaking a rib, that’s not coaching but abuse. Aggressive and rude does not make you manly, it makes you an a-hole.

GWB on April 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

The thing that bothers me most about this is that he didn’t do it in front of other coaches. This guy knew better and did this stuff when he could get away with it — which suggests a sadist more than it does Bobby Knight-style tough coaching.

But the point about wussifying america still stands.

SAMinVA on April 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

GWB on April 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

In the entire thread I haven’t once defended this coach’s actions- not once. I frankly don’t give a sh** about the Rutgers basketball team. I don’t give a sh** about Mike Rice’s win record, and I don’t give a sh** about the emotional trauma suffered, willingly, by 18 to 22 year old men at the hands of a lumpy windbag whose a** I could kick without spilling my beer.

The physical abuse that Rice employed as a coach was clearly not effective in producing wins. Or maybe the Rutgers players just suck; I don’t care.

What I do take issue with is the swooning vapors and foot-stamping, pitchfork and torch-wielding indignation some folks are going into over the behavior in the above video. It just ain’t that big a deal that we have to have an Obama model “National Discussion” about the emotional welfare of men who should have first spent some time humping a ruck before they went of to be indoctrinated by the Bill Ayers of the world and play a silly game favored by urban hoodlums.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Someone get this little girl a tissue, she’s vewy, vewy upset.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Indeed!

22044 on April 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It’s one thing to call out a young man on his attitude, and to demand extra effort (run some laps). It’s another to insult him and physically assault him.

rbj on April 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Very well put. Although probably nobody’s reading this thread anymore.

Fenris on April 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

The continued a$$hole-ification of Eric Bolling.
I’m not surprised he finds Rice’s behavior perfectly acceptable…heck, downright admirable.
What the video shows is something far far beyond a passionate tough coach.
He is as he appears…unhinged, out of control, and full of rage.

verbaluce on April 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Oh, and these aren’t “kids”. They are all of combat-eligible age.

M240H on April 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Sure.. And now combat experienced too.

verbaluce on April 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Who knew that this poster and M240H were having an emotional tryst. Clearly, the gay trolls are at work in pairs now. Apparfently, the best these two turds can do is try to validate each other with mutual “puffing” of each other’s oOt Air johnson’s.

Two for a quarter, ladies?

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

* CORRECTION*

Apparently, the best these two turd burglars can do is try to validate each other with mutual “puffing” of each other’s Hot Air johnson’s.

Two for a quarter, ladies?

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I was laughing so hard at these two pathgetic twits with their panties in a knot, that I misspelled a couple words.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Well clearly dimbulb, you missed that until I postred but not until after your little wussy shrieking about others opinions and the in addition to the fact that I mentioned well ahead of you, d0uchenozzle.

If you were so unconcerned about Rice, you wouldn’t post your pathetic rantings here. Evidently, even while trying to tell others off, your lies become self-evident.

Why don’t you take your girlfriend, 22044 out for a lunch squeeze, dingleberry.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Happy Nomad on April 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM

LOL…In other news, pot calls kettle black.

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

… so vewy, vewy upthet.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

… so vewy, vewy, weally, twuly upthet.

M240H on April 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

DevilsPrinciple on April 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Wow. Unhinged poster is unhinged.

22044 on April 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I am in agreement with Eric Bolling, and I want to go down on record as saying that the mentality of a lot of Americans is weak, weak, weak. It is long past time for people to man up. We used to be a lot tougher.

Texas Aggie on April 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM