GOP rep with gay son: I’m still a no on gay marriage

posted at 6:41 pm on April 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via NRO, Rob Portman was criticized by gay-marriage supporters for reconsidering his stance on SSM only after it affected him personally. This guy, naturally, will be criticized harshly for not reconsidering his stance after it affected him personally. His choice of words is interesting, though. Not only does he not think that his son chose to be gay, he uses a term more often heard from gay-rights supporters when he says he hasn’t “evolved” to the point of supporting SSM. More backstory via WaPo:

Salmon voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and for a ban on gay adoptions in Washington, D.C. His wife, Nancy Salmon, led the Arizona chapter of the group United Families International during an unsuccessful 2006 fight to ban gay marriage, civil unions and domestic partnerships in the state constitution. (A narrower marriage amendment was passed two years later)…

Salmon’s son, also named Matt Salmon, leads the Arizona Log Cabin Republicans, a pro-gay rights GOP group. In a 2010 interview with the Phoenix New Times, the 22-year-old revealed that he was dating Kent Flake, the second cousin of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). In the article, both young men discussed coming out to their conservative Mormon families.

“The first time I had a conversation with [my father] about it, it did not go well. He was very upset and said some things right off that I know he doesn’t really feel,” Salmon told the paper. “He’s never called me any slurs or anything like that, but he made it clear he didn’t like it.” The younger Salmon said his father came to support his activism even if he didn’t agree with it, but that the struggle for his family’s complete acceptance continued.

Via the Hill, to my surprise, there are still 20 Democrats in the House who either oppose gay marriage or have stayed conspicuously silent on the subject. Most are from red states, as you might expect, but there are a few blue-state outliers in there. Dan Lipinski comes from a district in Illinois that hasn’t elected a Republican to Congress since the Ford administration and yet at last check he still opposes SSM. I wonder if he’ll end up on some lefty group’s primary radar next year or in 2016.

Comments

Allah! The Walking Dead Finale synposis today?

Actually, I’m not joking, we are going to have 20 years of this in the news cycle…I’m not just talking Hot Air. It’s going to be Flaming Gas, in fact Allah should start a sister site.

Oil Can on April 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

My Rep. Thank you, Matt.

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I don’t understand this line of thinking. This logic is for people who automatically think you are against gay marriage because you “don’t know any.”

I know and am related to many people on welfare. I love a lot of them. That doesn’t change my position on single motherhood or the welfare state.

melle1228 on April 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Praise be to Allah! More gaygenda from the gaystapo!

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’m willing to bet many who are against ssm would’ve been against drm decades ago

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

A man who loves his son but won’t call his son’s relationship with another man as “marriage”. Many of those close-minded, stereotyped thinkers on the Left can’t comprehend that, so they lash out emotionally and call him names, like bigot or hater.

This is the way it is in this country today. Those intolerant ones on the Left, which is most of them, are the new Bull Connors of our day. They are the evil of our time.

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Dan Lipinski is also anti-abortion. Funny thing about his district is that it has a HUGE muzzie population. HUGE.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’m against ssm-and I couldn’t care less what race the girls my son dates are. Nice try though.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Looks like the MSM better step up its production of
hit pieces on the FLDS right quick.

cynccook on April 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Why don’t you ask the Democrats? They’re the ones that instituted segregation laws and blocked all the civil rights legislation put forth by Republicans.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

drm? Duck retard marriage?

Are you trying to play the race card sweetie? Because it is usuallly referred to as interracial marriage. And no, you would be wrong. There was historical precedent for interracial relationships. And IRM was the state making sure that people didn’t breed together..

Liberals are so predictable..

melle1228 on April 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

What is “drm?”

Marriage is one man + one woman. Anything else is not marriage.

If we redefine marriage to apply to two people of the same sex, in the name of “equality,” then we will have to include other “relationships” too.

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I think most people could be considered “against” cancer proteins. If you meant something else, I have no idea what it is.

Sockpuppet Politic on April 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Allahpundit- thanks for the April Fool’s ghey prank!

Last GOP member with final gay child refuses to budge on SSM!

profitsbeard on April 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Digital rights management – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Digital rights management (DRM) is a class of controversial access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders

Yeah, I think you’re getting a little off-topic there notpartofsane.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Oil Can on April 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Assafire, Gayme?

arnold ziffel on April 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

At least there is one Republican willing to stand on principle.

Blue Collar Todd on April 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Hard as it is for the Sodomites to believe: You can still love the child without embracing his lifestyle choices.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Cheers for Salmon for standing firm.

The PC police will be after him.

Principles are always the surest course.

INC on April 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Finally. Sanity in regards to this issue.

If a person’s son/daughter became a murderer, would it cause to to “evolve” on your views on murder?

portlandon on April 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Minority groups live on the Dem plantation. Repubs cannot win on this issue no matter what. You want to support “victim” groups and mentality; go Dem, but if you think for one minute that the gay Demographic will give us any credit for supporting their pet causes- you guys are ignorant.

I mean HELLO civil rights party and yet we are considered by the media and the blacks as racist. We don’t treat woman as children but we are the sexist. People who want to be victims and be treated as it are Dems. That is why Portman couldn’t win and neither will Salmon.

melle1228 on April 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Perhaps the man intends to represent the wishes of his voters

However, the important thing is to get his photo and bio out there, so the screamers can start their picket lines

entagor on April 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM

nonpartisan- you’re quite simply: a troll.

CW on April 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

DRM is stupid and I’ve been against it for years now. How moronic is it that I can’t copy my own DVD to use in the truck so the kids don’t lose the original.

Just say NO! to DRM.

Bishop on April 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Only 20+ comments so far? Is teh ghey not hip anymore?

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Just say NO! to DRM.

Bishop on April 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Maybe because you drive a gas-guzzling truck instead of a matchbox with wheels? Just sayin…

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Sure hope his taxes can withstand the audit.
Good for him.

pambi on April 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

It’s interesting how quickly people expect the traditional beliefs of thousands of years to be tossed out the window. And not just to accept the change but to revel in it as a great stride forward. I’m on record as believing no fault divorce has done more to hurt marriage than what gays will do but I still think progressive’s childish desire to get their way immediately is ridiculous. More foot stomping and name calling, but why would they tamper with success?

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Down with Digital Rights Management!

preallocated on April 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

portlandon on April 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

That comparison will go over like a lead balloon.

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Nelson is next my friends…

cmsinaz on April 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

And then will cite bigotry if you don’t accept the change right away..

melle1228 on April 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’m willing to bet many who are for ssm will be for lowering the age of legal consent less than a decade from now.

hawkdriver on April 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Hear ya, GF.

pambi on April 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Found out my brother is gay last year….still didn’t change my mind on gay marriage.

terryannonline on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Lipinski is undoubtedly a Sox fan. We tend to stay focused on what’s important. Unlike…

wolfsDad on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

melle1228 on April 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Every time they want to equate this with the Civil Rights movement my head nearly explodes. They accuse the Right of being in their bedroom and I’m still trying to figure out how I became privy to it and how the he!! I can leave.

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Matt Salomn, “Life, liberty, etc doesn’t apply to homos.”

Mmm...Burritos on April 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

It’s true. I’m a conservative and have always been against digital rights management. But my views on that are evolving after I found out my gay son had been downloading songs illegally.

Dongemaharu on April 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Matt Salomn, “Life, liberty, etc doesn’t apply to homos.”

Mmm…Burritos on April 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Follow the name-calling and pejoratives and you find a liberal just as following the smell of urine and body odor will lead you to Ratso Rizzo and Joe Buck.

/Midnight Cowboy, speaking of gay themes

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Not only that, but discounting the tradition of maybe 250,000,000 years of male-female mammalian sex and equating homosexual sex with it without blinking an eye … what are they thinking?

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

terryannonline on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Not to mention how many gay friends of mine couldn’t care less about it all.
Sigh.

pambi on April 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well this is what’s so dumb about relying upon family relations and emotional sympathy to structure reform. Whatever the interpersonal relationship between lawmakers and their children they shouldn’t be legislating on that. Make your argument for or against same-sex marriage based upon data and logic and move on.

libfreeordie on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Stop being a drama queen. The Earth is less than 10,000 years old and there were no homosexuals before the Commie Carter administration.

Mmm...Burritos on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

terryannonline on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Glad your brother is telling others he’s happy and joyous.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

terryannonline on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Is this the new cancer? Everyone knows someone who’s had it?

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My rant exactly! Brava!!!

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Only 40+ comments?? Maybe gay isn’t so fabulous anymore? Oh well, on to the 6 yr old brides!

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Glad your brother is telling others he’s happy and joyous.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Caught a sound clip from Dr. Phil … he says “homosexual” is no longer used. He insinuated it’s a pejorative. So I guess we’re stuck with “gay”. The use of “homosexual” means you’re a hater. Don’t be a hater.

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Finally. Sanity in regards to this issue.

portlandon on April 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I recently found out a family member had been imprisoned for certain offences involving children. It did not cause me to ‘evolve’ my views on pedophelia.

The Thin Man Returns on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Matt Salomn, “Life, liberty, etc doesn’t apply to homos.”

Mmm…Burritos on April 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Sniff…sniff…

…I smell troll.

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

hawkdriver on April 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

You my friend are a slipperyslopaphobe.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The Thin Man Returns on April 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Chris Christie, is that you?!?

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Homosexual it is, so I’ll use it.
;-)

pambi on April 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

terryannonline on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Is this the new cancer? Everyone knows someone who’s had it?

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

It doesn’t matter how many people we know are gay. My brother came out years ago but it doesn’t change my values. I still love him. In all honesty, his partner is a better person than my brother will ever be. None of this changes my views on gay marriage.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Glad your brother is telling others he’s happy and joyous.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I vote for a new term: homophile.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Why do they hate science?

Cindy Munford on April 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

libfreeordie on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So, you agree with Justice Kagan that there is no federal constitutional right to SSM?

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I bet you’re one of those raging boobyphobes that is against finding a cure for breast cancer too? Save the tatas!!!

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Well then, I’ll stick to calling them sodmites. No offense there. ;0

Seriously, I have no intention of making sodomy politically correct.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

libfreeordie on April 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

If you lose at SCOTUS, will you just “move on”?

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Seriously, I have no intention of making sodomy politically correct.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Sodomy laws applied to heterosexuals, too. When men start protesting that blow jobs and anal sex with women should be illegal and politically incorrect, I’ll believe they’re serious.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Up the meds friend. Your post is completely insane. If you had a point (doubtful) you buried it in your insane rant.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Holy crap!

You mean people in the same family have disparate viewpoints on things?!

The Hell you say…!

catmman on April 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Thank you Mr Salmon……..

crosshugger on April 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

To quote the Joker, why so serious? No offense intended; I’ll be sure to include a sarc tag from now on.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Seriously, I have no intention of making sodomy politically correct.

Happy Nomad on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Aside from the serious documentary work on the Spice channel, anal sex is not high on the list of heterosexual diversions. Might want to give up that lame comparison.

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Nutstuyu on April 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You might want to take a look at the multi-billion dollar pornography industry and the titles of the best-selling films.

As I said, sodomy laws in most jurisdictions applied to oral and anal sex between homosexuals…AND HETEROSEXUALS…some, like NY, made exceptions for married couples.

I noticed that you omitted oral sex. I will take that as a tacit admission that you enjoy a good BJ on occasion.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

…and when you start defending adulterers the way you defend homosexuals, then you’ll be consistent.

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Well, luv, if you are expecting me to condemn sex between heterosexuals, who aren’t married, then you will be disappointed.

If heterosexuals want to engage in consensual “sodomy,” I frankly couldn’t care less. It is NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

BTW, you probably are just beet-red with Biblical fury that I don’t buy into your definition of adultery, ie, sex outside of marriage. Well, I don’t. Furthermore, what happens in other people’s marriages are ALSO NONE OF MY BUSINESS NOR ARE THEY ANY OF YOURS, MRS KRAVITZ.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Kagan was referring to current jurisprudence. Prior to Loving v. Virginia there was no federally recognized Constitutional right to interracial marriage. This is a big misunderstanding among conservatives, they refuse to acknowledge that Court decisions are an essential part of separation of powers and they forget that all Court decisions write new or clarify existing law (which is the same thing as new law). So Kagan saying there’s no federal constitutional right to marriage is merely an assessment of the status quo.

libfreeordie on April 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

wolfsDad on April 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Zero’s a Sux fan too. Just sayin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

libfreeordie on April 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

#1 I am not a Conservative – FOR THE 11 BILLIONTH TIME.

#2 Yes, she quoted the law as it currently exists; however, the Court has consistently ruled – even after Loving – that marriage is a state issue.

#3 As I have written, nothing in the oral arguments suggests that the Court is going to “go big.” It will most likely strike down DOMA, which has always been unconstitutional, and either let the Federal District Judge’s ruling stand or Prop 8 stand. There will be no Loving decision. If you are expecting otherwise, you are very likely bound to be disappointed, as will any SSM opponents expecting the Court to uphold DOMA.

#4 Do you agree with Justice Sotomayor that there is no logical reason why the government should not be able to prevent polygamy?

Personally, I don’t believe the government has any business in the marriage business. Allow consenting adults to enter into contracts that control their financial and other matters, get rid of tax favouritism AND lower tax rates, and religious institutions can perform marital ceremonies that are non-binding under the law.

The government’s involvement in marriage is a recent development in the history of civilisation.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Nor was there any Federal constitutional bar to it.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So…what’s new? You’d always bet against America, too…and you also be wrong about that.

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on April 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You know, if the media would actually report on the ugly side of homosexuality–the diseases, the rates of domestic abuse, etc.–and on the people who have happily and successfully left the lifestyle, I wonder if so many people would feel like supporting same-sex marriage was the only option they had to show love and support for homosexual friends/family members. (And I’m including in that “ugly side” those situations where someone began struggling with same-sex attraction after being sexually abused. In the rush to lump all homosexuals into the same category of “born that way,” those who have suffered abuse are being absolutely ignored.) Same-sex marriage proponents who truly care about “the gays” should be as vocal about demanding help for the ones who want out of the lifestyle as they are in demanding same-sex marriage for the ones who don’t. That they aren’t suggests to me either a) they are woefully ignorant about that unreported “ugly side,” b) they have no idea that change is possible (and doesn’t involve brain-washing or psychological torture), or c) their concern is only for trumpeting the cause of homosexuality but does not actually extend to those who have to live with its consequences.

As a society, we have mutilated the concept of what it means to love someone. Love doesn’t mean giving people everything they want and only telling them what they want to hear, and mindlessly validating the self-destructive choices, traits, or acts of friends and family members is not love at all. Love wants better for you than you want for yourself and isn’t afraid to (gently but firmly) say so.

butterflies and puppies on April 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

You mean the guy who had such good times at “Cominsky Park”? Try again.

wolfsDad on April 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Oops. That was “Cominskey Field”.

wolfsDad on April 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

butterflies and puppies on April 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Since God = Love, it HAS to be distorted to be accepted by sinners/hedonists, no ??

pambi on April 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

/Midnight Cowboy, speaking of gay themes

Paul-Cincy on April 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Funny you mention urine… You wouldn’t happen to be talking about the time Joe Buck urinated in one of his class mates shoes as a form of bullying would you?

Joe Buck Peed in My Shoes

preallocated on April 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on April 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Yeppers. Did you miss this Epic Fail of nobrain (attempting to explain O’s 2-22 on the b-ball court)?

you could tell at the end that he was missing on purpose…prob to connect by seeming more ordinary

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

‘Cuz cutting his lavish vacays and settling for camping trips like “ordinary” peeps would just be too, well, ordinary.

You truly are a blithering, blabbering, ass-kissing idiot.

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

JannyMae on April 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

It still drives me crazy that voters chose Napolitano over this guy (twice!). I wonder, if he had been elected, would Nappy have gotten the notoriety she got? Would Obama still have chosen her? I didn’t rejoice when she left – I knew she was going to be in a position to cause much more trouble.

We could’ve had this guy. Matt Salmon would have been infinitely better. Arizona would be so much better off then and now…

Shay on April 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

favouritism

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Your gratuitous use of the letter u is emblematic of our societal decay.

steebo77 on April 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM

but that the struggle for his family’s complete acceptance continued.

Hmmm…where have I heard something about acceptance before…

Pattosensei on April 2, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Resist We Much on April 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

You’re an idiot. You argue like one of the trolls here with your freaking projection. You act something like a conservative until you get to one of your liberal social issues. Then you attack any conservative with the most childish BS debate tactics to shut them down. Who the f#ck do you think you are?

smoothsailing on April 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I have gay friends, therefore the liberal bastards grant me special opinion status on this matter.

I’m against gay marriage.

So there.

JackM on April 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

All these liberals who are in favor of gay marriage, because they want to win elections, not because they care about gays, cannot answer the following question:

After you de-define Marriage, and allow gays to marry, how will you justify not allowing three, or more people, to get married each to the other?

JackM on April 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM