Video: Hollywood rediscovers The Bible?

posted at 2:31 pm on March 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Tomorrow, the final installment of the History Channel miniseries The Bible will air, bringing to a conclusion one of the most popular television events of this season. Don’t think that the commercial appeal of religious fare has gone unnoticed, either. The Washington Times reported last night that a new miniseries based on the New Testament is now in the works:

The ratings have spoken — and they’re telling television producers that a six-hour, $20 million miniseries on Jesus of Nazareth will prove as great a success as the recent History channel production “The Bible.”

“We believe the audience continues to have a hunger for life- and faith-affirming films,” said Michael Landon Jr., who is writing and producing the “Jesus of Nazareth” series with Brian Bird for Brad Krevoy’s MPCA, the Hollywood Reporter says. “The monumental success of Mark Burnett and Roma Downey’s ‘The Bible’ just underscores that.”

It’s easier to trust a name like Michael Landon Jr when in comes to presenting religious programming in a fair and straightforward light.  Color me skeptical, however, when it comes to Showtime’s new series in development, The Vatican.  Lifetime has a new reality series called Preachers’ Daughters, which seems to revel in the seamier side of the families of ministers.  It reminds one of the wise proverb – be careful what you wish for … you may get it.

Still, Landon has been proven correct by Burnett and Downey.  The public has a hunger for affirming presentations of the Bible and of religion-themed entertainment.  Even while watching The Bible from my DVR this week after my return from Rome, I found myself looking for my copies of The Ten Commandments, The Prince of Egypt, and my old VHS cassettes of the original Jesus of Nazareth miniseries. Perhaps if told in respectful ways, as Burnett and Downey did with The Bible, Hollywood might do well by doing some good.

Downey joins a couple of her castmates in this CBS interview about producing and acting in her miniseries, which concludes tomorrow night.  I especially enjoyed her teenage children’s advice on special effects before she left to start shooting the film — “Don’t make it lame!”  That’s good advice for Hollywood in the future, too.

Comments

Hollywood is lame to begin with. It is easier to forgive a man’s sins and to tell him to get up and walk than it is for a Hollywood producer to not make a lame Christian film…..

/of course.

ted c on March 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We have watched all so far and will tomorrow. It is sure to make me cry, but I know how it turns out.

He has risen and did so for our sins.
L

letget on March 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I know how it turns out.

He has risen and did so for our sins.

Amen. I await the sequel to finish the story. He’ll be back.

Probably sooner than most expect.

hawkeye54 on March 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM

“Their kids are asking about the Bible…asking about God”

Well, that’s encouraging. Maybe the secularism just doesn’t satisfy something deep inside after all. /

The challenge, of course, will be twofold. First: separate the Hollywood from the Real story, it’s too easy, given our penchant for adding an entertainment value to everything, to miss the message. and,
Second: Keep them asking before they get sold out to the things of this life.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The Bible is a pretty good TV series I think..It’s popularity proves that God still has a lot of followers in this country and people are
still thirsty for more of him..

sadsushi on March 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Same, exact thing they said after Passion. And we got Arnold’s devil baby movie and then nothing else.

The devil’s not going to make out movies, guys.

We need to go grab Vicki Vallencourt, jump on our lawnmowers, and go get our manhood.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

And if you want to go whole hog (sorry), tonight ABC is having its annual unreeling of Cecil B’s 1956 epic, “The Ten Commandments” starting at 7 PM EDT.

You know the movie is gonna be long when the official trailer lasts 10 minutes!

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I watched the first installment of it and thought it was OK; I doubt I will have time to see the final installment tomorrow, although I can probably catch it on On Demand.

That being said, I still think Franco Zeffirelli hit it out of the park with “Jesus of Nazareth,” and it’s my subtle measuring stick for depictions of the life of Christ.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think positive life affirming movies are more popular then Hollywood could imagine. I can think of quite a few movies that have done quite well without a large budget or a media push. I think that if the message is positive and the story well told it will find a hungry market. A few examples would be the Kendrick Brothers work, soul Surfer, To Save A Life I could go on…I think the key is to have a positive message and a story that has decent flow and is compelling. The Bible mini series does both in spades.

JKotthoff on March 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Showtime will show the Vatican as homophobic, islamophobic plotters out to destroy all the liberal icons of victimhood.

pat on March 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I gotta say though, that I really don’t think it can be conveyed in a movie. If it’s a starting point for the young asking questions, ok, but they have to move on from there pretty quickly or He becomes just another character in a play.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I’ve enjoyed the series so far, but have been uncomfortable with the edits made to make the Bible more palatable for a brainless American public.

AngusMc on March 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

AngusMc on March 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I agree. There were several cringe-inducing moments.

Othniel on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Love to see a Bhagavad Gita series. :)

Dandapani on March 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Why does Showtime need “The Vatican”, they have “The Borgias” and I bet it’s all the same to them.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

They’ve gotten a few things wrong such as the Wise men arriving at the time of the birth of Christ, which is the commonly held idea about Christ’s birth. Which is incorrect.

In Matthew 2:11 it clearly states they arrived in Jerusalem after His birth. They had followed the star, then met King Herod in Jerusalem, then left Jerusalem and continued to follow the star, and then found Him with Mary in “a house”, not the stable, in Bethlehem. Obviously, sometime after His birth in the stable, His family moved him into a house.

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi[a] from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”

3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written:

6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for out of you will come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’[b]”

7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”

9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. 12 And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.”

avagreen on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

HarryBackside on March 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Burnett and Downey have produce this wonderful series, amazing coming from a couple who are Hollywood liberals. The fact that the History Channel, which recently seemed to be everything space alien all the time, is astounding. This is must see TV.

By the way, Hollywood never got away from doing good religious movies. Mel Gibson (yes I have a lot of problems with his issues with Jews) made the magnificent Passion of the Christ a few years ago. That should also be must see TV this weekend. It’s online on YouTube.

simkeith on March 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I’ve enjoyed it so far but I am worried: is Paul going to get his due? I thought they might have the crucifixion at the end of the last episode but no.

Paul is arguably more important historically than Jesus in that without him the message doesn’t get out of Israel. (I’m not making a theological point here for, obviously, without Jesus there is no Apostle Paul). At any rate, I do hope they give at least a bit to his work and also to John, writing the Revelation from Patmos in his 90′s. We need to end with that.

MaxMBJ on March 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Gay

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yep Passion of the Christ is a very well done, tear inducing movie..It’s the best movie about Jesus I have seen

sadsushi on March 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

sadsushi on March 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’m partial to His portrayal in Ben Hur, myself.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

a six-hour, $20 million miniseries on Jesus of Nazareth

There are already excellent portrayals of the Lord (The Passion, The Gospel of John).

Why not make an epic film about Joseph, son of Jacob?

Or a tragedy flick about the Babylonian conquest of Judah?

Or a fast-paced adventure about Acts of the Apostles?

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I’m partial to His portrayal in Ben Hur, myself.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Greatest. Film. Ever.

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Gay

Rusty Allen on March 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

…starts Monday again…

KOOLAID2 on March 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM

AngusMc on March 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I agree. There were several cringe-inducing moments.

Othniel on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I can’t find the verse where it talks about the Chinese angel with the wild samurai-sword skills leading Lot’s family out of Sodom.

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

HarryBackside on March 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Perhaps simply portraying what happened as written in Genesis 19?

I know it’s not as exciting, not having the angels hop around like Ninja sword masters performing bad Kung-fu, dressed up as Roman soldiers using Samurai swords to boot…

It was culturally sensitive though, showing the Asian angel as the one doing the Kung-fu and using the Asian weapons too, so they gets points for political correctness.

Perhaps my understanding of the scripture isn’t as ‘modern’ as yours…

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

LOL! I felt like I was watching a video game.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I remember back in the olden days when “Jesus Christ, Superstar” came out, I had serious misgivings about seeing it on the chance that it as blasphemous but I enjoyed it and it probably gave a nudge to some youth in the direction of Christ.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

It really is a good film, despite the overacting and the cheezy 1950′s special effects, the story line is quite good.

But His portrayal in this film is second to none, IMO.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yes, I agree. I also should mention that I thought “The Passion of the Christ” was very well done, too. Both “Passion” and “Jesus of Nazareth” IMHO are true to the Gospels — as true as can be accomplished in a movie, that is, which is no small feat in and of itself. I always liked the fact that both movies are endorsed by the USCCB as faithful to Catholic teachings.

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You beat me to it … I actually laughed out loud at that and from there on, I concluded that the rest of the series would be — how shall we say? — campy.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

avagreen on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My Squadron Commander was so offended when what you presented was presented by a Lutheran Champlain during a Christmas sermon that he quit going to Chapel services. Far to many believers know essentially the “Disney” version of His birth. It ain’t true but it makes for a good movie.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Just watched my personal favorite (among many I must add) last night: King of Kings! :) I’m looking forward to tomorrow nights final episode.
HAPPY EASTER TO ALL! HE IS RISEN!

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Just finished reading that Chapter last week. The tenor of the story is that they had to forcefully drag Lot and his family out. It wasn’t quite leading.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I hope creative people make more films about the Bible & the Saints. Recently an independent film came out about St. Augustine.

I grew up when these films were regularly shown on TV during the seasons…But now not so much which is sad…very sad.

Today is the Harrowing of Hell…

Happy is Holy Saturday.

“An Ancient Sermon:

Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him – He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . “I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead.” [From an Ancient Holy Saturday Homily ca 2nd Century]

Nothing could be more beautiful than that line addressed to Adam and Eve: I am your God, who, for your sake, became your Son.”

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Have a blessed Resurrection Day to you and all the Hot Air believers.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Another thing is that I think it would be better to inspire a child’s interest in reading the Bible in the first place if they watched movies such as “Jesus of Nazareth” or “Ben Hur.” I can see where a kid would watch this Bible series, with the Ninja angels slinging around their swords, and conclude that they wouldn’t want to read even a children’s version of the real, published Bible because it was not exciting enough.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Holy Spirit tingle in my spine from that quote from an Ancient Sermon.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Way, way, waaaaayyyyyyyy in the back of my mind, I remember hearing a sermon similar to this very one many years ago as a child. I never forgot the main gist of it and still think of it in the same way each Holy Saturday.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Thank you and the same to you and yours and all Hot Air….ers! :)

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Holy Spirit tingle in my spine from that quote from an Ancient Sermon.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Wow … what Chemman said. Beautiful sermon.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Unfortunately Ed, and I say this as someone who thinks the Church gets a lot of false flack from the lamestream media (and even from quite a few Protestants and Jews), given all the real life shennangins with the Roman Curia, Showtime or Cinemax might be a good fit for The Vatican.

Mr. Joe on March 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Holy Spirit tingle in my spine from that quote from an Ancient Sermon.

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Yeah…Msgr. Pope wrote a great reflection on Holy Saturday at his blog (Link posted with the sermon) today & posted 2 nice videos as well.

Hope you and everyone have a joyous Easter… and a nice Sunday for those in the Hotgas community who don’t celebrate Easter but spend the day with family.

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Well, I guess it’s a difficult thing to do in a film, considering the audience you’re trying to reach and where they’re at philosophically and intellectually. I suspect that the 1st century Christians didn’t face the challenges that 21st century Western Christians do in presenting the truths of the Gospel. At least not in terms of having it understood as personally relevant and immediate.

But, I suppose, even a cheezy portrayal’s better than none at all.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

chemman on March 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Thank you and the same to you and yours and all Hot Air….ers! :)

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My Irish grandmother used to tell me the story of the Harrowing of Hell on Holy Saturday when I was a small child.

I was always profoundly moved by it…and as a small child it helped me with the grief of Good Friday…and relate to the profundity of Easter.

It is the beginning of a joyous suspense…that culminates in Easter and the wonder of events afterward.

workingclass artist on March 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

was thinking the same thing

cmsinaz on March 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL! HE IS RISEN!

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

HE IS RISEN INDEED!

A blessed Easter to you

cmsinaz on March 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

IMHO, this is probably the best (human) portrayal of “The Bible Story”. No, of course it doesn’t use as all its lines the literal reading of Scripture as some of the previously films; but I have yet to see anything untrue, or detrimental, that would falsely protray the message or meaning of the story.
Shalom!

elihu on March 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL! HE IS RISEN!

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

HE IS RISEN INDEED!

A blessed Easter to you

Amen.

hawkeye54 on March 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I’m partial to His portrayal in Ben Hur, myself.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Greatest. Film. Ever.

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

But His portrayal in this film is second to none, IMO.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Overacting?

Academy Awards for Best Actor & Best Supporting Actor.

Cheesy?

From Wiki:

Critical reception
Ben-Hur received overwhelmingly positive reviews upon its release.[175] The film received a 89% approval rating from critics on aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes, with its summary stating: “Uneven, but in terms of epic scope and grand spectacle, Ben-Hur still ranks among Hollywood’s finest examples of pure entertainment.”[176] Bosley Crowther, writing for The New York Times, called Ben-Hur “a remarkably intelligent and engrossing human drama”.[177] While praising the acting and William Wyler’s “close-to” direction, he also had high praise for the chariot race: “There has seldom been anything in movies to compare with this picture’s chariot race. It is a stunning complex of mighty setting, thrilling action by horses and men, panoramic observation and overwhelming use of dramatic sound.”[177] Jack Gaver, writing for United Press International, also had praise for the acting, calling it full of “genuine warmth and fervor and finely acted intimate scenes”.[178] Philip K. Scheuer of the Los Angeles Times called it “magnificent, inspiring, awesome, enthralling, and all the other adjectives you have been reading about it.”[179] He also called the editing “generally expert” although at times abrupt.[179] Ronald Holloway, writing for Variety, called Ben-Hur “a majestic achievement, representing a superb blending of the motion picture arts by master craftsmen,” and concluded that “Gone With the Wind, Metro’s own champion all-time top grosser, will eventually have to take a back seat.”[180] The chariot race “will probably be preserved in film archives as the finest example of the use of the motion picture camera to record an action sequence. The race, directed by Andrew Marton and Yakima Canutt, represents some 40 minutes of the most hair-raising excitement that film audiences have ever witnessed.”[180]

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

cmsinaz on March 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

And to you and yours my margarita makin friend! ;)

sicoit on March 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Jesus Christ Superstar is what led me to Christ. I was not raised in a Christian household. But I heard that on the radio, bought the album and almost wore it out. I learned every lyric by heart and decided to get a Bible and read about Jesus to follow up. That was 40 years ago and I’m still reading that Bible, every. single. day.

tommyboy on March 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Or a fast-paced adventure about Acts of the Apostles?
itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Check out the flick “Peter and Paul” because it is just that. Anthony Hopkins does a killer job in the role of Paul the Apostle. Just killer – he really nails it.

tommyboy on March 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Overacting?

Academy Awards for Best Actor & Best Supporting Actor.

Cheesy?

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well, perhaps “overacting” isn’t the best term. Charlton Heston was previously a stage actor and a stage actor’s delivery is always conditioned on the need to project one’s voice and facial expressions a bit more aggressively, shall we say, to compensate for the distance between the audience and the actor. Some of that comes into play in his acting on screen in this film.

The special effects I call “cheesy” are only in comparison to the effects of today. For their day, I suppose, they were spectacular.

I saw the film in a theater as a 9 year old. Of course, at that time, all I saw was the Roman soldiers and the chariot race, heh, but as an altar boy at the time, I was moved by the spiritual message as well.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Wow, all that brouhaha about Satan looking like Dear Leader turned out to be a tempest in a teabag, didn’t it?

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

HarryBackside on March 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Read the beginning of the book of Joshua where the Commander of the Army of God (an angel) confronts Joshua. (Some, including me, think this Commander is the pre-incarnate Christ) I doubt that angel was dressed in what our minds imagine angels wearing. He wore armor and most likely, carried a sword. I applaud the way the Bible series has portrayed angels. We have so many wonderful surprises awaiting us when we finally see Jesus face to face. I, for one, can’t wait.

Have a great Easter. Christ has risen!

FastTalker on March 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Very true.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

think this Commander is the pre-incarnate Christ

Have a great Easter. Christ has risen!

FastTalker on March 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Here’s one for you: POST-incarnate.

Cleombrotus on March 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Soon I will be off to our Easter Vigil Mass so I want to wish all of you here on Hot Air a very blessed Easter.

He is risen!

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Would it have been if there was not proof of donations to Obama by the producers?

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

tommyboy on March 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

That’s beautiful. My youth did not include much association with a church either but I have always been open to Christ and his teachings. The older I get the more proof I have of his love.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Hollywood might do well by doing some good.

Are you kidding me? Hollywood would produce something about Jesus reaffirming the rights of LGBT and the Roman’s doing a house to house confiscation of AR-15′s and Big Gulps to protect the “little” people from their sins.

TulsAmerican on March 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I have not seen the movie yet!, I figured to watch the whole episodes tomorrow from beginning to end. I know it will be awesome given that Roma Downey is staring/producing the film.

hawkman on March 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for posting about this, Ed. Since I haven’t had cable TV for a few years now (tired of paying for mostly crap), I wasn’t really aware of this series. I had seen some comment about it online but not enough to spark my interest. I was unaware that Roma Downey was part of this series and since I enjoyed her work in “Touched By An Angel” I’m going to give this series a look-see now.

All excellent movies. “Jesus of Nazareth” is still my favorite series on the life of Christ. Remember other favorites like “Quo Vadis”, “The Robe”, “Ben Hur” and “A.D.”? Great movies all.

Happy Easter, Ed!

JohnAGJ on March 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM

FastTalker on March 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I have no problem in the portrayal of Angels as soldiers. Of course they are.

My problem is with the portrayal of a scriptural event as if its an action flick.

I have no problem with embellishment or the taking of ‘liberties’. But we’re talking about a scriptural event that explains pretty well what happened. There’s no need for embellishment.

And none of the bibles in my house read as if the Angels were ninjas hopping around performing bad Kung-fu.

If that’s your thing, fine.

Not my cup of tea.

catmman on March 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Where I appreciate the quality biblical entertainment, I can not help but think those motivated by the money available marketing the bible would of been despised by Jesus as were the money changes at the temple steps.

Grunt on March 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

We have truly enjoyed this series.
Methinks that some of details like ‘ninja angels’ depicts things well, actually.
Oh, I’ve heard the swords above my head, at times. :-)
Hubbly & I can’t exactly put our fingers upon WHY, but this series does NOT feel cheesy in the least… That has pleased us a great deal.

Almost afraid of what other Hollywood productions might bring, in the name of ca$hing in on the appeal, but the bad ones are so easily discerned, so be it.

Happy Resurrection Day to all !!

pambi on March 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I do believe that hollywood has a lot more to worry about than just being lame. Liberalism perverts everything even the Bible….He is returning and very knee will bow and every tongue confess that Christ is Lord…Will the sanctioning of immoral behavior be repented. Will immoral politicians, that support killing the innocent, stealing from the prosperous, supporting the sin known as homosexuality and a host of other sins repent. Will they know Him when He returns. America needs to hit her knees and beg for forgiveness. We have turned our faces away from Him. He is risen, He is risen indeed……

crosshugger on March 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I just wish they would cast a swarthy, dark, short jewish man to play Jesus. I don’t get why they follow the stereotype. Whether the Bible is accurate or not anyone from that time and place would be nothing like the person cast in this movie. Is there such a flick? I would love to see it.

RutRoh on March 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

RutRoh on March 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Agreed. You might find this interesting:

here

Cleombrotus on March 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM

OOPS. Try this one:

Cleombrotus on March 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I’ve enjoyed reading the comments about the movies. I’m going to have to go back and look at some of them. (I haven’t seen “The Robe” in decades.)

I missed the first episode of “The Bible”, and shall miss the last as it’s on cable and I don’t have that at home. I thought that what I saw had a rather Cliff Notes feel. Probably inevitable. I”m glad the series was made and is doing well.

Happy Easter to All!

Kevin K. on March 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM

They lost me when they portrayed the angels leading Lott and his family from Gommorah as martial arts Ninja masters and turned it into a swordplay action feature. catmman on March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

How should they have been portrayed? As small, winged people with smiles on their faces? HarryBackside on March 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The proper alternative to portraying them as something they are not is not to portray them as something else they are not.

Gen. 19:4-5, Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

From this we learn two things: that they were indistinguishable from men, and Lot had a slightly more difficult homosexual population to deal with than even we do.

Akzed on March 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Main Article

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Studio that had Saved! lingering in distribution hell decided to push it into distribution after the success of Passion because (quoting from memory) “people are into that Jesus stuff.” See also: Profiles in Cluelessness.

apostic on March 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’ve seen parts of this mini-series, but I’ve had to watch on my own because it is often too graphically violent for my young son. It would have been so much better if they could have toned down the gore… but perhaps this was necessary to attract younger, more desensitized viewers?

TheLoudTalker on March 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM