Damn: Ashley Judd decides she won’t run for Senate

posted at 6:01 pm on March 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

I didn’t think defeating her was as much of a gimme as some righties did, but I did think she’d lose. And that there’d be at least one or two or twelve colorful meltdowns on the trail along the way. 2014 just got a lot less kooky, and political blogging is the poorer for it. Alas.

Admit it: Deep down, you wanted to see how she’d walk back that “mountaintop coal removal is like rape” analogy.

A source close to Judd told WaPo, “The timing just wasn’t right.” Is that it? Let’s follow the timeline. Six weeks ago, a friend told a local news outlet that she was leaning towards running. Less than three weeks ago, another “insider” confirmed for Fox News that “in Ashley’s mind, it’s happening,” which is probably a more meaningful choice of phrase than he intended. Then, three days later and likely alarmed at her apparent seriousness, Democrats started to hit the brakes: A Kentucky blog reported that the DSCC was looking at the secretary of state, Alison Lundergan Grimes, as an alternative. National Journal followed the next day with a brutal piece quoting local donors and politicos as saying she’d destroy the party’s chances statewide if she ran. Eight days after that, Politico claimed that “Democratic heavy hitters,” including Bill Clinton, were busy pressuring Grimes to jump in and spare them from a Judd-driven trainwreck. The writing was on the wall, I think, when Donald Trump piped up in the middle of it all to declare that Judd would be a “great candidate.” Gulp.

The lingering question: Did she take the hint or did someone from the politburo actually have to warn her that the party would embarrass her by backing Grimes in a primary if she didn’t bow out? I’m guessing it’s the former, but don’t hold me to it. After all, this is someone who, after being attacked by Rove’s group for running in Kentucky despite the fact that she lives in Tennessee, spent the last month … not doing much campaigning in Kentucky. Oh well.

Comments

“The timing just wasn’t right.”

That’s because timing is gay…

Seven Percent Solution on March 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

You have my sympathy, AP.

rbj on March 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

So is it true ? .. can you see Kentucky from her home in Tennessee ?

J_Crater on March 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

great now you can just focus on just being a typical elitist bitch w/o a clue.

gsherin on March 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM

What’s going on with her puffy face?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I mean, has anyone else noticed?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

AshleyJudd

After serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities & energy at this time need to be focused on my family.

Being a divorcee with no children and a sister who’s a reality TV star now is the only thing she can be focused on at this time.

RickB on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

So, any chance there will be a competitor to mealy-mouth, self-serving, establishment clown mcconnell who is a REAL CONSERVATIVE?

TeaPartyNation on March 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Thank God … if by chance she did win it would have been a disaster. She’s a nut who actually believes democrats fight for the people. It’s that level of ignorance that’s scary.

darwin on March 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Was there anything she hadn’t already compared to rape? Just today she claimed she could withstand running against McConnell since she had been raped twice. After Allahpundit finished with the Dem gay marriage evolution pool he could have picked right up with predicting Ashley’s next rape analogy. Alas, it is not to be.

msmveritas on March 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Someone I know who is close to politics in Kentucky says she’s gonna run in Tennessee against Lamar Alexander instead.

vegconservative on March 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM

There goes the joy and laughter out of KY 2014 Politics…she coulda bend a contenda!

el Vaquero on March 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

*sniff*

buh bye

cmsinaz on March 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I’m guessing she couldn’t find the appropriate mansion to buy in Kentucky and it would take too long to build her dream home, so she opted not to move at all.

ButterflyDragon on March 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

TeaPartyNation on March 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Well you could always write in Judd. In the mean time, he may be a SOB, but at least he’s our SOB.

WryTrvllr on March 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

While I bemoan the lost comedy potential, I am grateful for not having to suffer the angst of her potential election victory.

And in these here United Sodomites, that was a real possibility.

M240H on March 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I wasn’t so sure about this. McConnell is not that popular with the political right and Judd has the dreaded “star power.” I could see her bringing a lot of attention to the race and limping across the finish line by “nationalizing” the race in spite of probably making a fool out of herself repeatedly.

Doomberg on March 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Darn, she isn’t as stupid as I thought.

cozmo on March 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM

darwin on March 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I have a BIL who told me that once. I asked what they did to fight for the people and he gave me a blank look and insisted they were the party for the little guy. You can’t fix stupid.

chemman on March 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Sad thing is she would win. Elections are a thing of the past. One party rule is like that.

DeweyWins on March 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

She should have run.

What’s one more celebrity in D.C.?

And frankly, how could she any worse than what we have now?

PappyD61 on March 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

“The timing just wasn’t right.”

Translation, “the first poll came in and there was no way in hell I was going to win.”

LincolntheHun on March 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

What family? She just kicked the husband to the curb and children are a big no no. Does she think that her sister will be on Dancing with the Stars through 2014? She’s been in the audience from what I read.

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

She didn’t want to have to move back to KY…as a Tennessean, I want to cry…

ladyingray on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Darn, I was going to make a special scrapbook with all her priceless off-the-cuff campaign trail comments and everything. I was even going to have a special section on patriarchal sex and empowerment of the vajayjay. Darn. Liberals suck the fun out of everything.

cynccook on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Utelizing THE MSM Meme:

A QUITTTER,before even starting,………….EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

She step aside so Clooney could run.

RickB on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Although I give the people in Kentucky credit for more sense, if Fauxahontas could win then anyone could.

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Running for senate is like rape. ~~ A. Judd

Blake on March 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I believe “family” is her collective term for her different personalities. How are things? :D

cynccook on March 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

And Fauxcahontas is a ROCK STAR to these people! I haven’t seen this much excitement over a Democrat since John Edwards before the truth came out about him. The Left ADORES her. It’s mystifying.

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

What family?

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Two dogs and three cats that she travels with.

Blake on March 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

— ashley judd (@AshleyJudd) March 27, 2013

In other words, the Democrat Establishment told her to get lost.

TarheelBen on March 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Dear God! What is wrong with her face?!?!

Vancomycin on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I guess it was a real eye opener when she found out that Nashville isn’t in Kentucky.

And when they told her that Denzel Washington isn’t President, well, that was a crusher.

Curtiss on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

** Bye Bye,back to Tennessee,er,Kentucky,er,one of the other 7 States
out of (57) **

canopfor on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

This just demonstrates that Democrats are better at getting rid of their wacko candidates than Republicans are.

Mark1971 on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I mean, has anyone else noticed?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Oh, about that: her team of dermatologists have assured her that she will look awesome once the swelling goes down — in early 2015.

cynccook on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

She was spouting off earlier about being raped twice so that gave here enough strength to go against McConnell.

Darn, I was so hoping for another war on women campaign.

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The last comment I read from her (before withdrawing from the race she was never in) was: “I’ve been raped twice, I can handle Mitch McConnell.”

If that was a sample of her campaign rhetoric, I’d say the timing was definitely not right. There’s no good time to get your butt kicked.

IndieDogg on March 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Heh! Allah was counting his comments before they hatched…./

ted c on March 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Family? Is she still living with Momma and Why-No-Nah?

ted c on March 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

================================================

Hmmmmmm,sounds like an excellent Environmental Wacko Movie remake,

Rape Rape,on CoalBrokenBack Mountain!!!!!!
(snark)

canopfor on March 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Now Ms. Juggs can run against no-chin McConnell in the Primary. I think her chances are better than even especially if she shows those fine tat-tas!

el Vaquero on March 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

She’s an odd duck. SHe has gone around saying that “breeding’ is irresponsible etc. But apparently the split between her and her husband is because of years of fertility treatments she took and couldn’t get pregnant.

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

IndieDogg on March 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Well you know when you are leftist using rape to score political points is a okay..

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Oh, I say and I say it again, ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok!

J_Crater on March 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

************************ AHEM **********************

Second Hopey/GOP Dinner in the Planning!

Why yes,OutRagey,NO?

canopfor on March 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

W

hat’s going on with her puffy face?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I mean, has anyone else noticed?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

obama ordered her to start gorging herself with a funnel and forced food down her throat. he’s going to see if her liver tastes better than foie gras. She’s happy to oblige him. After all, who needs a liver when the king needs it?

acyl72 on March 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I’m just so sad about this. It feels like…rape?

mchristian on March 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

If you guys weren’t so puffy-faceist, she could’ve been a contender.

mudskipper on March 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

ie, she’s a liberal woman

WryTrvllr on March 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Wow, I didn’t even know she was a Lesbian until I saw this post on Hotair.

celt on March 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Ashley Judd: “I have been raped twice, so I think I can handle Mitch McConnell.”

Jason58 on March 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

So why couldn’t The Donald just for once have kept his mouth shut? I was long in popcorn futures and this is gonna hurt bad.

drunyan8315 on March 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

That’s really too bad. I wonder why they didn’t adopt or do a surrogate? You don’t usually see people of means going without something they want.

Cindy Munford on March 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Has anyone pointed out that Miss. Judd is starting to resemble Rosanne Barr?

29Victor on March 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

She’s divorced and has no kids, but she can’t run for Senate because she needs to spend more time with her family?

Is “my family” code for “my team of psychiatrists”?

AZCoyote on March 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

What’s going on with her puffy face?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Multiple scrotum impacts.

Aviator on March 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Multiple scrotum impacts.

Aviator on March 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Line, Aviator. Aviator, Line.

cynccook on March 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I’m sure in her mind “breeding” is irresponsible if the unwashed riff-raff do it. Desirable for the elites.

Aviator on March 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Is that guy in the photo really doing what I think he’s doing? She looks like she is enjoying something.

jake49 on March 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

What’s going on with her puffy face?

Kensington on March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

It’s from the steroids she takes for chronic bronchitis.

SnarkVader on March 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

She used to be pretty hot, pre puffy face.

sbvft contributor on March 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Two bad.

Bmore on March 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Judd/Fluke 2016!

WhatSlushfund on March 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM

The affirmative action quota for liberal airheads has been full for quite some time. Just another braindead dem……

crosshugger on March 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The affirmative action quota for liberal airhead has been filled for quite some time and no vacancies in the near future. Liberal airheads are a dime a dozen……..

crosshugger on March 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Now that’s the kind of evidence supporting natural selection that this Republican can get behind.

blammm on March 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I’d say, someone finally whacked her between the lookers, and she finally saw the “poop painting” on the wall.

waterytart on March 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

To anyone who wonders if she was electable – two words.

AL FRANKEN

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

LarryinLA on March 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Damn: Ashley Judd decides she won’t run for Senate

(moderated)…at least we won’t have to see her t!ts!

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM

So, she hasn’t even run for office yet and already she’s pulling the “spend more time with my family” excuse? Nice!

jnelchef on March 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I can to ensure the needs of Kentucky families are met by returning this Senate seat to whom it rightfully belongs:

Return it?

It wasn’t yours to begin with.

BacaDog on March 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I’m pretty sure that I’ll post something
brilliant later …… Stay tuned ……

Lucano on March 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Holy crap, somebody doesn’t get the meaning of Twitter.

Who needs six tweets for this? What’s wrong with “I’m not running.” It gets the point across and 124 characters to spare. That’s enough for some sort of ASCII kitty, or more in line with Ashley Judd’s rhetoric, to type the word “rape” 31 times.

Gingotts on March 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

To anyone who wonders if she was electable – two words.

AL FRANKEN
BARACK OBAMA

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

LarryinLA on March 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Screw celebrity. Stupid knows no bounds.

Gingotts on March 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Holy crap, somebody doesn’t get the meaning of Twitter.

Gingotts on March 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My initial thought exactly and I don’t even tweet.

Happy Nomad on March 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

To anyone who wonders if she was electable – two words.

AL FRANKEN

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

LarryinLA on March 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong ….. isn’t Minnesota generally considered a RED state, with rampant voter-fraud to boot?

Kentucky definitely is not so much.

listens2glenn on March 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Ashley’s throwing in the towel? Now we’ll have to talk about her puffy face.

disa on March 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

LarryinLA on March 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

H only won because of voter fraud – and we got Obamacare as a result of a “few” stolen votes.

disa on March 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Congratulations to “Bone Collector” Karl Rove and all the gang at American Crossroads! Knockout punch! Keep it coming.

Anil Petra on March 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

What a shame…if ever there was a washed up Mediocre Hollywood actress I would have liked to see defeated in one of the major Senate races, she would have been on the top of the list. Maybe they could draft someone like Cher instead! and like others have said, what family?

scalleywag on March 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

There are lots of medical conditions that would cause her fece to be so puffy, also a lot of meds have side effects that would cause that. I’m no doctor but that would be my guess, maybe she has medical problems.

scalleywag on March 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

melle1228 on March 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Defense mechanism. Infertility sucks.

cptacek on March 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

So, we have seen that the Dems don’t flush potentially winnable elections by running unelectable candidates. There’s something for Republicans to learn from this lesson.

ghostwriter on March 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Mark1971 on March 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Spot on.

ghostwriter on March 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM

What’s Emanuel doing in that picture?

Schadenfreude on March 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Who is that bloated chick with the pufferfish cheeks?

Sherman1864 on March 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Way to write a novel on Twitter, Ashley Judd.

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

This is the saddest news ever.

steebo77 on March 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Ashley Judd decides she won’t run for Senate

…And in return, the other Senate candidates have decided they won’t sing country music in public!!

landlines on March 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM