Video: “The Wolverine” trailer

posted at 6:41 pm on March 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, here’s how ignorant I am about superhero movies: I thought this was the third or fourth installment in the “Wolverine” series. I knew of the character, I knew Jackman had played him multiple times — it was a logical assumption. But why would they call the third or fourth movie “The Wolverine”? Why not “Wolverine IV” or “The Wolverine Rises” or something? Were they doing a back-to-basics thing, like the Beatles waiting until their tenth album to call it “The Beatles”? Nope. Turns out the last 800 movies he was in were all part of the X-Men series. This is his first solo gig. The more you know.

As a superhero novice, I watch these trailers purely out of curiosity to see how different each looks from every other superhero trailer. This one’s set in Japan, so there you go.

Comments

Um, we already had xmen origins wolverine.

Rusty Allen on March 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Actually it’s the second solo movie for Jackman as the wolverine. Get your facts straight.

bgibbs1000 on March 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The Wolverine…

The last movie only the first 5 minutes were interesting. Then they made the coolest character that could have done more in the movie, Ryan Reyonlds, unable to speak. He was most boring character in the movie.

Oil Can on March 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hey, why Jean Valjean does have that weird beard?

/AP

0_o

Lance Murdock on March 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Also there just isn’t enough super hero movies in the theaters this year…/s

Oil Can on March 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Here’s the timeline:

X-Men: First Class (2011)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

X-Men (2000)

X-Men 2: X-Men United (2003)

X-Men 3: The Last Stand (2006)

The Wolverine (2013)

lester on March 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

The last Wolverine movie was a total dud, but the leaked pre-CGI version was interesting.

Dead Hand Control on March 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Meh. I liked X2 all right, though.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I love super heroes in Japan. The bad ninjas are so polite and always line up and wait patiently for their turn at action one at a time.

BL@KBIRD on March 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Either they’re trying to emulate the Rambo series(the 4th movie was simply titled “Rambo”) which I doubt or more than likely they’re trying to avoid confusing people and just want them to know going in that this is merely a standalone Wolverine story.

The X-Men franchise is so convoluted now with sequels, prequels, and Days of Future Past which combines the two casts and returns Bryan Singer to the director’s chair. So I assume that movie will be both a prequel and a sequel to X-Men III, a sequel to X-Men: First Class, and possibly a sequel to The Wolverine. If Singer can pull that off, he’s a freaking genius.

Doughboy on March 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Of course, if Jim Carrey’s not in it, I’m there! I’ll be skipping his superhero movie.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

And what the hell does this thread have to do with same sex marriage, anyway!

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

It looks……..boring.

dddave on March 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Let me guess AP’s analysis without looking.

There is no depth in the character.
The character isn’t happy enough.
The story is not enough like real life.
The character is tortured over nothing insignificant.
That’s not how AP would do it.
How is this going to affect the US – China relations.

/s

Hog Wild on March 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Wow, the movie has already leaked onto Youtube! It looks better than I thought it would.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Not even close…

How is it going to affect US-Japan relations even though Wolverine is Canadian….

Hog Wild on March 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I saw the Wolverine picture on Hot Air and I expected the headline:

Wolverine endorses Same Sex Marriage.

portlandon on March 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

. . . . . . here’s how ignorant I am about superhero movies: I thought this was the third or fourth installment in the “Wolverine” series. I knew of the character, I knew Jackman had played him multiple times — it was a logical assumption. But why would they call the third or fourth movie “The Wolverine”? Why not “Wolverine IV” or “The Wolverine Rises” or something? Were they doing a back-to-basics thing, like the Beatles waiting until their tenth album to call it “The Beatles”? Nope. Turns out the last 800 movies he was in were all part of the X-Men series. This is his first solo gig. The more you know.

excerpt: Allahpundit

I thought you were one of the biggest “geeks” on this kinda’ stuff, Allah’.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I saw the Wolverine picture on Hot Air and I expected the headline:

Wolverine endorses Same Sex Marriage.

portlandon on March 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed too.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

One thing all these X-Men movies lack is a solid villain. What’s his name was agreeable enough, I suppose, but these movies need something spectacular, like Heath Ledger as The Joker.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Look awesome, cant wait to see it.

Jack_Burton on March 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Give up Immortality,that like sex,er wait,
er,nevermind!!
(snark)

canopfor on March 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

NERDS!!!!!!

BigWyo on March 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones has been cast as the main villain in Days of Future Past. He’s primarily a TV actor, but a damn good one.

Doughboy on March 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I saw the Wolverine picture on Hot Air and I expected the headline:
Wolverine endorses Same Sex Marriage.
portlandon on March 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed too.
listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Well, most of the X-Men ‘evolved’ so they support SSM.

Marcola on March 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well, the pattern has been for every other X-Men movie to be pretty good, so I expect this one will be terrible ala Origins and the Days of Future Past movie will be solid ala First Class.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

lester on March 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Hard to fit Days of Future Past into a timeline; I trust it’ll be good with Singer on board, though.

As for the Japanese setting, for those who are confused, that’s straight from the comics; Wolverine’s origin story/stories have been incredibly muddled over the years, but he’s usually spent a decent amount of time in Japan, where he learned bushido and got married.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

This is his first solo gig. The more you know.

Second.

lorien1973 on March 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Doughboy on March 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

People are guessing all over the map on his character.
Based on what I know of the story I am guessing he will play Trevor Fitzroy : A mutant criminal possessing the ability to absorb energy from human beings and use that energy to open time portals.

mechkiller_k on March 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Really? I loved McKellen’s portrayal of Magneto. He’s a different kind of villain than The Joker, a much more sympathetic one, and one who actually cares about people (at heart, he just wants a better world for mutants); he’s the classic case of a man whose zeal takes him over the edge and into dark waters.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Doughboy on March 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I love this guy. The Station Agent is one of my all-time favorite movies.

But the problem remains: who’s he playing? There’s all kinds of speculation, but the X-Men rogues gallery just isn’t all that compelling. After Magneto, what have you really got? And I’m tired of doddering old Magneto. :)

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Yeah, he did a fine job, but he’s done it three times already. It’s played out.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Fassbender’s Magneto in Xmen: First Class was badass. I could’ve sat through an entire movie of him hunting down Nazis.

Catoclysmos on March 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I love this guy. The Station Agent is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Kensington on March 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The Sentinels are going to be in the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past movie. They haven’t used Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse yet.

RedRobin145 on March 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM

The only problem I have with these films is that they’re based on comic books. The only true superheroes were Superman, Batman, The Flash and Green Lantern and they exist only in the minds of pre-teen boys.

Then Marvel started all this teen angst crap with Spiderman and mutants with every power Stan Lee could dream up and it turned into a billion dollar sinkhole for the earnings of everybody who never grew up and fuel for those who pass as creative in Hollywood and the nerds who do computer graphics.

The real action today is video games, and it all began with science fiction, which is still the source of true creativity.

flataffect on March 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM