Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on March 30, 2013 by Allahpundit

The latest round of threats exchanged by North Korea and the United States is dragging on longer and taking on a more virulent tone than in the past, provoking deep concerns among American officials and their allies…

While a direct attack on U.S. forces on the mainland or in the Pacific seems unlikely, nongovernment analysts said the rising tensions increase the risk of some form of limited armed conflict. North Korea recently cut off its military phone line with the South, which is used to coordinate logistics along the demilitarized border buffer.

“The level and scope of the rhetoric [in North Korea] is stronger than in the past,” said Scott A. Snyder, a Korea expert at the Council on Foreign Relations. “This time we’ve seen a higher level of threat, delivered at a higher level.”

He added, “There’s room for miscalculation right now.”

***

This time around, foreign-policy watchers said, a confluence of circumstances have set the stage for Kim Jong Un’s provocations:

– Pyongyang is stewing over the U.N. Security Council, with the support of China, tightening sanctions after satellite and nuclear testing that suggested they could one day attack the U.S.

– There are new administrations in South Korea, China and Tokyo, and President Barack Obama is making second-term changes to his defense and national-security leadership, so the timing is right to test the waters.

– Kim Jong Un may need to consolidate his political power at home. A strong response by the U.S. or South Korea, such as this week’s B-2 bomber flyover, helps rally domestic support and distract from economic problems.

– North Korea’s last nuclear test showed progress. “You feel you can afford to threaten because you feel you have a deterrent,” said Scott Snyder, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations.

***

In fact, it is the abilities that Mr. Kim is not showing off that have the Obama administration most worried. The cyberattacks on South Korea’s banking system and television broadcasters two weeks ago were surprisingly successful, as was the torpedo attack three years ago this week on the Cheonan, a naval corvette, that killed 46 South Korean sailors. The North has never acknowledged involvement in either — though the South believes it was responsible for both and so do American experts.

“We’re convinced this is about Kim solidifying his place with his own people and his own military, who still don’t know him,” one senior administration official said Friday. He added, “We’re worried about what he’s going to do next, but we’re not worried about what he seems to be threatening to do next.”…

“We’re all trying to put him on the couch,” said Jonathan D. Pollack, a North Korea expert at the Brookings Institution. “A year ago the U.S. and the Chinese saw at least the possibility that you could do business with him. But he has steadily reverted to form,” adopting the approach of his father and grandfather in using the perception of an external threat to solidify support at home.

***

So why worry? Two reasons. First, North Korea has a penchant for testing new South Korean presidents. A new one was just inaugurated in February, and since 1992, the North has welcomed these five new leaders by disturbing the peace. Whether in the form of missile launches, submarine incursions, or naval clashes, these North Korean provocations were met by each newly elected South Korean president with patience rather than pique.

The difference today is that South Korea is no longer turning the other cheek. After the North blew up the South Korean navy ship the Cheonan, killing 46 sailors in 2010, Seoul re-wrote the rules of military engagement. It has lost patience and will respond kinetically to any provocation, which could escalate into a larger conflict. Second, North Korea crossed a major technology threshold in December, when it successfully launched a satellite into orbit. Though the satellite later malfunctioned, the North managed to put the payload into orbit with ballistic missile launch technology that is clearly designed to reach the United States…

But there’s another point that is often overlooked: North Korea today can threaten all of South Korea and parts of Japan with its conventional missiles and its conventional military. The North can fire 500,000 rounds of artillery on Seoul in the first hour of a conflict. Stability has held for 60 years because the U.S. security alliances with South Korea and Japan make it clear to the North Korean leadership that if they attacked South Korea or Japan, they would lose both the war and their country. And, for half a century, neither side believed that the benefits of starting a major war outweighed the costs. The worry is that the new North Korean leader might not hold to the same logic, given his youth and inexperience.

***

[O]n the streets of Seoul on Saturday, South Koreans said they were not worried about an attack from North Korea.

“From other countries’ point of view, it may seem like an extremely urgent situation,” said Kang Tae-hwan, a private tutor. “But South Koreans don’t seem to be that nervous because we’ve heard these threats from the North before.”

The Kaesong industrial park, which is run with North Korean labor and South Korean know-how, has been operating normally, despite Pyongyang shutting down a communications channel typically used to coordinate travel by South Korean workers to and from the park just across the border in North Korea. The rivals are now coordinating the travel indirectly, through an office at Kaesong that has outside lines to South Korea.

***

Many in the South have regarded the North’s willingness to keep open the Kaesong industrial zone, located just a few miles (km) north of the border, as a sign that Pyongyang will not risk losing a lucrative source of foreign currency by mounting a real act of aggression.

The Kaesong zone is a vital source of hard currency for the impoverished state and hundreds of South Korean workers and vehicles enter daily after crossing the armed border.

“If the puppet traitor group continues to mention the Kaesong industrial zone is being kept operating and damages our dignity, it will be mercilessly shut off and shut down,” KCNA quoted an agency that operates Kaesong as saying in a statement.

The threat to shut it down could sharply escalate tensions because it would suspend a symbolic joint project run by the rivals.

***

A senior North Korean official has assured Chinese tour operators that there will be no war on the Korean Peninsula. The assurance came at a time when the North is ratcheting up its belligerent rhetoric.

Visiting Xian in Shaanxi Province in mid-March, Kim To-jun of the North’s General Bureau of Tourism, told Chinese tour operators, “Don’t worry. There’ll be no war on the Korean Peninsula, so send as many tourists as possible.”…

A source speculated, “It seems that the North is trying to make money by assuring Chinese people that there is no danger of war, while the threats against South Korea are mostly for domestic political purposes.”

***

Park may want peace, but if the North provokes again she would look intolerably weak if she did not authorise some sort of counter-strike.

The problem, of course, would be to keep that limited. One idea mooted would be to hit statues of the late leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il, or their mausoleum. The symbolism would be potent. Even this might prompt the North to strike back.

More menacingly, Southern sources have told local media that their cruise missiles could fly in through a Pyongyang window and take out – well, anybody, know what I mean? That has put the wind up Kim Jong-un, and would be extremely high risk.

Almost 20 years ago the risks were quantified. In 1994, Bill Clinton seriously considered a strike on North Korea’s nuclear site at Yongbyon. The joint chiefs of staff estimated that a new war in Korea would kill at least 1 million people, including up to 100,000 Americans. Immediate costs to the US would be $100bn, while business disruption in the region would cost more than $1tn. Those financial figures would be multiples higher now.

***

The rhetoric itself has not escalated significantly over last year. And it’s been almost 20 years since North Korea first talked of turning Seoul into a sea of fire. I get the feeling that North Korea’s long-range missile launch and the nuclear test have both lent a new force to the old rhetoric…

One of the few things that has restrained the North Koreans over the decades has been Pyongyang’s reluctance to alienate the South Korean left. I wonder now if, after two successive elections of the more hardline presidential candidate (the current president having been elected with an absolute majority of votes), the North may have given up on South Korean public opinion altogether.

The rapid aging of the South Korean electorate certainly does not bode well for the prospect of another “Sunshine Policy” in the near future. This may be one reason why the propaganda apparatus denigrated President Park as a “skirt” — a clear indication, by the way, that we are not dealing with a far-left regime up there but a far-right one. And I notice from the TV broadcasts that many of the people in the man-on-the-street interviews talk of how they would love to give the “sea of fire” treatment to Seoul and Washington almost as if they were the same enemy territory. If the regime has given up on winning over the South Korean electorate, things could get much more dangerous than they already are.

***

And there is, of course, no easy solution. The United States and its allies are not going to initiate a war to eliminate these programs. But no evidence suggests that coercion leads North Korea to modify its behavior, and even stepped-up Chinese support for sanctions is unlikely to force positive changes in Pyongyang. Moreover, despite continuing speculation, there are few signs that the regime is headed toward collapse.

All this leaves the one approach that the Obama administration has adamantly resisted: engagement at the highest levels. It’s been reported that the White House secretly sent envoys to Pyongyang last year. But dialogue with mid-level diplomats contains a built-in obstacle to success, because in the North Korean system the top leader makes all the key decisions.

President Obama declared in his second inaugural address, “We will show the courage to try and resolve our differences with other nations peacefully — not because we are naive about the dangers we face but because engagement can more durably lift suspicion and fear.” Before things get even worse, it is time to try that approach with North Korea, by appointing a high-level envoy with the stature and credibility to ensure that he or she would be able to meet with Kim Jong Un to explore possibilities of reversing the recent downward spiral.

***

A South Korean executive who employs 1,400 North Korean workers told the AP, a day after returning from the Kaesong plant for a visit, “Tension rises almost every year when it’s time for the U.S.-South Korean drills to take place, but as soon as those drills end, things quickly return to normal.” He added, “I think and hope that this time won’t be different.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Thank you very much. It’s probably very apparent that I have never been into knights and dragons and videogames/books, etc. I love & know my English history backwards and forwards, but the whole King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table, swords, daggers, and chivalry stuff is not my forte. I’ve never played Dungeons & Dragons or watched Game of Thrones or whatever the name is.

So, thank you very much for deciphering it for me.

Resist We Much on March 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM

. . . not going to set any records, but that’s besides the point.

SWALKER is the guy that says “Hey! Let’s go fight the Boss!” — and you say “OK!” and then you teleport to the boss and his character isn’t there, and you get on the team-chat and say “Hey man, what happened? Something go wrong?” — and he says “LOL” — and then you get eaten.

And he LOL’s you all day after that.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Yes. Even when he’s dealing damage, its considered and measured.

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Not sure which is trickier, changing white flesh to black or black flesh to white. ; )

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:10 AM

RWM The Reggie version is done I think it you would rather have it.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM

LOL!:)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:12 AM

But he’s also like a Paladin.

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Haven’t seen Everquest in so long. :) They do Paladin well. Probably the first to do Paladin well.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Around friends I let my guard down. Should I not anymore? Cause I can be a real hard wired ass hole if you prefer.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM

*sigh*

Verbs.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I do. I think you got it.I checked against some photos, and giving for varying light situations… I think that’s it. Well done. :)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Don’t get mad Bmore. If that’s for me, it was just the way the words came out I thought was funny. I’d have laughed at them if I said them.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM

I’ve been sampling through some of those games my friend sent me, when I have an odd moment to spare. Sometimes they become very odd. lol! He’s still nudging.

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I enlarged Reggies egg like head 2 % also.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I’m not mad. I was concentrating on getting those pesky skin tones just so. Plus he needed a bigger head.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Okay, I swapped it out at FN. They really don’t seem to like me much over there. I don’t care. I get lots of views. Screw it.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood – The Animals

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM

not the best day to be Axe. you tell the girl . . . +then

best behavior best behavior best behavior

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM

It’s interesting how two different venues that are essentially presenting similar material can have such differing reactions to a piece. Good point.

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM

The problem — and only if you are being pretty severe with yourself would it even be a problem — is his forehead has more sweat on it than his pecs; so the gloss+dark isn’t perfect with the matte-powerdered+light.

Its so close it isn’t a thing, though. IMO, etc.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:27 AM

It seems that BMore is like one of those artist that sketch out something really fast seemingly without effort when for other people it’s difficult and slow.

Jackie does that with words. She can spin out a big paragraph in seconds.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM

:) Sometimes it’s striking to me how miraculous it is that each day is followed by another… different day. :)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

*room cheeto*

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Since my posts are deep they take longer and I work up a real sweat to make the Grammar sound good. Each word is carefully chosen to fit between the other words that aren’t carefully chosen.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Jackie does that with words. She can spin out a big paragraph in seconds.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

You do that with the twilight between words and the concepts words embody.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:31 AM

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

:) I’ve seen some of your posts, too. You’re not fooling me, Spark. Recognizing a writing style is my business. :)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Case in point. :)

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM

They seem to really prefer folks that do characitures. How should that be spelled?

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Caricatures. :)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:34 AM

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Clipping paths are the real killer. I don’t enjoy clipping paths. There are 126 items, i.e. layers in that Supremely Gay piece. Each, except two have to be clipped. Accurately.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Caricatures. :)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Lol! I always want to add an extra syllable to that word for some reason. Thank you. ; )

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Welcome.:)

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:43 AM

take the money and run

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:44 AM

. . . best behavior requires quiet-creasing.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Why get tied up in gravity…when we can fly?

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Wow, I just noticed the time. Yack!

Good Night All.

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Sparky Kafka tries to write Franz Frags.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Blinded by the Light

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Somehow, I could picture Chris Christie being more graceful doing ballet.

Liam on March 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM

It’s late and I’ll never catch up on my reading so if this has already been posted…….
enjoy it again :-)

timmytee on March 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM

thatsafactjack on March 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Night, Jackie!

Bmore on March 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Night, Bmore!

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Yack is a Schadenfreude word not a BMore word. Right?

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:49 AM

timmytee on March 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Wow. That’s perfect. :)

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Yack is a Schadenfreude word not a BMore word. Right?

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:49 AM

I thought it was a Shad word . . .

– is this another joke I didn’t get in public in front of everyone wearing no pants but a really colorful hat because it’s cold and I wanted to make a statement about the stagnation of hat fashion?

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:54 AM

^c

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Hehe. Funny. I’ll let RWM answer this one. Perhaps she will be merciful and spare your dignity somewhat perchance-like.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:58 AM

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 3:58 AM

It’s possible a guy can raise more Hell than he thought he was raising whilst he was raising it. :) — But you think that eyeball in there is pretty creepy, too, right? Tell the truth — suck up not

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:01 AM

*kiss not the britsh american buttucks — speak sad brow and true, maid.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:02 AM

In The End

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Kryptonite

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Firestarter

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Yes. Eyeball is creepy. I’m easily creeped out by guts and body parts.
Lady parts are fine though. Mighty fine.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Yes. Eyeball is creepy. I’m easily creeped out by guts and body parts.
Lady parts are fine though. Mighty fine.

SparkPlug on March 31, 2013 at 4:22 AM

*uptwinkles*

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Down Under

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 4:24 AM

The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life

. . . Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

. . . You are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed–or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.

. . . Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

. . . Whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?

. . . When you pray, say: ‘Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.’

. . . Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

. . . For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

. . . Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Oops…!

Clinton Gave China Chips for Nuclear War

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM

. . . Some of them said, “By Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he is driving out demons.” Others tested him by asking for a sign from heaven.

. . . Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall. If Satan is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? I say this because you claim that I drive out demons by Beelzebul. Now if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your followers drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

. . . This is a wicked generation. It asks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.

. . . You Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

. . . Be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

. . . You give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

. . . You love the most important seats in the synagogues and respectful greetings in the marketplaces.

. . . You are like unmarked graves, which people walk over without knowing it.

. . . You build tombs for the prophets, and it was your ancestors who killed them.

. . . You experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

. . . You have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering.

. . . The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began to oppose him fiercely and to besiege him with questions, waiting to catch him in something he might say.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM

. . . Do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.

. . . The very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid . . .

. . . Whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God.

. . . When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.

. . . I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

. . . Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?

. . . “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.”

. . . Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.

. . . The tax collectors and the sinners were coming near him to listen to him. Both the Pharisees and the scribes began to grumble, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

. . . Tell us by what authority you are doing these things, or who is the one who gave you this authority?

. . . Satan entered into Judas who was called Iscariot, belonging to the number of the twelve. And he went away and discussed with the chief priests and officers how he might betray him to them. They were glad and agreed to give him money.

. . . Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.

. . . Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?

. . . While I was with you daily in the temple, you did not lay hands on me; but this hour and the power of darkness are yours.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 5:30 AM

. . . They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

***

. . . The women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead?”

***

— I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Oops…!

Clinton Gave China Chips for Nuclear War

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Bump. :)

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 5:32 AM

@Spark

Keep Jackie & Resist’s six? Also keep an eye out for listens2glenn, if you could?

See you in a couple weeks, +/- opportunistic check-in.

Happy Easter, AP!

*mega-poof*

Axe on March 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Can’t wait for DarkCurrent to show up and defend this crap and China too.

Schadenfreude on March 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I really don’t have any use for all this rent-free space in your head S ;)

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Hey, are you still around? I have a question.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hey, are you still around? I have a question.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hi Cindy. What may I do for you?

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My next door neighbors are Chinese, a son and his aged mother. It took her ten years to smile and wave. Is there anything I can do to make her welcome, given a total language blackout on both our sides? I helped her move some dirt the other day and she gave me eggs. Will she always reciprocate or can I just do something neighborly?

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

If there’s a total language blackout obviously that makes things difficult. Generally you can always expect reciprocity though.

I guess just be your usual friendly, polite self, but keep in mind that most Chinese will generally tend be less open than Americans with people they don’t know well.

How do you get along with the son?

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM

He is a restaurant owner so you know he’s busier than a one armed wall paper hanger. Bless his heart he has mowed his lawn with the headlights on. Our puppies keep running in their yard and I assured him that fence is on its way. He said she likes the dogs but it’s not their culture to have pets. I understand. Apparently she has made some neighborhood kids angry because she doesn’t like them going through her yard to fish at the retention pond, they have other options, they’ll have to get over it. I just feel bad, I know she is so isolated.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

A lot of Chinese have pets. Maybe what he meant but didn’t want to say is “it’s not our culture to have our neighbor’s pets running around our house”. Same goes for the kids ;)

The isolation thing is a real problem for older people from China living outside of core areas of big cities in America, since many of them don’t drive. That was a problem for my wife for the first year she was living in suburban America 20 years ago. She was young enough to learn English and get a driver’s license though, so wasn’t a problem for too long.

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Btw, do you know where in China they’re from?

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I think she expected him to marry and have children but that didn’t work out. Or it hasn’t so far. Oh well, I’ll do what I can. Fence should happen no later than a week from tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I don’t. If I get the chance to ask him, I will.

Cindy Munford on March 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Btw, do you know where in China they’re from?

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Dark – love your pictures of China – and Shanghai and The Bund……places I have spent some time at.

williamg on March 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM

williamg on March 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Thanks! I live just a bit upstream and across the river from the Bund, so it’s a frequent subject.

DarkCurrent on March 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

North Korea wins the world prize for the goofiest military headgear!!!

landlines on April 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM