Who really shot Bin Laden?

posted at 3:21 pm on March 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Good stuff from CNN keying off Brandon Webb’s interview with an unnamed SEAL who claims the Esquire cover story about the man who shot Bin Laden is a big ball of shinola. To recap: According to Esquire, two SEALs were present during the initial confrontation with Bin Laden on the third floor. One, the “point man,” allegedly shot Bin Laden’s son Khaled on the way up the stairs, then saw another man on the third floor peeking around a curtain in front of the hallway. The point man squeezed off a shot or two and the man disappeared behind the curtain. The two SEALs then discovered two women in the hallway. The point man grabbed them to take the force of the blow in case either was wired with a suicide bomb. The other SEAL rushed past him, entered the bedroom, and saw OBL standing there behind a third woman. Quote:

There was bin Laden standing there. He had his hands on a woman’s shoulders, pushing her ahead, not exactly toward me but by me, in the direction of the hallway commotion. It was his youngest wife, Amal…

I’m just looking at him from right here [he moves his hand out from his face about ten inches]. He’s got a gun on a shelf right there, the short AK he’s famous for. And he’s moving forward. I don’t know if she’s got a vest and she’s being pushed to martyr them both. He’s got a gun within reach. He’s a threat. I need to get a head shot so he won’t have a chance to clack himself off [blow himself up].

In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead. Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed and I hit him again, Bap! same place. That time I used my EOTech red-dot holo sight. He was dead. Not moving. His tongue was out. I watched him take his last breaths, just a reflex breath.

I wrote about the Esquire piece last month but missed an obvious red flag at the time. The story about Bin Laden hiding behind his wife was told by John Brennan in the first hours after the raid and went viral instantly, for obvious reasons. The idea of the man responsible for 9/11 hiding behind a woman at the moment of truth is as good as propaganda gets. Just one problem: The White House backed off it immediately, claiming that Brennan had confused an encounter with a different man and woman during the raid with what happened to Bin Laden. That’s highly unlikely — Brennan probably was just seizing an opportunity for psy ops — but there’s no reason for senior officials to retreat from what he said unless it was in fact untrue. Very strange that “the shooter” in Esquire’s article would repeat the same story when other SEAL accounts of OBL’s last moments don’t mention it.

So what really happened? According to Webb’s source, it seems highly likely that when the point man squeezed off a shot at the mysterious man peeking around the curtain on the third floor, he hit him square in the head. Bin Laden collapsed and was either dead or all but dead by the time Esquire’s “shooter” reached him. Quote:

The shooter claims that the point man took a few shots as the man sticks his head out the door…. Ok we all agree on that. But here is where is story goes sideways AGAIN. The shooter claims that the point man, after taking his shots towards the adult male standing in the door, that he then turned his attention towards the women in the hallway. There were ZERO women in the hallway. Also, ZERO shooters are going to take shots at an unidentified adult male, and then simply peal off without following up to see if he hit that target, to go deal with unarmed women. After the point man engaged toward the unknown male (UBL), he DID follow his shots and entered the room. When he saw that UBL was on the floor and no longer a threat, he dropped his weapon, and then at that point dealt with the unarmed females. Even the shooter and No Easy Day say that the point man handled the women.

My point is, the point man would have NEVER dropped his cover on the adult male had he not been 200% sure he was no longer a threat. According to the shooter, the point man stayed in the hallway to deal with the women. Simply not true, because no SEAL I know would have dropped the cover on the male in the room that he had just shot at. The shooter now claims that he enters the room and looks at UBL and shoots him twice in the face as UBL was going for his gun. There was NO WEAPON found in UBLs room until about 5 min into the search, and was found above the door on a shelf. Again, this has never been disputed by anybody, so if the shooter was so sure he was going for his gun….how could he see it???

Per this account, Esquire’s “shooter” pumps a few unnecessary bullets into OBL after he’s already collapsed on the floor, bleeding out from the head wound that the point man had inflicted. Far less gripping than the final tense eye-to-eye encounter in Esquire’s telling. Webb’s source also claims the alleged “shooter” was later fired from Team Six for blabbing too much about his role in the raid and that, contra the premise of Esquire’s piece, he wasn’t blindsided by the sort of health coverage he’d receive after he left the service.

Whom to believe? Well, turns out the story from Webb’s source closely matches the story told by the author of “No Easy Day,” who was allegedly the third SEAL on the third floor (contra the “shooter’s” claim that there were only two). He also claims that it was the point man who took OBL down with a shot from the stairs while he was poking his head out to see what was happening. Another hole in Esquire’s story: According to both Webb’s source and a SEAL operator who spoke to CNN’s Peter Bergen, the SEALs were trying to avoid shooting Bin Laden in the head so that they’d have an easier time with facial recognition afterward. The story about a shot from the stairs at an unknown man to disable him makes more sense in that regard than Esquire’s “shooter” storming into the room and popping OBL three times square in the forehead after he’d already realized who he was. Plus, other members of Team Six told Bergen that they regard the “No Easy Day” author as more credible than the “shooter” who was interviewed by Esquire. A simple question as you watch below: If the Esquire account is true and the other accounts are simply part of some coordinated campaign to discredit the “shooter” because he’s talking too much, why didn’t they concoct a story in which a different SEAL has a glorious face-to-face encounter with OBL at the end? The story about the shot from the stairs rings true precisely because it’s not the sort of dramatic, personal confrontation you’d expect from a made-up tale.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Was he gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Was the shooter gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Were his goats and camels gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Did Obama kill him?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Isn’t it gay that he’s still dead?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

“at this point…………..”

No, really.

BL@KBIRD on March 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

It’s really gay that there is a thread that isn’t about gay marriage.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Did Obama kill him?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Is Obama gay?

nobar on March 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The SEALs did.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, really, if this isn’t about ghey stuff them I don’t care.

Unless the killing of OBL was a hate crime. Which would be totally bad.

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Is Obama gay?

nobar on March 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Sure, he’s the first gay president.

Hillary will be the second, though and older white male.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Is terrorism gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I heard the seals called out “Usama, we have a new goat for you and she’s wearing Victoria Secret”.>

BOOM!

fogw on March 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Who cares. The S.O.B. is dead by American hands. That’s all that concerns me.

LukeinNE on March 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Bin Laden has always been Americas beard, foil, distraction from Islam. Only God knows why America is so in love and protective of what is clearly a poisoned society of supremacists who insist on being a parasite on you.

Go figure.

BL@KBIRD on March 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Too bad they dumped him in the ocean.

The myriad ants who’d gnaw on him w/b very gay.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Was he gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

If you don’t like the gay marriage threads, just skip ‘em. There’s going to be lots of coverage of that issue this week because you’ve got two landmark cases about it in front of the Supremes and lots of Democrats declaring their support.

Allahpundit on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

New internet dismissal

Too straight, didn’t read.
TS;DR

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

They’re all fibbing about it, including foremost the WH, from moment One.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Who cares. The S.O.B. is dead by American hands. That’s all that concerns me.

LukeinNE on March 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Maybe….

sandee on March 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Any word on Field Marshal Hassan down in FT. Hood? Too Islamy isn’t it?

BL@KBIRD on March 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I did
-dear leader

cmsinaz on March 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Well whoever killed that rop type devils spawn, GOOD for you! And me thinks it was SEALS! God bless you.
L

letget on March 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I shot Bin Laden. But I did not shoot his deputy.

The Rogue Tomato on March 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Too bad they dumped him in the ocean.

The myriad ants who’d gnaw on him w/b very gay.

The sealife that fed on him had to have had a gay old time!

hawkeye54 on March 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

If you don’t like the gay marriage threads, just skip ‘em.

Indeed. I knew that. I’m still free.

There’s going to be lots of coverage of that issue this week because you’ve we’ve got two landmark cases about it in front of the Supremes and lots of Democrats declaring their support.

Allahpundit on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Dude, it’s a private enterprise. You do your job, we do our commenting. Relax.

It’s just a gay week. We’re all gay about it.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I shot Bin Laden. But I did not shoot his deputy.

LOL :)

hawkeye54 on March 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sorry, s/b in quotes

If you don’t like the gay marriage threads, just skip ‘em.

Indeed. I knew that. I’m still free.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I thought Barky took him out with a knife to the throat, kneeling on Bin Laden while whispering “This is for AMERICA, punk!” before swiping the cold steel left to right.

Bishop on March 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Is terrorism gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

You complain about “Gay Air”, then inject it into a thread with nothing to do with it? OK.

changer1701 on March 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

two landmark cases about it in front of the Supremes and lots of Democrats (and Republicans) declaring their support.

Allahpundit on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not to miss the Republicans.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It’s just a gay week. We’re all gay about it.

I know, right?

We were just complaining that this story wasn’t gay enough. I mean, could you at least throw us a gay bone about how the seal how really shot bin laden is now totally marrying his newly discovered gay fiance?

Otherwise, really, I don’t know what else is worthwhile.

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

For starters, I’m not that much convinced that bin Laden was actually shot. The story with “sea burial” stinks to high heaven.

Archivarix on March 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Called it!!

I’ve read the article, and none of what you posted changes my primary point / opinion – which is that this whole story is a fake.
I believe this radical left-wing writer (look up his background) either made it all up, or he was a sucker for a stolen valor type fraudster. I believe we will find out the truth fairly soon.

dentarthurdent on February 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

changer1701 on March 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You’re wrong. No complaining. It’s all gay.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

It was Colonel Mustard.

Who cares? He’s dead.

Thanks SEALS.

Marcus Traianus on March 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

changer1701 on March 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Don’t forget the other meaning of gay.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

You’re wrong. No complaining. It’s all gay.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Gay and lesbian, bro. Don’t ever forget the lesbian part.

Archivarix on March 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Who cares? He’s dead.

Thanks SEALS.

Marcus Traianus on March 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Indeed, but Obama wanted all to know the he killed Osams, ahead of the elections.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM

We can always ask Hugo if Bin Laden is dead.

nobar on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Bishop on March 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Barry wouldn’t do any such thing to a Muslim terrorist.

Beagles yeah. Poodles for sure. A man’s gotta eat.

fogw on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Archivarix on March 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM

No, gay = happy and chipper, cheerful. Gosh, people, cheer up!

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Don’t ever forget the lesbian part.

and not that lipstick variety either, I’m talking a pair of 50 year old coots with short gray hair and no discernible body shape

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Beagles yeah. Poodles for sure. A man’s gotta eat.

fogw on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

You forgot the R/Cs, figuratively, of course.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Gay and lesbian, bro. Don’t ever forget the lesbian part.

Don’t be so insensitive. Be sure to include transgenders in future posts, too.

hawkeye54 on March 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Was the shooter gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I’ll bet the Esquire writer is gay.

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

But they did not shoot the deputy. :) (older folks might know where I`m getting that from) :)

ThePrez on March 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Indeed, but Obama wanted all to know the he killed Osama, ahead of the elections.

The SEALS were merely the tools carrying out Barry’s orders. So, all credit must belong to Barry.

hawkeye54 on March 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

You forgot the R/Cs, figuratively, of course.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

No I didn’t, I said Poodles.

fogw on March 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Obamacare raising health care costs?
TS;DR
The economy is going to shit as we build $1 deficits?
TS;DR
Global warming is a bunch of BS designed to payoff Obama cronies?
TS;DR
gay marriage preference cascade grabs another soulless congresscritter?
I’d like to subscribe to that newsletter.

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The facts aren’t gay enough. We definitely need more gay research into this.

HotAirian on March 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

No I didn’t, I said Poodles.

fogw on March 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hah, glad to stand corrected!

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

If you don’t like the gay marriage threads, just skip

Allahpundit on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Couldn’t resist. Imagine if you had said sashay… or whistle…

“If you need me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow.”

Sorry, seriously couldn’t resist.

On topic-ish, I never saw Old Binney’s body… Don’t know who shot him or what happened to his teenage son… Meh. We still haven’t seen hide nor hair of the Benghazi survivors…

Ellipses are on sale today, just in case anyone was wondering

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The the immoral words of the Sage of Foggy Bottom, Hillary Clinton, “Does it really make a difference.”

NB, immoral :-)

clippermiami on March 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

OT – 2014

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

before swiping the cold steel left to right.

Bishop on March 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

The Won is a Southpaw, so it would have been right to left. Unless he’s amberdextrose and swings both ways.

Oldnuke on March 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Heh.

Great White Shark: “I ate Bin Laden.”

Tiger Shark: “No. I ate Bin laden”

Barracuda: “It was me, it was me, and he tasted….bitter.”

MichaelGabriel on March 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

OT – The USA is Rome, in many ways.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The sequester killed Bin Laden.

wait
[bad = Bush or sequester
good = Obama]

I mean Obama killed Bin Laden

29Victor on March 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Whom to believe?

“The Shooter” story is getting shredded on this site:

Brandon Webb contacted Phil Bronstein before publishing this article asking for comment. Bronstein passed the article along to “The Shooter” with questions of his own. As of now, Bronstein has not heard a word back from his source.

Apparently, he is too busy making personal appearances:

• The “Shooter” was removed from his DEVGRU Squadron for talking about the operation openly after being warned to “can it’

• He was encouraged by leadership to remain in the SEAL community to finish out his career and gain his full retirement benefits

• Apparently against his concerns about personal security he has been very active on the public speaking circuit

PolAgnostic on March 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Who really shot Bin Laden?

the community agitator of course…narcissistic puke…

RedInMD on March 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Heh.

Greatay White Shark: “I ate Bin Laden.”

Tiger Shark: “No. I ate Bin laden”

Barracuda: “It was me, it was me, and he tasted….bitter.”

MichaelGabriel on March 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

fify

hillsoftx on March 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

ThePrez on March 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Don’t look at me when you say old. I’ve actually got that in my favorites playlist.

Oldnuke on March 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

After reading all the conflicting “stories” about The Night Osama Died (that old Paper Lace tune keeps coming back...) I am convinced, to paraphrase my old drill sergeant, this Obama Administration could “F up” a wet dream.

They can’t even get the truth right.

coldwarrior on March 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Don’t be so insensitive. Be sure to include transgenders in future posts, too.

hawkeye54 on March 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

And transvestites! That guy in the picture is wearing a dress.

29Victor on March 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I find it distasteful that this site deliberately chooses ‘ugly’ pictures of president Obama to go along with its posts

nonpartisan on March 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

rogerb on March 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

The sequester killed Bin Laden.

wait
[bad = Bush or sequester
good = Obama]

I mean Obama killed Bin Laden

you got it all wrong:

[bad = Bush or sequester
good = Obama
best = gay marriage]
Easy level:
Gay marriage killed Bin Laden.
Expert level:
Obama’s gay marriage killed bin laden.

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Who really shot Bin Laden?

… and were they gay? Was OBL gay? Was he killed in a fit of gay rage because they couldn’t be married as a result of decades-long socon conspiracies and oppression??!? Would OBL have voted Republican if only the socons had been banished sooner?!

Midas on March 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

ThePrez on March 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Deodato (sp), Clapton or Marley? ;)

Midas on March 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Wait. So the shooter is not Barack Obama? So then it was Jill Biden and the whole thing was just an attempt to scare OBL away from the house?

I’m confused.

BKeyser on March 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Well that was all as clear as mud.

VorDaj on March 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I’m confused.

BKeyser on March 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

You got it.
Jill BiteMe stepped onto the balcony and let loose a couple blasts from her double-barrel shotgun, and just coincidentally hit bin Laden – who was peaking out of an upstairs window…..

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The SEALs did.

Schadenfreude

I heard the seals clubbed Osama to death …..

BD57 on March 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Cripe schadenfreude @3:51

cmsinaz on March 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Just to note; it is an honor and privileged to post here.

Marcus Traianus on March 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I heard the seals clubbed Osama to death …..

BD57 on March 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Nice….

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Barracuda: “It was me, it was me, and he tasted….bitter.”

MichaelGabriel on March 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Obviously he hadn’t just eaten a Snickers….

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

They can’t even get the truth right.

coldwarrior on March 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Never assume they want to tell the truth.

With Obama most premises about him are wrong, dead wrong.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Just to note; it is an honor and privileged to post here.

Marcus Traianus on March 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

See, you’re gay about it.

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Was he gay?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Allahpundit on March 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

You just got trolled. Won’t say if that was gay or not.

Thanks for the laugh, gentlemen.

kim roy on March 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks bin Laden is still alive.

eaglescout_1998 on March 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Oldnuke on March 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM

No, he’d prefer it sweet if that’s the case.

kim roy on March 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Who really shot Bin Laden?

Nobody.

xblade on March 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks bin Laden is still alive.

eaglescout_1998 on March 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

He weighs 300 pounds and runs a string of 7-11s in Orange County….

dentarthurdent on March 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

The economy is going to shit as we build $1 deficits?

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Dude! Even *I* could pay that deficit off! ;)

GWB on March 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Is Obama gay?

nobar on March 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Indubitably.

katy the mean old lady on March 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Johnny Cash. Just to watch him die.

Mr. D on March 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

joeindc44 on March 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Janet’s a twin?

katy the mean old lady on March 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Just to note; it is an honor and privileged to post here.

Marcus Traianus on March 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Suckup.

katy the mean old lady on March 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I shot Bid Laden.
But I did not shoot Ed Morrissey.

/Bob Marley

Paul-Cincy on March 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Now I’m really confused, OBL had three Lesbian wives and he was Gay. How did that work out? Oh yeah, he was shot by his Gay son on accident and Seal Team Six found him dead.

DDay on March 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yea, but he didn’t shoot the Deputy…

Minnfidel on March 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I read No Easy Day. Good quick read with some interesting details and background. I tend to believe the author of that book (as it sounds like the other SEALS do) than Esquire. Because we all know how accurate they are. Cough. Valerie Plame, Cough,

Minnfidel on March 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

changer1701 on March 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Really.

Cleombrotus on March 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Bishop on March 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Nope. The NSA hacked into Bin Laden’s IPod and loaded it with Obama and Hillary speeches, then disabled the ‘off’ button.

Can’t think of a more dastardly way to go.

BobMbx on March 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

It was one of these guys:

Cleombrotus on March 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Brandon Webb was a pretty good pitcher. Too bad he injured himself.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on March 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Do we have any more information or clarification about the ghey, or lack thereof, of the shooter?

Was the shooter, in fact, gay?
If not, why not?
If so, were his needs met?

aquaviva on March 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM