Reason’s rebuttal to Jim Carrey: It Takes a Talking Ass

posted at 1:21 pm on March 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I didn’t get terribly agitated when Jim Carrey decided to spend several days insulting 60 million or more gun owners in the US by suggesting that they suffered from impotence, soullessness, and perhaps even the heartbreak of psoriasis. It’s been my experience that many celebrities have very little to say that’s worthy of attention about anything but their own products, and Carrey’s anti-vaccination campaign cemented that impression about him in particular.  I’d rather listen to Tom Cruise sharing his deep insights into psychiatry, mostly for the entertainment value.

That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the response from Reason and Remy, however.  In the grand tradition of the response song (think Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” after Neil Young’s “Southern Man”), Remy responds to Carrey’s “Cold Dead Hand” with “It Takes a Talking Ass,” which reviews Jim Carrey’s career as an intellectual — which even with some redundancy doesn’t stretch past two minutes. Please observe a mild NSFW warning, even with a most unlibertarian bleep over the most offending word:

Comments

“Shooting Blanks” a/k/a the name of every movie Jim Carrey has made since Ace Ventura, Pet Ventura.

Resist We Much on March 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

With every tweet, Jim Carrey succeeded in further proving that Jenny McCarthy was the Albert Einstein of the two.

Resist We Much on March 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

These people don’t care until they have some product to shill or a dying career.

I’m going to continue on with my strategy of ignoring Carrey and everything he is involved with. I invite everyone to join me.

kim roy on March 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Just in case you forgot, it doesn’t take a high IQ or much ability to apply logic in order to be an actor. Jim Carrey reminds me of that every time he opens his mouth.

NOMOBO on March 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

What a truly entertaining, relevant response to a classic rant of a “limousine liberal!”

tomshup on March 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I’ll still love Bruce Allmighty. Whether it meant to be or not, it was actually a relatively good defense of God, and touched on some of the most solid – and oft-forgotten – strategies for theodicy around.

It’s a shame Jimmy is this doltish…

Atlas on March 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Twitter has to be the worst thing to happen to intelligent public discourse since liberals got control of the media. It enables foul-mouth celebrities a place from which spew on subjects about which they know nothing.

I’d love seeing the security firms hired to protect these limousine liberals to drop them as clients when they speak their PC drivel, and let them fend for themselves.

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

It’s a shame Jimmy is this doltish…

Atlas on March 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

He’s just good at memorizing lines.

Ward Cleaver on March 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Something about her getting a TV show or something.

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Ed, I’d like to nominate that front page pic as the go-to pic for any live thread of an Obama speech.

Weight of Glory on March 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

kim roy on March 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

rsherwd65 on March 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

My fave is Greg Gutfeld’s reaction on The Five to Carrey’s ignorance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8AxAqmQdg

petefrt on March 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Something about her getting a TV show or something.

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Oh my!

Miss McCain describes it this way, in another tweet: “It’s meet the press meets jackass — on the road talk show, and it’s the opportunity of a lifetime!”

Yeah, that has all the hallmarks of quality programming.

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Since he insulted Sam Elliot in his little parody, I wonder if Katherine Ross will let him off the ranch long enough to teach him a little respect.

RickB on March 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Something about her getting a TV show or something.

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

normally the camera adds 10 pounds, but in Meg’s case…

GhoulAid on March 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Loved the “something uninvented” line.

JeremiahJohnson on March 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

She had a breast augmentation surgery. You heard it here first.

Archivarix on March 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

She had a breast augmentation surgery. You heard it here first.

Archivarix on March 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

So she got an inflatable bra?

MelonCollie on March 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It continues to dumbfound me that anybody cares one way or the other what a “celebrity” has to say about something, unless it’s notable for some reason other than the fact they said it.

Jim Carey (Sean Penn, Matt Damon, etcetera) is a guy who chose to be an actor for a living. That’s it. Joe the Plumber is a guy who chose to be a plumber for a living.

I honestly don’t get it.

Their characters are not them; that’s sort of the point of acting.

I do have one point of contention with some comments. It has nothing to do with IQ and we should get out of the habit of calling anyone who doesn’t agree with us dumb. Universities are filled with some very high IQ’s, particularly in the sciences. It’s cultural, not cerebral. The ideas can be stupid and still come out of an otherwise intelligent person.

IndieDogg on March 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Something about her getting a TV show or something.

Liam on March 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

It’s called Raising McCain and it will be on a new cable channel called Pivot.

RickB on March 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

When I 1st saw the picture I thought they had found a replacement for Jay Carney….

easyt65 on March 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Jim Carrey is a moron, and frankly I don’t care about his dumb video.

But as to the broader issue, this really bugs me. I mean these idiotic libtards stereotyping everybody. Look, I love our entire country, both urban environments and rural environments. But I’ve been into shooting sports for more than 20 years, and, without wanting to be specific, I was born in a MAJOR US city, and I am very well travelled globally, and I currently live in a different major US city. I have never lived in a rural area. And yet I am a proud gun owner. (Also, wtf? The Second Amendment could not be more clear.)

This stereotype is total BS. Carrey should just follow his destiny and kill himself. I’d celebrate. One less stereotyper. It really makes me mad.

And, for the record, even as a lifetime urbanite, I LIKE country music. I don’t listen to it that often, it’s far from my main thing. But I like it anyway. SO CARREY TAKE YOUR BIGOTED STEREOTYPES AND EFF OFF!

(My preference is for real cowboy music, not the watered down pop-country stuff. Seriously, how is Taylor Swift ‘country’?? I like songs about guns, drinking, trucks, and chicks dumping on you. It’s a simple formula. Why so few people can get this right is mysterious to me.)

WhatSlushfund on March 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

She had a breast augmentation surgery. You heard it here first.

Archivarix on March 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Good heavens, 666FFFF wasn’t big enough for her???

The only news that I want to hear about the Rich Man’s Snooki is that she has agreed to be Dr Ben Carson’s guinea pig when he performs the world’s first brain implantation.

Resist We Much on March 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Remember Liberals only say they hate stereotypes. The reality is they love stereotypes, just not negative stereotypes about themselves.

Grunt on March 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I always wondered why Jim Carrey was so good in that role type.

WryTrvllr on March 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Speaking of stereotypes, we have been inundated with Bloomberg’s anti-gun ads here in Ohio. It’s done with some scruffy country bumpkin type man sitting in the back of a pickup. He has a shotgun and has his finger on the trigger. Bloomberg must think we all look like this guy, and we are all stupid rubes. What as ass.

megthered on March 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Actors are professional liars. Their profession is all about pretending. So why should we believe them? Remember, it’s all about sincerity and once you can fake that, you’re gold, Jerry, gold.

I’m reminded about something the late, great Frank Zappa said: Listening to musicians talk about politics makes about as much sense as listening to politicians try and make music.

rokemronnie on March 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I guess these actors get enough money in the bank and then they don’t care how much of their audience they alienate.

Morgan Freeman was a longtime favorite of mine until he called us all bigoted racists during Obama’s reelection campaign.

Morgan now has a new movie coming out, he’s probably hoping that all us bigoted racists show up to see him. No Thanks!

RJL on March 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I really have a hard time taking the opinions of someone who plays dress up and make believe seriously.

Wendya on March 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I always wondered why Jim Carrey was so good in that role type.

WryTrvllr on March 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve read that it’s widely thought in Hollywood that there are very few good actors and that it’s mostly excellent casting that makes a good movie. In other words, if you need a Dumb & Dumber, look for a true Dumber for that role.

RJL on March 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So she got an inflatable bra?

MelonCollie on March 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Maybe she gotta talkin’ bust.

Shy Guy on March 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Wendya on March 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

There’s a time for everything. Unfortunately in Liberal-Land, the proper time for make believe is all the time!

MelonCollie on March 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM

IndieDogg on March 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

IQ is really only half of it. These “academics” might have a high IQ but they have zero ability for logic and critical thinking. The cultural side of it is secondary to their inate stupidity.

An actor, like Carrey, on the other hand is bereft of both IQ points AND the ability to apply logic and critical thinking. They are only emboldened by their popularity, not by their cerebral prowess. Their success is a perversion of Capitalism. Ronald Reagan recognized this and was humble in big part because of this recognition. He was one of only a very few actors who truly acheived success.

NOMOBO on March 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM

It’s so easy to confuse Jim Carry and Jay Carney. So similar and so useless.

TerryW on March 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

easyt65 on March 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

—————
– It’s so easy to confuse Jim Carry and Jay Carney. So similar and so useless.

TerryW on March 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

…I was talking about confusing Jim Carry’s @$$ with Jay Carney…

easyt65 on March 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Speaking of Meghan McCain, she ever break her big news?

Happy Nomad on March 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

She’s 76 months pregnant…

nextgen_repub on March 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Remy is awesome. Here’s his YouTube page with a lot of great videos.

Tzetzes on March 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Priceless :)… Carrey is not just an ordinary as*, he’s a giant as*…and the worst comedy actor who has set foot on earth…he shold take a lesson in acting from the other canadian, mike myers…

jimver on March 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I didn’t get irritated either. I haven’t given any of my money to Carrey in at least a decade or more. He’s got nothing to say that I want to hear, same goes for just about every other actor in Hollywood. Gary Sinese on the other hand, I’ll go see his stuff depending on who he’s with in the film.

TulsAmerican on March 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And anyone in the country gives a shit what this completely talentless, childish attention-whore says, because….?

a5minmajor on March 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

There’s more hilarious comments about Meghan McCain, than there are about … uhhh … “what’s-his-name”.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Wendya on March 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It’s worse than that…an actor’s entire career is based upon saying something that somebody else tells them to say. No wonder they’re simple parrots of talking points.

James on March 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM