Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

For gay-marriage opponents, it’s been an occasionally daunting period as they watch a steady stream of prominent politicians and institutions join the rival side…

“There’s too many of them to effectively boycott,” he said in a telephone interview.

Wildmon expects the U.S. to remain divided over gay marriage for a long time and hopes neither Congress nor the courts try to interfere with the right of states to set their own policies.

“That’s just the way it’s going to be,” he said. “If you want to be a homosexual married couple, move to a state that accepts it.”

***

After the sudden flip of several Senate Democrats from opposition to endorsement of gay marriage this week, the stampede may have come to an end, leaving a handful of holdouts in states where opinion still lags the national trend. Now that Sens. Kay Hagan (N.C.), Jon Tester (Mont.), Mark Warner (Va.), and Claire McCaskill (Mo.) have switched, just nine Senate Democrats remain in opposition, a core group that includes some of the party’s most socially conservative members: Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Mark Pryor (Ark.), Bob Casey (Pa.), Bill Nelson (Fl.), Tom Carper (Del.), Tim Johnson (S.D.), Mary Landrieu (La.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.) and Joe Donnelly (Ind.).

Showing no sign of concern about shifting national opinion in his culturally conservative state, Manchin told TIME through a spokesman: “I believe that a marriage is a union between one man and one woman.” “My beliefs are guided by my faith, and I support the Defense of Marriage Act,” he added. DOMA, passed in 1996, prohibits same-sex couples from receiving the federal benefits that married couples earn.

Pryor, Johnson, Heitkamp, and Landrieu had nothing to add to their existing opposition to same sex marriage. Pryor’s office told TIME that his position hasn’t changed, either.

***

For the staunchest opponents of gay marriage, a grievous setback at the bench might only spur more intense efforts to enact measures like the Federal Marriage Amendment proposed by George W. Bush, banning gay unions through the Constitution.

That proposal would still draw strong backing from parts of the GOP — particularly primary-voting evangelicals — even as fewer voters support it overall.

A ruling that ordains gay marriage from the Supreme Court, conservative strategist Patrick Hynes said, could “guarantee a permanent fissure in American public life such as we have experienced as a result of Roe v. Wade.”

“Republicans would likely struggle through years of difficult primaries as this highly complex issue would be bifurcated between black and white positions that enrage camps on both sides,” Hynes said. “This would obviously be a net win for national Democrats.”

***

The other policy question we face is the question of what to do about the substantial minority of Americans who continue to think gay marriage is a bad idea. The Roman Catholic Church and many evangelical churches, as well as many Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu groups aren’t going to change their historical doctrines just because the secular Zeitgeist has changed. The American people is not a flock of starlings who sweep in unison around the sky, all changing direction at just the same moment. If the laws recognize gay marriage, many religious groups will dissent against these laws, refuse to recognize the religious validity of these marriages, and continue to discourage the practice of homosexuality by their members.

Some gay rights advocates will believe that society needs to punish and repress these beliefs. Just as we don’t let segregated schools enjoy tax benefits and deny racists the “right” to discriminate in hiring and promoting, shouldn’t we hand out the same treatment to those backward bigots who refuse to move with the times?

At Via Meadia, we think that’s wrong. The distinction we would draw is between those who promote violence and bullying, and those who dissent from the new laws on moral grounds…

There will also be arguments over hate speech. It is certainly hate speech to say “Kill the faggots!” Is it hate speech to say that 2,000 years of Christian teaching rooted in the letters of the Apostle Paul assert that homosexual behavior is immoral and that no living person has the authority to overturn this long-established doctrine? To condemn the call for violence is easy; to condemn the second statement is to criminalize the practice of a substantial number of important religious traditions.

***

Turley said that polygamy is now where gay marriage was a decade ago, when Supreme Court decided Lawrence v. Texas, which stopped states from prohibiting sexual acts between same-sex couples. The implication is that polygamy will move forward in time.

“You cannot defend a new civil liberty, while denying it to others. I think there’s a grander more magnificent trend that can see in the law and that is this right to be left alone,” Turley said. “People have a right to establish their families as long as they don’t harm others.”

***

HANNITY: All right, last question, we have the issue of the Supreme Court dealing with two issues involving gay marriage. I’ve asked you a lot of questions. I’ve never asked you that, what are your thoughts?

CARSON: Well, my thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman. It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality. It doesn’t matter what they are. They don’t get to change the definition. So he, it’s not something that is against gays, it’s against anybody who wants to come along and change the fundamental definitions of pillars of society. It has significant ramifications.

HANNITY: And you know, it’s interesting, Justice Sotomayor brought up the issue of polygamy and incest. Where does the definition stop and I guess, we’ll be debating it for weeks and months to come.

***

And it won’t stop there; it never does. I’ve written before of the Seven Stages of Liberal Legal Activism:

1. It’s a free country, X should not be illegal.

2. The Constitution prohibits X from being made illegal.

3. If the Constitution protects a right to X, how can it be immoral? Anyone who disagrees is a bigot.

4. If X is a Constitutional right, how can we deny it to the poor? Taxpayer money must be given to people to get X.

5. The Constitution requires that taxpayer money be given to people to get X.

6. People who refuse to participate in X are criminals.

7. People who publicly disagree with X are criminals.

***

I will venture two predictions: first, liberals have probably passed through the easiest part of the fight. To date, their strategy has been one of stigmatizing opposition to gay marriage, and guaranteeing a social and professional price in establishment circles for any contrary point of view. It is a course that has built a narrative in the media and run up a string of victories in heavily Democratic states where social conservatives are suspect. National Republicans — who depend on that same media for oxygen and who have to raise cash in New York, Chicago, and Washington boardrooms as much as Democrats do — have been thrown on the defensive.

But if the Court won’t hand out the kind of sweeping victory that seemed possible a few days ago, putting gay and lesbian couples on an equivalent legal footing everywhere means that gay marriage champions will have to venture into deep red states. In other words, the places where a majority of voters have proved immune to the mainstream media’s enthusiasms, and the places liberals are used to writing off. It will put the left in the position of finding common ground with the same faith-oriented, cultural traditionalists that liberals have not only ignored in the Obama era, but that they aggressively marginalized by characterizing them as representative of the dying throes of the Republican base.

Second, there is no reason to think that same-sex marriage will not face the same countervailing winds that every other elite consensus eventually runs up against. There will be the hardened, dismissive attitude toward opposition that always stirs up a populist backlash; the unforeseen consequences that unravel elements of an unwieldy coalition (what will African-Americans make of the inevitability that the single largest class of children in LGBT homes will be the overwhelmingly black foster and adoptive population? How long will it take the fastest rising social demographic under 35–non-married but cohabiting heterosexual couples–to assert their own privacy rights?

***

[T]he coverage the topic receives is still disproportionate. It’s everywhere, and we’re not just talking this week. It’s not just on TV…you can’t go more than a few Facebook status updates without running into someone opining about it, showing you how openly sensitive they are. Or when looking at another way, how morally superior they are to you, the vapid idiot who isn’t making an important political statement, but posted a photo of his dog playing in the snow instead.

Bottom line: I loathe hearing about anyone—gay or straight—drone on about marriage, particularly impending marriage plans (and yes, I’m married). It’s like hearing about someone’s fantasy football team…sure, it’s important to that particular person, but trust me (as someone who is emotionally invested in two leagues), there isn’t a soul on the planet who wants to hear about who you drafted and why, or what big trade you made that week.

Same goes for marriage: You’re gay? You’re getting married? Good for you. Look forward to getting an invitation…

Just don’t share it in 74 Facebook updates on 74 consecutive days about how you just hired a band/DJ, picked out the place settings, are so psyched for the bachelor/bachelorette party, booked the honeymoon, mailed out all the invitations, or any other fantasy football-esque wedding planning that (again, trust me) ultimately only you and perhaps your Mom care about.

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

kingsjester on March 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM

amen

and a blessed weekend to you and yours…

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 6:59 AM

morning joe crew loving dear leader’s speech on gun control this am…

puhleeze…

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM

strawmen!!!!!

-dear leader

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I can’t say anything to you that I want to say to you about that. That post. :) And me saying this about not being able to say anything is probably silly, but . . . I just want you to know . . . I think you’d probably want to know . . .

. . . putting it in a private email would just make this worse . . .

OK: Let it be put in the public record that if a day began with me jumping out in front of you with a sword and taking your hit, it would end with me entering heaven at a run, making for the throne of God, and asking him to quickly send someone else to pick up my sword and take my place. After that was done, I’d shower and go look around.

If that makes any sense to you at all. I’m trying to get at something I don’t fully understand. I’m not a woman. Silliness of medieval analogies, our relative skill with close combat, or your personal preference about whether I should or shouldn’t have done anything that stupid notwithstanding.

. . . not sure how else to say it.

Axe on March 29, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Thanks for sharing…I think. If you’ll grant me the indulgence, I will offer an expanded reply once I receive my copy of Rosetta Stone’s Axe-to-Austrian-to-English translator. :-))

Also, for what its worth, I pray for your weird English ass all the time. :)

You don’t have to love me like you do
But you do, but you do.
And I thank you.

You don’t have to ponder-n-’ply to me like you do
But you do, but you do.
And I thank you.

If you take your love to somewhere else
I wouldn’t know what it means to be baffled to death
You make me feel like I’ve never felt
Words so indescribable I have to holler to Rosetta Stone for help

You don’t have to squeeze me, but you do
But you do, but you do
And I thank you.

You don’t have to obsess about my witchy-woman-evil-lip-eye avatar, but you do
But you do, but you do
And I thank you…I think

Every day is something new,
You pull out your bag and your fine to-do
You got me trying new things, too
Just so I can keep up with you.

You don’t have to Harlem Shake me like you do
But you do, but you do
And my broken ribs don’t thank you.

You don’t have to quake it like you do
But you do, but you do
And, especially since it pizzes off the Iranian Mullans, I thank you.

All my life I’ve been shortchanged
Without your love baby, it’s a crying shame
And now I know what the sistas are talking about
When they say that they been turned out

I want to thank you
Oh baby
Got to say

You don’t have to pray for me like you do
But you do, but you do.

You don’t have to love me like you do
But you do, but you do.
And, I thank you.

Baby
Baby
Thank!
I’ve!
Got!
I’ve got to!
Thank you, baby!

{{Hugs4Real}}

Resist We Much on March 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Hey cmsinaz!

Congrats on that gay-a-day Senate edition win.

Happy Nomad on March 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

i don’t get it

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM

It stopped being in our hands a loooong time ago.

Cleombrotus on March 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

GAYS GUNS AMNESTY!!!!

24/7/365

The media jihad continues!

PappyD61 on March 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Happy Nomad on March 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

thanks :)

*curtsy*

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Cleombrotus on March 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM

*sigh*

KJ has the take…

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Nice collection of quotations regarding what’s coming.

I’ve commented twice before that I couldn’t get over the cluelessness and disbelief of Chris Wallace while hosting FNC’s Special Report on Wednesday night. Fred Barnes described the fears Christian churches had about a ruling that essentially would unleash gays to sue them for not performing SSM ceremonies and to push for having their tax-exempt status revoked. Wallace couldn’t believe that would ever happen.

I tend to think that SCOTUS will go narrow. Gays will undoubtedly pick up more states. But I think there will be some kind of overreach that finally galvanize some resistance. Gays wil do something stupid like publicly dump on some group of Christian children who are too young even to be involved in the debate. Just watch. In there hearts, most gays couldn’t give a rat’s a** about families and kids. They have to be some of the most self-centered, self-absorbed people around.

On a separate note, conservatives worried about the culture really need to examine what they’re consuming on TV. To be sure, everyone’s entitled to his or her guilty pleasure. But as soon as I start seeing a regular gay character who wields absolute moral authority, it’s over. Maybe I didn’t think hard enough about it at the time, but NYPD seemed to handle the administrative assistant’s character pretty well. But you couldn’t pay me to follow Will & Grace, and I simply won’t watch Modern Family (even though the Hispanic woman is great, and they guy who played Al Bundy seems funny too). Glee? Please. And while flipping channels earlier this week, I stumbled onto that series The New Normal. I went back and forth, but the episode evidently dealt with one of the partners either quitting or being terminated as a Cub Scouts leader. Spare me.

Maybe I’m backward, but I need better humor and better drama than is provided by characters obsessed with their sexual orientation. Vote with your feet and your remote.

BuckeyeSam on March 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

cmsinaz on March 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I hate it when I’m right.

kingsjester on March 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM

…how do some of these people get elected?…good again kj!…I can get maybe one or two ‘good’ Letters To The Editor out per month…if my brain permits!…you do ‘IT’…all the time!

KOOLAID2 on March 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM

OT-

The rat-eared devil isn’t doing too well in his bracket picks this year. Indiana lost last night. So sad. We get his bracket picks well ahead of his budget submission and he delivers his usual level of incompetence.

Happy Nomad on March 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Thankyaverymuch!

kingsjester on March 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Exactly where we will be headed. It’s already happening.

1. It’s a free country, X should not be illegal.

2. The Constitution prohibits X from being made illegal.

5. The Constitution requires that taxpayer money be given to people to get X.

6. People who refuse to participate in X are criminals.

7. People who publicly disagree with X are criminals.

The activists who cried out about supposed persecution will in time become the persecutors.

The same homosexual mob mentality we see in Sodom and Gomorrah is alive and well today in homosexual activists. It is the same spirit.

Just one video. Homosexual mob attacking a grandmother caught on the news.

Here’s another story you probably never heard of. Mary Stachowicz Murdered by a homosexual because she shared her faith with him.

Of course, it’s not a hate crime when a homosexual murders a mother of four because she’s a Christian.

JellyToast on March 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Damn se* all the time. I’m sick of hearing of the gheys. Economy? Jobs? Small businesses? National security? Nada. The darn culture is imploding. Its an American Idol generation. Seriousness, soberness and maturity are considered to be dull and boring. Yep, Pax Americana is coming to an end.

tommy71 on March 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

BuckeyeSam on March 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Agreed. But most of what passes for entertainment on TV has been totally vapid for a long time now. When I’m not at work, my TV is off, maybe except for checking the weather forecast. And yeah, I do believe that what one watches on TV gets inside and affects a person stealthily, even when they insist it doesn’t.

I lost interest in anything on TV about 30 years ago. The last show I followed with any regularity was “The Cosby Show.” Really.

PatriotGal2257 on March 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Why did the man post assembly for a frequency display? This is not evidence of a worm. This has nothing to do with a worm. Its just a display.

SWalker . . . needs more medicine.

Wait — take nothing for granted. maybe I need more medicine.

*checks pulse*

Axe on March 29, 2013 at 4:59 AM

ROTFLMAO…. Apples have core’s, worms eat their way to the core, 6502 CPU for the Apple II… Clocks tell Time, in this case, they tell that the 6502′s time is long gone… :P “Too soon too soon” lol lol lol

SWalker on March 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM