Democratic gay-marriage pool update: North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan endorses SSM

posted at 12:41 pm on March 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

You’ve got to be kidding. How can Tom Carper, my pick in the pool, still be holding out when a red-state Dem whose seat is up next year is switching? Good lord, man: You’re from one of the bluest states in the union and you just got reelected. There’s zero risk. Hand me a victory already. This is embarrassing.

Sen. Kay Hagan said Wednesday that she supported the right of gay people to marry, saying “we should not tell people who they can love or who they can marry.”…

“I know all our families do not look alike,” she added. “We all want the same thing for our families. We want happiness, we want health, prosperity, a bright future for our children and grandchildren. After conversations I’ve had with family members, with people I go to church with and with North Carolinians from all walks of life, I’ve come to my own personal conclusion that we should not tell people who they can love, or who they can marry. It’s time to move forward with this issue.”…

This was a difficult choice for Hagan who faces a potentially faces a tough re-election campaign next year in a culturally conservative state. North Carolina voters last year overwhelmingly approved a state constitutional amendment declaring marriage as being between a man and a woman…

Hagan opposed last year’s amendment as did many Democrats for whom she must rely on for support.

Maybe she figures she’s probably going to lose anyway, in which case she might as well roll the dice. I don’t know. Whatever the reason, this’ll be the ultimate test case of how much of a political liability SSM continues to be. If she can get reelected as a first-term Democratic incumbent in a conservative southern state just two years after it banned gay marriage, then this is effectively a non-issue.

No one had Hagan in the last pool thread so there are no bragging rights this time. Gotta be in it to win it, folks; place your bets below. I’ll grudgingly stick with Carper, but just to make this extra fun, here’s an intriguing tidbit posted last night on Twitter by Meghan McCain:

At least one fellow tweeter wondered whether that means Maverick himself is set to take the plunge. Meg was posting a bunch of pro-SSM stuff yesterday before that. Stay tuned.

While we wait for the next shoe to drop, via Freedom’s Lighthouse, here’s Bill O’Reilly dismissing SSM opponents for doing little more than “thump[ing] the Bible.” I’d heard that Fox has tilted a bit towards the center since the election and I know O’Reilly has always been less orthodox in his politics than, say, Hannity, but … I did not expect this coming from a guy who wrote a book called “Culture Warrior.” Wow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m thinking about making a red infinity sign to raise awareness for the debt.

OliverB on March 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That is great.. There are actually some really cute take offs of the equal sign. Two AR-15 equal signs, two pieces of bacon, and a dividing sign..

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

man I have been working very hard to evolve on this issue and it just ain’t working! can somebody tell me a group I can join to fit in with the victim class in this nation? is there anywhere for a straight white male to go for unwarranted pity that includes some kind of compensation or new right?

DanMan on March 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

“We should not tell people who they can love or who they can marry.” I agree! I want to marry my cat!

WannabeAnglican on March 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Interesting choice by Hagan. She was looking at a tough road even before she came out for SSM.

O’Reilly? He’s never had any principles. He’ll roll over on an issue if he thinks the majority of the “folks” now support it.

TarheelBen on March 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Ok I have to ask. Why does anything anyone says about SSM become a HotAir article, and lots of other stuff goes ignored? Like the Bachmann probe? I know it’s probably a nothingburger, but at least it should be mentioned?
Is HotAir the new gay conservative blog?

ChristianRock on March 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Big news being announced tomorrow… stay tuned.

— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) March 26, 2013

OMG! If Meghan McCain comes out for gay marriage, we are doomed!

/sarc

NOMOBO on March 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Everybody suddenly found it was cool to change their facebook profiles to equal signs in solidarity for gay marriage. …

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I saw that on the wife’s facebook.
I thought it was a set of pink captain bars for the new women in combat brigade.

mechkiller_k on March 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The McCain thing didn’t pan out, thankfully:

Meghan McCain

I am SO EXCITED to announce my first series “Raising McCain” will premiere this summer on Participant’s new cable network PIVOT!!!

blammm on March 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The “big news” from Meggie Mac turned out to be that some idiot is going to giver her a TV show on a “network” I’ve never heard of.

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I quit watching o’realy ages ago.

losarkos on March 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Whelp, this means Kay Hagan wins the North Carolina counties of:

Durham, Orange (Chapel Hill), Wake (Raleigh), Mecklenberg (Charlotte), Buncombe (Asheville).

Heh.