Video: South Korea warns North Korea that “a strong response” will follow provocations

posted at 8:01 am on April 1, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

If the recent bluster from Pyongyang has intended to test the newly-elected South Korean president Park Geun-hye, they have their answer today. Park warned that Seoul was preparing “a strong response,” as the US added another high-profile flyover to the joint military maneuvers:

The South Korean president on Monday warned North Korea that any provocative moves will be met with “a strong response” as the United States deployed stealth fighter jets in the tense region as part of joint military exercises.

“If there is any provocation against South Korea and its people, there should be a strong response in initial combat without any political considerations,” President Park Geun-hye said at a meeting with senior defense and security officials, according to her office.

Her comments came after North Korea rattled off fresh volleys of bombastic rhetoric over the weekend, declaring that it had entered a “state of war” with the South and labeling the U.S. mainland a “boiled pumpkin,” vulnerable to attack.

Admit it — Kim Jong-un’s pronouncements have a weird sort of charm to them.  I’ve never heard of “boiled pumpkin” before, although I’d bet half of Kim’s people would pray for that much for dinner tonight.

Actually, that’s not all Park had to say. She warned the DPRK that she will defer to the military if any surprises arise.  The US also sent another message to Pyongyang itself, one with a bit more directness:

The United States sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to South Korea on Sunday to join military exercises in a move aimed at further deterring threats from North Korea against its neighbor.

And on Monday South Korean President Park Geun-hye appeared to give her country’s military permission to strike back at any attack from the North without further word from Seoul, saying she took the North’s escalating threats “very seriously,” South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.

“As commander-in-chief of the armed forces, I will trust the military’s judgment on abrupt and surprise provocations by North Korea,” she said, according to Yonhap.

CNN followed up with this report which says … not too much, really, that hasn’t been said before.  The two commentators mention, however, that the risk of the kind of mistake Park mentions has increased rapidly in the rhetorical explosion over the last couple of weeks.  Still, CNN’s reporter in the South says that Americans aren’t packing up and fleeing the peninsula … yet. Maybe they’re sticking around for the boiled pumpkins.

Comments

That’s their president???

Electrongod on April 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

OK.
A simple google search fixed it.

Electrongod on April 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I don’t get the picture

AH_C on April 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Save us Dennis Rodman, you’re our only hope!

trubble on April 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I was expecting a Rodman pic, not Lindsey Lohan…

hungrymongo on April 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Kim Jomg Un kinda has that pumpkin look, I guess.

KS Rex on April 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Why is Lohan on the front page pic for this story?
Does it have to do with the “boiled pumpkin” bit?

GWB on April 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

It isn’t time for panic but it is difficult to see how lil Kim saves face with the adults without doing something.

That being said, North Korea said something along the lines that no amount of money was going to make them back down which, of course, means that some amount of money would make them back down.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Why is Lohan on the front page pic for this story?
Does it have to do with the “boiled pumpkin” bit?
GWB on April 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Look at the date.

bluegill on April 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

This 28 or 29 year old kid will end up making a big mistake…which is why anyone under 40 should never be in charge of most anything important.

This is just a child, a child who has never known anything but what has been taught to him by the state…he will pull the trigger, and he will pay.

The only thing that will save him, is his military commanders are sh*tting in their pants right now…they know, and one of them has to tell him…sit down, shut up.

right2bright on April 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Here She Comes To Save The Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

To quote the immortal Doctor Smith: “We’re doomed!”

pilamaye on April 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Lohan being up front makes sense, in that she’s about as coherent as Mini-Kim.

I’d add “and he’s about as desperately in need of an ‘intervention’ as she is”, but of course in her case no amount of interventions have helped. I suspect the same condition obtains with Mini-Kim.

For somebody suffering from a “condition” to get well, they first have to want to get well. Mini-Kim thinks that crazy, belligerent, and megalomaniacal is the way to go through life, because it worked for his granddaddy and his pop. It got them what they wanted (i.e., living like Elvis while screaming at everybody else), and like them he doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about anybody else. He just dreams of fulfilling their dreams- of conquering the Korean peninsula and anything else he can reach.

Some people cannot be reasoned with. Because they don’t operate on “reason” themselves.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

right2bright on April 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM

The rat-eared devil is over 40 and in charge of one third of our government. How’s that working out? I’d rather have a smart 28-year-old with integrity over a lazy stupid grifter who epitomizes the very worst aspects of our society.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

May one take it that boiled pumpkin is a NoKo delicacy and, since it is mushy, it’s what they think of the current US admin? If so, not bad.

OldEnglish on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Pray to whom?

JetBoy on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I’d add “and he’s about as desperately in need of an ‘intervention’ as she is”

eon on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Yeah, I’d love to see what an intervention for lil Kim looks like. How do you tell your beloved leader he’s crazy without you and your family disappearing?

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Pray to whom?

JetBoy on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Cesar Chavez apparently.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Yeah, good try, but it’s foolish even to compare Obama with this guy…and here you have a 28yr. old (and no, there is no 28 year old that could manage a country), who has no integrity.

right2bright on April 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Send in Lohan, she will trash Kim Jong-un’s house, eat any food that tubby has stashed, and steal the nukes he has.

Genius.

Gatsu on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I don’t get the picture

AH_C on April 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I’m guessing it has more to do with the date than the subject.

Fallon on April 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I don’t get the picture

AH_C on April 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I’m guessing it has more to do with the date than the subject.

Fallon on April 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I’m thinking Lohan’s face looks like a boiled pumpkin…?

JetBoy on April 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

right2bright on April 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

How is it foolish? The rat-eared devil is just like Kim Jong Un. How is ruling by executive order and not the rule of law any different than Kim Jong Un’s fiats?

Americans are suffering while the filthy bastard spent Saturday golfing and taking in an Elite 8 NCAA basketball game. Today they’re having a party for a bunch of celebrities. His brats went to the Bahamas and then Sun Valley spending millions of taxpayers money on their entertainment. Frankly who cares if harm comes to the mini-moochers they are as worthless as their parents. Kim Jong Un similarly lives lavishly while his people starve.

In short, not so bright, you just don’t want to admit that the filthy rat-eared devil is as much of a dictator as Kim Jong Un.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I BINGED boiled pumpkin Lindsey Lohan – got nothing…. :)

ctmom on April 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Look at the date.

bluegill on April 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Hahaha, thanks. Good one! Got me scratching my head.

scalleywag on April 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The most frightening thing I find in this story is that so many people know who that is in the picture.

cozmo on April 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

In reference to the 40 year old being a third of our Government; we have 535 with a staff of over 23,000, yes I said, over twenty three thousand, being another third of the Government that should have done their job and sent him back to Chicago.

mixplix on April 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I BINGED boiled pumpkin Lindsey Lohan – got nothing…. :)

ctmom on April 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hahaha. I “bing” now too and I like it better.

scalleywag on April 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

cozmo on April 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I know! Who knew that pictures existed where the girl isn’t flashing her panties or posing for a mug shot.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

cozmo on April 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I had no idea who it was until I read it in the comments. Still don’t really know what her claim to fame is. Actor? Singer? Don’t really care not gonna look it up. I take it she likes to do crotch shots for the papparazzi from Happy Nomad’s comment.

Oldnuke on April 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Genius.

Gatsu on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Lets see, she like good looking things so she would kinda like a lot of stuff coming out of creative South Korea. Zooks, a Korean told me they make parts of the Mercedes S and SL Classes in South Korea.

With her anger and behavior issues..North Korea messing with stuff she likes…game over.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

…not a bad looking leader!

KOOLAID2 on April 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Oldnuke on April 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

That is sad, but…

If I had to sin and look at one, better hers than yours.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

THIS.

Cleombrotus on April 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I had no idea who it was until I read it in the comments.

Oldnuke on April 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Me, too. I know she’s famous for being famous, that’s about it.

GWB on April 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM

If we had a boiled pumpkin for president, it would be an enormous improvement over the REB.

slickwillie2001 on April 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Is the picture suppose to ban an April Fools joke?

JeffinSac on April 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Isn’t Lohan currently in the hoosgow?

Blake on April 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Genius.

Gatsu on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

At the least, she’d wreck his car.

BobMbx on April 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Genius.

Gatsu on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

If Krazy Kim’s daddy found Madeleine Albright to be attractive, maybe Lindsey Lohan could steal some secrets from Krazy Kim III. Just tell her to stay off the crack pipe till she gets back to the States.

In all seriousness, maybe Ms. Park has more guts than our own Nobel Peace Prize Prez–is she the Margaret Thatcher of South Korea?

Steve Z on April 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

So land the F-22′s in Guam and arm them, ready to take out Nork artillery if they start shelling Seoul. Don’t worry, Guam won’t tip over!

Steve Z on April 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Maybe today we’ll find out thats really Bobby Lee (from MadTV) who’s been pretending to be Kim Jong Un.
They’ll spring the prank on everyone today – just before the nukes start flying….
Big laughs for all.

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I had no idea who it was until I read it in the comments.

Oldnuke on April 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Ya – I didn’t see it either. That particular photo didn’t look quite crack-whorish enough to make me think of Lohan.

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Don’t worry, Guam won’t tip over!

Steve Z on April 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I don’t know. Those pilots better take off and land deftly.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Easy now. She is a conservative.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Easy now. She is a conservative.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Now THAT’s a good 1 Apr comment…..

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Bmore’s art is in here too.

Schadenfreude on April 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Easy now. She is a conservative.

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Now THAT’s a good 1 Apr comment…..

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

That’s the first good chuckle, I’ve had today. : )

listens2glenn on April 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I am probably wrong in writing this, but I hope North Korea launches a missile. Something that would justify an invasion to clean out that hell hole and liberate the people of North Korea. Of course, we’d need to have a CIC with the spine to take on such an effort. Most likely we’d see out of the WH an offer to “talk” to N.Korea so we can work out our differences.

Mallard T. Drake on April 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Mallard T. Drake on April 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

If that happens you’re looking at millions of people (and probably a lot of Americans) getting killed, only to be left with the problem of what to do with the ash heap that North Korea used to be. No one wants to be responsible for cleaning up that mess.

alchemist19 on April 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

dentarthurdent on April 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

She endorsed Mitt, tried to have a congressional aide arrested, and there is more…

IlikedAUH2O on April 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM