Video: Dem rep sponsoring gun-control bill seems to think that … magazines can’t be reloaded

posted at 4:01 pm on April 3, 2013 by Allahpundit

Lest you think the bit in the video is taken out of context, the Denver Post — which sponsored the forum — has its own item up marveling at the ignorance here. DeGette’s logic: If you stop new high-capacity magazines from being manufactured, eventually all of the bullets in America’s remaining inventory of HCMs will be fired and then poof — that’s the end of high-capacity magazines. If only Bloomberg had thought of that vis-a-vis his soda ban. Want to stop people from drinking more than 16 ounces of soda? Simple. Just ban the manufacture of new 16-ounce cups and let nature degrade the remaining supply. Then no one will drink more than 16 ounces ever again.

Follow the link to the Post’s item for her spokesman’s spin, then watch the vid. Supposedly she means “clips” instead of “magazines,” but either way she seems to think the supply of bullets is limited by the existing supply of feeding mechanisms. Imagine her surprise when she finds out about 3-D printing.

While we’re on the subject, do note that Jim Carrey doesn’t want to take all of your guns away, even though you’re “heartless motherf***ers.” He only wants to take some of them away, arbitrarily. Exit quotation: “For those who say I’m a hypocrite because I have an armed bodyguard, lets make one thing clear: No one in my employ is allowed to carry a large magazine…”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If only stupidity would hurt, if only…

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Democrats never let their ignorance get in the way of passing bad laws.

Mohonri on April 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

A future Senator.

rob verdi on April 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

No one in my employ is allowed to carry a large magazine…”

What an idiot – that would be the only reason I would hire bodyguards.

redguy on April 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yep, dumb as a bag of hammers.

Yasherka on April 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Maybe Jim oughta have his bodyguard Barney Fife his ammo and dump the mag all together. I mean, who thinks they’re so important that one round in a shirt pocket couldn’t handle a threat?

BKeyser on April 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Her capacity for common sense has long been gone.

fourdeucer on April 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Her understanding of guns is pretty representative of gun ban supporters.

crrr6 on April 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The only magazines this idiot is familiar with is the ones that come in the mail with the pretty pictures.

meci on April 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It seems like I have to ask this on a weekly basis, but here goes yet again. What the F is going with Colorado?! They’re on the verge of surpassing California in terms of the sheer stupidity of their elected representatives.

Doughboy on April 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You can’t educate someone who chooses to be willfully ignorant.

chemman on April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Supposedly she means “clips” instead of “magazines,”

She said magazine clips and later magazines. She was correct in the use of the word magazine, but obviously mistaken on the point that they cannot be reloaded.

Fredlike on April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I will tell these [magazines] are ammunition … they’re bullets.

LOL. Did this chick make it out of elementary school? She’s as dumb as the day is long … and proud to display it in public.

This chick is on par with barky’s “profit AND earnings ratios” or “reduce premiums by 3000%!!” [which also happened to have been said in COLORADO, IIRC].

These people don’t even have the brain-power of a dead chicken.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Why the crap did NRA ever support background checks?

Capitalist Hog on April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

That was 671 grains of idiocy.

fourdeucer on April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

With the Democrats.
Ignorance is not a bug,
It is a feature.

You can’t pass really stupid and restrictive laws if you understand what you are doing. It is better to have the ignorant in charge of passing stupid and restrictive laws, because the rachet only works one way. Every time they stumble into a new restriction, the freedom is lost forever.

Haiku Guy on April 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

No one in my employ is allowed to carry a large magazine…”

So they can carry Prevention Magazine and not Playboy.

chemman on April 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

OH. MY. GOD.

bernzright777 on April 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

So when her car runs out of gas, does she just leave it on the side of the road and never drive it again?

Eschelon on April 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Eschelon on April 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Of course, silly!

But, not to worry. The State of Colorado just buys her a new one!

Haiku Guy on April 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As an aside, clips can be reloaded too.

Yasherka on April 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

O_O

If I had been at that table I would have stood up and ordered the sheriff to arrest the woman for being a danger to society. Good GAWD…I’ve heard dumb, I mean Joe Biden dumb…but this is at an entirely new level.

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Ok then. These are the people that get elected to govern and enact laws. Unbelievable. Out right stupidity. Speechless

jaywemm on April 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Doughboy on April 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

That, I am afraid is not possible. Not a day passes by without the brainiacs in that bastion of critical thinking known as Sacramento stretching my incredulity to new heights…

jimver on April 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Imagine her surprise when all the gun manufacturers and gun stores leave the state.
Magpul is leaving Colorado….

Gun Manufacturers Question Their Own Future In Connecticut In Post-Newtown Era

Contact these Connecticut gun manufacturers and urge them to move out of their state of tyranny.

redguy on April 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

This appears to be the same idiot who, when a Sr citizen asked her how he would defend himself, laughed, and told him he was “…lucky to live in Denver where the police are quick to respond AND that he would probably be dead anyway….”

waterytart on April 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Two things: her spokesman doubled down on ignorance, because of COURSE clips can be reloaded, just as magazines can. Secondly, this reminds me of the congressman a few years ago who was worried about overpopulating Guam, because it might capsize.

unclejack on April 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

OT – your land is totally fluked.

Tens of thousands of health care professionals, union workers and community activists hired as “navigators” to help Americans choose Obamacare options starting Oct. 1 could earn $20 an hour or more, according to new regulations issued Wednesday.

The 63-page rule covering navigators, drawn up by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, also said the government will provide free translators for those not fluent in English — no matter what their native language is.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

CA has moved to CO and ruined it. Every red state should forbid CA immigrants from entering lest their state be ruined also. These progs are a plague.

johnny reb on April 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

That woman should be required to wear a safety helmet at all times.

madmonkphotog on April 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

When you see a politician like this absolute nutcase trying to pass laws effecting mllions of law abiding citizens based complete ignorance, you have to wonder about the level of intelligence of who voted her into the position to do so. The liberal cesspool that is engulfing the state of Colorado. Colorado, in the end, will deserve what they get.

volsense on April 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

“The Congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’ which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” Johnson said.

I’ve got .303 clips from the 1940s used to load a magazine (No1Mk3) from 1916.

These people are morons

Spade on April 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” — Plato

jonrademacher on April 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

*headdesk*
*headdesk*
*headdesk*

alchemist19 on April 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

unclejack on April 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

LOL!

alchemist19 on April 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

More gun-grabber pratfalls!

Resist We Much on April 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

She is also the idiot who told a senior citizen that he “didn’t have to worry because the police would be there in five minutes because he lived in Denver.” And he “would probably be dead anyway.”

melle1228 on April 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

As ‘smart’ as this interviewer

Michelle is a big liar.

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

She is on the high end of the democrat intelligence bell curve.

tom daschle concerned on April 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

It gets worse. According to Wikipedia, she’s reproduced.

Erich66 on April 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I’m assuming he’s talking about those old Life magazines with the large format.

ButterflyDragon on April 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Spade on April 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My M44 from 1939 uses clips to load the internal mag, my SKS uses clips to load it’s flip down mag, and finally I speed load my AR mags with clips and a Lula. All of the clips are reusable.

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

The boxes of rocks that voted for her are all applauding.

ajacksonian on April 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Keith Ellison final has an intellectual equal in congress!

MNHawk on April 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Eschelon on April 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Maybe she drives a Tesla? I have faith that she would brick one with no problem.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

DeGette is not a fan of high capacity (standard capacity to citizens) magazines. Too bad she does not feel the same way about low capacity intellects! Then we could ban HER!

djtnt on April 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That sheriff looked like he was half tempted to backhand her.

CurtZHP on April 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Shadenfreude got it right on the first post. Even the dumbest dog learns not to chase pain.

DanMan on April 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

She’s just confused. She thought she was talking about the AK15 with 300 round clip.

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

LOL. She said:

I will tell you, these [magazine-clips] are ammunition … they’re bullets.

Years of study and she still doesn’t understand something that a typical 8 year old would comprehend in 10 minutes.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

So instead he hires two body guards, both carrying multiple guns…but none with high just high volume…

right2bright on April 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

hehe… waiting for the Police to save you :)

I was behind a drunk driver on the Freeway yesterday. At least I thought he/she was drunk as they were swerving all over freeway, in & out of the shoulders & medians, almost crashed several times, slowed to 45 when traffic was 75+ in order change lanes, etc.

Over the course of 30 miles I called 911 three times and they never came.

SpudmanWP on April 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Dem Rep. Diana Degette Mocks Pro-Second Amendment Senior Citizen: “You’d Probably Be Dead Anyway” If Confronted By Armed Criminals…

melle1228 on April 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

“The Congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’ which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” spokeshole Johnson said.

I’ve got .303 clips from the 1940s used to load a magazine (No1Mk3) from 1916.

These people are morons

Spade on April 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

unclejack on April 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I read the spokehole spin, and thought, “holy crap, that’s even more stupid than her original comment”. I truly do fear for this country.

peski on April 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Yeah, I remember as a kid going through pallets of BB guns. The old man never told me that I could pump up the rifle again after shooting a BB; seemed normal at the time to just throw them away.

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Keith Ellison final has an intellectual equal in congress!

MNHawk on April 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Now, now, unlike Congressswoman Diana DeGette, Keith Ellison realises, at least, that magazines can be reloaded. He is just trying to ensure that Americans cannot be armed with large-capacity magazines ‘cuz they might react negatively should Nazi Germany bomb Pearl Harbour…AGAIN…or something.

Resist We Much on April 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Education is your friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I can’t wait until she and her fellow travelers are in charge of my healthcare.

Lily on April 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

She doesn’t know how magazines function, the proper terminology (magazine is correct, a clip or stripper clip is something else), and apparently doesn’t distinguish between cartridges and bullets.

Yet she feels justified in designing firearms via legislation. Brilliant!

novaculus on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

She probably “figured it out” based on movies where people drop the magazines on the ground and leave them there. “If you could reuse them, they wouldn’t just discard them all the time, right? Once the bullets are gone, they throw them away.”

I wish I lived near Hollywood… I could go around and pick up empty magazines from the sets. Never have to buy one again.

The Rogue Tomato on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

melle1228 on April 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

It is not so much “Armed Criminals” with which I’m concerned.

It is a government full of people like her.

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Over the course of 30 miles I called 911 three times and they never came.

SpudmanWP on April 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Wait…whaaaaat? How could that possibly be? We have laws against drunk driving…”severe” laws, I might had. Why didn’t those laws prevent the drunk from getting behind the wheel like more gun control laws will ensure that there are no more Columbines, Tuscans, Auroras, and Newtowns?

Resist We Much on April 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

May be this… http://www.blackbeltmag.com/

peski on April 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I’d comment on this, but I just ran out of detergent and have to get a new washing machine.

RadClown on April 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It is not so much “Armed Criminals” with which I’m concerned.

It is a government full of people like her.

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I agree.. I also think that if you are going to talk about gun control; you must at least have a working knowledge of the thing you are actually talking about.

melle1228 on April 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

She reps deepest darkest Denver. Took over for Pat Schroeder after she finally “retired” after 24 YEARS in the house. She and her husband then moved to Florida (Alan Graysons District according to wikipedia). The urban areas of Denver and a lesser extent Boulder totally skew the politics of Colorado to the left. Second biggest city is Colorado Springs which is very conservative but is not big enough to counterbalance the other two cities. Have to agree a large influx of Californians in the 90s changed Colorado purple. Also drove our housing prices through the roof.

Kerbouchard on April 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

We have laws against drunk driving…”severe” laws, I might ADD.

One day, one day, I’ll start applying my proficient proofreading skills…BEFORE I HIT ‘ENTER.’ I always do my best proofreading after it is too late.

Resist We Much on April 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

This is why, when we face the horrible decision to actually use the 2nd Amendment for its intended purpose, we must be careful to check our targets. The evil ones and the brave ones need to go, the cowards and the stupid are secondary.

Bulletchaser on April 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

An assault magazine is one that can be rolled up and used on dogs, spiders, etc. Large capacity magazines can be used multiple times and should be strictly regulated and restricted to those with specialized training such as pest control professionals and animal control officers of the law.

Lily on April 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Here you go.

The Rogue Tomato on April 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

If you’re a legislator attempting to pass any gun control legislation, you only need to know that a metallic projectile is driven out the muzzle at several hundred feet per second, and can kill any person who is struck by it.

Anything more than that is unnecessary, to advance the cause of totalitarian tyranny.

listens2glenn on April 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yet she feels justified in designing firearms via legislation. Brilliant!

novaculus on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

A cartridge (also called a round, a shell or ammunition) packages a bullet, propellant (usually either smokeless powder or black powder) and a primer within a metallic, paper, or plastic casing that is precisely made to fit within the firing chamber of a firearm.[1] The primer is a small charge of an impact-sensitive or electric-sensitive chemical mixture that can be located at the center of the case head (centerfire ammunition), inside a rim (Rimfire ammunition), or in a projection such as in a pinfire or teat-fire cartridge. Military and commercial producers also make Caseless ammunition. A cartridge without a bullet is called a blank. One that is completely inert (contains no active primer and no propellant) is called a dummy.

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Here you go.

The Rogue Tomato on April 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Heh. You win.

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Box-Of-Rocks rings a bell on this broad.

Ignorant ass’

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED !

TX-96 on April 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I can’t wait until she and her fellow travelers are in charge of my healthcare.

Lily on April 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

She would tell you that each time you go to the bathroom, you have to get a new toilet as they only flush once.

VorDaj on April 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Wait until she finds out that cartridges can be reloaded. Whoa, Nelly!!

We might be safe, though. I don’t think she really understands what the word “reload” means, anyway. It seems that most of her education was done phonetically.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Here you go.

The Rogue Tomato on April 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Everyone’s a “com-o-dian.” … : )

listens2glenn on April 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

She’s the kind of ditz that would say, “I can’t be overdrawn! I still have checks left!!”

Oh, and …….

TROLL FREE THREAD!!

CurtZHP on April 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I am so sick and tired of these a$$wipes thinking that smaller magazines is the “holy grail” answer to prevent future violence.

Here’s a tip for you dumbasses:

1) If a criminal is willing to kill people, he certainly won’t reconsider using a smaller magazine. The Sandy Hook shooter was willing to violate the law against murder and you nutjobs actually believe that he would abide by any law requiring smaller magaizines?

2) We have laws against illegal drugs and illegal immigrants but yet both come into this country. So, you actually believe that outlawing large magazines will somehow cause all large magazines to disappear? If you believe that then I have some snake oil to sell you, cheap!

3) You claim that smaller magazines would have saved some children but armed guards would have done a better job. As a rule, shooters choose easy targets, they never go into police stations looking for a fight.

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Affectionately known as Diana DontGetIt in the Mile High city….after 22 yrs, left that city 1.5 yrs ago…no regrets…

hillsoftx on April 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

RadClown on April 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Heh.

peski on April 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Here’s how you make one.
1) Get the largest magazine you can find.
2) Roll it up real tight and put rubber bands around it.
3) Fill the sink with water.
4) Soak it in the sink for 10 full minutes.
5) Put it in the freezer overnight.
6) Take it out of the freezer when you are ready to assault someone up side the head with it.

VorDaj on April 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

They don’t. They just want to strip you of all your gun rights piece by piece. They know if they ask for the whole enchilada they’ll get nothing and voted out in many places.

crrr6 on April 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I almost missed this. What is an “assault magazine”?

Bishop on April 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Mother Jones, NYT, Time, etc. That is, if by “assault” you mean an assault to one’s intelligence.

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

From the Denver Post link:

Juliet Johnson, DeGette’s spokesman, is just as stupid as she is. M1 Enbloc and Mauser clips are reusable. They’re how you reload the gun, just an older technology.

TulsAmerican on April 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Unfortunately, the morons here in Denver keep reelecting this dipsh!t. She’s one of the greatest arguments alive for the necessity of term limits.

realitycheck on April 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I would dearly love to see someone challenge an idiot law on the grounds that it wasn’t enacted by ‘competent’ authority, the legislators being too ignorant to know what they were doing. It wouldn’t work, of course, but what fun!

PersonFromPorlock on April 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

And this probably wasn’t the most egregious comment she made yesterday. Via The Corner:

Erich66 on April 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

A stupid bill like this one is only inviting a brilliant inventor to create a gun that uses multiple small magazines.

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Erich66 on April 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Along the lines of, “You’d probably be raped already.”

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

But, I want to know what she’s plans to do about guns with the shoulder thing that goes up.

Midas on April 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

[Jim Carey] only wants to take some of them away, arbitrarily

I must have missed the civics class because I was under the mistaken impression that all Americans are equal. My mistake, obviously some Americans are aristocrats and therefore, have the authority to make arbitrary decisions over me.

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Kingfisher on April 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Carey’s a Canadian. He got papers to pretend he’s an American, but he’s really not.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

sadly he probably thinks his bodyguards are laughing w/ him, instead of at him.

chasdal on April 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

You know, it works that way with my purse, too! I spend dollar after dollar after dollar ’til I’m out, and then POOF!

Another purse disappears.

Pain in the neck.

tree hugging sister on April 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

No surprise. The idiots making the laws make no effort to gain knowledge before legislating.

BUT IT MAKES THEM FEEL REALLY GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES!!!

GarandFan on April 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Along the lines of, “You’d probably be raped already.”

davidk on April 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Basically. Disgusting how her retort is so flippant.

Erich66 on April 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Fortuitous for her, breathing is involuntary.

irongrampa on April 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM