And the least free state in America, is…

posted at 2:41 pm on March 28, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

…None other than the legislative haunt of Gov. Andrew “confiscation could be an option” Cuomo and loathsome nanny-state Mayor Bloomberg, of course. George Mason University’s Mercatus Center just released the third edition of their comprehensive “Freedom in the Fifty States” study, ranking “the American states based on how their policies promote freedom in the fiscal, regulatory, and personal realms.” The researchers calculated in factors ranging from the states’ levels of government spending and debt, tax burden, property rights protection, and health insurance freedom all the way to their policies on alcohol, tobacco, gambling, marriage, and firearms. North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma took the top five freedom spots, while Rhode Island, Hawaii, New Jersey, California, and New York came in 46th through last place.

Gotta’ love federalism, am I right?

Among the 10 fastest-growing metro areas last year were Raleigh, Austin, Las Vegas, Orlando, Charlotte, Phoenix, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. All of these are in low-tax, business-friendly red states. Blue-state areas such as Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Providence and Rochester were among the biggest population losers.

This migration isn’t accidental. Workers and business owners are responding to clear economic incentives. Red states in the Southeast and Sunbelt are following the Reagan model by reducing tax rates and easing regulations. They also offer right-to-work laws as an enticement for businesses to come and set up shop. Meanwhile, the blue states of the Northeast, joined by California, Minnesota and Illinois, are implementing the Obama model of raising taxes on businesses and the wealthy to fund government “investments” and union power.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m going to have to look into this. The articles says that Wyoming has “the highest taxes as a percentage of personal income in the region.” But we have no state income tax, no corporate tax, sales tax is 5%, cigarette taxes are low…I’d like to see the data on their calculations.

Jackalope on March 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’m guessing they probably did something simple like taking each state’s total tax revenue and dividing by the state GDP to get “taxes as a percentage of income.”

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM

i hope oklahoma works out for you.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Oklahoma wouldn’t be bad considering the living space you can get for a mere $400 a month, but I’ll be going to the Charleston South Carolina area, right by the beach.

Arizona with its gorgeous painted desert would have been pretty awesome as well.

Daemonocracy on March 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Badger40 on March 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Take it easy, friend. He exists to antagonize, not even bothering to make intelligent arguments or debate on merits. He’s the school yard bully who seeks to torment, but is actually lonely, sad, and miserable on the inside.

Jackalope on March 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

gravityman on March 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Living 30 miles north of LEmmon & loving every minute of it.
56 degrees & we’re calving.
I could not have it better.
Hang me if I ever have to live in the city again.

Badger40 on March 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Jackalope on March 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I know. I’ve been here a while & have seen it act like this a lot.
Never anything of substance.
A worthless POS troll if I’ve ever seen one.
Instead of debate why ND is freer than NY etc, we have to insult people.
It deserves a F@ck you, & more.

Badger40 on March 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Oh, and I’ll be right by the Francis Marion National Forest too!

Daemonocracy on March 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Daemonocracy on March 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Plus our high maintenance girls are actually pretty good looking and far from the fat ones you currently encounter haha.

nextgen_repub on March 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Texas’s position is VERY disappointing.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Bloomie/Androomie 2016!!!

YEEEEEEAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Marcola on March 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

States never become blue by accident.

Speakup on March 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Jackalope on March 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM

So it could simply mean that there aren’t many poor people in Wyoming, so that most of them actually pay taxes?

slickwillie2001 on March 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

One thing that really burns my butt is the supercilious A-Os that live in the “cultured” parts of the country disparaging the rest of us in fly-over country for our lack of Kulture. Hey sesspool – I bet I cam name more world class ballarinas from Oklahoma than you can from your kultured state. We have also given you world class opera singers, pop/country/western music stars than any state you came name. My uncle sang with the Metrapolitan opera for 40 years.

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

it’s ‘ballerinas’ and ‘metropolitan’.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Too bad the statue of liberty sits so closely.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I’m sold…but I wouldn’t advertise how wonderful the red states are. You never know when a moocher may think “Hey, sounds okay. Maybe I’ll give it a shot”.

I’d rather the red states remain best kept secrets from their ilk.

freedomfirst on March 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

it’s ‘ballerinas’ and ‘metropolitan’.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I bet Old Country Boy has seen more “ballarinas” and “Metrapolitan opera” performances than you have.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Let them have their 3am bagels and lox.

freedomfirst on March 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Jackalope, here is the state by state gate.

Clicking on Wyoming

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

it’s ‘ballerinas’ and ‘metropolitan’.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It’s okay to capitalize the occasional word. This isn’t AIM or text messaging.

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Yes but Sesquip has probably seen more feces covered art and STDs, so it’s even. ;)

Daemonocracy on March 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If New Hampshire’s motto is “Live free or die,” then I think New York should consider “Live free or here.”

alchemist19 on March 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It was not concerned with capitalization, but with spelling, as if lefties are all perfect at it, especially on HA.

It considers all right of itself to be non-elitist rubes, bible-thumping, truck-driving, cousin-humping, non-opera types.

Not to worry – when the SHTF it will starve, among the first.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

can you speak louder? i can’t hear you with all the bible-thumping in the background.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM

The problem with many posters here is that they are very polite when dealing with a low IQ communist scum and slave of the state like you… Come and shine my shoes you litte piece of sh*t… I will pay you $ 5 for doing so and at least you will earn some money by doing something rather than living on other people expense all the time…

mnjg on March 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Sorry about that. That ain’t igorance, that is two grandcountry grade school kids hitting the front door like two tornados after being let off the bus. I had no choice but to hit publish without checking. But I am interested in your typical counter arguments based on ad homs or typos. I’ve noticed that several other posters have the same complaints about you. Do you ever contribute something positive to the discussion or do you just jump in the middle like the ignorant pile of negativity ass you are.

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I checked in over at HuffPo and they were discussing this same article. The excuses they were making for NY and the rest of the blue states was getting ridiculus; they were down to NY has better restaurants than ND.

Tater Salad on March 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

While the position of Texas is a little disappointing to me, I am in no way surprised by the position of the leftie states in the map. And another thing that gives me hope is the cities that saw so much growth. Did anyone else notice that 5 of the top 10 were in Texas?

Gotta love it.

Freed0m28 on March 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Just recall that Obama and his minions “love the children and the people, especially the middle class”.

Oh, btw, they love the ignorant imbecillic Obama-phone-lady and her types. I bet they can spell perfectly.

Plus, as Del says – Obama won with the majority of high-school dropouts in 2012. I bet they all spell perfectly too.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Look, the world loves the US, ‘more than ever’.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

The high-tax, anti-freedom blue areas like NYC, Chicago, etc. are great places to visit but not to live or raise children. Kind of like many “third-world” vacation hotspots.

visions on March 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The Empire State theme song:
Hey Andrew, azende me tuzeprovenos sfachim.

diogenes on March 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM

…they were down to NY has better restaurants than ND.

Tater Salad on March 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

They assume NY has better restaurants than ND, but I bet none of those elitists have ever been to ND or eaten at one of our restaurants. I might have thought the same until I moved here. I discovered that the beef here is out of this world delicious.

gravityman on March 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I bet none of those NY elitists know how delicious Knoephla Soup is either.

gravityman on March 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

freedomfirst on March 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

If we could devise a way to make it harder to get there. Maybe hacking google maps so they all require you to show a basic grasp of economics before it will show you the real route? Or maybe a gauntlet of wolves and bears they have to survive (outside their car)? Any other things that might engender the right set of values by the time they arrive?

GWB on March 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

they were down to NY has better restaurants than ND.

Tater Salad on March 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I have been in NY. The city and the state (yes, there is a difference.) What have found is that the farther south and the farther west you go, the better the food quality. This only works until you reach the rocky mountains.

Freed0m28 on March 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Not to worry – when the SHTF it will starve be eaten, among the first.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

FIFY ;)

GWB on March 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Free state 2.0
–bayam

tom daschle concerned on March 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Think culture in NYC is really all that amazing? If you’re that much of a snob, then you’ll be disappointed to find that what you have there is a piddling nothing compared to that in Moscow, or St. Petersburg.

Really, if trading liberty for world-renowned culture is what you seek, then why live under the cheap wannabe and enjoy the “freedoms” offered to you by the real Putin.

Gingotts on March 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Freed0m28 on March 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Don’t know… I have an uncle that actually came back to this state entirely (I have to assume entirely, because why else would anybody want to be here) because he couldn’t get a good pizza out in the rest of the country.

I think this state is a craphole as much as anybody, but it’s a craphole with the best Italian food. Granted, this only really applies to the stretch of Thruway between Albany and Rochester.

And yeah, I’d trade it away if it meant being rid of Cuomo, Schumer, blonde female Schumer, and all others of a similar statist mindset.

Gingotts on March 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You are right about the ballerinas. Serious dancers know this. :) I have one coming to study there this summer.

You should take great pleasure in knowing that all the liberals have to watch the ballerinas at New York City Ballet dance in the David Koch theatre…oh the horror of all that dirty oil money keeping classical ballet alive in NYC.

monalisa on March 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Obama’s America, Drudge today:

WSJ: Food Stamps Swell — as Economy ‘Improves’…

Disability the new welfare…

Jobless claims rise…

Dozens Camp Out Overnight For Free Food From CHICK-FIL-A…

Police restrain crowd from taking food after supermarket eviction…

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Someone should get the word to Andrew that this is noted, and that it will be hung around his neck 24×7 coast to coast if he tries to run for higher office.

Poor schmuck actually thinks he’ll be president someday. It is to laugh.

The sad part is, running a state like NY well would have been a perfect springboard for higher office. It’s a big job, and success at it would have been an extremely worthy audition. But look what he’s doing instead. It’s like he’s TRYING to make every possible fool mistake. Only way he could do worse is to declare Bloomberg his veep choice. Maybe he will.

Maybe like his Dear Leader, he thinks he can simply call his failures successes and everyone will, you know, buy it.

Dirty Creature on March 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM

genuine people that listen to philorcs typically say “world-class” when differentiating between them.

lmfao

tom daschle concerned on March 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Gingotts on March 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It’s still disgusted that the name is no longer Leningrad.

Schadenfreude on March 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

koch-funded think tank

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, I mean Hawai’i IS Paradise-the ICE epidemic out there is one of the worst in the world, homeless people living on the beaches, yada yada. Been there recently? Some places look exactly like a 3rd world country.

BTW I know it must be painful for you Low-IQ Dem voters having to adopt the Koch Brothers are your new Objects of Fear. After all, you can’t trash Halliburton anymore, not since Soros bought a chunk of the company…

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh no, not religious people! They might invite me to a bake sale or *gasp* put me on a prayer list!

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Yeah, all that wonderful culture that you soak in, what, two or three times a year? How often are you really visiting the MOMA, seeing a Broadway show or eating at Michelin-ranked restaurants? Once a month, tops? And that’s if you’re exceedingly wealthy.

Meanwhile, you’re got a ridiculous COL to live in a glorified shoebox in an area with mediocre weather. Spare me the lecture on how NYC is paradise.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Texas’s position is VERY disappointing.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

What am I misunderstanding ?

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Daemonocracy on March 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, sesqui’s breathless chest-thumping about his hometown would make a bit more sense if he were from, say, San Diego. At least there you have gorgeous weather and pretty girls.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Me too, ‘Country Boy.
Bottom line, sesqui’; “fly-over country” folk can live without your “culture”.

But you can’t live without theirs.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Yvonne Chouteau (born 1929), grew up in Vinita, Oklahoma and is a member of the Shawnee Tribe. At age 14, she became the youngest dancer to be accepted by the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. She and her husband Miguel Terekhov founded the Oklahoma City Civic Ballet, now known as Oklahoma City Ballet.

Rosella Hightower (1920-2008), a Choctaw, was born in Durwood, Oklahoma. Hightower first danced for the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo and several other companies. She founded the Center for Classical Dance in Cannes, France and was the director of the Marseilles Opera Ballet, the Ballet de Nancy, and the Ballet de l’Opéra National de Paris. In 1975, she garnered France’s premier honor, the Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur.

Moscelyne Larkin (1925-2012) was born in Miami, Oklahoma. She is of Peoria, Shawnee, and Russian heritage. Her mother personally trained her in ballet. Larkin joined the Original Ballet Russe at age 15, and later danced for the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. She moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma with her husband Roman Jansinsky, where they founded the Tulsa Ballet Theatre.

Maria Tallchief (born 1925) is Osage and was born in Fairfax, Oklahoma. She joined the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo and later the New York City Ballet. She married its director and choreographer George Balanchine, who created ballets for her.

Marjorie Tallchief (born 1926) is Maria’s sister and also Osage. She grew up in Fairfax, Oklahoma. She became the first Native American premiere danseuse étoile in the Paris Opéra.

This extracted abridged from wikipedia. It was easier to extract and get the facts right than to try to be original with my 72 year old arthritic fingers.

Of course there is also Patti Page, Reba, Anita Bryant (class of 58 like me), Toby Keith, Bob Wills, all those modern country blonds, etc. Just sayen, we may be country but we still have kulture.

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Bottom line, sesqui’; “fly-over country” folk can live without your “culture”.

But you can’t live without theirs.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Surely you can’t be suggesting that sesqui might starve if it weren’t for the extensive agricultural knowledge of those “rubes in fly-over country”?? I mean, he/she is so much more cultured than us… surely he knows all the ins and outs of planting and harvesting massive crop fields… right?

gravityman on March 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

No, that would be the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony.

So I guess on your world, it’s perfectly OK to like classical music if you live in the grimy city, but unacceptable to like classical music if you don’t? I thought only conservatives were provincialists.

By the way, I saw the genius of The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, perform his classic album “Pet Sounds” live here in “Cow Hampshire” a few years back. He was joined by the New Hampshire Symphony, and they were all great.

FYI, 90% of those NH Symphony members are Democrats.

Del Dolemonte on March 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

David Koch is the lead underwriter of culture and the arts in NYC. Sesqui will have to come to terms with that.

monalisa on March 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Explains how a Virginian like myself feels so at home in Arizona.

Sic semper Tyrannis.

Sgt Steve on March 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Old Country Boy on March 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

The Ballet Russe? Bunch of pikers. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen gay Yoni’s one man show in The Village; it’s a re-telling of I Pagliacci in the style of Rocky Horror Picture Show, complete with dancing condoms.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Sierra Vista, Arizona has a wonderful orchestra. I’m no boor, I’ve been to the Berlin, Germany’s orchestra, and the opera in Frankfurt as well…Sierra Vista’s biggest limiting factor is the acoustics of their venue, the local high school. The skill level and musicianship are quite high.

Sgt Steve on March 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Now if we could only contain liberals in those 5 plantations. They’d be happy, the rest of us would be happy.

GarandFan on March 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

This report is a joke. There is nothing free about this country. The government owns and controls everything. The constitution is rag of a joke.

My apologies to all you flag waving Uncle Sam rump swabs out there. But if you think I am wrong answer these questions: If you don’t think the government owns everything in this country, why can it take your property at will?

And why is it that the government must be informed about every financial transaction over $10k, and if you try to split your transactions into smaller amounts because you don’t think it is any of the governments business that you can be charged with criminal conspiracy for that?

Let it burn.

woodNfish on March 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

And many Fargoans listen to the Vienna Philharmonic as we speak.

Gelsomina on March 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I live in New York, the reality is our state is dying and only propped up by the financial industry and to a certain extent tourism. Everything else is going backwards.

rob verdi on March 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

You just described Cyprus

Here in the People’s Republic of Illinois you will see Lefties fleeing their Utopias for traditionally “reddish” areas within the state. Once settled, they promptly vote in Democrats.

visions on March 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Libs believe the economy is a zero sum gain. If one town is wealthier than another town, libs assume the richer town is holding out. In other words libs do not create wealth, they chase wealth. When they get to the new location, it is their duty to rape the purse and redistribute wealth, while suppressing anti socialist thought. They assume conservatives crave guns and religion to resist assimilation into the collective

Shame about the decline of NYC. Decades ago, NYC was one of the free cities. I recall a guy selling hot dogs from a stand on the street, and slugs of whiskey under the table. Everyone winked.

Today, the fellow would get the anal exam from the State, and sent to reprogramming unless he could prove status as one of the disadvantaged. If there was one free man left in NYC, he ought to give Bloomberg a colonoscopy, to verify that what is excreted out of Bloomie matches what he is shoving down everyone else

entagor on March 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It’s okay to capitalize the occasional word. This isn’t AIM or text messaging.

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hard to do with one hand.

CurtZHP on March 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Me too, ‘Country Boy.
Bottom line, sesqui’; “fly-over country” folk can live without your “culture”.

But you can’t live without theirs.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Really though, when you think about it there would be no pop culture whatever without the despised South. Jazz, blues, country, rock and roll…all began there. Here.

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

^ And no jazz, no NYC native Gershwin.

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

^ Ooops, looks like he was from Brooklyn. Anyway, same point holds.

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

what are you blowing?

KOOLAID2 on March 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Nice weighting? Sodak is #2 overall, yet #46 for personal freedom? Screw personal freedom huh.

Daikokuco on March 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Jazz, blues, country, rock and roll…all began there. Here.

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Oh yeah, the invention of jazz, blues, and rock and roll by blacks in the pre-civil rights South totally happened in an environment of freedom.

Daikokuco on March 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I love Arizona. Left commie Md years ago. I guess I’m a redneck. My culture is a viola, violin, geeeetar, clawhammer banjo, mandolin, etc. My mom lives here too now. She graduated from Peabody music in music theory.

You can have fancy sesquatch. I strap on a gun and head out in the desert at sunset for free. And make my own music. Bottle of cabernet and a huge steak.

If NY is “culture”, I’ll pass. I’d rather have a few chicken coops and good hunting rifles. Land.

You see, my culture is under my control. Not what tickets I can afford to watch someone else. Like Sgt.Steve, I find incredible talent in small venues.

wolly4321 on March 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

On your ipod? I’m fairly sure they sell those in Oklahoma.

rogerb on March 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Holy cow. I just realized how badly you told on yourself.

i’m listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic as we speak.

sesquipedalian on March 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

…Or were you physically attending a performance while posting repeatedly on hotair.com to quip that we’re the uncultured ones?

rogerb on March 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

People who willingly attended due to their appreciation of the music wouldn’t be online during the performance (not to mention how rude it is to those seated around you).

You were working, weren’t you? That’s why you could, and did, freely post a dozen or so times between 3 and 4pm while “listening to the world-class fargo philharmonic”.

It makes more sense now why you didn’t know their real name, too.

That’s hilarious.

Usher? Concessions? Coat check? Valet parking?

Well done / oopsies.

rogerb on March 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Could we do away with these silly surveys of the happiest state, the most free state, etc. ? None of them use a scientific method for coming up with their measurement variables. Yes, they seem “reasonable”, but is there any theoretical support?

The scientific method requires theoretical support for the dimensions that measure such variables. You can’t simply say “they sound right”.

Finally, these surveys do nothing but chew up time arguing about them and further split us up.

itsspideyman on March 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It makes more sense now why you didn’t know their real name, too.

That’s hilarious.

Usher? Concessions? Coat check? Valet parking?

Well done / oopsies.

rogerb on March 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

glorious comment, rodge. yes, i was working but i was listening to the parsifal, as you’d expect on good friday.

sesquipedalian on March 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM

rogerb on March 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

sesquipedalian on March 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM

whoa

sesquipedalian on March 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Jazz, blues, country, rock and roll…all began there. Here.

ddrintn on March 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Daikokuco on March 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

It certainly didn’t start in the free North.

ddrintn on March 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

^ By the way, rock and roll is an amalgam of lots of different types of music prevalent in the South, not just blues and jazz.

ddrintn on March 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM