Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on March 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

President Obama is quietly moving forward on gun control.

The president has used his executive powers to bolster the national background check system, jumpstart government research on the causes of gun violence and create a million-dollar ad campaign aimed at safe gun ownership.

The executive steps will give federal law enforcement officials access to more data about guns and their owners, help keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, and lay the groundwork for future legislative efforts.

It is unclear whether the National Rifle Association (NRA) will challenge any of the executive actions in court. A spokesman for the NRA did not return a request for comment.

***

“We got nine tenths of the way [on background checks] with Coburn,” says one senior Democratic Senate staffer. But the Oklahoma Republican argued that conservatives simply wouldn’t support a bill that expanded record keeping, even one that merely extended the existing system for commercial sales to private sales. Schumer said gun control groups felt strongly that expanded background checks without record keeping would be meaningless. The two sides amicably agreed to test the support for those positions on both sides…

There are three possible outcomes to the test of wills. Bloomberg and his allies could successfully pressure Republicans to back down on paper records, likely giving Obama a win on two of the four measures he sought in the wake of Newtown (a bill increasing the penalties for gun trafficking bill is likely to pass, while an assault weapons ban and an expensive bill boosting school safety programs are expected to fail). Alternatively, if the Bloomberg effort fails to pressure conservatives to accept paper records for private sales, gun control advocates will have to decide whether to accept expanded background checks without paper records, or scrap them entirely.

The last outcome would be a failure all around, given the broad support for universal background checks, and the evidence that they could do something to diminish gun deaths. Bloomberg’s group has compiled records claiming that last year 6.6 million guns were sold privately without a background check. And a Bloomberg News article cites “a 2004 Bureau of Justice Statistics survey of inmates convicted of gun crimes found that 80 percent acquired the weapons through a private transfer.”

***

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy said that after the next mass shooting incident, members of Congress will be forced to explain why they did not act.

“People in the Congress of the United States don’t want to do this,” Malloy said. “And I think they’ll get some things done on trafficking, school safety perhaps, some of the background checks loopholes — but not all of them. Each time that that happens, we’ll continue to have this debate.”…

“Thirty-three Americans are going to continue to be murdered with guns each day and every day until Congress acts, and they are going to be hearing about it much more than they were six months ago,” Glaze said. “Reality No. 2 is that there will be another mass shooting, and when there is, people who refuse to do the easy things are going to have a lot of explaining to do.”

***

“But the actual legislation under review is minimal and meaningless!” It’s true: background checks and a bit more enforcement of laws on straw purchases is hardly enough—but (once again) they need to be supported not just as symbols but also because we have learned that any impediment to violence, however low, is better than none at all, and small ones can be surprisingly potent. All kinds of laws help reduce gun violence. As Richard Florida wrote, in a study published in the Atlantic, “Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).” In other words, the mechanism of massacre is simple availability. Any obstacle might spare the life of a six-year-old…

If American had gun laws like those in Canada, England, or Australia, it would have a level of gun violence more like that of Canada, England, or Australia. That’s as certain a prediction as any that the social sciences can provide. To believe that gun control can’t work here is to believe that the psyches of Americans are different from those of everyone else on earth. That’s a form of American exceptionalism—the belief that Americans are uniquely evil and incorrigibly violent, and that nothing to be done about it—that doesn’t seem to be the one that is usually endorsed.

Keep the laws as they are, and the shootings, very often of children and high-school and college students, will go on. The President put it well on Thursday: “It won’t solve every problem. There will still be gun deaths. There will still be tragedies. There will still be violence. There will still be evil. But we can make a difference if not just the activists here on this stage but the general public—including responsible gun owners—say, You know what, we can do better than this. We can do better to make sure that fewer parents have to endure the pain of losing a child to an act of violence.” That’s what the correlations show, and they show it beyond a reasonable doubt. Change the laws and more will live; keep them, and more children die. That’s not an emotional statement; it’s merely a descriptive one. It’s not a complaint—or really, any longer, a cry of pain. It’s not even a commentary. It’s just a certainty.

***

The districts that contain Chicago, Los Angeles and New York City ranked last in terms of federal gun law enforcement in 2012, according to a new report from Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse, which tracks federal data.

Federal gun crimes include illegal possession of a firearm in a school zone, illegal sale of a firearm to a juvenile, felon, or drug addict, and illegal transport of a firearm across state lines. In Chicago, the majority of gun charges last year were for firearms violations.

The districts of Eastern New York, Central California, and Northern Illinois ranked 88th, 89th and 90th, respectively, out of 90 districts, in prosecutions of federal weapons crimes per capita last year, but it wasn’t always this way. All three districts fell lower on the list than they had been in years past.

***

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) responded to President Barack Obama’s latest call for action on gun control Thursday, launching criticism at the White House and promising to do everything in his power to stop the administration’s push for stricter legislation.

“It is saddening to see the president today, once again, try to take advantage of this tragic murder to promote an agenda that will do nothing to stop violent crime, but will undermine the constitutional rights of all law-abiding Americans,” Cruz said in a statement. “I am committed to working with Sens. Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Marco Rubio, and Jim Inhofe — and I hope many other colleagues — to use any procedural means necessary to protect those fundamental rights.”…

“In any conversation about how to prevent future tragedies such as Sandy Hook, our focus should be on stopping criminals from obtaining guns,” Cruz said. “Unfortunately, the Obama Administration has failed to make this a priority — in 2010, out of more than 15,700 fugitives and felons who tried to illegally purchase a firearm, the Obama Justice Department prosecuted only 44. That is unacceptable.”

***

The protective order didn’t help Deborah Wigg; the police couldn’t help; her neighbors and parents couldn’t help. Only if she’d had a gun and knew how to use it — after carefully disregarding everything Joe Biden has said on the subject — might she have been able to save her own life.

Numerous studies, including one by the National Institute of Justice, show that crime victims who resist a criminal with a gun are less likely to be injured than those who do not resist at all or who resist without a gun. That’s true even when the assailant is armed.

Liberals’ advice to rape and domestic abuse victims is: Lie back and enjoy it. The Times’ advice is: Get a protective order. The NRA’s advice is: Blow the dirtbag’s head off. Or, for the delicate: Resist with a gun, the only effective means to stop an attack.

Apparently a lot of abused women prefer not to lie back and take it. Looking at data from Detroit, Houston and Miami, Margo Wilson and Martin Daly found that the vast majority of wives who killed their husbands were not even indicted, much less convicted, because it was found they were acting in self-defense.

***

It goes without saying that any loss of life from criminal use of guns is tragic. Morgan believes that magazines which hold 30 rounds should be banned. Adam Lanza had several and reportedly reloaded four times. He stopped his spree when other guys with equal magazine capacities arrived on the scene. The takeaway: he reloaded. It takes seconds to reload. It takes seconds to reload a handgun — the atrocity at Virginia Tech was committed with illegally used handguns. Morgan says high capacity magazines should be banned to prevent massive loss of life. Obviously 26 lives lost is heinous, but are ten lives lost OK? Ten rounds was the limit under the ban enacted in 1994 (after which Colombine occurred). Some governors say now only seven rounds are acceptable. So are seven lives lost acceptable to Piers? By falsely tying saving lives to the number of rounds allowed in a magazine Morgan inadvertently answered that he would prefer zero rounds in the chamber, using his logic and the standard of measurement he himself established. Excuse the irony that more lives were saved when good guys with equal rounds showed up at the scene — but note that this was omitted.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Interesting that you should ask. Yes. I file some of it away to look at again later with fresh eyes.

I never throw away anything that is in the line of work. Even if it’s just a word I found compelling, or a phrase that struck me in some way, or something that occurred to me in the course of a conversation. I have pages set aside for compiling these items.

I keep anything of emotional import to me. Things that I can resource when I’m at a low ebb that might make me smile, or remind me that I connected with someone for a moment.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Hmm . . . well, this might take a little longer, then. :)

Maybe I just grab a WordPerfect file and do some pasting . . .

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

You know oddly enough, I didn’t even take note of the price. I looked to see if I had the receipt. Have no idea where that is either. Lol! Getting old. ; )

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

OT, I got some good oranges for a change at the market today. ; )

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Last time I checked the prices for them were higher than a cat’s back..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

That’s what I do.:)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM

“I never knew your mother had feathers.”

BWAHAHA :)

*paste*

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Getting old. ; )

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Yeah..Aren’t we all..:(

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM

You’ve got to see that film. Seriously. It’s one of my favorites.

“It’s a Gift” (1934)

I’ve seen it many, many times, and I laugh every single time.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Just so long as you remembered to actually eat some of the oranges… today…you’re alright. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Everything is getting more expensive..:(

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Ramblin’ On My Mind – Clapton

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:58 AM

They were so good I had 3. ; ) And two banana’s

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:01 AM

. . . yes ma’am. :)

Wow. I haven’t been crystal cleared in a long, long time. :)

Er . . . *repoof*

Axe on March 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM

lol . . . saving that one.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:01 AM

That does it! Now I want fresh fruit salad. I love fresh fruit salad. I’m going to have to go shopping today. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM

:) LOL!

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I went back in the archives recently and watched “Romancing the Stone”..Great for laughs..:)

PS..And did I mention Kathleen Turner!!!..Awesome on the eyes..:):)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Yep, I don’t know how younger family’s are going to do it. Its gonna be tough. Unfortunately I feel like it may be just started the down slide of quality of life for many. Soon the pain will be evident in their eyes when you watch them at the market. I saw a little of just that today.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Gonna big some tough lessons. Maybe they will stick with a few.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM

big=be, getting sleepy. Lol!

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I saw a little of just that today.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

You are right..Sad thing is weu are going to see alot more “pain”..:(

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:06 AM

That took a while. :) There was even a poem by Scrumpy bookmarked.

I wish Rusty — I know, I just said this, but the context was different — I wish Rusty would put those in one place. There’s one I wanted to read again, but it’s buried.

*cracks knuckles*

Clear. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Yes, she was…”Body Heat”.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I shall start with pizza.

PS..And did I mention Kathleen Turner!!!..Awesome on the eyes..:):)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Good grief man, you maintain Archives? :)

Hey, I want Archives.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

And you feel better already. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Yes, she was…”Body Heat”.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Another good one..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Body Heat Theme – John Barry

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM

LoLz..:)

PS..Remember the Columbia Record club..10 for a penny..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:17 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Kathleen Turner awesome aside..That was really a great movie..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Made me laugh! :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

And you feel better already. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM

I really do. :)

PS..Remember the Columbia Record club..10 for a penny..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I’ve got about a dozen movies, and one of them is The Man with Two Brains. — lol, tells you everything right there. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Yes. It actually had a plot.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Nosferatu (1922) . . . Despicable Me . . . LOTR . . . Terminator

OWL B BACH

The entire Making Fiends collection by Amy Winfrey . . .

. . . Captain Ron of course . . .

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM

If you throw a few Smokehouse Almonds in your salad, they taste a lot like bacon. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM

. . . Captain Ron of course . . .

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Two thumbs up!!..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:27 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Are you eating a salad? . . . or just making plans? :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Made me laugh! :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Ahh..The memoriesThose were the days..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I like buntings, normally.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM

You have a start. A broad spectrum, too. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I’m eating a salad. I’m going to have to go shopping tomorrow for more fresh produce. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

LOL!

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I like buntings, normally.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

What’s a buntings?

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Ahh..The memoriesThose were the days..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Cause if he puts on one shoe and one sock, he’ll die in a fire. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM

That’s right! LOL!

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Cause if he puts on one shoe and one sock, he’ll die in a fire. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM

rofl..Awesome memory my friend..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM

What’s a buntings?

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Ate my link. These things.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM

rofl..Awesome memory my friend..:)

Dire Straits on March 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM

That’s right! LOL!

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:42 AM

I actually found it. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Ate my link. These things.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Oh! Cool! Buntings! Of course!

INPUT INPUT

(Only slower)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM

It’s threads like this that remind me of pistol shrimp. How funny that you guys feel the same way.

SparkPlug on March 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Dire is right everything is getting more expensive.

SparkPlug on March 30, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Well, Its very late. I’ll finish it up tomorrow. Still 30 hours till its due. ; )

Good Night All.

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:55 AM

SparkPlug on March 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM

And rock lobster oven mitts. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Bmore on March 30, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Goodnight, Bmore. Excellent work. Sleep well. See you soon. :)

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Why Worry – Dire Straits

Alas, I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I’m off to console myself. I’m not sure why I’m sad. Saddish. Not even that really . . . it might just be the let-down after the high.

Wait, when was I high?

O yeah, I’m bummed about current events.

Meh. Screw those.

No movies on TV tonight, and unlike Dire with an Archive — :) Anyway, maybe I’ll go write or read or peck around or roll someone who stayed out too late and use their money to buy some cigarettes and beer and smoke and drink on the lam until they run out and the Man’s hammer crushes me like a worthless bug after burning me out of my mountain shack and mowing me down as I lunge howling for the river.

Not sure. I can try the TV guide again.

Happy Easter, Everyone!

. . . cannot poof this near Easter . . .

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Night, Jackie. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Happy Easter, Sharrukin!

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 4:57 AM

SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED

TX-96 on March 30, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Anybody still here?

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Gun control? I have a perfectly good aim at the range, two hands on the pistol save for free-hand target pistol practice…

Really why is the 2nd Amendment so hard to read for some individuals? It plainly abides by what is in the rest of the Constitution.

ajacksonian on March 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Anybody still here?

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM

-> :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Anybody still here?

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM

-> :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Damn harddreive on my computer died, threw in my back-up, installed Ubantu and am downloading the newest Ubantu to upgrade.

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM

OT/

@SWalker — Your 6502 reply to me was brilliant, by the way. It’s the kind of crap I try to do that no one ever gets. You told me it was rotten; made a core joke; made a worm joke; sent me an assembled clock to snark on my time joke — everything about it, brilliant. And right over my head. :) The reason is because I pulled the 6502 into my life from some place other than Apple. I was poking around with it before I’d ever seen anything Apple. There wasn’t any association there with that or even anything 68+ or anything else.

Basically, I stared at it all like a fat chick handed a jump rope.

I didn’t get any of it till you explained it. My bad. :)

/pointless

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Well as long as your computer is already messing with your day…how is your life going? Any general updates?

indypat on March 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Ah. I know those nights. Sorry man. :) They can be really inconvenient. You always run Linux, or is this get-by?

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

OT/

Basically, I stared at it all like a fat chick handed a jump rope.

I didn’t get any of it till you explained it. My bad. :)

/pointless

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Sorry, I made the mistake of assuming that you knew it was the Apple II CPU… My bad… ;P

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Mostly a get by, bought a computer with Win 7 installed factory OEM crap, and no CD to reinstall. Have used Linux on and off for about 10 or 15 years. No expert at it by any means.

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM

OK, back in a little bit, time to upgrade

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Now, see, did I say I didn’t know something? No. This is why a guy doesn’t come clean, this right here. I was trying to give you your props, even after you pulled a Zaphod with Resist last night, and what this I get for it? Abuse.

. . . and I’m taking my microphone.

. . . and my scarf. This is my scarf.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Yeah. I see. It is one of those nights for you. :)

Really am sorry.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM

ubantu=Ubuntu?

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Universal background checks will completely stop this nonsense. Once gang members selling guns to one another are provided this new law, it will be impossible for them to transfer guns.

Ha! Take that, West Side!

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM

ubantu=Ubuntu?

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

lol — shhh. Don’t kick him. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Phrases as nice as they are such as “..from my cold dead hands,” and “gun control is a tight group,” all seem so innocent and naive these days. Where I live, all guns have to be registered to someone with a photo-ID gun license. And CCPs are only for those who can demonstrate an imminent threat somehow.

The attack on 2nd Ammendment rights is no longer about consensus, and it is being fought not just in legislatures but in the media, and has every likelihood of progressing to full-out confiscation and a form of martial law.

DHS has now, what, 2 billion rounds on order, and private ammo purchases are on back-order. I know that if one has a few rounds one can at least protect himself from an occasional intruder. But when SWAT teams in full armor go door to door, as I expect will happen here, with out-of-state DHS agents calling the shots and directing local law enforcement (who have no choice other than enthusiastic obedience or firing), I can’t imagine people putting themselves and their families at risk just to keep guns in the face of the overwhelming fire power of a determined federal confiscation.

Is there any body out there who really thinks anyone will have a reasonable chance of keeping his guns when the national constabulary comes to his door?

flicker on March 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

ubantu=Ubuntu?

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Meh, it’s Linus for dummies, that would be me… ;)

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Happy Saturday, HA!
O/T – “Endowed By Their Creator” My take.

kingsjester on March 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

ubantu=Ubuntu?

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

lol — shhh. Don’t kick him. :)

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Been stuck with Windows because my Steinberg Midi software is Windows based.

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Been stuck with Windows because my Steinberg Midi software is Windows based.

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I prefer to work under Windows. My servers are running a slightly modified Slack, though. Much easier to lock down.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Linus=Linux?

j/k. run your software virtually in Ubuntu. its pretty easy.

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Linus=Linux?

j/k. run your software virtually in Ubuntu. its pretty easy.

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM

This is my first time running Ubantu, and I can barely get around in Fedora or Mandrake, I would be pretty easy if I knew how.

SWalker on March 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I was kind of just kidding about that. why unnecessarily add complexity? lol

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

kingsjester on March 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Good morning, KJ. In the midst of all the distractions, you’ve given a profound reminder.

indypat on March 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Every single gun Ms. Lanza owned were purchased legally. She instructed her son properly at a range. He tried to purchase his own gun and was turned down because he was too young according to the law. What went wrong? He was nuts. She should have found a safer hobby for the kid, like flying kites or something. Dear leader’s EOs will do squat to stop guns owned legally or illegally to stop what happened at SH. Protect the kids were they are kept cooped up all day and try to identify the mentally ill so they can be helped.

Kissmygrits on March 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Kissmygrits lanza was not turned down from purchasing a firearm. he was told he would have to wait, which he elected to do. Of course, in the meantime he cowardly gunned down a bunch of kids.

tom daschle concerned on March 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Its a shame we link to anything associated with Piers Morgan. The idea that CNN can make money when I watch a clip of Morgan’s show makes me sick.

Dr Snooze on March 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Dana kicked total ass, as usual.

Metro on March 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Basically, I stared at it all like a fat chick handed a jump rope.

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I love that.

Cindy Munford on March 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

You guys just throw this stuff away? Ever keep anything? Water under the bridge, move on? There’s memories here. :) Anyone worked out anything on keeping this and that?

Axe on March 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM

thatsafactjack on March 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I’ve been a pack rat from way back; inherited it from my mom, a Depression-era kid. :) For computer files I find interesting, I use two sites regularly: Delicious.com and Evernote.com, Delicious for the bookmarks and Evernote is for articles, comments, text passages, photos, .pdfs that I want to keep. Both are free and Evernote has a web, computer app and mobile app that updates when you log on. Delicious is something I’ve been using since 2005 – you can import your existing bookmarks and it too has a mobile app. Delicious recently changed their site design, to its detriment, I think, but you can also go back to their old design at previous.delicious.com. Lots of articles have the Delicious icon at the bottom of their pages and you can put one in your browser as an add-on.

The physical stuff is a bit trickier. I’m a graphic designer and it’s supremely easy to accumulate all kinds of visual stuff — books, references, ephemera, 37 tearsheets of a particular project I worked on, etc. — and I have to keep on top of it, lest I want my house to look like something out of “Hoarders.” A lot of my stuff I have burned to CDs but I have plenty of the physical stuff, too. And some physical stuff I keep for sentimental purposes and I try to preserve that with archival storage.

PatriotGal2257 on March 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

As for the idea that if we had Canadian, or British, gun laws, we’d have less “gun crime”, that sort of crime has exploded in the UK since the Blair crowd effectively abolished private gun ownership.
eon on March 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The gun ban in the U.K was introduced following Dunblane, when 16 5-6yr old were killed in a school in 1996
There has been no more school shootings and only one mass killing of 12 people since
Firearm offences were recorded by the police in the year to September 2011, accounting for 0.2% of all recorded crime. There was a 19% fall in firearm offences in the year to September 2011, compared to the previous year.

There were 7,024 offences in England and Wales in which firearms, were reportedly used, a 13% decrease on the previous year, continuing the general decline since 2005/06.

Handguns were used in offences during 2010/11, was a fall of 17 per cent on 2009/10,
continuing the general downward trend seen since 2001/02