Good news: Students at NH school to be spared trauma of … playing dodgeball

posted at 7:21 pm on March 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

A battle report from the nanny wars. And as usual with nanny measures, I’m left wondering whether they went too far or, per their own logic, not far enough. If you’re looking to spare the smaller, shyer, beta-male kids from unnecessary public humiliation, why not ban school dances too? Those sting much worse than taking a nerf ball off the face. Or, er, so my beta friends in grade school used to tell me.

Pro tip for the school board: If you want to build support for banning something, try to put a price tag on it instead of resorting to nebulous claims about what the practice might do to kids’ self-esteem. E.g., here’s HuffPo noting today that gun-related violence costs the U.S. billions in medical care each year. Mike Bloomberg’s also usually careful to work up a number on whatever problematic behavior his latest ticky-tack nanny initiative is designed to address. Lefties can be quite cost-conscious when they need to be if it helps them to, as Bloomy put it, “infringe on your freedom.” But if you’re going to use this strategy, understand going in that Ann Coulter and Nick Gillespie are right about it only working one way. Social conservatives eager to save the U.S. some of the $16 billion spent each year treating the 20 million or so new cases of STDs contracted annually by infringing on your sexual freedom will not be warmly welcomed by Bloomberg-style nannies.

Comments

Link?

catmman on March 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

lester will be down here like a flash. This is right in his wheelhouse.

a capella on March 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

these stats are NOT going to look pretty once they start rolling out (pun not intended) those new bacon-flavored condoms……/ Just think of it, bacon fat, salt and all the other fun things your GF can enjoy when your gettin’ jiggity wit it –IYKWIM.

ted c on March 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I got hit in the groin once during dodgeball, never played it again.

nonpartisan on March 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That was me in grade school, and I loved dodgeball. Chance at revenge. And what’s with the Nerf balls. We used volleyballs.

rbj on March 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

honestly I enjoyed dodge ball…but that was like in 4 th grade….and i think we used a bigger ball

these people look a little old and it looks like they can get some heft into their throws. Maybe they should be playing football, or soccer

r keller on March 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

And the pussification of Americans continues. Unabated.

ndanielson on March 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

lester will be down here like a flash. This is right in his wheelhouse.

a capella on March 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Maybe the little liar will finally link to the source post where I’m rumored to have said gangs rarely use guns.

Oops. Sorry. That will probably keep him off of this thread.

rogerb on March 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

ted c on March 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Nitrite free? Sandra Fluke must be beside herself.

ndanielson on March 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I got hit in the groin once during dodgeball……..

nonpartisan on March 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That’s been pretty evident from your posting history.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

They won’t let you ball dodge ball at school? Then play at summer camp.

Super Sports Camp (Grades 1-7)

Location: Invensys Foxboro YMCA Branch

Type: Sports camp

Dates: One week

Details: Campers will focus on a different sport each day and learn basic skills through drills and games. Sports will include soccer, basketball, and flag football; whiffle ball, and other non- traditional sports such as kickball and dodge ball. Campers will also get a chance to cool off in our new swimming pool. Campers will be divided into appropriate age groups.

Information: http://www.hockymca.org/~hocky/images/dev/docs/camp/camp_fx_21-33_2013.pdf

my emphasis

JohnFLob on March 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Another example of the end of the USA.

alanstern on March 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

************** Sissys *************:)

(Yes,I’m Kidding)

canopfor on March 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

AP hardest hit

… take that any way you want.

Marcola on March 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

there goes that great rite of passage whereby a young boy gets a rubber ball straight into the cojones.

good times.

renalin on March 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

How do you make a gay thread, without mentioning homosexuals, activists, or even sexual behavior?

EASY: Make a thread about dodgeball…

SWalker on March 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Playing dodgeball 2.0
–bayam

tom daschle concerned on March 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The threat and danger of AIDs, thanks to the gay pretend marriage community, costed a hell of a lot more than that. Tons more … including years of having the idiots in government lie about how everyone was just as likely to contract AIDs when it was, in fact, very specifically a gay male disease that only rarely passed out of that community and was usually only when their favorite sexual act was being practiced on some idiot females.

Not surprisingly, through all those years of AIDs being spread and being called the greatest threat to humanity, there was never a single study about the major transmission mechanism (anal sex) and how that played into it all. Not even any studikes about it and why AIDs had such a major spread in the hetero community in Africa – which liked that particularly risky sex act through which AIDs liked to move. But not a single study in the Western world to identify that … lest the poor gays be tainted as carriers of the disease that they carried and spread.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Agreed. I’m pretty sure I enjoyed dodgeball, but we stopped after elementary school. Those who had it in high school often have less positive memories of it. Why are they still playing a “kid’s game” at that age, anyway?

calbear on March 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Finishing my 10th year teaching PE at a KG-3 school in Texas. We play dodgeball every Friday with all 4 grades…… as long as you behave during the week you get to play. Hands down, no questions asked, the kids favorite game. The threat of not getting to play is my best discipline trump card. I’ve never heard a negative word from administrator or parent.

Spider79 on March 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I am ashamed of my State. Thank goodness this isn’t my town or I’d have to make the school administrators life hell with phone calls, letters and face to face encounters at townhall meetings.

Dodgeball is Awesome.

It teaches character.

It gives everyone the ability to peg the opponent with there best shot.

It used to make me laugh when the wimpiest kid in class took out the biggest dumb jock with a well placed shot to the head or groin.

Easily my favorite game we played in gym class between organized team sports or on rainy days.

We played in grade school, Jr.High and once in a great while in High School. Hell we even played it in the Army for P.T. occasionally. And we never used nerf balls we only used those red rubber balls, in grade school the ball was the size of a basketball and the older we got the smaller the ball got.

Dodgeball has only one rule – DODGE!!!!!!!!!

D-fusit on March 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I got hit in the groin once during dodgeball……..

nonpartisan on March 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

That’s been pretty evident from your posting history.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Z I N G ! . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Man, those were good times. Always a couple geeks way off to the side looking somewhere else. Always took them out first, usually with glasses flying off, and noses bloodied. Got em out of the game quick, which is what they wanted. Always fun when your face burned all day from a direct hit to the coconut. Had some great battles. Today’s p*ssies would be filing a lawsuit or something. Really sucks.

msupertas on March 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Spider79 on March 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Awesome

msupertas on March 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

My junior high gym teacher used to have us play a game inside on rainy days that he called smear the queer. I don’t think it was actually the game most people know as smear the queer though. Don’t remember too much about it. It involved half the class lining up against a wall while the rest of the class threw balls at them. He also had these nerf swords he would let us fight with. We would be blindfolded and we flailed around trying to hit our opponent with these swords. This teacher probably would be fired today.

Mark1971 on March 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Dodgeball has only one rule – DODGE!!!!!!!!!

D-fusit on March 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I thought there were five?

F15Mech on March 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM

So, now instead of getting the occasional nerf ball in the face the betas must endure the constant insult, “You’re so beta, you’d get dodgeball banned … if we could still play dodgeball.”

Dusty on March 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Mark1971 on March 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

We didn’t have those in school, but the summer recreation program did. When you fought someone you had a choice of the nerf sword or a barrel shaped nerf object that was in a giant pillow case. The most effective technique with the nerf sword was not swinging it, but a quick forward thrust to the face.

Wigglesworth on March 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

F15Mech, Nope Just One Rule

D-fusit on March 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

F15Mech, Nope Just One Rule

D-fusit on March 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

LOL I stand corrected

F15Mech on March 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

r keller on March 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I didn’t. I was always too slow and was an early victim. I preferred Red Rover. LOL

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Dodgeball? Meh. It had its uses at times.

ANyone remember wallball? Oh yeah, those tennis balls stung like a…! :-)

JohnAGJ on March 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I was really beta as a kid, and I think that is why I was always the last kid hit in dodgeball. Seriously. They are oppressing beta males by this idiocy. Here’s a game we excell at.

thuja on March 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM

rbj on March 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Some of those beta males are good dodgeball players. Harder to hit a smaller, quicker target. They can also stop the balls after they bounce off the back wall, and hand them to the harder throwers on their team. ower

We also used volleyballs–they sting a little, so you dodge them!

We also had a rule that if a player caught a thrown ball, the thrower was out. To avoid that, most of us aimed for the lower legs (harder to catch), but getting hit in the shins or feet doesn’t hurt much.

Steve Z on March 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Some of my fondest memories of the Sixth Grade go back to the Grand games of team Dodge Ball on the playground.

And the Nerds often did quite well at Dodge Ball too. When teams were being decided they weren’t left till last like they were in everything else.

We also used volleyballs–they sting a little, so you dodge them!

Ditto!

Steve Z on March 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM

For team play we said if you caught the ball one of your knocked out Team Members on the sideline came back in.

jaydee_007 on March 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM

I agree with a lot of the posters.

I loved dodgeball. Some of the most “alive” moments I had when I was in 5th and 6th grade. Raw, intense emotions and strategies along with some random chance and some tough lessons(not looking out for that missle thrower that was on the other side and opposite end of the front line). It also was one of those activities where athleticism was not 100% required.

It was also a “scary” moment when the whistle blew and the mayhem broke out. Good stuff after sitting in a class room all day. Great to get rid of the boredome and be “alive”. It was not mandatory to play but almost all the guys did.

I felt sorry for my kids. By they time they went through they never once played dodgeball in recess or gym. One more thing that the libs have trashed. It is a much greater loss than it would seem.

acyl72 on March 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM

acyl72 on March 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM

So, of course, since they didn’t have that activity to burn off excess calories, the powers that be are now starving them to death because they’re getting fat sitting around not playing dodge ball.

jaydee_007 on March 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM